View Full Version : RE: Another Cachemate Question

firefighterjake
06-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I tell ya, it's me and electronics . . . sometimes the good ol' days of toting along half a ream of paper seemed easier.

Lately the Cachemate program has come up with a message stating that there is an error building my cache list due to an error or user cancel . . . it does this whenever I try to use the "find nearest locations to this cache" feature which often proves quite handy . . . especially if you don't have area caches mapped out ahead of time.

Any suggestions . . . has anyone else had this problem? Everything else seems to be working fine with the program.

aaronpriest
06-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Palm or PocketPC? I don't have my PocketPC in front of me, but is there a way to rebuild or reindex the database?

Haffy
06-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I posted the question on the GC forums and this is one answer I received that might be of some help. http://www.smittyware.com/forums/

aaronpriest
06-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't see that you've got any replies yet on their forum (SmittyWare that is)...

firefighterjake
06-27-2007, 03:22 PM
I posted the question on the GC forums and this is one answer I received that might be of some help. http://www.smittyware.com/forums/

Thanks Haffy . . . no answers yet . . . but I've marked the site and thread in case someone has an idea . . . I'm hoping and thinking it's probably something stupid that I've done.

Gob-ler
06-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Jake

When you installed Cachemate did you also install the Mathlib program addon?

When you do a find the nearest search it is the mathlib addon that does the computing.

If you have installed the addon program then you might try removing cachemate and reinstalling it. Sometimes that works wonders.

firefighterjake
06-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Jake

When you installed Cachemate did you also install the Mathlib program addon?

When you do a find the nearest search it is the mathlib addon that does the computing.

If you have installed the addon program then you might try removing cachemate and reinstalling it. Sometimes that works wonders.

I don't think I installed the ML program . . . just Cachemate . . . unless it was bundled with CM and I didn't realize it at the time.

Gob-ler
06-28-2007, 07:12 AM
If memory serves me correctly, the MathLib addon is available at the same page where cachemate is. Just click on it to download and then run it. That should stop the error message your getting and allow the search to complete.

Mathlib is at the bottom of the cachemate page, just click on it or here is the link:

http://www.radiks.net/~rhuebner/mathlib.html

Haffy
06-28-2007, 08:36 AM
It should have been bundled with the program at least it was with mine along with the prc program.

firefighterjake
06-28-2007, 09:54 AM
If memory serves me correctly, the MathLib addon is available at the same page where cachemate is. Just click on it to download and then run it. That should stop the error message your getting and allow the search to complete.

Mathlib is at the bottom of the cachemate page, just click on it or here is the link:

http://www.radiks.net/~rhuebner/mathlib.html

OK, Haffy was right . . . I found it with the other CM program stuff. I hot synched it again to my Palm . . . no changes. I then tried hot synching the CM program to the Palm with the idea of restarting . . . again no changes. Do I need to first remove the MathLib add-on and/or CM program before hot synching it or does a hot synch automatically replace the older program . . . and if I do need to remove the program or programs manually how do I do this?

Haffy
06-28-2007, 11:00 AM
I would go to the original program and uninstall everything associated with Cahemate and then reinstall everything again along with the Mathlib and PRC programs. Hope that does the trick.

WhereRWe?
06-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I would go to the original program and uninstall everything associated with Cahemate and then reinstall everything again along with the Mathlib and PRC programs. Hope that does the trick.

I haven't heard of this problem before, but something in my gut is telling me that it isn't a Cachemate problem. Something else...

Or it could be those 2 tacos I had for lunch talking back...

Sheesh! :o :o

firefighterjake
07-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Since I went on a caching trip to the County a couple weeks ago I decided to not mess around with CM or GSAK too much less I risk deleting everything and not being able to use my PDA at all. However, today I had some time so I deleted everything and then reinstalled everything . . . and I still have the same problem. Any more suggestions?

WhereRWe?
07-12-2007, 06:41 PM
What kind of PDA do you have? Did you do a "hard reset" on the PDA before you reinstalled everything? :confused: :confused:

Haffy
07-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Did you post the question in the Cachemate forums? http://www.smittyware.com/forums/

I don;t know how forthcoming they are with answers but it is a start anyway.

firefighterjake
07-13-2007, 07:59 AM
What kind of PDA do you have? Did you do a "hard reset" on the PDA before you reinstalled everything? :confused: :confused:

Palm TX . . . and no I didn't do a hard or even a soft reset before reinstalling. I just turned the unit off and then on again. Maybe this is the next thing to try.

firefighterjake
07-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Did you post the question in the Cachemate forums? http://www.smittyware.com/forums/

I don;t know how forthcoming they are with answers but it is a start anyway.

I haven't tried this yet . . . maybe it's time I broke down and cast the proverbial wider net to see if I can get some answers.

WhereRWe?
07-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Palm TX . . . and no I didn't do a hard or even a soft reset before reinstalling. I just turned the unit off and then on again. Maybe this is the next thing to try.

Try it. A hard reset should clear out the odd strands of code that may be corrupting your program. Can't hurt, if you've already deleted everything anyway... :D :D

Team2hunt
07-13-2007, 09:53 PM
I used to have that error message show up when looking for "nearest". I had too many caches in the Palm for the memory to work, I think it was around 2800 or so. I made the databases smaller and that worked. Hope this helps.

firefighterjake
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
I have to say I'm like that monkey in the zoo . . . I'll keep poking buttons until either the banana comes out or in my case the program starts working correctly . . . I'm about halfway there now . . . the Cachemate "find caches nearest to this cache" feature now works, but it comes up with a blank listing . . . back to poking buttons I guess.;) :D

Sabby
07-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Did you enter a distance??? :)

firefighterjake
07-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Did you enter a distance??? :)

I tried it with and without a distance plugged in and I just get a blank listing (not a blank screen -- just a blank listing.)

Sabby
07-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Interesting!

When I search with 0 miles it lists all the caches, with 30 miles it gives only those within 30 miles.

I usually search from a known cache. ie from the Cachemate list of all find a cache and when the "Info' comes up select Cachemate, Nearest Caches,

It already has the coordinates for the cache , hit OK. All directions are checked. I enter 30 in distance , no boxes checked. hit OK

It does computation and shows the caches within the specified range.

casseysmith
08-28-2008, 01:08 AM
I have personal computer in home. But I think it is better if pocket computer is available.

================================================== ======

casseysmith

Maine Alcohol Addiction Treatment (http://www.alcoholaddiction.org/maine)

Opalsns
08-28-2008, 09:01 AM
FFJ,
Maybe if you make more LADDERS, it'll work. LOL!!!!
Opalsns

firefighterjake
08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
An old thread brought back from the dead . . . actually my Palm somehow fixed itself when I uploaded the updated Pocket Queries from GSAK into the Palm . . . I don't know how and I don't know why . . . all I know is that it works now so I'm happy.

Aniecruz
08-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Papa_Bear Left (Ian) has been the inspiration for me to change to almost total paper free caching (exception listed below) and for this I thank him for his help and advice. However, there is another method that is similar but is easier (and slightly cheaper - always a bonus) to use than PBL's technique using iSiloX (PC program) and iSilo (Palm OS PDA program). This method also uses the well-known and increasingly useful GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) but this time with a program called Cachemate. There are now 2 versions of Cachemate for PDAs. One is for the Palm OS type and the other is for Pocket PC type. I write this article mainly from the Palm OS perspective, for that is the PDA type I own.

------------------------
Aniecruz

firefighterjake
08-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Papa_Bear Left (Ian) has been the inspiration for me to change to almost total paper free caching (exception listed below) and for this I thank him for his help and advice. However, there is another method that is similar but is easier (and slightly cheaper - always a bonus) to use than PBL's technique using iSiloX (PC program) and iSilo (Palm OS PDA program). This method also uses the well-known and increasingly useful GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) but this time with a program called Cachemate. There are now 2 versions of Cachemate for PDAs. One is for the Palm OS type and the other is for Pocket PC type. I write this article mainly from the Palm OS perspective, for that is the PDA type I own.

------------------------
Aniecruz

Uh . . . I'm not exactly sure what is being said here. Maybe it's just me being dense (well more dense than usual) but this is my translation of the above thread.

Gibberish goobly gook caching gibberish goobly gook advice gibberish goobly gook bonus gibberish goobly gook PC gibberish goobly gook Hiram is a-number one geocacher gibberish goobly gook GSKA gibberish goobly gook Cachemate gibberish goobly gook PDA.

:D;)

hide_from_the_kids
08-29-2008, 08:38 AM
Whats With The Maine Alcohol Addiction Treatment Link. This Is The Third Post In The Last Two Weeks I've Seen With This. All By Different Usernames. The First One Was By A User Named Hennry That Sparked Off A Whole Thing About Ip Addresses. Then The Two Above.

firefighterjake
08-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Whats With The Maine Alcohol Addiction Treatment Link. This Is The Third Post In The Last Two Weeks I've Seen With This. All By Different Usernames. The First One Was By A User Named Hennry That Sparked Off A Whole Thing About Ip Addresses. Then The Two Above.

I'm thinking about Spam. Fried spam with eggs. Spam chopped up and mixed with mayonaise on bread. Spam with. . . .;):D

hide_from_the_kids
08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm thinking about Spam. Fried spam with eggs. Spam chopped up and mixed with mayonaise on bread. Spam with. . . .;):D

SPAM WITH BAKED BEANS...... MAYBE THATS WHY YOU HAVE IRRITATED BOWELS...:D

firefighterjake
08-29-2008, 10:52 AM
SPAM WITH BAKED BEANS...... MAYBE THATS WHY YOU HAVE IRRITATED BOWELS...:D

Come to think of it I did have baked beans yesterday at Buck's Naked BBQ.