View Full Version : MaineTrek - TAT

Kaching Karen
06-30-2007, 06:49 AM
Today, TAT leaves on his Maine Trek. He is paddling the MITA trails to help raise money for National Brain Tumor Foundation. This is the site that you can follow him at http://mainetrek.com. Best of luck to him and I hope to see him on the trail.

hollora
06-30-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the news - and yes, our very best to our friend!

Foxgloves
06-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Tat

Please be safe and have a wonderful adventure.
You are one brave person!!!!

Take lots of pictures of your trip that you can share with us when you get back.

Haffy
06-30-2007, 10:16 AM
What a great thing to be doing this summer. Hope he has some great weather and returns with some great stories and photos and most of all raises awareness and funds for the NBTF. Good luck my friend!!!

tat
06-30-2007, 07:07 PM
I made it York today. And, to a cool new phone, I better internet than when I lived in house. I'll get some pics posted as soon as I figure out how.

Thanks to all for supporting the NBTF, that's what it's about.

vicbiker
07-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Best wishes from Cheryl and I...you'll be in our thoughts and prayers.Hope to talk to you soon. Stay safe.

Cache Maine
07-01-2007, 07:57 PM
There was a nice write up in the Bangor Daily News this weekend about Tat's trek. Here is some more information in case anyone was looking for it.

Kayaking the islands
By Jeff Strout (jstrout@bangordailynews.net)
Saturday, June 30, 2007 - Bangor Daily News

Kittery resident Tom Tieman is a man on a mission: to fight brain cancer.
Beginning today at Kittery he intends to paddle the Maine Island trail some 350 miles to Machiasport to honor the legacy of his sister-in-law and to inspire his co-worker’s continued fight against brain cancer.
It is his hope the journey will raise awareness and $10,000 in donations in support of the National Brain Tumor Foundation. In the United States, every day 500 adults and children are diagnosed with brain tumors, according to the foundation.
To learn more about NBTF, contact them at 800-934-CURE (2873) or www.braintumor.org (http://www.braintumor.org). And to learn more about Tieman visit www.MaineTrek.com (http://www.MaineTrek.com), or to make a donation to help him meet his goal, visit his personal online page at www.firstgiving.com/MaineTrek (http://www.firstgiving.com/MaineTrek).

hollora
07-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Have made a donation - this is a challenge - come on GCM folks - let's step up.

Thanks for sharing the link CM!

Sure would be nice to catch up to Tom in Stonington this summer. We will be watching his journey,

Sudonim
07-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm in!
Saw the BDN writeup. It was short, but nice to read.

attroll
07-05-2007, 08:17 PM
If you could donate other then a credit card I would jump on the band wagon and donate.

Cache Maine
07-06-2007, 07:45 AM
If you could donate other then a credit card I would jump on the band wagon and donate.

I noticed this as well. If there are a bunch that would like to donate, I can do a one time collect and transfer to the fund for Tat. Let me know if others are interested.

Beach Comber
07-06-2007, 11:45 AM
[quote=hollora;33509]Have made a donation - this is a challenge - come on GCM folks - let's step up.[quote]

I donated as well. The challenge idea is a great one Lois!!!

Hiram357
07-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I'll hopefully be doing this next week, I have to make some donations to my landlord and bank first...

hollora
07-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I'll hopefully be doing this next week, I have to make some donations to my landlord and bank first...

Absolutely Hiram and we do understand that those all come first!:D

Just remember no matter how big or small your donation to TAT's mission - every $1 counts. No matter how small (or big) donate if you can possibly do it.:)

Team2hunt
07-06-2007, 04:25 PM
And this one really counts! Good luck Professor. See you when you finish. You can count on us all being there at the end. :) :p :D :cool:

tat
07-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks everybody! It'sreally a big boost to see so many supporting this cause.

Sudonim
07-06-2007, 11:14 PM
After Tom's done with the trip, he's going to need a fund for chapped hands and saddle sores too! Long time 'in the saddle' on this trip.

Kaching Karen
07-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Well, I got out in my kayak with TAT on Wednesday. I met him at Lobster Bouy campground which is north of Tenants Harbor. It was pretty foggy, but we decided to hug the shoreline and hope the fog lifted before we had to make a crossing to an island that was for camping. Well, we couldn't see a thing all day except for a hand floating in the water. My heart was in my throat when I saw that. TAT proved to me it was only a floating rubber glove. We got a cache at Birch Point and took a small break on a cute island. The fog lifted as we sat there and we were hopeful that we'd have a clear view of the crossing we'd have to make. The sunshine god was not with us. We got in our kayaks and had to make the crossing, through a small shipping lane, in the fog. As we were sitting there listening for motors a lobsterman chugged up to us and asked us if were lost. It must have been interesting seeing two kayaks sitting in pea-soup fog. Well, between the charts and the GPS we made the correct bearing and made it to land. I am the CRIBBAGE queen! TAT is the Yatzee king.
The next day we did about two miles. We did a cache and then we thought we'd be waiting for about 8 hours in Rockland for TAT's brother to shuttle me back to my car, so we killed time by kayaking to the Rockland Breakwater. We met a couple there and just by chance they were headed back to their cottage which was right next door to where I parked my car! They gave us a drive to the car and we went back to Rockland to get the kayaks, where I learned that chivalry is not dead and TAT learned about the "shipwreck" in the harbor. So after another found cache we headed to Augusta and met Robt there.
TAT got to talk to a lot of people in Rockland about his trek. It's fun to listen to his stories and enthusiasm. Don't forget to check up on TAT at www.mainetrek.com and support his journey.

Haffy
07-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Been following his adventures the whole time and reading his blogs as well. Sure wish I could have joined him. Can't support him monetarily right now but I am with him in spirit.