View Full Version : shuttle in Bath area

Kaching Karen
07-11-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm hoping to kayak with TAT on Thursday and maybe Friday morning. I'm looking for a shuttle to my car in the Bath area either Thursday night or Friday. My car will be at Hermit Island campsite area. Right at the moment plans are sketchy, but the mileage won't be that great. I'm waiting to hear back from TAT. I'm more than willing to help with gas.

Gob-ler
07-11-2007, 09:03 AM
What do you need Karen and when?

Kaching Karen
07-11-2007, 01:29 PM
It looks like Five Islands is the area that I would need to be picked up at. Here's the cruncher... I don't know if it's Thursday night or Friday morning. Both work for me.
Five Islands is on Map 7 of the Maine Delorme Gazetteer (1D).
I'd need a drive to Hermit Island which is Map 6 (4E). It's about a 30 mile trip.

Gob-ler
07-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Hi Karen

Pretty sure I can help you out.

Let me know when you know when and then exactly where you need picked up. I have been down and around both areas.
Will await word from you.

Gob-ler

Haffy
07-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Now that's what I call a great friend and geocachers helping one another.

Kaching Karen
07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks so much Gob-ler. TAT is about to paddle a part of the trail I did a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully, I can be of some help.

Gob-ler
07-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I met up with TAT and Kaching Karen this morning and got them to where they needed to go. Had an interesting ride and enjoyed the stories.

Be safe out there!

Kaching Karen
07-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Here's what I wrote as a comment in Tom's blog today:

"Well, I must say we had a wonderful time yesterday and this morning. We got a variety of conditions to kayak in and met them head on with a smile and a laugh. We may be getting old and the aches and pains can be yelling at us at times, but it sure is worth it! My trip with Tom started with a lousy surf entry and ripped shorts, but that was not an omen of what the day would be like. Over the two days we saw ospreys, a seal, and tons of seagulls. We'd listen to the waves crashing on the rocks and comment on what a wonderful sound it was (as long as were not involved in the crashing). Punching though rollers at Poplam Beach was a lot of fun; the type of fun and excitement where you get the heart racing. The company was great and there were times when the two of us were just quietly paddling and enjoying what living in Maine has got to offer. Many, many thanks to Dick Lyle (Gobbler) and his wife for giving us a shuttle. Today, I stood on the dock and watched Tom paddle out of Five Islands Harbor and desperately wanted to reload my boat and go with him. Best of luck to Tom while his fund-raiser builds."

You can contact Tom through his e-mail on his web site www.mainetrek.com . It's funny to watch him stand on logs, climb to higher ground and raise his phone to the airway gods to get reception and the internet. I so desperately wanted to continue on with him today, but felt obligated to get back home. Little did I know that my plans for the weekend would be cancelled. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

I hope to get out and join him soon. There's lots of ways you can support him and his cause. I took him water and fuel and we had to backtrack by land today to retrieve his shaving kit at Hermit Island. I appreciated Gobbler's shuttle so much which ended up being a good thing for both Tom and I. Just seeing a friendly face can be a big thing.

So, I hope to join him again soon. I felt awkward asking for a shuttle, but I may do it again. It's a way to help and keep this trek alive.

Paddle safe, TAT!

hollora
07-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Nice to have an update here on TAT's progress. The blog and web site are there but this is so personal. Karen - never hesitate to ask - the friends you have here.

Cheers to Gob-ler who helps in many ways!

Safe journey TAT - hope you miss the storms which are circling here!

tat
07-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks again, Dick, having Karen to paddle with on that stretch was the highlight of the trip.

Having such great support along the way is truely an inspiration.

Thanks!