View Full Version : Time for a Rant: Travel Bug Goals

WhereRWe?
07-16-2007, 09:08 AM
What do people think about placing "goals" on their travel bugs (reaching a certain country, event or cache, for example)?

I've mentioned before that we consider moving TB's one of the more enjoyable parts of geocaching, but lament that - even though we've gone out of our way to help a TB to it's goal - that we've NEVER received a thanks from the cache owner.

(And several times we've gotten emails from TB owners asking why we haven't moved a dropped of their TB yet - when we've only had it for a week or less!)

I think communication between cachers is great, and often email a cacher to thank them for a photo of a TB in an interesting spot, or for helping move the TB along.

Why can't people say "Thanks"???

:( :(

hollora
07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
What do people think about placing "goals" on their travel bugs (reaching a certain country, event or cache, for example)?

I've mentioned before that we consider moving TB's one of the more enjoyable parts of geocaching, but lament that - even though we've gone out of our way to help a TB to it's goal - that we've NEVER received a thanks from the cache owner.

(And several times we've gotten emails from TB owners asking why we haven't moved a dropped of their TB yet - when we've only had it for a week or less!)

I think communication between cachers is great, and often email a cacher to thank them for a photo of a TB in an interesting spot, or for helping move the TB along.

Bruce, I have to agree with you that thanks go a long way. I have tried, when a cacher has done something special with one of my TBs to email them. Have met some wonderful folks by taking the time to write.

Some of my TBs have gotten stuck but I try not to bug who has them until a long time has gone by. Fortunately I have had wonderful luck with folks response. One TB I had was really packed away in a back pac and the folks returned it to me via mail.

A pet peeve of mine was a cache I placed and asked for "one for one exchanges" and folks were taking a few Tbs or coins and leaving less than they took. Then the cachers assumed if their TBs were in this cache they were being held "hostage". As you and I know, not so. Their movement would only be controled by the cachers who visited.

Most folks have down how to log caches but the logging of TBs sometimes is a problem for new folks. Also, if they take one from a cache and it hasn't been dropped into that cache on line - it is nice to give folks a bit of a chance to log dropping it. Not everyone logs their caches, TB/coin drops, etc. within a few hours - especially if folks are on vacation.

Thanks for starting this tread - it should be interesting.

teamdozer12
07-16-2007, 11:01 AM
OK, well to add to this rant.....:D A fellow cacher has had my daughter's TB since April!!!! She has been very dissappointed as she loved watching it travel around! I waited about six weeks to email the cacher, (I thought that was more than reasonable) HE NEVER RESPONDED! I waited another month...same thing...and another month same thing! Each time I have been nice asking him to please move this bug on, because it is my 8 year old daughters.....NOTHING! I hate when cachers who don't go out caching often take these TB's and don't place them in a resonable amount of time. If you would of asked me how I felt about it a couple of months ago, I was patient to say the least! NOW, 4 months later, I AM JUST PEEVED!

Bottom line don't take a trackable if you cannot move it on! I don't take them anymore, just because of the reponsibility and I feel guilty if I have one for more than a week. The only time I take one now, is if I can help it along with it's goal. Like last month I grabbed a TB in a cache and it wanted to visit each state. NH was not checked off, so I took it and moved it to NH on our camping trip!

As far as emails of thanks, I can honestly say that I have gotten quite a few of thanks. Maybe I have just been lucky so far and I have had the luck of having TB's with owners that have ethics and morals. LOL! I myself try to email some one when a TB of mine moves on. However, I only own 2 in circulation. One that has been stuck in a cache for a while and the other that has been stuck in some cacher's backpack since April being held hostage! So I haven't had much luck with our bugs moving on that often.

Anyhow, there is my rant!!

Hiram357
07-16-2007, 03:32 PM

I agree, it is nice to hear back from a TB owner that's tracking their TBs... but most of my emails to other cachers about my TBs have never been very positive... both of our TBs are gone, I got an email from a cacher saying that he found parts of My Hiram TB left in the cache (but I did send him a thank you for letting me know his fate) and our Donkey TB has been MIA for a few months now, (I've sent 2 emails to the cacher with no response) I think if people communicated about their TBs more, maybe less of them would end up into the great unknown...

WhereRWe?
07-16-2007, 05:12 PM
I agree, it is nice to hear back from a TB owner that's tracking their TBs... but most of my emails to other cachers about my TBs have never been very positive... both of our TBs are gone.

I think a major problem with missing TBs is that new cachers get excited, pickup a TB, then quickly lose their enthusiasm and forget about the TB. Several of my lost TB's were in the hands of cachers who don't cache any more.

But there ARE bright sides! I've been told that my GeoMaine Furby TB, that has been to China and is now in Germany, is on it's way to New Zealand! :D :D

brdad
07-17-2007, 05:45 AM
I have never had great luck with TBs. Mine keep going lost, and like a bad luck charm, almost every time when I pick one up something comes up and I end up holding onto it longer than I had expected. I picked up one about a month ago I that was suitable to visit Old 470, and since then my caching activities have all but stopped. My logging of the Delorme Challenge has been delayed, My qualifications for Tat's Delorme Unique areas cache is up in the air, and my available caching time has been cut drastically due to family and friend commitments. Not sure I will ever bother picking one up again!

But I agree - communication is a good thing. This particular TB was placed in a cache but never logged into it, so the TB owner had no idea where it was. I emailed her when I picked it up and told her. But I never heard a thanks or anything back!

WhereRWe?
07-17-2007, 07:18 AM
To add to the misery, here's the text of an email I just got:

"FawverFamily posted a note for Looking for Roger (Travel Bug Dog Tag) at 7/16/2007

Log Date: 7/16/2007
I am sorry to report that the cache this bug was in has been taken by someone. They didn't just take the bugs, they took the entire ammo can as well. I hope this bug turns up in another cache soon. If I find any information, I will let you know...."

And this was a TB hotel, so several other TB's went missing in the snatch!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

team teebow
07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Ok I will add my two cents to this topic.......

Team Teebow doesn't pick up TB's anymore from caches nor do we send out any personal TB's anymore. We have several TB's out there some where.

On a positive note, Our daughter had great luck with her Crocky TB. Crocky went missing for months and then showed up in the hands of an Australian. Crocky's goal was to get to the Australia zoo and meet Steve Irwin. Well, guess what!! Crocky made it to the zoo and the cacher took many pictures at the zoo and even sent our daughter a great package filled with many items from the zoo and Australia. This cacher went above and beyond. We sent a thank you card and some Maine items back to the cacher. Now our daughter has a pen pal from Australia. The cachers grandson. So, I guess we had great luck with this one TB but the others, well.........they are all MIA.

I could add much more to this rant but I think I will just keep my post short and sweet. I will add that yes, we have been guilty of keeping a TB too long or a coin too long. We just pick them up and then forget we even have them.

firefighterjake
07-17-2007, 12:17 PM
To add to the misery, here's the text of an email I just got:

"FawverFamily posted a note for Looking for Roger (Travel Bug Dog Tag) at 7/16/2007

Log Date: 7/16/2007
I am sorry to report that the cache this bug was in has been taken by someone. They didn't just take the bugs, they took the entire ammo can as well. I hope this bug turns up in another cache soon. If I find any information, I will let you know...."

And this was a TB hotel, so several other TB's went missing in the snatch!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sadly there was a TB Hotel here in Maine that had a similar fate. I never found the cache container, but I did manage to find one TB. I sent this TB along its way and e-mailed the owners of the other TBS listed in this cache to let them know of the possible fate of their TBs.

I must also admit that I don't often thank folks for moving my TB . . . although I have done so for folks who post pics. Conversely I don't expect or necessarily want a thank you from folks when I have moved their TB -- I just figure it's part and parcel of the game and no thanks is necessary, but rather implied.

I think I've been fortunate with my TBs. Two have been moving for several months now -- one of which is surprising since it is a bit larger than most TBs I have seen. One TB however has been stuck in a cache since last November . . . or it may not be there at all. I have since posted a question at the cache asking someone to confirm if it is there or MIA.

WhereRWe?
07-17-2007, 01:52 PM
On a positive note, Our daughter had great luck with her Crocky TB. Crocky went missing for months and then showed up in the hands of an Australian. Crocky's goal was to get to the Australia zoo and meet Steve Irwin. Well, guess what!! Crocky made it to the zoo and the cacher took many pictures at the zoo and even sent our daughter a great package filled with many items from the zoo and Australia. This cacher went above and beyond.

I have "The Moxie Bug" (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=ed323ddf-3547-4345-85d0-46000cdf17cd) traveling around - currently in Alabama. Some time ago, a cacher in Michigan had it and emailed me asking about Moxie. I, being a nice guy, offered to send them a can of Moxie. They accepted the offer, I spent $5 to send it, but never heard from them again - not even a 'thank you".

(Oh - and I just checked. "The Moxie Bug" is not located in the cache it's listed in. Seems many other TB's have vanished from that cache as well...)

firefighterjake
07-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I have "The Moxie Bug" (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=ed323ddf-3547-4345-85d0-46000cdf17cd) traveling around - currently in Alabama. Some time ago, a cacher in Michigan had it and emailed me asking about Moxie. I, being a nice guy, offered to send them a can of Moxie. They accepted the offer, I spent $5 to send it, but never heard from them again - not even a 'thank you".

(Oh - and I just checked. "The Moxie Bug" is not located in the cache it's listed in. Seems many other TB's have vanished from that cache as well...)

Well, d'uh Bruce . . . poor guy probably took one swig of that Moxie thinking it was orange soda and then thought you were trying to poison him. ;) :D No wonder you never heard from him again.

Like many things in life, Moxie is most definitely an acquired taste . . . I love the stuff personally and find it to be one of the more refreshing sodas, but I dislike the diet stuff (unlike other diet sodas) so I only drink the real McCoy once in a blue moon (about as often as I drink Woodchuck Ciders) so they're a real treat.

pjpreb
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
We sent out 3 travel bugs all of which went missing shortly after their release. :( We have helped many a TB along on their quest and will continue to do so but have been pretty discouraged as TB owners.

WhereRWe?
07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
We have helped many a TB along on their quest and will continue to do so but have been pretty discouraged as TB owners.

It was interesting to see the travel bug area at GeoWoodstock 5. They had a BIG tent, and tables with big bins on them, all labeled with the geographic goals of the TB's. (For some reason, the New England bin was always pretty empty! LOL!)

We brought back many bugs, and knowing that we were going to be vacationing in Quebec, took as many Canada-bound TB's as we thought we could move.

We were especially impressed by an obviously German couple who were grabbing MANY TB's from the Europe-bound bin. I thought that was great!

(I admit that I am amazed that , if you visit the GeoWoodstock 5 website (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7fcc0bec-2c2b-4552-bf58-985df4e6a21d) now, ther are NO TB's still listed on the site. I consider this AMAZING!!! :D :D

d’76
07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
It was interesting to see the travel bug area at GeoWoodstock 5. They had a BIG tent, and tables with big bins on them, all labeled with the geographic goals of the TB's. (For some reason, the New England bin was always pretty empty! LOL!)

We brought back many bugs, and knowing that we were going to be vacationing in Quebec, took as many Canada-bound TB's as we thought we could move.

We were especially impressed by an obviously German couple who were grabbing MANY TB's from the Europe-bound bin. I thought that was great!

(I admit that I am amazed that , if you visit the GeoWoodstock 5 website (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7fcc0bec-2c2b-4552-bf58-985df4e6a21d) now, ther are NO TB's still listed on the site. I consider this AMAZING!!! :D :D

Bruce... Your up aweful late

Cache Maine
07-19-2007, 12:06 PM

Devils advocate here, but I find it very hard to believe that with the amount of bugs that went through there, something didn't go askew. Then I remembered, they cataloged all the numbers so if something did go missing, they could have just marked it unknown location or move it to a graveyard somewhere. I could be wrong and indeed the process was perfect, but tell me again how many bugs went through there? Anybody remember?

Update: 6157 and here's one (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=295458) that didn't make it from the first 40 or so.

WhereRWe?
07-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Bruce... Your up aweful late

LOL! I had to go to a meeting - logged on when I got home! :D :D

WhereRWe?
07-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Devils advocate here, but I find it very hard to believe that with the amount of bugs that went through there, something didn't go askew. Then I remembered, they cataloged all the numbers so if something did go missing, they could have just marked it unknown location or move it to a graveyard somewhere. I could be wrong and indeed the process was perfect, but tell me again how many bugs went through there? Anybody remember?

Update: 6157 and here's one (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=295458) that didn't make it from the first 40 or so.

They must have moved all tb's taken but not logged out into the "unknown location" category.

WhereRWe?
07-22-2007, 04:46 PM
I've ranted before about our Maine Chickadee Plate TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=56870) being stranded on an island off the coast of Sweden for the last 11 months.

(That's another rant! I don't think people should place TB's in out-of-the way caches. Unless it's their own TB. Most TB owners want their bugs to MOVE! LOL!)

Well, the TB has been picked up and is on the move. For what it's worth, here's the log entry:

"Denna TB har ju legat här länge, så nu får den röra på sig."

Why do I think that the entry says "This TB has been here too long! LOL!

PLMerry
07-26-2007, 12:51 PM
I have had mixed luck with TB and GeoCoins. I now have had two GeoCoins since leaving ME that I cannot find. They might be in my car stranded in ME (see post largest TB ever here) or within all my stuff that was moved for me while I was at the funeral in TX. I did post notes to both of the owners letting them know what was up.

My biggest problem is with cache owners that report my GeoCoins as "location unknown" and don't even bother to communicate with the owner. One even got peaved with me for asking for more information when what he told me did not match with any of the log entries.

Twice though with my Army GeoCoin I have gotten messages say my child pick this up and did not realize what it was. Both time the GeoCoin was placed into another cache without being properly logged. Made for some work for me to straighten out the logs, but I wasglad for the email and for the GeoCoins return.

I haved moved many TB and GeoCoins all over the northeast and south central US and have had great fun doig it.

The one other problem I have had is with TB that have no information attached to them. Then when I get to a location where I can get internet access and log them only to find out I have carried them many, if not hundreds of, miles in the wronge direction. One in VA I picked up near DC on my way home from VA to OH. When I got home I found out it was trying to get to the White House, Oooops. It had started in Iowa and it was more than halfway back home.

One last frustration is when I notice that cachers have been visiting a cache but continue to leave a travel bug there. Even if they don't want to take it with them a discovery note would be nice so that I at least know that it is in fact still there.

Pete
aka PLMerry

firefighterjake
07-26-2007, 02:07 PM
I messed up on a TB pick-up and drop-off last week as I did the pick-up and drop-off in the same day and didn't record the TB number properly for some reason. Fortunately I was able to contact the TB owner and he sent me the correct number and I was able to fix my mistake.

I agree with you on the lack of mission messages -- I too have picked up a TB and then found out that I could not help it out on its mission and may have in fact set it back somewhat . . . I also had the same thing happen to one of my TBs (which had a mission statement attached to it even) where it almost reached the designated cache in Alaska . . . and then a cacher brought it all the way back to New Hampshire.

I try to move TBs whenever I come across them and find that oftentimes moving them to caches close to main drags, tourist areas or new caches will help move them along a bit faster. I will confess however that I have passed up some TBs on occasion for various reasons (i.e. size of TB, mission of TB, not going caching anytime soon, etc.) and I suppose you're right . . . marking it down as a find would be reassuring for the cache owner. Point taken.

I have had mixed luck with TB and GeoCoins. I now have had two GeoCoins since leaving ME that I cannot find. They might be in my car stranded in ME (see post largest TB ever here) or within all my stuff that was moved for me while I was at the funeral in TX. I did post notes to both of the owners letting them know what was up.

My biggest problem is with cache owners that report my GeoCoins as "location unknown" and don't even bother to communicate with the owner. One even got peaved with me for asking for more information when what he told me did not match with any of the log entries.

Twice though with my Army GeoCoin I have gotten messages say my child pick this up and did not realize what it was. Both time the GeoCoin was placed into another cache without being properly logged. Made for some work for me to straighten out the logs, but I wasglad for the email and for the GeoCoins return.

I haved moved many TB and GeoCoins all over the northeast and south central US and have had great fun doig it.

The one other problem I have had is with TB that have no information attached to them. Then when I get to a location where I can get internet access and log them only to find out I have carried them many, if not hundreds of, miles in the wronge direction. One in VA I picked up near DC on my way home from VA to OH. When I got home I found out it was trying to get to the White House, Oooops. It had started in Iowa and it was more than halfway back home.

One last frustration is when I notice that cachers have been visiting a cache but continue to leave a travel bug there. Even if they don't want to take it with them a discovery note would be nice so that I at least know that it is in fact still there.

Pete
aka PLMerry

darterkitfox
07-30-2007, 08:21 PM
My wife and I just drove all the way up to Canada this weekend to leave off a TB that is in a race to meet 4 separate goals against 3 other TB's. I wouldn't expect a thanks if I moved it to a next door cache or even the wrong direction, but to take it 120 miles and into another country, I would hope the person tracking it could acknowledge me.

pjpreb
07-30-2007, 08:33 PM
My wife and I just drove all the way up to Canada this weekend to leave off a TB that is in a race to meet 4 separate goals against 3 other TB's. I wouldn't expect a thanks if I moved it to a next door cache or even the wrong direction, but to take it 120 miles and into another country, I would hope the person tracking it could acknowledge me.

Wow! I know I would drop an email and express thanks. I never got the chance as all of our TB's (3 of them) are MIA :(

We have a few coins out now and we're not holding high hopes for them either. A risk you take if you participate in the whole TB thing I guess.

firefighterjake
07-31-2007, 08:25 AM

This is dedication . . . incidentally welcome to geocachingmaine.org darterkitfox.

firefighterjake
07-31-2007, 08:29 AM
And another thing (lots of rants these days . . . it has to be the heat! . . . just imagine if Hiram was around and posting . . . which reminds me has anyone heard from him . . . seriously, is he OK?) . . . what about folks that drop off TBs indiscriminately without looking at a TB's goals.

I mean I can understand if you pick up a TB and drop off a TB on the same day and didn't realize that it had a specific goal . . . what I'm talking about is picking up a TB with an attached goal printed out and then not adhering to that goal. I can understand if a TB wants to visit sanddunes for example and you're not going to any sanddunes so you put it in a cache with the hope of just moving it along . . . but what about taking a TB that wants to go south and moving it north?

teamdozer12
07-31-2007, 12:21 PM
And another thing (lots of rants these days . . . it has to be the heat! . . . just imagine if Hiram was around and posting . . . which reminds me has anyone heard from him . . . seriously, is he OK?) . . . what about folks that drop off TBs indiscriminately without looking at a TB's goals.

I mean I can understand if you pick up a TB and drop off a TB on the same day and didn't realize that it had a specific goal . . . what I'm talking about is picking up a TB with an attached goal printed out and then not adhering to that goal. I can understand if a TB wants to visit sanddunes for example and you're not going to any sanddunes so you put it in a cache with the hope of just moving it along . . . but what about taking a TB that wants to go south and moving it north?

LOL! That happened to my sons TB recently!! He has a racing TB that wants to make it to Daytona FL and then stay in the US following Nascar. It had made it to Mass. (finally) and now some how, some one picked it up in Mass and it is now in Nova Scotia Canada!!!! :D All well, what can you do???!!! North, East, South, West....maybe some people just don't own a compass!

WhereRWe?
07-31-2007, 06:30 PM
what about folks that drop off TBs indiscriminately without looking at a TB's goals.

The trouble is, so many TB's have goals but don't have a note attached saying what the goal is. We won't take a TB if we can see that taking it will defeat it's goal, but it's awkward when you don't find out about the goal until you log it a couple of days later.

In that case, we try and drop it as soon as possible, which I think is the best thing to do.

:D :D

hollora
07-31-2007, 06:45 PM
The trouble is, so many TB's have goals but don't have a note attached saying what the goal is. We won't take a TB if we can see that taking it will defeat it's goal, but it's awkward when you don't find out about the goal until you log it a couple of days later.

In that case, we try and drop it as soon as possible, which I think is the best thing to do.

Agreed hard with no goals attached. Also, like with the TBs I took to GW5 - I emailed all the owners. They emailed me back - that was nice. I attached the goals as per what the owners email me but some of them never changed the information on their TB pages.......so, my directions seemed not so good. Oh well, I tried!

firefighterjake
08-01-2007, 06:48 AM

I realize this . . . I'm talking about a TB that has an attached note clearly stating it's goal . . . I have picked up TBs before and then discovered on-line that I am not able to help them with their goal or even worse I have brought the TB in the wrong direction . . . however when a TB has a note attached to it clearly stating it wants to go to a particular cache in Alaska and someone brings it from Alaska to New Hampshire I would guess they didn't take the time to read the attached note.

mipster
08-01-2007, 09:36 AM
This is my first time on this sight. I am interested in TB's. I just picked up my first two a few days ago. I also activated my own which will have a travel goal. I have three new caches that I will place this week in the Calais area plus a micro. Each cache will have a TB in it. However, I am nervous that someone will muggle the caches or steel the TB. Someone recently moved the Nash's Lake cache. Maybe it was a mean joke but it wasn't funny. The owner did put it back where it is suppost to be. Hopefully this will not happen to my caches. But I am nervous that someone could spoil the fun with stupid jokes like that. How often should I check on them? I will keep track of my TB often. I'm hoping pictures will be sent. Should be fun to see how it gets to my destinations!
Mipster

firefighterjake
08-01-2007, 09:58 AM
This is my first time on this sight. I am interested in TB's. I just picked up my first two a few days ago. I also activated my own which will have a travel goal. I have three new caches that I will place this week in the Calais area plus a micro. Each cache will have a TB in it. However, I am nervous that someone will muggle the caches or steel the TB. Someone recently moved the Nash's Lake cache. Maybe it was a mean joke but it wasn't funny. The owner did put it back where it is suppost to be. Hopefully this will not happen to my caches. But I am nervous that someone could spoil the fun with stupid jokes like that. How often should I check on them? I will keep track of my TB often. I'm hoping pictures will be sent. Should be fun to see how it gets to my destinations!
Mipster

First off, welcome to geocachingmaine.org mipster.

Second off, why oh why didn't you place these caches last week when I was in the area . . . and yes I'm kidding . . . you see now I'll have another excuse to go back to Calais. :D

Third . . . the best advice I can give you is to make sure the cache you place is well-hidden and/or off the beaten path so to speak. In other words if you place a cache just a few feet away from a park frequented by muggles and it's "hidden" under a teepee made up of "geosticks" there is in fact a good chance it could get muggled. That's not to say you can't hide a cache in that park . . . you just have to be smart about it by hiding it very well and/or picking a place that muggles may not frequent . . . for example if you're hiding a cache in a park with lots of muggles you might want to not place the cache right next to the beach or playground equipment where muggles tend to congregate.

Finally, part of the game is that sometimes caches and TBs will go missing . . . I've been lucky . . . only had one cache go MIA . . . since replacing that cache there have been no issues. Then again, I always think it could have been worse -- one geocacher had their cache blown up by the State Police Bomb Squad!

As for your question of checking the cache . . . it all depends on the cacher. In general I try to check on my new caches a few days after the first round of cachers have made the find . . . just to be sure they've placed the cache back in the right spot. I also try to check each cache in the Spring after the Winter melt-off. I also check my caches whenever I get a few DNFs to be sure that the cache is still there . . . and on one or two of my caches I must confess that I frequently check them to make sure that they are hidden in the same manner as I hid them so that other geocachers will have the same difficulty in locating these "evil" caches and the same thrill when they finally find them.

Again, welcome.

kayaking loon
08-10-2007, 09:19 AM
My very first TB, Mikey Moose, has had good luck in getting to Alaska. :) Parmachenee picked him up last year and took him to Ontario (good luck). Then someone picked him up and took him to NS and kept him for months (bad luck). But then she sent him to a TB party in Ontario again and from there he moved around until July when a cacher came from Seattle, picked him up and took him home. From there he moved quickly with what seemed to be a very dedicated group of cachers and flew to Juneau a couple of days ago. His final destination is Fairbanks and he's in a cache near the Juneau airport so who knows what will happen next. Probably someone will fly him south. But I consider just getting to Alaska a triumph and only wish I were with him.

hollora
08-10-2007, 08:51 PM
But I consider just getting to Alaska a triumph and only wish I were with him.

Like oh yeah, anywhere in Alaska is good and to be there - heaven on Earth!.:D Hope this moves as you wish it would.

Thanks for the caches in your area too - we will get there eventually!:)

Yeehawma
08-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I too have suffered TB anxiety. I am becoming more patient and understanding when it comes to TB movement and non- movement. I find that my TBs tend to have spurts of movement, then seem to be holed up somewhere- either an out of the way cache or with an inactive cacher. Usually patience and a friendly email help get things going. I try to gain some insight on the area of the cache and/ or the cacher. Reading the past logs and profile help. I've found that TBs that end up in the north during the late fall, tend to hibernate for the winter. I wouldn't be out there in the snow myself, so I understand those who may be waiting for spring. I agree that a note would be nice.
I have also been one of those cachers who took a TB, with the intent of placing it in a cache the next weekend, only to have a sudden crisis that prevented me from caching for several weeks. I had forgotten about the TB in the chaos. Of course I emailed the owner immediately with an apology.
I have only lost one TB, "Dicey", which was placed in a cache that was destroyed by Mother Nature. I emailed the cacher who found the remains of the cache, asking if there were any signs of my TB. I was grateful for a response, even if it was not positive.
"Life happens", as we all know. I learned that whether you're the owner or the cacher who picks up the bug - communication, common courtesy and a bit of patience will ease the anxiety. After all, isn't geocaching supposed to be a stressfree activity?

firefighterjake
08-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Like oh yeah, anywhere in Alaska is good and to be there - heaven on Earth!.:D Hope this moves as you wish it would.

Well I was going to save this comment for the other thread . . . but since this is a new one and this ties in nicely. . . .

Let it be known that kayakingloon has put out some nice caches in the Eustis area . . . it truly is worth the drive. I took off today since the day was so nice and I've got work scheduled around the house this weekend so this was the only day this weekend I could get out and do some caching . . . and so I decided to take kayakingloon up on his "offer" to come up to do some of his caches -- what a beautiful part of the state and there were some great caches as well. It should also be noted that KL has also graciously adopted several other caches in the area instead of letting them be archived.

I will admit there were some setbacks . . . namely an accident this morning which delayed my start and then my realization that I had accidentally killed the battery in my Palm, but that just let me do a little more work on the bedroom before heading out.

In any case, thank you KL . . . there were some great caches . . . I only wish I could have made this an overnight trip and done some more caches north and south of there.

kayaking loon
08-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey, Jake. Thanks for the kind words about the area and my caches. But maybe I should point out that kayakingloon is a "her" not a "him". Darn those gender neutral names anyway! :p

firefighterjake
08-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Hey, Jake. Thanks for the kind words about the area and my caches. But maybe I should point out that kayakingloon is a "her" not a "him". Darn those gender neutral names anyway! :p

oops . . . my mistake

WhereRWe?
09-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I've ranted before about our Maine Chickadee Plate TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=56870) being stranded on an island off the coast of Sweden for the last 11 months.

(That's another rant! I don't think people should place TB's in out-of-the way caches. Unless it's their own TB. Most TB owners want their bugs to MOVE! LOL!)

Well, the TB has been picked up and is on the move. For what it's worth, here's the log entry:

"Denna TB har ju legat här länge, så nu får den röra på sig."

Why do I think that the entry says "This TB has been here too long! LOL!

I was getting worried about this TB again - it's been 6 weeks since it was picked up - but the TB has just been logged into a cache in China (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=56870)! This is the 2d TB we had that has made it to China! (And since this is a "meet/greet/tb exchange" event, it should be on the move again soon!)

Team Ducky
09-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Hmmm....I'll chime in. There is a travel bug called Parrot Pal, it was a tribute to his bird that passed. I emailed the owner that I have his bug and that I will take it on a tour of the area with photos. We recently lost our bird at that time, we created a bug for her. The goal was to return to Calif. and tour the state, since we didn't know which part of the state. Turns out that it sat in a cache for a while but then came along a cacher who grabed it and with one trip she was in Calif. The person who I contacted about Parrot Pal, sought out this bug Minoko when it hit the LA area. He took about 20-30 photos with her a Disney World, Hollywood, etc.

I have a cache where a bug was just dropped that wants to go to Maine, so I'm going to grab it and drop it off.

WhereRWe?
09-13-2007, 09:07 AM

LOL! I did several caches in the Eustis area yesterday. Found a couple of interesting locations. On one road, I thought I must be on the "back road to Quebec"! I thought that at any second I'd be attacked by wolves, or bears, or Indians or something. A very interesting road meandering through the DEEP woods. LOL!

kayaking loon
09-14-2007, 06:33 AM
LOL! I did several caches in the Eustis area yesterday. Found a couple of interesting locations. On one road, I thought I must be on the "back road to Quebec"! I thought that at any second I'd be attacked by wolves, or bears, or Indians or something. A very interesting road meandering through the DEEP woods. LOL!

That must have been Katadin Goddess' Milwaukee Brewers micro, at one of my favorite places. Not necessarily on one of my favorite roads though:p . Last spring I did find bear tracks on the way out and also bobcat tracks. No wolves though. Lots of coyotes. The bear hangs around our neighborhood some and the bobcat appeared once. I've got some caches planned for some really back roads.... stay tuned. Are you coming to next years Eustis event, late September???

firefighterjake
09-14-2007, 08:07 AM
[quote=kayaking loon;35291]That must have been Katadin Goddess' Milwaukee Brewers micro, at one of my favorite places. . . .quote]

From the description that's what I figured as well . . . I definitely liked the drive out and the view . . . while it was a quick cache to find it was not like many of the themed caches that all seem to be hidden in guardrails.

WhereRWe?
09-14-2007, 01:15 PM
That must have been Katadin Goddess' Milwaukee Brewers micro, at one of my favorite places. Not necessarily on one of my favorite roads though:p . Last spring I did find bear tracks on the way out and also bobcat tracks. No wolves though. Lots of coyotes. The bear hangs around our neighborhood some and the bobcat appeared once. I've got some caches planned for some really back roads.... stay tuned. Are you coming to next years Eustis event, late September???

Yup - that was the cache. I wondered what the road was originally for. Definitely not just a tote road. Thought perhaps it might have been a small-gauge railroad bed.

And yes, I usually attend Maine geocaching events! LOL!

kayaking loon
09-23-2007, 11:39 AM
My Moose TB that wanted to go to Alaska, did. Or at least it got to Juneau. Then it went to Whitehorse in the Yukon and was supposed to go from there to Fairbanks. Today I learned it's in the Netherlands! However, it wanted to travel so that's OK. I just wonder what geocachers there will think when they open a cache and pull out a rather large (8") moose, dressed in a fur trimmed parka and snowshoes with the word Alaska on its shirt.:eek:

And on another note, I have a cystic fibrosis coin I picked up last week, a rather beautiful coin. Any geocacher have CF, or a friend or relative who does and would like to see this coin?? If not, I'll just drop it anywhere.

WhereRWe?
09-23-2007, 02:14 PM
My Moose TB that wanted to go to Alaska, did. Or at least it got to Juneau. Then it went to Whitehorse in the Yukon and was supposed to go from there to Fairbanks. Today I learned it's in the Netherlands! However, it wanted to travel so that's OK.

I went to an event yesterday and there were a couple of cachers from Germany there - collecting TB's to take back with them! We released Maine Chickadee Plate TB #3, and hopefully it will be as lucky as some of our other TB's that have gone to Europe. (They do seem to better over there... :confused: :confused: )

hollora
09-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I went to an event yesterday and there were a couple of cachers from Germany there - collecting TB's to take back with them! We released Maine Chickadee Plate TB #3, and hopefully it will be as lucky as some of our other TB's that have gone to Europe. (They do seem to better over there... :confused: :confused: )

Bruce - hope someone put a blessing on it for you. Did the coin ever appear. There weren't as many folks at Brad's event as last year (I don't think) so the options are limited. I took down the number but knew I would get Brad's hand me downs!;) So I didn't pick any up.

WhereRWe?
09-25-2007, 09:11 AM
Bruce - hope someone put a blessing on it for you. Did the coin ever appear. There weren't as many folks at Brad's event as last year (I don't think) so the options are limited. I took down the number but knew I would get Brad's hand me downs!;) So I didn't pick any up.

No our Civil War coin is still among the missing. But I note that there are only 2 coins remaining on the Last Cache Bashe site. I guess there's still hope.

:) :)

hollora
09-26-2007, 02:26 PM
I noticed someone took one of your coins out of a cache I had been watching. They posted the coin had number.......I did email them to contact you if they couldn't find the number.

WhereRWe?
09-30-2007, 05:47 PM
On Sep 17, I attended an event at which there were a couple of German cachers who volunteered to take TB's to Europe. I offered our Maine Chickadee Plate #3, to one of the the German cachers, TravelingViking. Today, after his return to Germany, he logged it out of the event and remarked that he had one of the Maine Chickadee plates before. So I checked. Sure enough, in Nov 2003 he had picked up our Maine Chickadee Plate #1 (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1370112) from the Fort Williams cache, included it in a great photographic collage at the airport, and later dropped it in Germany. That TB is now in China, and the current holder knows TravelingViking! :eek: :eek:

Small world, or what??

Team U.S.Eh?
09-30-2007, 07:45 PM
We are rather new at this and have been surprised at how many caches have TB's listed but when we get there they are gone and no log entry to show that anyone took them. We have come across at least 4 like this in the last 2 days. We just hid our first cache with A Cache A Day geocoin in it.......we're keeping our fingers crossed that it will make it some ditance before disappearing, which, after reading these posts, we blieve is its ultimate fate.:(:confused:

Hiram357
09-30-2007, 07:58 PM
We are rather new at this and have been surprised at how many caches have TB's listed but when we get there they are gone and no log entry to show that anyone took them. We have come across at least 4 like this in the last 2 days. We just hid our first cache with A Cache A Day geocoin in it.......we're keeping our fingers crossed that it will make it some ditance before disappearing, which, after reading these posts, we blieve is its ultimate fate.:(:confused:

Don't lose hope, some TBs mysteriously comeback after being MIA for sometime, others have gone on for a very very long time, like "Cameoooo's lost wallet" was the first TB/coin I found (about 2 years ago) and I just crossed paths with that same TB at a cache event a few weeks ago! Yes there are quite a few sad and disheartening stories (like most of my tb's...) but there are just as many great stories too. :D

Team U.S.Eh?
10-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Well, it is noce to hear that there are some success stories our there. I hope that our coin see many caches...we have a TB ready to go to but maybe we'll hold off for a minute to see how the A Cache A Day coin does first. Having a good time with this sport so far and have met turned quite a few people onto it as well.
Thanks for the encouraging words...we'll stay positive! :D

WhereRWe?
10-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Sheesh! I think travel bugs are 75% of the fun of geocaching! LOL!

Our Maine Chickadee Plate TB that was in China has returned to Germany (we now have 2 plates in Germany...), but not before the carrier posted a photo of the TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=56870) with a group of waitresses from Hooters in Shanghai!

Gotta love geocaching! LOL!

d’76
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Thats one of the best tb pic I have seen yet. :D

What perverted geocacher would go to hooters:D

This is the makings of a great poll.:D

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Sheesh! I think travel bugs are 75% of the fun of geocaching! LOL!

Our Maine Chickadee Plate TB that was in China has returned to Germany (we now have 2 plates in Germany...), but not before the carrier posted a photo of the TB (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=56870) with a group of waitresses from Hooters in Shanghai!

Gotta love geocaching! LOL!

That's downright disgusting and totally inapropriate!!! I for one am exrtremely outraged about this. It actually has me so upset that I just might have to write a personal letter to this cacher about his behavior with his digital camera. I mean c'mon now, seriously, digital cameras now adays can hold hundreds of pictures (even the cheap ones can hold quite a few) and this guy only takes one picture at the Shanghai hooters!?!?!?!?!!? What's up with that!?!?! The nerve of some people...

d’76
10-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Hirams right for a change. I for one, representing the clean nature of geocaching would never enter a place like that.;)

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Hirams right for a change. I for one, representing the clean nature of geocaching would never enter a place like that.;)

lol... I had no problems with the entering... it was his lack of evidence. :D ;)

and what clean nature of geocaching? are you referring to the CITO of those waitresses? Cache In & Take Out?? :p

WhereRWe?
10-03-2007, 05:22 PM
(Sheesh! I shudder to think where this thread is heading, but I'll jump in with both feet...)

Well, you know what they say about Chinese. An hour later and you're ready for more... :eek: :eek:

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 05:27 PM
(Sheesh! I shudder to think where this thread is heading, but I'll jump in with both feet...)

Well, you know what they say about Chinese. An hour later and you're ready for more... :eek: :eek:

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean...

That's wrong...

hahaha...

Well, at least you can't get yelled at for hijacking your own thread.

d’76
10-03-2007, 05:41 PM

Bruce Bruce Bruce....

HEHE funny you said it and we (Hiram and I) where thinking it:D

WhereRWe?
10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Well, at least you can't get yelled at for hijacking your own thread.

And we haven't once mentioned BEER! ;) ;)

firefighterjake
10-04-2007, 08:15 AM
And we haven't once mentioned BEER! ;) ;)

Well here . . . I'll make a contribution to this thread.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tsingtaobeer.co.uk/index_files/site%2520intro2.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.tsingtaobeer.co.uk/&h=500&w=650&sz=76&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=wTZE8OpVJ7lLKM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522Chinese%252Bbeer%2522%26gbv%3D2% 26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff

And here we have a geocacher with his Chinese beer.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r96/jfallows/710-4491-4.jpg

Beach Comber
10-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Tsingtao........mmmmmmmm........yummy chinese beer

WhereRWe?
10-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Actually, the best beer advertisements (after the Bud ads on the Super Bowl...) are for Stella Artois (http://www.stellaartois.com/). Really excellent advertising! :D :D

(If you go to this site, there will be one advertisement which branches into spinoffs. I'd suggest watching the main ad through, then watching the spinoffs separately. Each episode contains a challenge - a game, if you will. Very interesting.)

Haffy
10-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I just happened to get a notice on a Jeep TB that I had in my cache Across America in Augusta is now down here in Columbia SC an hours drive south of me. That's pretty cool I must say.

Hiram357
10-08-2007, 07:49 PM
I just happened to get a notice on a Jeep TB that I had in my cache Across America in Augusta is now down here in Columbia SC an hours drive south of me. That's pretty cool I must say.

well... did you go down and pick it up???

Haffy
10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
What for I've already had it....

Hiram357
10-08-2007, 09:09 PM
What for I've already had it....

i dunno, maybe one of those sentimental visits, remember the times when you lived in the good part of the states... :rolleyes: :D

BudandMarsha
10-09-2007, 02:31 PM
We were interested to read this thread; as "newbies" we have now grabbed 3 different TB's. We enjoy doing this and move them as quickly as possible. The most recent one we grabbed on Friday. We do not plan to place it until we get on the road heading South as this one wants to go to every state and we will be on the road next week. Is there a general rule of thumb for placing these? We try not to keep them more than a week. Is that too long??? Thanks for the info.

Haffy
10-09-2007, 04:25 PM
A week is certainly not long to hold on to a TB. I myself am guilty of holding on to a red Jeep TB for almost a month now but it has been hard to find a cache large enough to hold it lately as there have been a bunch of micros put out. I'll just have to get out there a ways to find a larger cache. I think you'll find that if you can get it on it's way within a month then thats a good thing. The winter time in Maine is noted for holding on to a lot of TB's during the cold winter months but they usually move along faster when the warmer months come along.

WhereRWe?
10-09-2007, 04:34 PM
The winter time in Maine is noted for holding on to a lot of TB's during the cold winter months but they usually move along faster when the warmer months come along.

I agree, and that's one reason why, around this time of year, we try and "rescue" TB's in the local area that have been sitting for a while. Many caches in this area don't get visited all that often, and if a TB has been sitting for a month or so at this time of year, it might be there over the winter.

So we try and give as many TB's as possible "one last jump" before they get snowed in...

:D :D :D

hollora
10-09-2007, 07:11 PM
So we try and give as many TB's as possible "one last jump" before they get snowed in...:D :D :D

And thanks for those efforts - up in your country - snow can be deep. There is nothing worse than a snowed/frozen in cache. And that is like a morgue for a TB once they become entombed.:eek:

firefighterjake
10-11-2007, 07:54 AM
. . . And that is like a morgue for a TB once they become entombed.:eek:

Nah, not a morgue . . . more like cryogenic freezing . . . we're just putting 'em on ice for a bit until it gets warmer and we can revive 'em . . . make them stronger, faster, gentlemen we can rebuild them . . . just like Walt Disney. :rolleyes: ;) :D

fsquire
12-28-2007, 11:42 AM
I can understand a cache being "Muggled" or even "Blown up by the Bomb Squad" but...I have just spent the last 1/2 hour reading past posts on this subject...I did not realize there may be an epidemic starting...Are we all getting senile that we pick up TB's and such...then forget we have them? A quick look at your Profile lists all TB's logged in your possession. I am not trying to be mean but if the shoe fits...
I have/had a TB," Gordon the BOXCAR-HOBO" TB1CY12 that was last seen in the hands of one of Geocaching Maine's members..."Cachesclays". Here is his log as to his find...Notice the date of pickup.http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/picked_up.gif 9/30/2007 cachesclays (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=7057e739-7722-4cf9-ab2c-a1972e8153a0) retrieved it from Brady Bunch #8 - Cindy (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1943c99f-f63b-4c67-b943-4f7854f90511) Maine [visit log (http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=3920fb78-6554-4ea6-a514-14031f94f60d)]
Found this with Cindy and will be moving it along in a bit I hope to help Gordon out a bit. Cachesclays.
> I don't know if there is anything anyone can do to help retrieve it.
> I have e-mailed him several times and received no responses. He used to sign on with AIM as "anmato" , but after I questioned him via Instant Message, he no longer signs on.
> We don't know what goes on in another's personal life...but if another member knows him personally...maybe something "new" can come to light and maybe a solution can be found.
> Please feel free to e-mail me with any news or constructive comments you may have.
> Seeking other possible solutions...,
> fsquire the Boxcar-Hobo

Haffy
12-28-2007, 12:27 PM
He might be a member of GM but like many members we have here they will join and then that is the last we see or hear from him or her. That's the price one pays for owning a TB or coin. It's just a matter of time before it gets lost or muggled. Myself I don't know this particular person but I see from his profile he does frequent GC.com as his last visit was just recently. As you can see from the members list,he joined here on the 6th and his last visitwas on the 8th. There are many members who join to check us out and that is the last time we hear from them. Don't give up hope though as I have heard of many TB's suddenly appearing after being out of commission for many months. Sorry can't be of more help but maybe someone in here does know him.

And who are you referring to when you say this " A quick look at your Profile lists all TB's logged in your possession" ?

Foxgloves
12-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Are we all getting senile that we pick up TB's and such...then forget we have them? I don't know if there is anything anyone can do to help retrieve it.

I have e-mailed him several times and received no responses.

Unfortunately this all too common and TB's go missing all the time for whatever reason. We all get attached to TB's and geocoins and it is aggravating when they go MIA. I think the best thing you can do is email the last person who supposedly had their hands on it and start from there. I too have emailed geocachers in the past to find out if my TB is still in their possession and more often than not they do not respond back. I take that to mean that they have lost it. (Especially if they are still actively geocaching)
As hard as you may have to bite your lip :rolleyes: try and be gentle...Ask them politely if they could move your TB along or if they have gotten out of geocaching altogether, ask them if they might be able to mail it to you so that you can keep it circulating. At the end of your email just say something like...."If you no longer have my TB and you have no idea where it is please just tell me so. I would rather know that than keep wondering why you don't respond.

Believe you me...I have been through this scenario more than once..and the pain does subside....:(

WhereRWe?
12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Don't give up hope though as I have heard of many TB's suddenly appearing after being out of commission for many months.

Yup - gotta agree here. In fact, several of my missing TB's have shown up in caches recently - far from where they were last logged.

Who knows?

hollora
12-28-2007, 03:49 PM
:rolleyes: try and be gentle...Ask them politely if they could move your TB along or if they have gotten out of geocaching altogether, ask them if they might be able to mail it to you so that you can keep it circulating. At the end of your email just say something like...."If you no longer have my TB and you have no idea where it is please just tell me so. I would rather know that than keep wondering why you don't respond.

Nicely said!:)

Team Ducky
01-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes, nicely said.

In 2006 I picked up some bugs, and I saw they were in my inventory but I had no idea where they were. I thought they fell out of my pack or something. I emailed the owners that the bugs are missing and I'll continue to look for them. Some owners replied back and said not to worry they might show up if they fell out near a cache. Then after the long winter I put on my lighter jacket and there are those bugs I lost. So, don't give up hope...they may show up sooner or later.

However state or regional caching boards like here are great for TB rescues from caches. I had one bug sitting in a cache for 5 months(the last visitor dropped it off and no one has visited since). I emailed the owner of the cache and no reply. Then, I asked a board out in SoCal if someone could visit the cache and retieve the TB. Sure enough within a week someone resuced the bug and it is now moving again.

fsquire
03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
OK, well to add to this rant.....:D A fellow cacher has had my daughter's TB since April!!!! She has been very dissappointed as she loved watching it travel around! I waited about six weeks to email the cacher, (I thought that was more than reasonable) HE NEVER RESPONDED! I waited another month...same thing...and another month same thing! Each time I have been nice asking him to please move this bug on, because it is my 8 year old daughters.....NOTHING! I hate when cachers who don't go out caching often take these TB's and don't place them in a resonable amount of time. If you would of asked me how I felt about it a couple of months ago, I was patient to say the least! NOW, 4 months later, I AM JUST PEEVED!

Bottom line don't take a trackable if you cannot move it on! I don't take them anymore, just because of the reponsibility and I feel guilty if I have one for more than a week. The only time I take one now, is if I can help it along with it's goal. Like last month I grabbed a TB in a cache and it wanted to visit each state. NH was not checked off, so I took it and moved it to NH on our camping trip!

As far as emails of thanks, I can honestly say that I have gotten quite a few of thanks. Maybe I have just been lucky so far and I have had the luck of having TB's with owners that have ethics and morals. LOL! I myself try to email some one when a TB of mine moves on. However, I only own 2 in circulation. One that has been stuck in a cache for a while and the other that has been stuck in some cacher's backpack since April being held hostage! So I haven't had much luck with our bugs moving on that often.

Anyhow, there is my rant!!
If I knew who the fellow cacher was I might approach him/her and see what was happening or offer to move it for him/her...

I think maybe a seperate post or a quick find link on the homepage of the names of people who have held onto TB's and Geocoins for over a month is in order...

Some may see there name on the list and correct the problem and get their name off the list or it may enable other Cachers who may be familiar with the cacher, a chance to get them moving again...

Just a Thought...

Mapachi
03-04-2008, 11:16 PM
yea, send them to the principal's office!

hollora
03-08-2008, 07:54 PM
When you pick up a TB sometimes it doesn't have a tag or information so you know where it is going. That makes it hard because you have to get home to log it before you realize you maybe wouldn't have taken it.

Then, in the case there is a tag attached - sometimes the goal has been reached up the tag never updated. Again, not the fault of the person picking up the TB.

When a TB reaches it goal - if it has a tag, it would be nice if the cacher who has it at the time would update the tag. Cache Maine and I actually found a TB and the original tag had a big box on the corner to punch when it reached its goal - and - instructions for step 2.

Putting TBs in baggies is another nice jesture. It is nice if you can take the time to make note of all the TBs in a cache. Once our bugs come out - I will be scrambling to get the log done - let alone inventory the TBs if there are a lot in the cache.

What baffles me is the TBs and coins which seem to vaporize out of caches. They are dropped but just disappear. No one line log (cache page or TB page) and nothing in the cache log either. So where did they go? Even more amazing when some TBs and/or coins remain there during the same time period.

Oh well, the risk we take when we set them free.

Team Richards
03-08-2008, 08:08 PM
It is hard to know what happens.
I discovered a coin once. it was in a cache I had been to before and I didn't have anything to trade so I just discovered it. A few weeks later an other cacher visited and didn't mention anything about the coin. A month later two catchers visited and both noted the coin was gone. The owner emailed me and asked if I had logged it incorrectly and went on to ask that I check my car, cache bag etc.

I replied and explained that I was positive that I had left the coin. His reply implied that he still felt I had it.
A few months later the coin showed up with the people who had visited the cache after me. It seemed the youngest of the group took a liking to the coin and put it in his pocket. His Mom found it in his room and then they log it.

The coin owner emailed me and apologized, I had no hard feeling because I know too well how they felt. As it has been said it is the risk you take and things happen that are out of your control.

I guess in my opinion if a coin or TB goes Missing you should then release a clone so at least the logs continue and the story can be shared.

WhereRWe?
03-08-2008, 08:18 PM
What baffles me is the TBs and coins which seem to vaporize out of caches. They are dropped but just disappear. No one line log (cache page or TB page) and nothing in the cache log either. So where did they go? Even more amazing when some TBs and/or coins remain there during the same time period.

Sheesh! Are you naive or what? LOL!

You have 2 choices: #1 - either the person didn't put the coin/TB in the cache to begin with, or #2, someone who came along afterwards took the coin/TB and didn't log their visit or didn't log the fact that they took the coin/TB.

;);)

WhereRWe?
03-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Maybe senior members could take the time to school us newbies proper on the do's and shouldn't do's and watch over us a little at the events. If my brother wasn't with me at the WWWWWW4, I would have sat there like a dummy, not knowing what to do.

For what it's worth...

I welcomed EVERYONE to the WWWWWW4 event, especially people I didn't recognize. I explained the event, and encouraged everyone to mingle and get to know other cachers. Not sure what else "senior members" can do if newcomers don't speak up and ask questions. :confused::confused:

Remember - those "senior members" may not be any more outgoing than you are. If you choose to sit at a table by yourself, other people may conclude that's what you want. Don't be afraid to walk up to another cacher asn ask the obvious questions: What GPSr do you have? How many caches have you found? Are there any caches near xxxxxxxx? :D:D

Cache Maine
03-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Just ask, I've got MANY suggestions!!!!!

OPALSNS

Woo hoo! I can't wait to meet you! ;)

WhereRWe?
03-09-2008, 03:13 PM
When I came in I introduced Myself and said, that you emailed us.
You said" I email everone!!"

Sorry. Not sure what I should have said, but perhaps I should have made it clear that I didn't recall your name specifically, since I do welcome ALL newcomers to geocachingmaine.org - sometimes 3-4 per day. My comment was not intended to be deprecating.

Then you told us to drop the TBs to be recorded and told us to try to find someplace to sit.
THAT was the ONLY things you said to us.

Again, I apologize if you expected something else. I tried to say "Hi" to everyone, I told MANY attendees that there was no specific agenda, and that it was a "meet, greet and eat" event. I did not have a printed script to read from, so what I said may have differed slightly from person to person.

People came up to us and said hello and Called us over to introduce themselves. There was an Older, VERY sweet couple that went around table to table to say hello and Welcome. We did go around, Introduce ourselves as newbies and were WELCOMED by them.
Perhaps you could Make a note of the newbies that show up and when you stand up to do your raffle, you could WELCOME the NEWBIES,say who they are, Have them stand up and say Hi.

This is a good idea - don't think it has ever been done at an event - but if you recall, when I made my remarks I did mention "a lot of new faces". It was a crowded venue, and I had to fight at times to be heard.

If you need any more help on "WHAT MORE CAN WE DO???"
Just ask, I've got MANY suggestions!!!!!

No thanks. If you sponsor your own event, you can do it the way you think is best. This is the 4th time we've sponsored the WWWWWW event, and other than the fact that the venue is VERY small, the majority seem to have had a good time and have asked to keep the venue. In fact, I just reviewed the logs and didn't see a negative comment. Again, I apologize if you felt slighted in any way. I'm know as somewhat of a curmudgeon, and sometimes I may be interpreted incorrectly by people who don't know me. Perhaps next year I'll let RULOST2? do the welcoming! LOL!

Cache Maine
03-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Sorry. Not sure what I should have said, but perhaps I should have made it clear that I didn't recall your name specifically, since I do welcome ALL newcomers to geocachingmaine.com - sometimes 3-4 per day. My comment was not intended to be deprecating.

Actually, the correct web address is www.geocachingmaine.org (http://www.geocachingmaine.org).

WhereRWe?
03-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Actually, the correct web address is www.geocachingmaine.org (http://www.geocachingmaine.org).

Actually, I'm quite aware of that. A simple typo, which has been corrected. :p:p

Haffy
03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE I don't know what a CRUDGEMUDON is, but with all due respect, I'm sure your the BEST!!!:cool:

Peace and Love,
opalsns[/QUOTE]

Take it from me opalsns, he is the best curmudgeon (correct spelling) around......!!!!!:D:rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
03-10-2008, 07:41 AM
AND ...
I Accept Your Appologies,
Thank You so very much!!!!
Peace and Love,
Opalsns

And I accept your critique. While I've attended 30 events and you've attended one, a new perspective is always welcome. :D:D

WhereRWe?
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Wow 30 events and you still need critiquing :eek:

And I've only attended ONE and I've got I've that situation figured out!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool ::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:: cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::co ol::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

No, I certainly don't NEED criticism. But criticizing is someone anyone can do whether the criticism is based on ignorance or not. Some people will ALWAYS complain. Sheesh, you won't have to attend the WWWWWW event next year because I expect it will be the same!

(And I'll bet that after finding 7 geocaches, you know all about geocaching, too! LOL!) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sudonim
03-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Maybe we could get back on the thread topic instead of cutting people down in public. It makes you look bad, not the other person.

Kaching Karen
03-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey, join us for a chat one night, Opalsns. You'll find that we are quite a helpful bunch. I messed up my first hidden cache and a bunch of strangers helped me straighten it out (correct coordinates help). I now regard them as close friends.

Sudonim
03-10-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm not going to get sucked into an argument on this thread. I did read how this started, WhereRWe responded to your comment (or complaint) about how you went to your first caching event and didn't know what to do. I have run an event and know that it can be quite hectic. You can't rely on the event coordinator to run you through the experience.
Caching is usually a solitary (or with a family member) activity. The only time we usually see fellow cachers is at the events, and try to be social to everyone, but it is a two way street. If nobody comes up to you, make the first step, you will be surprised with the diversity of interesting people you meet. And if you don't know what to do, ask, you will get a variety of answers, most of them helpful :)

Sudonim
03-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Opalsns, if you want in on chat, Mondays at 8 are a general chat, Wednesday at 8 started out as a more introductory chat, but I think it's pretty general too now.

Site Moderator
03-10-2008, 08:10 PM
This thread has strayed from the original topic. The topic does have merit, however, personal attacks and flaming from anyone will not be tolerated.

Please refer to the Forum Guidelines (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=agreement) for more information.

darterkitfox
03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
There are different people on here that may not get along with someone else and I have my favorites and my not so favorites, but it seems that your rudeness is outpacing WhereRWe?. You might want to tone it down a little. You're pushing the envelope.

Haffy
03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
I think the moderator has already made that point.

darterkitfox
03-11-2008, 10:07 AM
For some reason my post didn't go out at the time I sent it and another whole page of comments were listed. At the time, the moderator hadn't said anything. So, I'm sorry for adding the comment.

EMSDanel
03-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey Opalsns...it's your buddy EMSDanel. Today is the first time I have read this thread and a couple of pages ago I thought "Oh my, I'll need to jump in and referee this thing." But I see it has turned out OK. You'll notice that Bruce stopped responding awhile back....I'm betting that it's because it was getting nasty and each reply begat another. Soooo, you decided you would not "stoop to his level" and apologized...always a good tactic. Cooler heads always prevail. My advice to "newbies" (and I have not been doing this very long myself) is that you are going to meet all kinds of people looking for caches, some you like and some you don't. They all have different personalities and ways they play the game. Some cachers have a very high "find" number and have never taken the time to place a cache (a whole different topic). Others never take from or leave things in caches. You may be surprised to hear that some people just enjoy finding caches and never even log them...they just do it for the enjoyment of being outdoors. But even the ones I'm not all that fond of are out geocaching...so they can't be all that bad. And the bad ones who go to the trouble of hosting geo events, well, they must have some socially redeeming value, and I'm appreciative (thanks, Bruce, and to all other event planners).;) Was he rude to you? Perhaps. Is he a self-professed curmudgeon? Absolutely. But if you were stuck in the mud on some back road seeking a cache, and he happened along looking for the same cache, I'll bet he'd pull you out. Because he's a geocacher and that's what we do. You might even strike up a friendly conversation!:rolleyes: Now...Your comments about introducing newbies at events is a great one, thanks for that! I'll bet you'll see that start to happen at events. Keep caching, keep going to events....the answers to your questions will come and you'll meet some terrific people. I picked up your Speed Racer TB at the WWWWWW4 event and have already placed it at a brand-new cache. I hope you enjoy following its travels and whenever you pick up TB's at caches you find be sure to log them out into your possession and log them down into the cache that you bring them to. Carefully doing that (and lamenting when others don't) is what this thread has been all about. It seems like we all have had differing degrees of luck with this, but I still find it fun. Cache on.....!

Opalsns
03-11-2008, 03:19 PM
EMSDANEL,
Thank You for your comment and words of encouragement and posting them. You truly are a healer in many ways and I appreciate this.
I am new ,only heard about it on Thanksgiving of 2007 and I don't have a vehicle right now so I've only been able to do the caches closer to home and only have 7 finds so far. With summer coming I will be able to get out more. That is why I placed my cache where it is. I like doing caches with TBs in them because I like to watch their travel and have released several TBs as you know. Thanx to you and Tat and Kacky and Holoora ,My Brother and others,they are all In Transit. I'm sure I'll be disappointed if they should come up missing but I won't be the first or last. And I have rescued trapped TBs and Left them in my easy to get cache just to keep them moving. I know how important it is to cachers , like me, who have spent the money to get TBs and Cool hitchhikers and send them on missions. I love finding caches and had found several with my brother before I became a member, But Instead of cheating and just logging them I want to go back after the snow redicover them, SL, and then take credit for them. Again , Thank YOu and I will Cache on ...
Opalsns

Kacky
03-11-2008, 06:27 PM
He not roooood

He curmudgeon

We stwoke him and pet him and wove him to bits

Trust me Opal, if you take these people more seriously than they take themselves, you will miss out on years of friendship and great stories. I know from whence I speak.

Haffy
03-11-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Opalsns, we have never met but I happened to attend an event a couple of hours away from where I live this past weekend. It was put on by the USCGA,Upstate South Carolina Geocachers Association. When we got to the venue,it was a BBQ place and I walked in expecting to have a name tag ready for me so I could place one on me and then look for others there but this was not to be. I'm not generally very open but in this case I had to be because I didn't really know a soul except a few cachers who went from the area that I cache in. Well to make a long story short after we all had our fill of some good southern BBQ ,the host of the event took the floor and introduced himself and gave a short speech. From there he went around the whole room and asked each and everyone who they were and to introduce ourselves to everyone.It was a good way to do it I thought. Of course I had to introduce myself as the Yankee from Maine and that brought on a lot of laughter. Anyway I met some very nice folks and I gave a way a new Maine coin at the event as well. I say new but it is Old now "2007" lol. I can tell you from experience that you will not meet a better bunch of people than geocachers,take my word for it. Or not!!!!

Opalsns
03-12-2008, 07:04 AM
That was a good Idea to have people introduce themselves. All they have to say is their geocaching name and people already know them!!LOL!
Caching people are great as a matter of fact I've recieved Lots of emails welcoming me and inviting me to go caching and Even supporting me through these past couple of miserable days. I understand why they didn't post their views and It's OK.
As I had said before , We were called over by people who saw our names and walked around and introduced ourselves and discovered SO MANY coins and TBs. It was cool to see TBs that I read about in caching. Lots of people came over to our table as well. It was GREAT to meet people, But we were very so nervous at first and When WE3BEANS called us over to the table to say hi, the ice broke and thats when we started getting to meet everone.
Thank You Haffy for your encouragement,
And thank you Kacky, I saw the coin, then knew the name and story!!! and Thanx for the Pathtags, I'll wear them with pride. Having a son myself, we can understand each others struggles! WE have to talk sometime!!
opalsns
Thank You All for your SUPPORT!!!!!!

WhereRWe?
03-12-2008, 07:39 AM
This is a Public Appology to Bruce aka Whererwe2.

Bruce , I want to appologize to you for the posts in the forum. Although I felt personally attacked by you, I should have respected your opinion even if you did't respect mine. I will not reply to any posts that I feel are attacking me again. I also will not go to your events or any that I am not welcomed at. I also appologize to your wife for insuting you and to ALL your friends for insulting you.
You don't have to accept this appology, but it has been offered.
Good-Bye

Apology accepted. :D:D

Cache Maine
03-12-2008, 08:10 AM
But we were very so nervous at first and When WE3BEANS called us over to the table to say hi, the ice broke and thats when we started getting to meet everone!!

High fives all around to the We3Beans....this is not the first time they have welcomed new people and made them feel comfortable at an event. Mrs Bean definately has a knack for it. And Jonah is so cute that you just can't help to talk to that little guy. Oh, and John, you are cute toooooooo! :D

fsquire
04-05-2008, 04:12 PM
I have/had a TB," Gordon the BOXCAR-HOBO" TB1CY12 that was last seen in the hands of one of Geocaching Maine's members..."Cachesclays". Here is his log as to his find...Notice the date of pickup.http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/picked_up.gif 9/30/2007 cachesclays (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=7057e739-7722-4cf9-ab2c-a1972e8153a0) retrieved it from Brady Bunch #8 - Cindy (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1943c99f-f63b-4c67-b943-4f7854f90511) Maine [visit log (http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?LUID=3920fb78-6554-4ea6-a514-14031f94f60d)]
Found this with Cindy and will be moving it along in a bit I hope to help Gordon out a bit. Cachesclays.
> I don't know if there is anything anyone can do to help retrieve it.
> I have e-mailed him several times and received no responses. He used to sign on with AIM as "anmato" , but after I questioned him via Instant Message, he no longer signs on.
> We don't know what goes on in another's personal life...but if another member knows him personally...maybe something "new" can come to light and maybe a solution can be found.
> Please feel free to e-mail me with any news or constructive comments you may have.
> Seeking other possible solutions...,
> fsquire the Boxcar-Hobo

Gordon the Boxcar-Hobo is back in action...! http://www.ligeocaching.org/components/com_fireboard/template/palm_springs/images/english/emoticons/grin.png

Post left by cachesclays at Andy River Park & Grab ( GC12RYE )
April 5 by cachesclays (22 found)

Finally back at it. It's been a long winter. It took a bit of work but we managed. Took the multicolored pin and left Gordon. TFTC. Cachesclays and Tony.

I left a note saying "TY" at Andy River Park & Grab.

And a note here for all those that, assisted and offered to assist, in finding Gordon.
Thank You All! :D

Like I said" You never know what is going on in someone else's personal life...so have faith and keep at it...you've got nothing to lose!"
I didn't really say all that...but that's how I feel now.