View Full Version : Mystery Writer to Discuss Geocaching at the Bangor Public Library

Macmo
07-19-2007, 06:30 AM
My wife just spotted this in the Maine Edge ( a free rag distributed up here in the Bangor area).

This is an excerpt from the article which can be found at

http://www.themaineedge.com/content/4868/Buzz_Briefs_071807/
Mystery writer Hayden to visit Bangor Library

BANGOR – "Mystery writer L.C. Hayden will visit the Bangor Public Library".................................................. ...Hayden will also introduce attendees to geocaching, the contemporary form of treasure hunting, which is the subject of her latest book set right here in Maine.

Visit the link for the Maine Edge to get the rest of the details(including the date).

Anyone read this book yet? This is the first I have heard of this book and a quick search of the forum didn't reveal anyone else talking about it.

Sounds like a must attend event...

Cache Maine
07-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Excellent post, thanks so much for this Macmo!

Here is a link to the book on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Why-Casey-Had-Die-Bronson/dp/1594144931/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6971926-1604727?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184842954&sr=8-1). (Only 4 copies left, I checked online at Borders and it's a special order, did not check Mr. Paperback) I'm going to buy a copy so if anybody in this area would like to borrow when I'm done, just let me know.

Hard to tell what kind of spin this puts on geocaching....time will tell.

firefighterjake
07-19-2007, 07:35 AM

Here is a link to the book on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Why-Casey-Had-Die-Bronson/dp/1594144931/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6971926-1604727?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184842954&sr=8-1). (Only 4 copies left, I checked online at Borders and it's a special order, did not check Mr. Paperback) I'm going to buy a copy so if anybody in this area would like to borrow when I'm done, just let me know.

A little sidenote: The book publisher is located right here in the good ol' State of Maine. The publisher is Thorndike Press, a subsidiary of Gale Publishing, and is located on Kennedy Memorial Drive in Waterville -- although they don't publish books there.

While I never worked in the Waterville office I did work as a typesetter for a number of years when they were located in Unity (the big gray building near the old Beverage Mill in case you're wondering Hiram) . . .

I owe a lot to that company. It gave me back some of my self-esteem after failing miserably at my first job after graduation (working as a reporter for the Commercial Fisheries News in Stonington), I was able to sell some of my photos for book covers (no big name authors however) and most importantly of all I met my future wife there . . . even though my first impression of her was that she looked quite PO-ed at the time.

hollora
07-19-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm going to buy a copy so if anybody in this area would like to borrow when I'm done, just let me know.

Please put me in line! Also, let me know if you want a library jacket cover put on the paper cover - can get this done for you. Let me know if I should also recommend that book to our library for purchase.

Cache Maine
07-19-2007, 10:26 AM
10-4 on the book cover! Woo hoo!

It will be here tomorrow...gotta love Amazon!

Mainiac1957
07-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm not a big reader, but I will make an exception for this. (Unless you tell me it sucks);)

firefighterjake
07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not a big reader, but I will make an exception for this. (Unless you tell me it sucks);)

You can always just look at the pictures. ;) :D

hollora
07-19-2007, 02:19 PM
10-4 on the book cover! Woo hoo!

It will be here tomorrow...gotta love Amazon!

Knowing you - it was free shipping too! They are available on half.com but cost more.

Haffy
07-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Here is another link http://lchayden.freeservers.com/lcgeocache.HTM

Sudonim
07-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Here is another link http://lchayden.freeservers.com/lcgeocache.HTM

I like the photos she posted here. At least it tells me she has at least done some caching and maybe use it in the book in a good light. I would be afraid that someone that's just heard of it would think "Cool, good topic to write about" and use it negatively as a plot device.

Macmo
07-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Well you will actually have to thank my wife. I like Maniac was only looking at the pictures and missed the article.

Actually I look forward to perusing the Maine Edge on a weekly basis. Last week I ground through "the Best Coffee in Bangor" and this week pored over the Beer Article, "What Ales You?" and then digested the article, "Where to Find the Best Wrap in Bangor," after which I went today on their advice and had a yummy turkey brie wrap at Montes....

WhereRWe?
07-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Actually I look forward to perusing the Maine Edge on a weekly basis. Last week I ground through "the Best Coffee in Bangor" and this week pored over the Beer Article, "What Ales You?"

Hmmm... Beer!

Hey - Hiram! Check this link (http://www.themaineedge.com/assets/071807_Low.pdf)!

:D :D

Cache Maine
07-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Knowing you - it was free shipping too! They are available on half.com but cost more.

$1.99

I know....I bent my own rule for this one.

Medawisla
07-19-2007, 08:09 PM
most importantly of all I met my future wife there . . . even though my first impression of her was that she looked quite PO-ed at the time.

Haha, you and Hiram might have more in common than you think ;) ...:eek: ...:D

This is very cool, thanks for sharing everyone!

firefighterjake
07-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Haha, you and Hiram might have more in common than you think ;) ...:eek: ...:D

This is very cool, thanks for sharing everyone!

Sounds like there's a story here. . . .

Cache Maine
08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Just a reminder, this event is tomorrow at the Bangor Public Library at 2 pm. We would love to see you there!

Medawisla
08-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Just a reminder, this event is tomorrow at the Bangor Public Library at 2 pm. We would love to see you there!

Seems like I'll be in Bar Harbor for a meeting then. Gonna miss it...:(

firefighterjake
08-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Unfortunately I'll be at "work." :D

Cache Maine
08-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Seems like I'll be in Bar Harbor for a meeting then. Gonna miss it...:(

I didn't even think to bring a camera. Bummer.

hollora
08-02-2007, 11:06 AM
I didn't even think to bring a camera. Bummer.

I'll bring mine - maybe she will let us post a photo of her signing your book!

firefighterjake
08-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I'll bring mine - maybe she will let us post a photo of her signing your book!

And be sure to invite her to do some local geocaching afterwards!;)

Cache Maine
08-02-2007, 04:41 PM
That L.C. is a great lady....we had a blast. A small group gathered today to hear her speak at the Bangor Public Library. She told us all about her books and many geocaching stories. There were several people in the room that had never heard of it. After the talk, we traded sig items with her and she signed some books. It was well worth going to meet her. She has a big book signing tomorrow in Waterville, at Five Star Publishing, a party to celebrate her book nomination. Hollora has the pictures.

hollora
08-02-2007, 06:25 PM
This great lady started her talk about her book, Why Casey Had to Die, with a basic explanation of Geocaching. She is a very animated speaker and uses props. When she announced there were 500+ caches in the Bangor area, she held up some printed cache pages. You can image the surprised look Cache Maine and I had as we saw a Maine Rose Cache page. We looked at each other as she continued her talk and explained a lot about her writing. One thing she explained is how she familiarizes herself such as learning to Geocache with her husband.

As CM mentioned, they are on to the Waterville area for an event tomorrow. We enjoyed spending some time with her after her talk. Got our books signed and did some photos (sorry they are so blurry). We made a promise to keep in touch via email.

Don't know if CM got it but I totally forgot to get her caching ID - duhh!:(

Cache Maine
08-02-2007, 06:38 PM
This great lady started her talk about her book, Why Casey Had to Die, with a basic explanation of Geocaching. She is a very animated speaker and uses props. When she announced there were 500+ caches in the Bangor area, she held up some printed cache pages. You can image the surprised look Cache Maine and I had as we saw a Maine Rose Cache page. We looked at each other as she continued her talk and explained a lot about her writing. One thing she explained is how she familiarizes herself such as learning to Geocache with her husband.

As CM mentioned, they are on to the Waterville area for an event tomorrow. We enjoyed spending some time with her after her talk. Got our books signed and did some photos (sorry they are so blurry). We made a promise to keep in touch via email.

Don't know if CM got it but I totally forgot to get her caching ID - duhh!:(

I'm sure we will be in touch, so we can ask her. I hope they get some in Maine while they are here.....they seemed to love the state. (They are here from El Paso, Texas)

hollora
08-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Trying to link some photos - hope this works.

hollora
08-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Linking a couple more.