View Full Version : Largest TB ever, I think

PLMerry
07-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Anyody interested in helping?

A couple of weeks ago I had to leave ME and go to TX quickly do to a death in the imediate family. I made it from Benton to Augusta were my car's engine head blew. I got a rental in August and turned it in here in OH, my home state, prior to driving to TX and back. (almost 5,300 miles driven in six days)

This all means that my car, now fixed, is in ME and I am in OH. I was woundering if I attached a key to a travel bug, would cachers be intereed in driving the car towards OH, securing the vehicle, and dropping the TB with key in a near by and hopefully very well used cache. Of course, anyone who picks up the TB would need to get the location of the vehicle so there would be some way of knowing who had possetion of the vehicle. OR Coordination would need to be made with another cacher willing to help out. Any cacher who put fuel in the vehicle would be reimbursed.

If I find enough interested cachers I might be willing to do this.

Oh, yeah, the car has a manual transmission, but I am told in ME most of you can handle that.

Let me know what you all think.

Pete

attroll
07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
What kind of car is it?

PLMerry
07-26-2007, 12:19 PM
Chevy Cavalier, full of my camping gear. I still need to pay the mechanics though before they will release it.

attroll
07-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I would love to go to Ohio but then the issue would be getting back home and timing this in with my vacation time.

firefighterjake
07-26-2007, 02:01 PM
I'd have to say if this was to happen -- the car being a TB and being brought out to Ohio cacher by cacher that it would be a very, very cool thing -- not to mention a very nice thing to do to help out a fellow cacher.

Of course I know of at least two cachers here who hail from the state of Ohio and they have plenty of experience with broken down vehicles. . . . ;) :D

Cache Maine
07-26-2007, 02:10 PM
If Tat wasn't on another mission, he would be the first to sign up for this.... :)

firefighterjake
07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
If Tat wasn't on another mission, he would be the first to sign up for this.... :)

Cue the heroic sounding music . . . This is a job for the Rescue Rangers!!!:D

hollora
07-26-2007, 05:48 PM
We saw plenty of cars as TBs at GW5. If you do this, keep the TB attached - for the life of the car!

Hope someone can help and may be OH bound. I can think of lots of good reasons to go - The AirForce Museum, Longaberger factory and loads more plusof course caches.

teamdozer12
07-26-2007, 07:35 PM
This sounds like a really cool thing! If it does happen, keep us all posted here! I know I would be interested on watching the car's travels! ;)

I wish I could help out! :(

altoclef
07-27-2007, 09:19 AM
I probably won't be going to Ohio again this summer (just got back on Sunday), but if I can help by driving or giving someone a ride back to their car, let me know.

Y'know, the car won't fit into very many caches, but the keys would...

WhereRWe?
07-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Y'know, the car won't fit into very many caches, but the keys would...

We saw one REALLY BIG CACHE when we went to GeoWoodstock5. It was called "RBC" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1c08059b-9537-4b34-8589-7140ae70d556). It was located at the Raleigh (NC) Business Center, but that was not the reason for the name of the cache! LOL!

Just look at the list of original contents, and you'll see that it was quite a monster (it wouldn't hold a car, but I bet RULOST2? would fit! LOL!)

And note that in the list of original contents, you'll also find the numbers you'd need to open the padlock! LOL!

PLMerry
07-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Great to see some iinterest in this!

I would love to go to Ohio but then the issue would be getting back home and timing this in with my vacation time.

ATTROLL; When are you planning to take a vacation? I could get you a flight on SkyBus back to Portsmouth, NH. Also there is a lot of good caching around here if you wanted to spend some time.

The trick would be getting you from Portsmouth back to your home, maybe we could take the TB off of the car and place it on you as an ear ring or something and move you from cache to cache back towards your home. :eek:

attroll
07-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Great to see some iinterest in this!

ATTROLL; When are you planning to take a vacation? I could get you a flight on SkyBus back to Portsmouth, NH. Also there is a lot of good caching around here if you wanted to spend some time.

The trick would be getting you from Portsmouth back to your home, maybe we could take the TB off of the car and place it on you as an ear ring or something and move you from cache to cache back towards your home. :eek:
Sorry planes are not in my itinerary anymore. I flew in enough planes in my 20 years in the navy during duty station transfers and going overseas. I have vowed not to set flight in another plane again as long as I live. 911 did not help matters either.

It looks like I am going to take my vacation either the first or the second week of October. I am going to do a week of backpacking on the Appalachian Trail for a week, so it looks like the drive it out of the question right now.