View Full Version : Garmin Vista HCX

Haffy
07-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Am looking at investing in a new GPS soon and came across these guys. I have read many good reports about them and the price they have seems to be pretty reasonable as well. They sold out their first shipment and won't be expecting another shipment til August but at this price I can wait til then. The cheapest I have seen so far.

http://www.gpsonsale.com/

WhereRWe?
07-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Am looking at investing in a new GPS soon and came across these guys. I have read many good reports about them and the price they have seems to be pretty reasonable as well. They sold out their first shipment and won't be expecting another shipment til August but at this price I can wait til then. The cheapest I have seen so far.

https://www.linkpointcart.net/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?cartidnum=165.166.183.166T1185637752R1087 E

You'd be happier with this (https://www.linkpointcart.net/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?cartidnum=69.21.250.134T1185639195R3563E) - and you also get a $50 rebate from Garmin! :D :D

(Still haven't figured out clickable links? :p :p )

Team2hunt
07-28-2007, 03:17 PM
You'd be happier with this (https://www.linkpointcart.net/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?cartidnum=69.21.250.134T1185639195R3563E) - and you also get a $50 rebate from Garmin! :D :D

By clicking on this link you have just given out your email address to thousands of users. ;) LOL

Haffy
07-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Well I have seen the 60csx and I like the smallness of my Vista and with the new high senstivity chip in the new "H" series with the added bonus of the "X" expandable memory card, I will have the best of both worlds...:D I never did like the 60 series, to me it is just a little too bulky for my taste. Each to his own I guess.

And what did you mean by clickable link, can't you click on it and it brings you to the site? Explain yourself please.....

WhereRWe?
07-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Well I have seen the 60csx and I like the smallness of my Vista and with the new high senstivity chip in the new "H" series with the added bonus of the "X" expandable memory card, I will have the best of both worlds...:D I never did like the 60 series, to me it is just a little too bulky for my taste. Each to his own I guess.

LOL! All that "bulk" is taken up with features the Vista doesn't have! :p :p

(And try your link again - see what you get...)

Sabby
07-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I've got over 13,000 miles on my CSx and love it :)

Haffy
07-28-2007, 10:47 PM
LOL! All that "bulk" is taken up with features the Vista doesn't have! :p :p

Less is more to me though, I like my Vista and the new one will be even better.

brdad
07-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Am I correct in reading that with these new units and all their fancy colors and technology and expansion card capability, that you are still limited to 1000 waypoints? Seems kind of dumb to have all that extra storage and not be able to load several thousand waypoints to the card. :(

WhereRWe?
07-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Am I correct in reading that with these new units and all their fancy colors and technology and expansion card capability, that you are still limited to 1000 waypoints? Seems kind of dumb to have all that extra storage and not be able to load several thousand waypoints to the card. :(

Don't understand why Garmin does this, but if you load a file of waypoints (caches) from GSAK (for example), you are limited to 1,000. But you can use Garmin's Points of Interest (POI) loader software to load a file containing as many "waypoints" as your unit's memory will hold.

The trouble is, getting the POI to reflect the geocache icon. I've done it before, but I can't explain how. Once you get the POI to reflect the geocache icon, it will show as a geocache and not as another point of interest.

Yeah - this probably sounds confusing, but it's a start to the discussion! LOL!

Haffy
07-29-2007, 11:54 AM
I think if more geocachers just wrote to Garmin and asked them to up the geocache waypoints to unlimited, with the expandable memory that is available now, then they just might catch on. I know others who use the POI loader as a way to store geocache waypoints but like Bruce stated it seems to be a bit confusing as to how it is done.

WhereRWe?
07-29-2007, 12:09 PM
I think if more geocachers just wrote to Garmin and asked them to up the geocache waypoints to unlimited, with the expandable memory that is available now, then they just might catch on.

Sure doesn't seem like there is any real reason why they can't do it...

Seems to me like it would be a simple software change. Any programmers out there that would have a better explanation? :confused: :confused:

Sudonim
07-29-2007, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Garmin to make a software update. I'm still waiting for them to make good on their announcement Jan 2006 that by the end of '06 they would be Mac compatible. Still loading coords manually on my 60csx :mad:
At least on my Vista, I could cobble together software and an adapter to load coords...

Team2hunt
07-29-2007, 08:36 PM

How many caches do you expect to find in one day? Or even in a weekend? :p

Team2hunt
07-29-2007, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Garmin to make a software update. I'm still waiting for them to make good on their announcement Jan 2006 that by the end of '06 they would be Mac compatible. Still loading coords manually on my 60csx :mad:
At least on my Vista, I could cobble together software and an adapter to load coords...

I'm still waiting for them to put in the bridge at exit 113 on route 3. It's been open for 4 years now! I know other company's have links on their websites for peolple to send in info on the new and old roads.

Wake up! Garmin. :eek:

brdad
07-29-2007, 09:13 PM

The same reason people want 2,000 mp3's on their ipod when they only have time to listen to 15 songs. :)

We never take an expected route - sometimes on purpose, sometimes not so much. The laptop will hold all the waypoints I want as well as my PDA, why shouldn't I expect the same from a GPS?

I do remember cachers using the POI feature for caches - but having to use a workaround on a $400 GPS seems a little unproductive!

I am guessing Garmin's excuse for not using the card for waypoint storage is they allready have code written to store them in the main memory, and it will take a new set of code to deal with waypoints stored in multiple locations and handling removal and insertion of new cards. Still, about as lame an excuse as that (insert name of lamest cache here) cache.

Sudonim
07-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Harder to see needing more than 1K HERE, but in a place like Cacheville, TN, you can put in 1000 and go 20 miles, oops, outside your cache range. It would be nice to be able to do your 3 or 4 PQ's for Maine and have them no matter what direction you decide to go.

brdad
07-30-2007, 06:28 AM

Doesn't GPSBabel work on all operating systems?

WhereRWe?
07-30-2007, 07:21 AM

Unless you plan to update your GPSr from the laptop every 200 miles, or are adept with using "caches-along-a-route" (I'm certainly not!), having more than 1,000 caches on the GPSr is a GREAT help when on a road trip.

:D :D

Sudonim
07-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Doesn't GPSBabel work on all operating systems?

That may work, thanks for the tip Dave. I'll try it this week.

firefighterjake
07-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Well I don't know much about GSX or anything, but I could have used some of you Garmin users the other day. I had a very-last minute request to help out a woman in Albion who hosts a farm camp for children. She wanted to show and tell them about how some farmers (mostly in the midwest) use GPSr to mark out their fields . . . and after her short talk she wanted to show the kids how to use GPSrs by taking them on a scavenger hunt of sorts (incidentally that maybe would make for an interesting type of new geocache) around the farm.

After a half hour or so I think I figured out how to use the Garmin units she had borrowed from a local school, but I couldn't set it up so that the compass arrow was pointing to the cache. When I finally left after an hour or so (I had to do some packing) the poor children were wandering around in circles.

I almost called Hiram or TRF up to see if they could help . . .

WhereRWe?
07-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Well I don't know much about GSX or anything, but I could have used some of you Garmin users the other day. I had a very-last minute request to help out a woman in Albion who hosts a farm camp for children. She wanted to show and tell them about how some farmers (mostly in the midwest) use GPSr to mark out their fields

Sheesh! This is Maine! She should have told the kids how some maple syrup operators in Maine use their GPSr's to map their sap lines! LOL!

brdad
07-31-2007, 07:08 PM
After a half hour or so I think I figured out how to use the Garmin units she had borrowed from a local school, but I couldn't set it up so that the compass arrow was pointing to the cache. When I finally left after an hour or so (I had to do some packing) the poor children were wandering around in circles.

The Garmin and Magellan are almost the same for this feature: On Garmins there is a "go to" button that does soemthing similar to the "Go to a town near" button you use with your Magellan. :D

firefighterjake
08-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Sheesh! This is Maine! She should have told the kids how some maple syrup operators in Maine use their GPSr's to map their sap lines! LOL!

Huh . . . I didn't know they were doing that . . . wish I had known.

firefighterjake
08-01-2007, 06:45 AM
The Garmin and Magellan are almost the same for this feature: On Garmins there is a "go to" button that does soemthing similar to the "Go to a town near" button you use with your Magellan. :D

:D :D Everyone's a comedian.