View Full Version : Update on TAT

Kaching Karen
07-31-2007, 02:16 PM
I met TAT in Stonington on Saturday to kayak with him a bit. Little did I know what I was in for... When he offered me the "Delux tour of Isle au Haut" I thought we'd be kayaking around the island. Instead, we biked and hiked the island. It was a treat for me and a nice break for TAT. I also nabbed a cache along the way (Kayaker's Delight).
He's on schedule and looking forward to seeing people along the way. I won't be able to join him again until the finish which is in the Campobella/Lubec area during Labor Day weekend. Hopefully, he'll make some connections and do some fundraising for the National Brain Tumor Foundation. www.mainetrek.com

Also, he's putting together an event for September 15th-16th at Warren State Park. It looks like a lot of fun. Keep your eyes open for the posting.

Haffy
07-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Man I wish I was around. And what a great photo,where was it taken?

hollora
07-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Also, he's putting together an event for September 15th-16th at Warren State Park. It looks like a lot of fun. Keep your eyes open for the posting.

Weekend of the other groups Geocaching Rally but sure he knows.

Kaching Karen
07-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Man I wish I was around. And what a great photo,where was it taken?

It was taken just north of Isle au Haut. He's headed to Wheat Island in the background.

Medawisla
07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
There's a great book set on that isle! The Lobster Chronicles.:)
I'm so siked about the event at Warren Island.:D That's where I first camped when I came to Maine in August 2003!! :cool:

tat
08-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Weekend of the other groups Geocaching Rally but sure he knows.

Yes, I know about the MGA rally event. But we (Maine Island Trail Association) picked this date at last years campout. The annual campout had dwindled down to just 5 people and the MITA director wanted to find someone to organize this years campout.

I said I'd do it, but needed to move it one week so it would not conflict with Mainiac's event.

I'm very sorry to schedule on the same day, but it was unavoidable.

Foxgloves
08-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Tat
It sounds like you are a having a great time and seeing lots of beautiful places...
I have already made plans for Labor Day weekend otherwise I"d be there with everyone else to wecome you back.

Isle au Haut is a place I have always wanted to go....someday I"ll get there and visit.

Be safe on the rest of your journey TAT :)

hollora
08-01-2007, 03:28 PM
So TAT is this an Island Trail Event or will it be a Geocaching event? I have to get a boat - I love that island!

Mainiac1957
08-01-2007, 03:40 PM
So TAT is this an Island Trail Event or will it be a Geocaching event? I have to get a boat - I love that island!

It's a cache event too. Go see
(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e4f11c72-1280-4006-a8b2-616d9ae51022)

hollora
08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
It's a cache event too. Go see
(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e4f11c72-1280-4006-a8b2-616d9ae51022)

Woo, hoo - been there and posted my intentions!

tat
08-01-2007, 07:16 PM
There are two events at the same time. I think both groups will enjoy each others company. And both group have a lot to offer.

brdad
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Just how tough a paddle is it over there? And if too tough, what would someone charge to tow ours over ;-)
We just did our first ocean kayak the other day, and it was a sissy trip.

Medawisla
08-01-2007, 10:06 PM
I've penciled it in. But I might have to talk Hiram into it.:rolleyes: I've ferried over to Islesboro and kayaked to Warren four years ago, but I had permission to cross private property back then.:cool: Is there a way to kayak from the main land that wouldn't be too rough? Hiram and I would have to find boats, too.:( Is there any other way to get there from here??:confused:

attroll
08-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I wish I could make this event but it is the same weekend as my hiker feed I am putting on in Monson.

Mainiac1957
08-02-2007, 06:04 AM
I've penciled it in. But I might have to talk Hiram into it.:rolleyes: I've ferried over to Islesboro and kayaked to Warren four years ago, but I had permission to cross private property back then.:cool: Is there a way to kayak from the main land that wouldn't be too rough? Hiram and I would have to find boats, too.:( Is there any other way to get there from here??:confused:

Just charter a barge and put the Jeep on it. Have them moor if off shore so Hiram can have all his gizmos at his disposal. Simple..right!:rolleyes:

tat
08-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Just buy Hiram a snorkle upgrade and let him drive.

Or, you can use the ferry and let us shuttle you over. From Isleboro. It's easy, but please rsvp so I know to come pick you up.

tat
08-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Just how tough a paddle is it over there? And if too tough, what would someone charge to tow ours over ;-)
We just did our first ocean kayak the other day, and it was a sissy trip.

Last night, it was easy. Today, It's a bit windy and more of a challenge. If a tanker comes through, you'll be in for a ride. The crossing can be very bad and one year someone on a sit on top had to be rescued. If you do decide to make the crossing, be sure you know at least one self rescue technique and travel with a group. Leave early in the am to avoid wind.

Or, just take the ferry and let us shutle you over.

firefighterjake
08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Just buy Hiram a snorkle upgrade and let him drive.

Or, you can use the ferry and let us shuttle you over. From Isleboro. It's easy, but please rsvp so I know to come pick you up.

Ah, no . . . I remember this well from this past weekend . . . no snorkles for Hiram. It's "Car. Kayak and . . ." oh man, I always forget that last part. It wasn't a Magellan GPSr . . . or a life-long subscription to AAA . . . or a 52-inch plasma HDTV . . . ok, Misawala you'll have to help me out . . . what was it again . . . it wasn't a camera or bikes was it . . . geez, now it's bugging me.

hollora
08-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Last night, it was easy. Today, It's a bit windy and more of a challenge. If a tanker comes through, you'll be in for a ride. The crossing can be very bad and one year someone on a sit on top had to be rescued. If you do decide to make the crossing, be sure you know at least one self rescue technique and travel with a group. Leave early in the am to avoid wind.

Or, just take the ferry and let us shutle you over.

What are the details on the shuttle plans?

tat
08-03-2007, 06:18 AM
What are the details on the shuttle plans?

RSVP, so we know you are comming.

Park your car at the Isleboro ferry terminal, It's free.

Take the ferry, it costs 3.75 round trip and leaves on the hour from Lincolnville.

We wiil meet you at the ferry and take you and your gear to the island.

On Sunday, we'll get you back to the ferry.

hollora
08-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Brad and I are working on a plan but this helps too. Sounds like you are going to have a boat larger than a kayak. Thanks TAT

tat
08-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Yes, it will be a Lund flat bottom aluminum skiff with an outboard motor.

Medawisla
08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Tat, doesn't the lap top get a little wet when you pop it open in the kayak??:confused: :rolleyes:

Medawisla
08-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Ah, no . . . I remember this well from this past weekend . . . no snorkles for Hiram. It's "Car. Kayak and . . ." oh man, I always forget that last part. It wasn't a Magellan GPSr . . . or a life-long subscription to AAA . . . or a 52-inch plasma HDTV . . . ok, Misawala you'll have to help me out . . . what was it again . . . it wasn't a camera or bikes was it . . . geez, now it's bugging me.

You're really confusing folks aren't you FFJ?? :confused:
Yes, Hiram can get a snorkle if he pays for the alignment the jeep needs right now:rolleyes: , but you're right the order of next major investments are as follows: car, house, kayak!:D I think originally kayak was first, but we really don't have room for it until we get a house, so that puts it at the end of the list...sorry Hiram...:o

tat
08-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Tat, doesn't the lap top get a little wet when you pop it open in the kayak??:confused: :rolleyes:

I have a web enabled cell phone, it lives in a pelican case and never gets opened in the kayak. A laptop would not get the internet as many places as this does. Right now, I'm on a little Island in penobscot bay.

becket
08-07-2007, 05:52 AM
tat, i wish i had been paying better attention - i would have loved to see you when you came into stonington!

tat
09-02-2007, 04:20 PM
tomorrow is the last Day of my trip! I hope to paddle (with Karen) into the boat launch in Machias at 1:00 PM . Then, it's back to the real world.

WhereRWe?
09-02-2007, 05:00 PM
tomorrow is the last Day of my trip! I hope to paddle (with Karen) into the boat launch in Machias at 1:00 PM . Then, it's back to the real world.

A great experience, Tom! You can "stand tall" as we say in the Army! LOL!

Haffy
09-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Looking forward to all the great stories and photos when all this is done. Hope you get some time to write about it. Will make a great book.

teamdozer12
09-02-2007, 09:39 PM
AN amazing, great job! Something to be proud of! Congrats to you on your finish and great accomplishment!

Cache Maine
09-03-2007, 05:03 AM

We are on our way to see you in Machias and welcome you home! We look the long, scenic route and we are in Woodstock Canada right now.
See you in about 6 hours and three delorme maps later!

Team2hunt
09-03-2007, 07:40 PM
I knew there was a reason why it was......TAT's Rescue Rangers. Congrats Tom on a great trip and well deserved cudos. Thanks. :)