View Full Version : I need help with a boyscout event.

lefty
08-06-2007, 04:32 PM
I got the following from the Boy Scout Leader in Bath Maine and was wondering if someone from the Oxford area can help. I would be all over this but I'm on business travel to Korea on the KMD program. If my trip falls through I will be there to help. Rick

I am working on Special Events for the Pine Tree Council's 100th
Anniversary of the 1st Boy Scout Camporee. To commemorate this event, the
100th anniversary of Boy Scouts, the Pine Tree Council is holding MaineJam
'07. This will encompass over 2500 scouts (age 6 - 18), 1500 scouters (18
- 80+), and numerous visitors from Southern and Central Maine descending on
Oxford County Fairgrounds in Oxford (about 1/2 mile from Norway). This
3-day event (October 19, 20, & 21) will be filled with action packed, hands
on events.
I am looking for a Geocaching station where boys can learn the
basics of Geocaching and then take a short cache trek around the Oxford
County Fairgrounds. The station would run on Saturday October 20th from 9
- 4 (we will provide lunch). I would expect a few hundred boys to visit
the station throughout the day. They can be assembled into groups of 4 - 5
and then run a short course. Please let me know your thoughts on this and
a contact for the geocaching group.

I greatly appreciate your help.

I told him I would post it and see if the Maine Geocaching Community could help. Thanks in advance.

Please email me or reply here if you are interested and I will PM you the contact info.

Rick

Mainiac1957
08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
We are involved with Troop One here in Brewer. Mike is a scout in that troop. If we go to the camporee, I may be available to help. I do not know for sure if we are going. If anyone else is going then maybe we can get together on this.

Haffy
08-06-2007, 05:49 PM
I think this would be a great way to get some local geocachers in that area involved and also get some much needed PR for this site as well. If I was in the area I would volunteer. Hopefully someone from that area can put something together for that great cause and group of kids.

pjpreb
08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Pete's family is native to that area and we would be very happy to help "man the station". We have marked off that date on our calendar and are looking forward to it. Please email us details/contact/additional info.

lefty
08-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. Lets please make this work. I have a local thing going with the troop later on in early winter. The troop leader threw this at me as a surprise. I hope we can help. The positive in this for Maine caching is un-heard of. We can plant the seeds for a whole new generation.

Thanks again.

Rick

pjpreb
09-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Haven't heard a peep about this. Is this event still on? Do they still need volunteers? Waiting for an email or a PM...

Haffy
09-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Check out the MGA site they seem to have a contingent that will be helping out with this.

Haffy
09-18-2007, 08:57 PM
So did anyone decide that they would be helping out in some way? I see there is a contingent of MGA'ers going to help out.

Haffy
10-12-2007, 05:42 PM
So is there anyone from GCM going to help out with this event?

pjpreb
10-12-2007, 08:48 PM
We never heard back from our offer to help but we'll show up and see if we can lend a hand. We have a early morning committment but will be there mid-morning.

Haffy
10-13-2007, 06:15 AM
I would suggest maybe getting in touch with Homedezinahs as he has mentioned it a couple of times on the MGA site and is looking for volunteers to help.

pjpreb
10-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Looks like I'll probably be working on Saturday :(

Haffy
10-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Too bad, looks like the MGA will be getting all the credit for helping out with this event. Was hoping GCM would have had a couple of people interested in helping out with the cause.

teamdozer12
10-17-2007, 11:45 PM
I don't really see it as credit really!! I think it is a shame that both sites do not work together more often....what a shame! I was,(AND AM) as I am sure most of you know a member of the MGA first...then I stumbled upon this site! It is a shame that these two sites cannot be as one! It wasn't long after I was a member of this site that I saw some negativity towards the 'other' site! I have NEVER seen that from the MGA! From my first cache I felt like family there.....where as here I feel like I have to prove something to fit in....Don't get me wrong as there are great members on either side, and it seems that we are all in this for the same purpose, although some of us may have a different opinion on what a great hide is... micro vs. traditional....yada yada....it would be nice to see the two sites unite....I like this site as it has many great members and much to offer! However everyone from the MGA is equally as nice and helpful! It would be nice to see this 'highschool' nonsense end! AND for ALL of us MAINER's to finally work together! Not worry about who's attending what and who can help with what.....let's help eachother, and try to make EVERYONE feel welcome, and to know that everyone has there own likes and dislikes....hopefully my post is not deleted...I don't mean negativity to anyone, just something I have been wanting to let out for a bit......let's work together...even if we don't agree, let's keep geocaching alive and well in MAINE!

brdad
10-18-2007, 06:35 AM
I don't really see it as credit really!! I think it is a shame that both sites do not work together more often....what a shame! I was,(AND AM) as I am sure most of you know a member of the MGA first...then I stumbled upon this site! It is a shame that these two sites cannot be as one! It wasn't long after I was a member of this site that I saw some negativity towards the 'other' site! I have NEVER seen that from the MGA! From my first cache I felt like family there.....where as here I feel like I have to prove something to fit in....Don't get me wrong as there are great members on either side, and it seems that we are all in this for the same purpose, although some of us may have a different opinion on what a great hide is... micro vs. traditional....yada yada....it would be nice to see the two sites unite....I like this site as it has many great members and much to offer! However everyone from the MGA is equally as nice and helpful! It would be nice to see this 'highschool' nonsense end! AND for ALL of us MAINER's to finally work together! Not worry about who's attending what and who can help with what.....let's help eachother, and try to make EVERYONE feel welcome, and to know that everyone has there own likes and dislikes....hopefully my post is not deleted...I don't mean negativity to anyone, just something I have been wanting to let out for a bit......let's work together...even if we don't agree, let's keep geocaching alive and well in MAINE!

Firstly, there is no reason for your post to be deleted. In my opinion, what has happened between the sites is in the past but it will take time to some relationships there. I will also say the reason you may not see any negativity there is because mention of this site may be censured, I am aware that has been the case a few times in the past. And if that is the policy there, fine. It is not the policy here. Anyway, I am not interested in telling the whole story or to place blame anywhere so unfortunately you are left in the dark on that subject.

But you can help this site if you can give any examples of where you thought you had to prove you had to fit in, or any other issues you have seen. Other members who feel the same way are encouraged to speak up as well. I do remember there was an issue with our chat, which we are sorry for. This site is what it is because of it's members, the more input and ideas we can have the stronger the site is and the more it benefits the site as well as the state of Geocaching in Maine.

Haffy
10-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Firstly, there is no reason for your post to be deleted. In my opinion, what has happened between the sites is in the past but it will take time to some relationships there. I will also say the reason you may not see any negativity there is because mention of this site may be censured, I am aware that has been the case a few times in the past. And if that is the policy there, fine. It is not the policy here. Anyway, I am not interested in telling the whole story or to place blame anywhere so unfortunately you are left in the dark on that subject.

But you can help this site if you can give any examples of where you thought you had to prove you had to fit in, or any other issues you have seen. Other members who feel the same way are encouraged to speak up as well. I do remember there was an issue with our chat, which we are sorry for. This site is what it is because of it's members, the more input and ideas we can have the stronger the site is and the more it benefits the site as well as the state of Geocaching in Maine.

That is exactly what has happened on many occasions in fact just recently I mentioned this site on the other site and it wasn't too long after that, that my post was deleted once again. I emailed the administrator as quickly as I could and he said he didn't think any mention of our site on the MGA site was warranted. In my opinion that is also childish as well and think that both sites should come to realize that we are all in this thing together and when the time comes to really make a stand on geocaching in general we will need the support from all geocachers and not just from one group or the other.

As for myself I think both sites have things to offer that the other doesn't and that makes it a good thing. Down here in SC there are approximately 6 or 8 different groups in the state and all do good things and when it comes time for events and such all cachers from all the different groups get together for the comraderie and fellowship which is the way it should be. Each group is in it's own particular region of the state. When it comes to CITO events I havent seen a month go by when there wasn't at least 3 or 4 different groups having an event in the region that they are in. Something that should be happening in Maine as well. I think the Maine contingent should be willing to give back in that aspect as well. I know of one CITO event in the Brewer area and one in the sourthern part of the state but that is it. Anyway that is my rant for the day and I guess it is easier to sit behind this computer in a totally different part of the country and make suggestions as to how things should be but that is up to all the Maine cachers to try and get along. I think it is time for the olive branch to come out of hiding from both sides of this topic.

Haffy
10-18-2007, 05:08 PM
I think this is getting off the original OP's topic but Team Dozer, wasn't your mention of this site GCM also deleted recently? In fact I know that it was cause I also emailed the administrator and asked why as well. He response was the same that he gave to me about not needing any mention of the site and that site was doing just fine without it. Talk about trying to get an olive branch out? I think the members and adminstrators on the MGA site need to help the situation out as well. It is NOT all one sided as it has been stated from others on the MGA site. It takes 2 to tango.!!!

WhereRWe?
10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
I think the members and adminstrators on the MGA site need to help the situation out as well. It is NOT all one sided as it has been stated from others on the MGA site. It takes 2 to tango.!!!

I usually try and avoid agreeing with Haffy, but sometimes I just have to! LOL!

:p :p :p

WhereRWe?
10-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I think this is getting off the original OP's topic

Wow! Just tried Samuel Adams' Hallertau Imperial Pilsner. Sheesh! What a rush!!! :eek: :eek:

Sudonim
10-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Wow! Just tried Samuel Adams' Hallertau Imperial Pilsner. Sheesh! What a rush!!! :eek: :eek:

Hmmm... Give Bruce a beer and he's agreeable, gotta file that trick away for future use:p

Haffy
10-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Man I know it! Heck get him drunk and just imagine what he can be capable of.......:D ;)

WhereRWe?
10-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Hmmm... Give Bruce a beer and he's agreeable, gotta file that trick away for future use:p

Money works, too. ;) ;)

Haffy
10-18-2007, 06:47 PM

Didn't I just read something recently where Bruce didn't drink anything from Boston? Or was that Hiram? I'm so confused.....:confused:

Hiram357
10-18-2007, 10:04 PM

I don't think I would drink anything from MA... they probably get the water for it right outta the charles to make the stuff... :rolleyes: :p ;)

WhereRWe?
10-19-2007, 08:25 AM
I don't think I would drink anything from MA... they probably get the water for it right outta the charles to make the stuff... :rolleyes: :p ;)

Sheesh! I'll bet it's reprocessed sewer water. What do you think "The Big Dig" was all about! LOL!

Hiram357
10-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Sheesh! I'll bet it's reprocessed sewer water. What do you think "The Big Dig" was all about! LOL!

it all makes so much sense now! :rolleyes:

pjpreb
10-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Well getting back on topic - our offer to help out with the boyscout event had everything to do with wanting to help out a great bunch of kids with a very cool hobby and had nothing to do with promoting anyone's "site" I regret that work committments are going to prevent me from attending the boyscout event. IMHO the "site wars" had no place in this thread.

Hiram357
10-19-2007, 06:27 PM
IMHO the "site wars" had no place in this thread.

I agree with ya 110% on that one :D (but the beer stuff is still ok right???:p ;) :rolleyes: )

pjpreb
10-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Ok since you asked I have an opinion on this. Not eveyone is able to attend all events and there is a lot of "inside jokes" on this site (ie: what the heck is a numbat). Also, not everyone is recognized on a milestone cache (our 500th went un-noticed) and not everyone's birthday is recognized. I enjoy these forums and have learned so much from "paying attention" but I can easily see where some people feel like they're on the outside looking in.

hollora
10-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Ok since you asked I have an opinion on this. Not eveyone is able to attend all events and there is a lot of "inside jokes" on this site (ie: what the heck is a numbat). Also, not everyone is recognized on a milestone cache (our 500th went un-noticed) and not everyone's birthday is recognized. I enjoy these forums and have learned so much from "paying attention" but I can easily see where some people feel like they're on the outside looking in.

These are all excellent examples.

I, for one, tend to watch and recognize those I cache with and know (milestones). It is with no intent to place anyone else higher than another.:o

And congrats on that 500 level. Very worthy of a pat on the back!:)

The numbat thread started after some of us all attended the same wedding. We were all seated at the same table and the tables had names of animals on them. I can't even remember what a numbat is except it lives in Austrailia. You should have jumped right in and asked but I know that is easy to now (and for me as I officiated at the wedding).

Thank you for speaking up and expressing your feelings. It is from being open and honest with one another we improve our community.:)

Haffy
10-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Well getting back on topic - our offer to help out with the boyscout event had everything to do with wanting to help out a great bunch of kids with a very cool hobby and had nothing to do with promoting anyone's "site" I regret that work committments are going to prevent me from attending the boyscout event. IMHO the "site wars" had no place in this thread.

You are 100% correct in stating that the whole object of the thread was to get help for a great bunch of kids. I was the one who originally told Lefty of the MGA site and and told him that many cachers who belonged to that site lived in that area and maybe he would get a better response from them and he did fortunately.I think Homedezinahs and Team Horwich and a couple of others will be donating their time to help the scouts out.

I apologize if it was me who hijacked the thread about the so-called "site wars" as you call them but there comes a time when both sites need to start acting like adults and get over this childish bickering.

teamdozer12
10-20-2007, 08:29 PM
I think this is getting off the original OP's topic but Team Dozer, wasn't your mention of this site GCM also deleted recently? In fact I know that it was cause I also emailed the administrator and asked why as well. He response was the same that he gave to me about not needing any mention of the site and that site was doing just fine without it. Talk about trying to get an olive branch out? I think the members and adminstrators on the MGA site need to help the situation out as well. It is NOT all one sided as it has been stated from others on the MGA site. It takes 2 to tango.!!!

Well I can have many responses,BUT I GUESS FIRST OFF...Haffy????? I am curious as to what log of mine was deleted off the MGA site???? If you can show reference or remind me of it, I would love to know....because I don't recall any logs being deleted of mine?! Or maybe this is just trouble trying to be started AGAIN! Most of the topics I respond to, have been fun and positive! I don't EVER remember talking about GCM on the MGA, so PLEASE refresh my memory. NOR HAVE ANY OF MY POSTS(to my knowledge) BEEN DELETED OFF THE MGA!

As far as my first post to get this all going:( ...I can truly say that no harm was intended. AND I truly apologize for my 'hijacking' of this thread! I have met GREAT people from both sites! Geocaching has changed my life more than most people know! MY FRUSTRATION WAS/IS hearing reference from a few different people on this site refering to the 'other' website and lots of other implied things......after only being a member here for a couple of weeks I began noticing a few comments/tension and things and it frustrated me! I never heard talk of this on the MGA, so of course I was shocked by it. I DO think that both sites have a lot of great things to offer, and I wish that we could all work together. I do not think negative of everyone on this site!!! Anyhow.....I am sorry for my comments and bringing up the 'site wars'....I had just reached a boiling point and I do think that both sites working together could definitely benefit geocaching and Maine. I guess in a perfect world we would all get along and not necessarily agree with eachother BUT support one another. I would love to see events where more members of both sites would attend! AND if this is truly in the past than let's leave this in the past...........
Christine

Haffy
10-20-2007, 08:57 PM
It was someones post and now that I think of it maybe it was one of Long Lake loonies where they mentioned GCM and Brdad had a good article about a particular subject and John deleted it, Sorry for the mistake. And there have been numerous posts that we were mentioned and they have been immediately deleted by the administrators of the MGA. Ask John and he will confirm that he has done exactly that. In a private email to me from John himself he stated that they can get along just fine without us and they have done just that. Enough said. Hopefully as you have stated and I have said all along why can't we just get along?

firefighterjake
10-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Geocaching . . . it's just a game . . . really folks . . . just a game. ;) :D

darterkitfox
10-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Well I wish that someone had decided what to do for help and gotten some plans instead of the site debates. I live 8 miles from the fairgrounds and would have liked to help out but I am not a planner and wasn't going to make a commitment until someone said what they needed done specifically. It looks like they had an impressive fireworks display in the evening at least.