View Full Version : The American Folk Festival

Team2hunt
08-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Once again Bangor is hosting The American Folk Festival. August 24,25, and 26th. I have been the past few years and look forward to this huge gathering of musicians from across the globe. Not only music, but crafts and of course food. I thought about making this an event, and meeting at Seadog's around 6PM on Saturday. But have chosen not to since I did not post it early enough.

But....here is your invitation to come and join us for the ( what I believe is the last one in Bangor. Next few years it will be in Richmond Va.) I will be there on Saturday, hopefully around noontime and my first stop will be the beer tent at the Main stage. Hope to see you all there.

Please post if you plan on attending so we can look for you. http://www.americanfolkfestival.com/

Haffy
08-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble Gary but the last year was 2 years ago and this is the last year in Richmond,VA. Bangor decided to continue with their own Festival and that is what they did 2 years ago....lol. Richmond in fact will be doing the same thing in "08" as Bangor did and will be hosting their own festival as well since they seem to be taking off so well.

Team2hunt
08-12-2007, 08:40 AM
I got the National and American Folk Festivals mixed up. Not enough coffee I guess. :confused: You're all still invited! :D Thanks Haffy for the correction.

Mainiac1957
08-12-2007, 09:42 AM
I have been at the folk festivals, both the National and the American in Bangor for the past 5 years. I am there at the kick off at 6 pm on Friday till they kick me out on Sunday afternoon. The diversity of artists always amazes me. I hope to catch up with some cachers as I have been doing for years. Come have some good music, good food, and good beer. Be sure to throw a few bucks in the buckets when the volunteer come by. It's only through the generosity of the festival goers and corporate sponsors that this will continue to be a free event. If your coming give one of us a call and we'll get together. PM me for a cell number if you are interested.

d76
08-12-2007, 09:48 AM
I have been at the folk festivals, both the National and the American in Bangor for the past 5 years. I am there at the kick off at 6 pm on Friday till they kick me out on Sunday afternoon. The diversity of artists always amazes me. I hope to catch up with some cachers as I have been doing for years. Come have some good music, good food, and good beer. Be sure to throw a few bucks in the buckets when the volunteer come by. It's only through the generosity of the festival goers and corporate sponsors that this will continue to be a free event. If your coming give one of us a call and we'll get together. PM me for a cell number if you are interested.

I to plan on spending the weekend there. To bad we hadnt placed some festival micros for the event:rolleyes:

Anyway, like Brad said. Pm me for a cell number.

See yah there

hollora
08-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Love the Fesitval. Have enjoyed, at least part of it, every year. The first few years I sailed up the river with friends and stayed on their sail boat at a mooring. One year was so hot we even went swimming in the river.

So is it 6P Saturday at Seadog? Still not to late to put out some micros if you really want them LOL!

Foxgloves
08-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Please post if you plan on attending so we can look for you. http://www.americanfolkfestival.com/

So is it 6P Saturday at Seadog? Still not to late to put out some micros if you really want them LOL!

I plan on going and am looking forward to hangin' out w/ fellow geocachers and meeting up at Sea Dogs in the evening for some dinner and brewskies...
Been wanting to meet Dave1976 (Dave and Connie) and also Dave & Gail. (will you be going?) :confused:

Haffy
08-12-2007, 10:55 AM
It's never too late,,,but micros? Come on let's use some imagination. ;) :D

hollora
08-12-2007, 10:59 AM
It's never too late,,,but micros? Come on let's use some imagination. ;) :D

Just kidding! Plus, I seem to remember from some old caches near the waterfront the Harbor Master does not want any caches on the land or shore he is responsible to patrol. With the cruise ships coming in, caching on the Bangor waterfront is probably not a great idea.

Seadog is a great idea!:D

Cache Maine
08-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Can we bring the Maine EZ-up? And the flag? And the lobster necklaces? And the filter?

hollora
08-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Can we bring the Maine EZ-up? And the flag? And the lobster necklaces? And the filter?

Got an Ez-E-Up - Brad has the flag, haven't got any necklaces and I think it's to late to get any, the filter - well, that would be up to Gary LOL;)

Dave and Gail
08-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Gail and I are hoping to attend again this year, and 6pm at the seadog on Saturday is a definate possibility. Hope to see you all there if we can make it. :D

Team2hunt
08-12-2007, 09:16 PM

You can bring it all. Seadog's at 6PM!

We'll be staying in Bangor Saturday night. Can we all meet somewhere Sunday morning for breakfast before we head over to the coast?

We're going to have a blast! All over again....:) :p :D :cool: :eek: :rolleyes:

Team2hunt
08-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Got an Ez-E-Up - Brad has the flag, haven't got any necklaces and I think it's to late to get any, the filter - well, that would be up to Gary LOL;)

Sure I'll bring it. And my great disposition too! :rolleyes:

" Where the heck is that FILTER! " :eek:

firefighterjake
08-13-2007, 08:18 AM
I got the National and American Folk Festivals mixed up. Not enough coffee I guess. :confused: You're all still invited! :D Thanks Haffy for the correction.

I was thinking too much time spent at the Seadog Tent! ;) :D

firefighterjake
08-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Just kidding! Plus, I seem to remember from some old caches near the waterfront the Harbor Master does not want any caches on the land or shore he is responsible to patrol. With the cruise ships coming in, caching on the Bangor waterfront is probably not a great idea.

Seadog is a great idea!:D

No kidding . . . I never heard about this . . . for real the Harbor Master doesn't want geocachers near there??? That's too bad, I was thinking about placing a cache down there . . . actually I've been thinking about it for some time, but haven't had the time to put one out . . . probably a good thing. Is that where the cannon cache ended up?

Team2hunt
08-13-2007, 08:22 AM
I was thinking too much time spent at the Seadog Tent! ;) :D

Correction FFJ, there are two locations for that purpose. I'll be looking for some of you at the Railroad Stage around noon. Somewhere in the back of the field near the white tent. :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
08-13-2007, 08:24 AM
I may be kicking around Friday evening (depends on my wife's work schedule and who's playing -- I prefer the Celtic groups) . . . and I may make a short apperance on Saturday since I have to work that day -- I'm doing a safety fair at the Hannaford on Union Street (so if folks get overloaded on music, food and fun . . . stop on by between 10 and 2 and I'll make you a balloon animal or give you some fire safety knicknack.) :D

Cache Maine
08-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Sure I'll bring it. And my great disposition too! :rolleyes:

" Where the heck is that FILTER! " :eek:

Looks like you may need to replace the filter.

hollora
08-13-2007, 05:05 PM
No kidding . . . I never heard about this . . . for real the Harbor Master doesn't want geocachers near there??? That's too bad, I was thinking about placing a cache down there . . . actually I've been thinking about it for some time, but haven't had the time to put one out . . . probably a good thing. Is that where the cannon cache ended up?

Yeah Jake, I remember reading that post somewhere in some of the archived cache pages from old caches on the Bangor waterfront. I don't think he was the muggle who took the cannon cache but it did disappear.

My personal experiences with the Harbor Master (if it is the same one who has been there since the National Folk Festival) in relation to mooring issues, use of the showers for those in the harbor on sailboats and the like was less than stellar. I have had the experience of sailing into much busier harbors where we were welcomed with open arms and really treated like they wanted us to return. Not the case in Bangor, we seemed to be an inconvenience.:confused:

Anyway - I think there are a number of nice places on the waterfront which could be used but I would check with the Harbor Master first. Maybe you will have more pull than I did working for the Health Department LOL!:)

firefighterjake
08-14-2007, 07:41 AM
. . .Maybe you will have more pull than I did working for the Health Department LOL!:)

Yeah, that's true . . . I'll just stroll down there in my light blue poly-cotton uniform and tell him that if he doesn't let me place a cache there then I'll, uh, I'll, uh . . . I'll have the FD park our fire boat somewhere else. :rolleyes: :D

tat
08-15-2007, 07:21 AM
... and I'll make you a balloon animal... :D
With Helium!?

firefighterjake
08-15-2007, 07:52 AM
With Helium!?

If there's any helium there I can do it . . . Come one, come all . . . see the Amazing FFJake and his flying balloon dogs! ;) :D

hollora
08-15-2007, 07:27 PM
If there's any helium there I can do it . . . Come one, come all . . . see the Amazing FFJake and his flying balloon dogs! ;) :D

And you will be on Stage #? at what time????:eek:

d76
08-15-2007, 08:01 PM
And you will be on Stage #? at what time????:eek:

Oh Man!!!, what kind of show is that going to be.:D :p :D

hollora
08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Oh Man!!!, what kind of show is that going to be.:D :p :D

Very entertaining and award winning. I'm just not sure what type of award!;)

hollora
08-22-2007, 11:01 PM
meeting at Seadog's around 6PM on Saturday. ..............

But....here is your invitation to come and join us ..............

around noontime and my first stop will be the beer tent at the Main stage. Hope to see you all there.

T2H - and others - like is this a plan? T2H will be there around noontime on Saturday - at the beer tent........and then be looking for others who have posted intentions of attending.

Saturday night the group will meet at Seadog (like where) at 6P? That place will be packed - T2H or anyone else did you make reservations????? Maybe we should meet at the little parking lot next door where the showers are for boaters? Facing the main entranace to Seadog, to the right and on the river side of the parking lot there is a cannon on the edge of the parking lot/walk way - a good place to meet! (Bamhikers used to have a cache there!).

Becka and Amara of Francis Family and I are planning on going. Hope to see some of you there. We will try to meet you wherever anyone picks. T2H - pick it man!

Am not going to try and carry an ez-e-up and move from stage to stage. We will bring our chairs and an umbrella.

I will have my cell and presume others will as well. If I hear it or feel it I will answer. Hope to see a lot of you there. PM me if you don't have the number for my cell.

Team2hunt
08-23-2007, 10:07 AM
All of what you posted is OK with us. Troy is also tagging along. Railroad stage at noon. The easy up could go there and stay there. Like at GW5. We could walk around and leave our stuff there. Meeting place for Seadogs OK too! Brad can you take care of the reservation. You always seem to come through for us there. :)

Kaching Karen
08-23-2007, 12:36 PM
How will Brad know the numbers for the reservation? When should he know for sure. I'm still up in the air. I hope to go to the festival for Saturday only.

Foxgloves
08-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Because we are a couple days away now from the festival maybe we should get a more accurate count for Sea Dogs.

If you could list your name and how many in your party that would probably help if Mainiac is going to make reservations.

Foxgloves (1)
Team2hunt (1)
1Manteam (1)

Thats three so far

Francis Family
08-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Francis Family will be there... well 2 of us!!!! Anyone who's interested... Amara may have one of her coins or her tb with her for discovery if you ask ;)

hollora
08-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Count me in with Francis Family (1 + 1 + baby = 2 1/2). I will put the easy up in the car and we can decide on putting it up when we meet. Noon - railroad stage.

Bring your booklets to discover Amara's things - I don't even have them yet! See you all there.

Cache Maine
08-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Hi guys,

We plan on working in the morning on some IT stuff for the hotels but will head over as soon as we are done. We are going to try to be there for the sea dog thing too....so 2 for us.

Cache Maine (2)

If anyone is into letterboxing, there will be an event stamp "floating" around so bring your stuff. I'll pass on the clue to you AFTER I find it/them. LOL

hollora
08-24-2007, 08:12 AM
7:30AM - Just got a call from Mainiac1957 - the news on reservations for SeaDog = he got laughed at when he called! They are taking NO reservations and doing First Come, First Served all weekend....
.....so, the plan should be to all meet at the old cache location (the cannon by the bathhouse) at 6PM. We can go from there.

Brad said he will have his cell on all weekend. I think most of us will have our cells on - so we can give each other a ring to meet.

As for the Ez-E-Up, that, too, will also be problematic and prediction is we will have to take it down. Bring your chair and an umbrella. That will be a far better plan.

Hope to see lots of you there.

Team2hunt
08-24-2007, 09:07 AM
I have been on vacaction and not near a computer all the time. The plan all sounds good to me. The last time we got together at Seadogs. We waited for the big table in the corner. I will try to be there a few minutes early and stand in line to wait for a table. I will also have my cell on. I'll be bringing walkie talkies too. We can keep in touch over the entire fairgrounds with those. So if you have em bring one. We will figure out a channel when we get there. :)

firefighterjake
08-24-2007, 12:54 PM
.....so, the plan should be to all meet at the old cache location (the cannon by the bathhouse) at 6PM. We can go from there. . .

For those of you with GPSrs . . . and I'm suspecting some of you might have one kicking around. . . .:D

N 44 47.762 W 068 46.201</STRONG>

firefighterjake
08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
. . .
As for the Ez-E-Up, that, too, will also be problematic and prediction is we will have to take it down. Bring your chair and an umbrella. That will be a far better plan.

Hope to see lots of you there.

I was wondering how that would go over with other folks if the EZ-up blocked the view to the stage . . . to say nothing about the pain of putting it up, taking it down, putting it up, taking it down, etc.

hollora
08-24-2007, 06:14 PM
The plan all sounds good to me. The last time we got together at Seadogs. We waited for the big table in the corner. I will try to be there a few minutes early and stand in line to wait for a table. I will also have my cell on. I'll be bringing walkie talkies too. We can keep in touch over the entire fairgrounds with those. So if you have em bring one. We will figure out a channel when we get there. :)

The universal channel for the Geocaching Group is Channel 2 with an alternate of 12. Let's all try to be on 2 if you read this before leaving for the festival. I will bring mine.

Good Idea - Gary!

Hiram357
08-25-2007, 10:44 AM
looks like medifawookie and I are gunna head up there soon... we're gunna try and leave the rainlike clouds down here, hopefully they won't follow us... :D

Mainiac1957
08-26-2007, 06:41 AM
The best part of the festival yesterday was getting together with everybody and hanging out. Good job on the table score Gary! :cool: I may be wrong, but I think there was 19 cachers at the festival that I can count. At least the ones I knew of. We did get a late shower, and it was a bit muggy earlier. For the most part the weather was OK. Lets hope the talent is a little better next year as it has been in the past. See most of you in 2 weeks at the Cache Bashe event.;)

Hiram357
08-26-2007, 09:00 AM
The best part of the festival yesterday was getting together with everybody and hanging out. Good job on the table score Gary! :cool: I may be wrong, but I think there was 19 cachers at the festival that I can count. At least the ones I knew of. We did get a late shower, and it was a bit muggy earlier. For the most part the weather was OK. Lets hope the talent is a little better next year as it has been in the past. See most of you in 2 weeks at the Cache Bashe event.;)

I agree, it was a good time to be had by all (and the beer wasn't that expensive either...) on our way home just north of newport I thought I lost a track bar because the jeep suddenly became near impossible to control, then i realized a car way in front of me havin the same problems (and they weren't driving a jeep...) but then stuff started blowin across the road, it was the wind tossin the jeep around, havin driven through wind like that since we lived in ohio with all the tornados... fun stufff :D

but all in all, it was a great time for our first folk festival experience, it was great to see all of ya, well see ya in a couple weeks! :D

hollora
08-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Love the food, nice music and the company of good friends. The table at SeaDog just proves when a you stick your neck out your might score! I left before the storm started to blow in so I hope those that remained got out before the crowds. Glad to hear Hiram's jeep wasn't falling apart. Looking forward to seeing the gang again soon. Have a great day!

Sudonim
08-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Kim and I timed it just right. On the way home it started getting really windy, we got out of the car and talked with the neighbors for a couple of minutes, then it started raining, hard! Can't imagine it was fun at the railroad stage when that happened.
Great to see everyone, kinda like an impromptu event cache. On the way out we ran into a group of Kim's friends. Turns out that 2 of them are cachers too.

hollora
08-26-2007, 09:11 PM
then it started raining, hard! Can't imagine it was fun at the railroad stage when that happened...............everyone, kinda like an impromptu event cache.......................On the way out we ran into a group of Kim's friends. Turns out that 2 of them are cachers too.

Well, good think I did not realize the Sea Dog event was on your birthday - there would have been some singing!:rolleyes: But that's ok........I did call Brad to warn everyone about the storm as I had heard the havoc on the scanner when I got home.;) He said he was going to mobilize the crew.

Tell Kim to let her friends know about the events on the 8th - the more the merrier! It sure was fun - but no candles for you to blow out.:eek: Maybe next year!:)

Foxgloves
08-27-2007, 01:10 PM
The folk festival was a great time and it was fun to see everybody again. We certainly did have a good turnout of geocachers.