View Full Version : out of state cachers with in state hides

dí76
08-12-2007, 07:05 PM
I would be interested in knowing how the folks here feel about out of state cachers vacationing here in the state placing caches then leaving after vacation is over.

I thought that there was rules about that when it comes to maintaining them.:confused:

Any thoughts would be great.

hollora
08-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I would be interested in knowing how the folks here feel about out of state cachers vacationing here in the state placing caches then leaving after vacation is over.

I thought that there was rules about that when it comes to maintaining them.:confused:

If, now that's a big word!:rolleyes: , the placer has made arrangements with a local or in-state cacher to maintain a cache & it is done in consulation with the that local cacher I guess I am ok with it.:) I just wonder why an instate cacher perhaps hasn't already used the site themseleves?????!!!!!:confused:

Are you referring to some recent caches I have seen and believe have been placed and don't seem to have in-state maintainers?:eek: I wonder if these just slipped by our reviewer. Which, I surely, believe may be the case.

It is my belief our reviewer does really care and if/when a "vacation cache" as I think they are called comes for review and attention indicates it as such, I think he will respond appropriately. Perhaps we should let him know when we see these caches appear. I can understand how these would easily slip by the review process. People travel and they move - who is to say these isn't a cache where folks have moved or are they traveling.

That raises a point that maybe there should be a pointed question in the review process....... like - "Is this placed in your state of residence?" If not, and than have some verification questions which would ensure a plan for maintenance.

Clearly, if you can not maintain the cache or don't have someone local to help - there is an issue. I remember one down around Searsport and haven't looked at that one lately. It was wet, there were some issues and the owner wasn't returning til this summer. Folks found it but......is it up to the finders to do long term care?:confused: There are other vacation caches placed in this state and even one in the Searsport area which have caused no problems.

Great question and I hope this generates some discussion and maybe some ideas on how GC.com might improve the review process.:)

Mainiac1957
08-12-2007, 07:34 PM
However the last time I brought this up with a reviewer, I was slapped down as to mind my own business. What I was told is that most of the time an out of state cacher is allowed to place a vacation cache as long as they have contacted a local to look after it in case it has an issue. That's what i know.

hollora
08-12-2007, 07:47 PM
However the last time I brought this up with a reviewer, I was slapped down as to mind my own business. What I was told is that most of the time an out of state cacher is allowed to place a vacation cache as long as they have contacted a local to look after it in case it has an issue. That's what i know.

Well, maybe we need to be more attentive, as locals, to call attendtion to problems with vacation caches where there are no instate maintainers.

I just suggested maintenance on the North Haven cache and that isn't even a vacaction cache. It has been in trouble for months (first part muggled). Last week I went to Vinalhaven and did a cache which hadn't been found for nearly a year. Owner = out of state, ? in-state maintainer. Fortunately it was ok........a tad damp but nothing that would not have been normal for tupperware which had been under bark and not opened for a year.

Think we in-state folks could write a long list of these caches some being ok and some not so ok. And some of these cachers come for their vacations, never touch or go to their caches, grab bugs from other caches and then - well, some move - some don't.

Guess I just hope when I have visited another state I have done so respectfully, not put a cache out without permisssion or a maintainer and have treated TBs and coins respectfully as well.

Question - how do we change it??? - work with our reviewer, GC.com, as well as the placing cachers on vacation. That is JMO (just my opinion).

Beach Comber
08-12-2007, 08:49 PM
But then again - there are local cachers that don't maintain their caches.

pjpreb
08-12-2007, 08:52 PM
But then again - there are local cachers that don't maintain their caches.

That's true! Also, no matter who the cache owner is, we try to help maintain any cache we find (dry them out, add a log book or pencil - add swag, remove "junk") Cache maintenance belongs to all of us doesn't it?

Haffy
08-12-2007, 08:59 PM
I can't really agree to ALL of us being cache maintainers but I try to do my best when it comes to finding a cache that needs a little TLC. I have emailed GPSfun and have asked him to chime in and explain to us about his approving out of staters placing caches so let's see what he has to say.

I can remember one cache that TRF and myself found one time that was way overdue for some maintenance so we just about replaced the whole cache with new swag and logbook and container, I guess we did replace the whole cache.....lol, and never even got a thank you from the owner.

gpsfun
08-12-2007, 09:06 PM

Please include the cache waypoint number (GC?????) of the cache or caches you find to be of concern.

Thank you.

dí76
08-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for joining the conversation Brad,

The only reason that I brought this up is the cache owner is from Vermont.

Here is the number GC144P7

It may be that the owner has this all squared away. ANd I would be interested in knowing if gc.com does have rules about out of state caches?

I am not complaining just thinking about cache maintaince in the future.

Thanks again Brad

gpsfun
08-12-2007, 09:17 PM

I'm not sure I understand how explaining to you that a cache placed by someone outside their normal geocaching range can be published if a local person has been engaged to handle maintenance issues in their absence can be considered as being "slapped down" and I'm sorry you felt bad about the answer.

The relevant guideline section can be found here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#maint

Often maintenance plans are noted on the cache page in reviewer notes which are archived at the time a cache page is published. However the information remains available to reviewers and site administrators.

dí76
08-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks BRad, I maintain a cache for some one out of state and was added to the cache page as someone they can contact if there is maintance that needs to be done. I like it done that way.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f5e42846-257d-401e-92e6-7b4d8c86490c

This way everyone knows that it can be taken care of.

gpsfun
08-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for joining the conversation Brad,

The only reason that I brought this up is the cache owner is from Vermont.

Here is the number GC144P7

It may be that the owner has this all squared away. ANd I would be interested in knowing if gc.com does have rules about out of state caches?

I am not complaining just thinking about cache maintaince in the future.

Thanks again Brad

The owner of that cache has arranged for a Maine-based experienced geocacher to handle any maintenance issues that might arise.

dí76
08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
The owner of that cache has arranged for a Maine-based experienced geocacher to handle any maintenance issues that might arise.

Thank you.

It always helps to know that someone will take care of the cache and not just let it become geolitter.

brdad
08-13-2007, 05:29 AM
I go back and forth on this subject, but when I look back at it many of these vacation caches are better maintained than some placed by locals and many of them are better caches than those placed by locals. I've decided distance from a cache has less bearing on maintenance and quality of caches than common sense does, and gc.com has no way of regulating common sense.

If it was my world to rule, I would more likely only allow paying members place caches and only allow a maximum of 10 or 15 caches per account - maybe 20. If they want to hide more they can pay $30 for another account. Aren't you glad I don't rule the world?

WhereRWe?
08-13-2007, 06:26 AM
Thanks BRad, I maintain a cache for some one out of state and was added to the cache page as someone they can contact if there is maintance that needs to be done. I like it done that way.

This way everyone knows that it can be taken care of.

I maintain one also (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7538ca0a-51e9-44ea-acb7-c26da704d885), and it has just been enabled after being disabled (and destroyed by spring snowmelt).

:D :D

WhereRWe?
08-13-2007, 06:36 AM
If it was my world to rule, I would more likely only allow paying members place caches and only allow a maximum of 10 or 15 caches per account - maybe 20. If they want to hide more they can pay $30 for another account. Aren't you glad I don't rule the world?

What??? You mean you don't want Hiram and me to place the "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" series that we have planned? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lets see...

We have:

Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
101 Dalmations
52 Pickup
365 Days of Christmas
Goldilocks & the Three Bears
The Brady Bunch
Sesame Street
"Baseball Anyone" (How many baseball teams are there, anyway?)
16 Counties in Maine
88 Piano Keys

Sheesh!

gpsfun
08-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Everyone can play a role in keeping the quality level of active geocaches in your area high. First, don't be reluctant to post a "needs maintenance" log on the cache page if you find one that, er, needs maintenance. The note can be written using respectful language to minimize the possibility of angering the cache owner. Needs maintenance logs go to the cache owner and to anyone who has the cache page on their watch list or bookmark list.

Second, if you search for a cache that has a string of DNF logs and you find it to be gone, write a "needs archived" log. Also write a needs archived note if the cache appears to have been abandoned by the owner or if you believe Groundspeak's volunteer reviewer (that's me) should become involved for some reason. Needs archived logs are automatically sent to the reviewers and we will contact the cache owner to request them to fix or archive the cache.

A third approach is to use peer-to peer-conversation to let another geocacher know how his or her caches are perceived. Here again, use of a respectful and helpful tone works much better than bluntly telling someone that their baby is ugly.

From time to time I perform a PQ to obtain a list of inactive caches and work through the list on a time-available basis. Each situation is different, but generally I'll contact cache owners if their cache has been inactive for six weeks or more and ask them what they plan to do about it. Right now I'm part way through the Maine list.

I understand brdad's point, but here again each situation is different. There are cache owners with very large numbers of caches out there who may have one or two marked inactive for short periods, and there are other cache owners whose few caches would be better placed in landfills.

Returning to something from the OP, if you want to raise an issue about a cache, please include the waypoint number. Firing off generalities usually leads to endless speculation with no real results.

firefighterjake
08-13-2007, 08:32 AM
For me personally (and it's just me and my caches) I limit my caches to areas where I know I could go to and check for problems that day if need be . . . which tends to be in the city where I work and in the town (and surrounding towns) where I live.

If someone has made arrangements to have a local cacher maintain their cache if need be, I would have no problem with that fact. Again, only my opinion.

firefighterjake
08-13-2007, 08:34 AM
. . .

I'm thinking if this were the case there would be not so many caches to find . . . and I'm talking quality caches as well.

Beach Comber
08-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Aren't you glad I don't rule the world?

Yes, 'cause you would make me get your coffee for you too!

Foxgloves
08-13-2007, 10:21 AM
....use of a respectful and helpful tone works much better than bluntly telling someone that their baby is ugly.
Do people actually do that? :eek: Now THAT is just wrong! :( :rolleyes:

I am one of those people who has a cache out of state....:o I adopted a cache in NH this spring that had been neglected. Although I live in VT, I work in NH and spend a good portion of my waking hours in NH (its like a 2nd home to me)so I wrote to the cache owner and asked if I could adopt his cache. He had gotten out of geocaching and was happy to allow me to adopt the cache. Its a beautiful hike and I hated to see it archived. I turned it into a log only cache and used a waterproof Otterbox type container so its virtually maintenace free. I have no problem hiking up there to maintain it if I have to.

Foxgloves
08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
......If it was my world to rule, I would more likely only allow paying members place caches and only allow a maximum of 10 or 15 caches per account - maybe 20.

Now that is not such a bad idea...
I think often times when a cacher places too many caches, it becomes a burden for them to maintain them all...which leads to neglected caches.

Putting a few rules in place would help control the number of "new geocachers" (nothing against newbies ) that start out finding 3 caches decide to place 5 and then are never seen again.

Although I know not everyone wants to be a paying member on GC.com it definitely has its benefits. If you are at all serious about getting into geocaching and plan to stick to it,the $30 membership is worth its every cent. The pocket queries alone are worth it.