View Full Version : Gulf Hagas hike

Mainiac1957
08-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I am going to be hiking Gulf Hagas this coming weekend. The group I am going with has a campsite reserved at the Hermatage. I think for both Friday and Saturday nights. If anyone would like to come and hike only that would be fine too. You will have to pay the gate fee at KI which is 5 or 6 dollars per person. If you have never been then it is truly worth the trip. There is not a huge elevation gain, but we are planning on about 10 miles on Saturday. 5 miles up and 5 back. This is so a few Boy Scouts can count it towards there merit badges in hiking. Post here or PM if you have any interest. Also there is a great cache to do up there. "Gorge"ous
(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2a50f91a-b5da-4a19-9482-4b9717bc2bdf)by Dave 1976. The weather is looking very nice for now. Let me know.

Haffy
08-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Man I wish I was there Brad to do the hike with you. It was probably one of my most favorite hikes and the company I was with wasn't too bad either...;) Just make sure to hang on to your GPS real tight....:D

Hiram357
08-13-2007, 05:45 PM
I've been wanting to do this one for a long time, but next weekend won't work for me... :(

lemme know if ya don't go and end up rescheduling

Mainiac1957
08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
I've been wanting to do this one for a long time, but next weekend won't work for me... :(

Most likely won't be rescheduled, sorry Aaron.:(

pjpreb
08-13-2007, 08:35 PM
We're staying at Peaks Kenney State Park this coming weekend and are planning on doing "Gorge"ous (and several others in that area). We have Dixie and Kim with us so we are pretty limited as to how much hiking we can do. When is the hike?

Team2hunt
08-13-2007, 09:39 PM

I was part of the hike last year. It was a perfect day and a great hike. I have a couple of weekends open in September. Just in time for the foliage. A Sat/Sun with camping would suit me just fine. :D

attroll
08-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Brad where are you getting 10 miles. To the cache is just under 2.5 miles one way. The whole loop trail is only 5.2 mile from the parking lot round trip. Are you planning on adding some extra miles to the trip. I am just curious because I am free this weekend (so far) and if I do not go backpacking or off on my own hike then I might be interested.

firefighterjake
08-14-2007, 07:43 AM
I am going to be hiking Gulf Hagas this coming weekend. The group I am going with has a campsite reserved at the Hermatage. I think for both Friday and Saturday nights. If anyone would like to come and hike only that would be fine too. You will have to pay the gate fee at KI which is 5 or 6 dollars per person. If you have never been then it is truly worth the trip. There is not a huge elevation gain, but we are planning on about 10 miles on Saturday. 5 miles up and 5 back. This is so a few Boy Scouts can count it towards there merit badges in hiking. Post here or PM if you have any interest. Also there is a great cache to do up there. "Gorge"ous
(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2a50f91a-b5da-4a19-9482-4b9717bc2bdf)by Dave 1976. The weather is looking very nice for now. Let me know.

When you mentioned this to me at the TL 2007 event I had a feeling there was something going on this weekend . . . and I was right . . . I'm doing a Club ATV ride to Grand Lake Stream from the Airline Snack Bar (and hopefully grabbing a cache in Grand Lake Stream at the same time.) Thanks for the offer though.

Haffy
08-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Don't know where you got your info about the trail length Rick but every link I tried for Gulf hagas says the whole loop trail is over 8 miles in length from the Pleasant River parking area.

Hiram357
08-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Just wonderin... are there places to camp along the trail? or are you going someplace else to camp?

Mainiac1957
08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
There are sites available at Hay Brook. Already have one reserved for Friday and Saturday nights. Yes the full loop is about 8 miles so I'm not sure how this is going to work for the 10 needed for merit badges. Anyone wanting only to do the cache it's about a 4.5 mile trek.

d’76
08-14-2007, 06:36 PM
There are sites available at Hay Brook. Already have one reserved for Friday and Saturday nights. Yes the full loop is about 8 miles so I'm not sure how this is going to work for the 10 needed for merit badges. Anyone wanting only to do the cache it's about a 4.5 mile trek.

I bet you could use a few of the cross over trails to get the other two miles.

Or you could walk up the road a mile and beack to finish it off.:D

pjpreb
08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
The plan is to make this our 500th cache - wish us luck! I think we may end up doing this one on Sunday since Saturday will be a travel & camp set-up day.

Mainiac1957
08-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Hey guys, If you do come up maybe we'll run into you.

pjpreb
08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey guys, If you do come up maybe we'll run into you.

I'll be sure to wear my helmet :D

Hiram357
08-14-2007, 09:42 PM

Do you have to rent the sites? (because if it's anything like reserving sites at omaha beach, i would be very cautious about where i was planning to sleep...)

attroll
08-15-2007, 12:00 AM
I was looking at the map wrong.
The Gulf Hagas Loop trail from the Appalachian Trail is 5.2 mile.
From West Branch parking it is 8.2 miles.
From Hay Brook Parking it is 8.8 miles.
I bet if you took the Gulf Hagas Cut-off trail it would add the extra miles you needed for the scout badge.

I have attached two maps.

firefighterjake
08-15-2007, 07:47 AM

Just go around a second time and make it a 16-mile hike. ;) :D

firefighterjake
08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
The plan is to make this our 500th cache - wish us luck! I think we may end up doing this one on Sunday since Saturday will be a travel & camp set-up day.

Good luck . . . if you've never been to Gulf Hagas you're in for a real treat. Truly one of the most beautiful hikes in Maine . . . I went several years back in my pre-caching days . . . one of these days I've got to get back there and find Dave's cache.

Mainiac1957
08-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Do you have to rent the sites? (because if it's anything like reserving sites at omaha beach, i would be very cautious about where i was planning to sleep...)

Camping in the North Maine Woods is $7 per person per night. Yes you can make reservation I guess. These were made by someone else. I know that many are first come first served.

pjpreb
08-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Good luck . . . if you've never been to Gulf Hagas you're in for a real treat. Truly one of the most beautiful hikes in Maine . . . I went several years back in my pre-caching days . . . one of these days I've got to get back there and find Dave's cache.

You were so right Firefighterjake! We had the best time and managed to grab our 500th cache to boot. Posted pics to the gallery today. Msteelee introduced us to caching so it was really great to hike that one with her and Brdad. We figured we did 6 miles in 6 hours. We'd do that hike again any time - it truly was beautiful!

Haffy
08-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Great pics PJ and I remember all those locations as well. Looks like the water was very low. It was almost knee high when we went and boy was it ever cold too....brrrrrrrrr.