View Full Version : Wheelin' in Western Mass

The G Team
08-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Went down to a NAXJA (North American XJ Assn.) trail run in Western Ma. this weekend. Here's a video of what they consider an "easy" trail ride (we are first on the big rock face):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lMosjNcK2I

The video does not do the rock face we are climbing justice--all you could see is sky, and going too far on either side would result in a flop. Watch the stock Rubi go up for a better perspective of the steepness, and watch our front lockers do their job.

We had a great time and the Jeep performed admirably, although the small tire were certainly a hinderance.

Hiram357
08-13-2007, 08:51 PM
man, that looked like fun, you should've posted it as an event!!

good to see ya made it out ok, like I always say, any ride you drive away from is a good ride. :D

firefighterjake
08-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Cool video . . . although I have to say that I'm pretty glad that our Tread Lightly events aren't this extreme since I have to use my vehicle as a daily driver and risking major damage wouldn't make me (or Heidi) very happy.

I did get a kick out of the Rubicon . . . looked relatively new and I cringed everytime I heard it scraping . . . I think getting an older vehicle and modding it would be the thing to do if you wanted to get into this as a hobby.

Incidentally Mike are you familiar with the Western Maine Jeeping Association (or something to that effect)? I believe they're doing an event at the end of this month . . . or maybe it's the next month . . . one of my Assistant Chiefs is a member and die-hard Jeeper . . . he's got something like four or five different types and even bought some land out in Dixfield where he has built trails to ride on with others.

The G Team
08-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Cool video . . . although I have to say that I'm pretty glad that our Tread Lightly events aren't this extreme since I have to use my vehicle as a daily driver and risking major damage wouldn't make me (or Heidi) very happy.

I did get a kick out of the Rubicon . . . looked relatively new and I cringed everytime I heard it scraping . . . I think getting an older vehicle and modding it would be the thing to do if you wanted to get into this as a hobby.

Incidentally Mike are you familiar with the Western Maine Jeeping Association (or something to that effect)? I believe they're doing an event at the end of this month . . . or maybe it's the next month . . . one of my Assistant Chiefs is a member and die-hard Jeeper . . . he's got something like four or five different types and even bought some land out in Dixfield where he has built trails to ride on with others.

Ha ha--this was the "easy" trail. We decided we'd had enough and took the rest of the day off sightseeing then headed back to camp.

That Rubi was brand new--first trail ride--it wasn't quite so new after the run.

I'm not sure about Mass clubs, but here is a link to one that one of the NAXJA members is also a member of (and invited us to a labor day run):
http://www.berkshire4wheelers.org/

There is a new ORV park opening up in the Lewiston area. I hope to be able to check it out--that might be nice for an ORCA event.

The G Team
08-14-2007, 09:08 AM
man, that looked like fun, you should've posted it as an event!!

good to see ya made it out ok, like I always say, any ride you drive away from is a good ride. :D

It was a challange! I would have posted it, but the final decision to go was made at the last minute. Man, I would hate to break something important on a trail like that--I don't know how you'd get back. When the front tires were up in the air and the skinny pedal was on the floor, I never once regretted putting the money into the axles and lockers.

As I mentioned to Jake, there is an ORV park opening up in the Lewiston area that we should check out for a possible event.

Hiram357
08-14-2007, 02:14 PM
As I mentioned to Jake, there is an ORV park opening up in the Lewiston area that we should check out for a possible event.

lemme know when and where, and we can go down and check it out

firefighterjake
08-14-2007, 03:07 PM
lemme know when and where, and we can go down and check it out

. . . and break stuff on our Jeeps. ;) :D

Hiram357
08-14-2007, 04:33 PM
. . . and break stuff on our Jeeps. ;) :D

and winch out the toyotas... :p

firefighterjake
08-15-2007, 07:51 AM
and winch out the toyotas... :p

:D . . . although I don't think my Toyota has been winched anywhere yet . . . of course I'm not doing the type of stuff that Mike posted either!