View Full Version : Mining with kids..Help

FuddsGirls
08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I am looking for places that we can take the kids that is mining friendly. My girls are rockhounds and can sit and smash them with a hammer for hours. I did find one place, Mt Apitite in Auburn, that actually encourages you to bring hammers and goggles and things to collect rocks and crystals. All the other places I've found are stste parks and you are not supposed to remove anything from them. Anyone have and secret place you know of. Even a small fee would be ok. Thanks

WhereRWe?
08-16-2007, 10:30 AM
I am looking for places that we can take the kids that is mining friendly. My girls are rockhounds and can sit and smash them with a hammer for hours. I did find one place, Mt Apitite in Auburn, that actually encourages you to bring hammers and goggles and things to collect rocks and crystals. All the other places I've found are stste parks and you are not supposed to remove anything from them. Anyone have and secret place you know of. Even a small fee would be ok. Thanks

Ye Old Prospector would know where - but he probably won't reveal his own secret places! LOL!

And this article by Wendy Almeida (http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/children/0606gemhunting.shtml) - who has done several articles on geocaching - should give you some pointers.

Hiram357
08-16-2007, 02:53 PM
If you're ever up towards buckport you should stop at the "crack a geode" place, it's right after the big bridge. I don't think there's any mining, I think it's more of a, you buy a rock, you smash the rock, you take smashed rock home, kind of operation.

Zoltarus
08-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Since most mines are privately owned there are not a lot of other options (besides the Maine Mineral Park you mentioned).

There are several mineral clubs in maine that travel to various mines. If you pay a small fee you can "join the club" on their field trips. The cost of joining is about the same as most "tourist mining sites "charge for one visit.

Zol

hollora
08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
When I was a kid I remember a counselor at Camp Hersey Retreat in Stockton smashing rocks and finding beautiful purple crystals. It is a fond childhood memory. There is a public beach in Stockton which runs to the point and there is also remanents of an old wharf and a cache location. Maybe that would be a site to check out.

FuddsGirls
08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Ye Old Prospector would know where - but he probably won't reveal his own secret places! LOL!

And this article by Wendy Almeida (http://outdoors.mainetoday.com/children/0606gemhunting.shtml) - who has done several articles on geocaching - should give you some pointers.

My google searching came up with this article, that's where I got the info I did. Thanks though. YOP huh? Haven't heard from him lately....

WhereRWe?
08-16-2007, 05:11 PM
My google searching came up with this article, that's where I got the info I did. Thanks though. YOP huh? Haven't heard from him lately....

I've noticed that YOP has been lurking here occasionally, so he may speak up! LOL!

But I know that several mines allow the public in for a fee, as I have friends who have done it. But I don't remember the name of the mine or the town, and they don't seem to be home today. :( :(

Haffy
08-16-2007, 05:32 PM
What's the name of that cache of Kacky's that is located near that Garnet mine? I broke a few rocks in that one myself when I was there caching.

team teebow
08-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Deb,

Go to the Highlands here in Topsham. If you turn right at the golf club house and drive in the direction of the CREA (Cathance River Education Alliance) you drive right by the old quarries and if you go on the weekend or after work hours there are no construction equipment moving around. They have been doing some new blasting in there and have exposed bunches of new rocks. There have been lots of people in there picking them over so you may have to fight for a spot.

Tom

Team2hunt
08-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Ham and Weeks Mine GC79A8 It's on a back road in New Hampshire. Not far...but it's a cool place to venture and break a few rocks. There were two people there the day I found the cache.

Hope this helps.

teamdozer12
08-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Ham and Weeks Mine GC79A8 It's on a back road in New Hampshire. Not far...but it's a cool place to venture and break a few rocks. There were two people there the day I found the cache.

Hope this helps.

Yes!! That is the one I was trying to think of! Beautiful area! My kids had a blast here! MANY rocks! They didn't even care about finding the cahce, they were content playing in their new found 'fortune'!! :D

FuddsGirls
08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Too many replies to quote. T2H, I'll look that one up.. Haffy, I take the kids to a great place in Ct for garnets but thanks, that was an option, Fudd and I found that cache... Cheryl, we've been there after geocaching just for rock hunting and its a great place. More investigation to do but we haven't done Mt Apatite yet so there's a start. We might have to look into those clubs that Zoltarus has mentioned. Do you know how bummed I'd be if I didn't get a geod in Bucksport Hiram?

team teebow
08-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Too many replies to quote. T2H, I'll look that one up.. Haffy, I take the kids to a great place in Ct for garnets but thanks, that was an option, Fudd and I found that cache... Cheryl, we've been there after geocaching just for rock hunting and its a great place. More investigation to do but we haven't done Mt Apatite yet so there's a start. We might have to look into those clubs that Zoltarus has mentioned. Do you know how bummed I'd be if I didn't get a geod in Bucksport Hiram?

Thanks for thanking me but it was Tom who replied to your request. LOL You can find many garnets up in the Highlands area. Don't get me started on rocks...our house has rocks everywhere. Some people don't understand the appreciation of a nice looking rock. :D

team moxiepup
08-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Kacky's cache is It's the Pitts GCWVGQ. We did this one and just before getting to the cache is a small pit. We did a break a few rocks to look for treasure. Mind you ... not being rock hounds... we looked for the shining parts ;) and brought home a bunch of rocks:D

caro
08-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Maine geological survey has some pamphlets on mining in Maine, some information is downloadable. There is also a book about gold in Maine.
There is a gem shop in Winthrop that's sometimes open, he has a sluice and a font of information.
Seems there are some old articles mentioned in the maine geological survey that you might be able to get from the state library which is next to the Msine state museum which has free admission for a few days. Pretty vague information I know, but the info is out there.

Rydnfree
08-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Perhams in W. Paris will let you go in and mine for amethyst.
here's the website ,info about the quarry is at the bottom of the page

http://homepage.mac.com/rasprague/PegShop/perham.html

FuddsGirls
08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Perhams in W. Paris will let you go in and mine for amethyst.
here's the website ,info about the quarry is at the bottom of the page

http://homepage.mac.com/rasprague/PegShop/perham.html

Thanks so much, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I am planning on taking the kids next week and will let you know what we find.

Team2hunt
08-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks so much, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I am planning on taking the kids next week and will let you know what we find.

Sure you will...........:rolleyes:

darterkitfox
08-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Tammenin mine on Richardson Hollow road off the Greenwood road in Greenwood used to allow it. I haven't been there in years though.

FuddsGirls
08-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Sure you will...........:rolleyes:
Ha... I have Fudd post the results of our outing for me, just for you:D

FuddsGirls
08-29-2007, 07:03 AM
We ended up going to Auburn, Mt Apetite, yesterday. After 850 mile on the motorcycles this past week and the kids just got back from Jackman, a longer ride to West Paris was too much. On our way up the hill to the quarry we ran into a man who stopped and chatted, showed and gave the kids a couple of samples and told us where to go. We brought gloves but didn't wear them and did get little razor type cuts. We came home with some different quartz, black and green tourmaline, garnet and micca, and some kind dull black mineral. We might go again in the fall when the sun beating on all that white rock isn't so hot. The best part for my 8 year old was catching frogs.

hide_from_the_kids
09-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Over towards Mechanic Falls/Minot there are some mines that have caches . . . if I wasn't on dial up I would link them (maybe when I get home later) :)

Also, in West Paris there are the Perham mines. You can stop right at Perham's in West Paris and get a map (I believe it costs a couple of dollars). Several of the mines are free, several cost a couple bucks each.

Macmo
09-07-2007, 07:08 AM
I was reading this thread and then went over to the Geological Society of Maine's web site and was saddened to see that D.W. Caldwell had died. Although I did not personally know Dr. Caldwell, I have admired his book (I gave it to my parents, but have since reclaimed it) and thought it should be in the hands of every Maine geocacher who has any interest in Maine Geology.

I have referred to it many a time after returning from a cache to gain a better understanding of the geological formation of the area. In addition to all the geological information, it is also packed with all sorts of little known facts about the state and can unlock lots of secrets.

I am sure its available at various libraries around the state and most of the bigger book stores have it in their Maine collection.

I will provide the Amazon link, but you can find it anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Roadside-Geology-Maine/dp/0878423753