View Full Version : RE: Camp Site Questions

firefighterjake
08-20-2007, 12:14 PM
This past weekend I rode the ATV from the Airline Snack Bar on Rt. 9 to Grand Lake Stream (and in the process managed to grab a cache along the way making this a Two-Fer Deal -- geocaching and ATVing in one outing).

However, I was a bit surprised to see that folks were still camping at Lower Sabao since the last time I was through here I was told that they were shutting down this site . . . which is too bad since it is a nice, rustic place to camp and it seemed very quiet. However, as I stated, folks were still here and camping . . . does anyone know if this is still a "legal" camping area as I may be interested in going back at some point.

My second surprise was to see that the Deer Lake camping area was either closed completely or changed dramatically. In the past when I've ridden through I could tell that this was a definite redneck party place . . . lots of RVs, trailers, ATVs, boats and beer . . . not really the type of place you'd go with the family for a quiet weekend away . . . this time around the entrance on one side was gated and there were signs in some areas saying there was no camping . . . although there were still rock rings, picnic tables and a few campers (the quiet sort of folks though) in a few spots closer to the water. Is Deer Lake still a campsite . . . only cleaned up? Again, just curious . . . for the record if DL is still a campsite it has definitely been improved.

d’76
08-20-2007, 03:57 PM
The deer lake campsites are still active however have undergone a drastic change. As far as I know there is no gossip to close these camp sites, and yes this is not a place to take your kids or look for a quiet get away. This is a place the kids go to get hammered and experiment with other substances and not have to worry about their folks finding them. Been there a few times but never to spend the night. Always the same crowd doing the same thing.

You may be able to get there in the spring or late fall for some relaxing camping but I wouldnt count on it.

:)

firefighterjake
08-20-2007, 03:58 PM
The deer lake campsites are still active however have undergone a drastic change. As far as I know there is no gossip to close these camp sites, and yes this is not a place to take your kids or look for a quiet get away. This is a place the kids go to get hammered and experiment with other substances and not have to worry about their folks finding them. Been there a few times but never to spend the night. Always the same crowd doing the same thing.

You may be able to get there in the spring or late fall for some relaxing camping but I wouldnt count on it.

:)

Huh . . . when we came through this time around I think there were two, maybe three, tents set up and it seemed to be the low-key sort of folks camping . . . very unlike last year's experience where it was just the opposite.

d’76
08-20-2007, 04:43 PM
It was a cold weekend. Maybe that could explain it.:D

Francis Family
08-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Jake: Big brother Dave will probably know about the Lower Sabao camping area as he is (in my opinion) quite the guru about these type areas... he is still in Hawaii but will be back this week. Get a hold of him and he can most likely answer your question.

tat
08-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Last year I was at Deer Lake and someone told me that was going to be the last weekend of camping. Of course, there is no law out there, so I guess anything still goes. Sure hope we don't loose more of these car/camp spots.

Haffy
08-21-2007, 04:40 PM
As long as people keep on being disrespectful towards the land and leave their litter and all kinds of other junk behind then it is just the inevitable. Unfortunately it only takes one or two to spoil it for the rest of us.

WhereRWe?
08-21-2007, 04:50 PM
As long as people keep on being disrespectful towards the land and leave their litter and all kinds of other junk behind then it is just the inevitable. Unfortunately it only takes one or two to spoil it for the rest of us.

Good point! RULOST2? and I were out on paper company lands to day and were distressed to note that almost every sign had bullet holes in them. Like biting the hand that feeds you, as they old timers say.

And speaking of litter, Haffy, South Carolina sure is a lot different from Maine, isn't it! LOL! :eek: :eek:

Haffy
08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Sure is,too bad there is no bottle bill around here and I must say that the litter problem is much worse here than Maine ever thought of being. Plus the billboards really distract from everything as well. There are tons of CITO events it seems every month so at least I can say the geocachers down here care at least.

WhereRWe?
08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
There are tons of CITO events it seems every month so at least I can say the geocachers down here care at least.

Sheesh! I'd bet that down there, a CITO event means you have to take your empty beer cans home with you! LOL!