View Full Version : 2008 Event in Eustis

kayaking loon
08-24-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm planning to have an event in Eustis late summer-early fall next year, 2008. So this is just a first request for opinions. TeamRichards has already volunteered to help and there are a couple of new cachers in this area and hopefully, more starting soon. So..... I'm willing to rent the Community Building for a day. We could have a potluck (and other indoor events in case of rain). I could also rent a group campsite across from Cathedral Pines Campground, or a two unit site in the campground. I know lots of single unit sites out in the woods, for free. August might be warmer, although we've already had one frost! Late September would bring some foliage. And weather permitting, there are ATV trails for many miles, the lake for kayaying and swimming (hey, I swam once on November 1st and I'm OLD). Mountains to climb, caches to find. So when and what? Opinions please. Helpful hints on what to do, especially for children, would be welcome. Who and how many would come?? :confused:

Team2hunt
08-24-2007, 09:11 AM
I think camping woud be the last consideration for time of year. Those of us who camp out regularly, ( sounds odd that I am saying that ) stop laughing KK! We would camp out no matter what time of year. The Fall foliage and cooler temps for hiking would be better for us. A Saturday would also we welcomed since we have to travel from So.Maine. But yes....we would come to the event. WOOHOO! :) :D

we3beans
08-24-2007, 09:49 AM
We're in...inlaws live in Stratton so we won't need accomodations.

kayaking loon
08-24-2007, 12:29 PM
For those who don't camp, we also have four motels in town, a diner and two restaurants. Not quite the 100 mile wilderness like firefighterjake thought.

:D

firefighterjake
08-24-2007, 12:48 PM
For those who don't camp, we also have four motels in town, a diner and two restaurants. Not quite the 100 mile wilderness like firefighterjake thought.

Don't plan anything around me . . . I don't do events as a rule . . . but I can vouch that Eustis was a great place to cache and would more than likely be a great place to camp or to hold an event.

Kaching Karen
08-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Those of us who camp out regularly, ( sounds odd that I am saying that ) stop laughing KK! We would camp out no matter what time of year.

I'm not laughing! I'm proud of you.... I think I have a winter camping convert on my hands. Yahoo!

hollora
08-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Depending on the date this might work for me.

Those who tent or camp should pitch in and help you with camping fees - don't feel you have to pay for this all alone. TAT's upon coming event is $3 per tent for Warren Island at the State Park group site.

Since I don't have young kids caching (that do any more than ride in the sling), I will leave those ideas to others. Pot luck is always good. Do you have a turkey frier? That would be fun and yummie.

Thanks for your efforts on this one.

Hiram357
08-24-2007, 09:24 PM
how bout a winter campout up there?!?!?! Maybe FFJ would come if he could sled to the event... I would definitly be in for a campout even up there no matter what time of the year.

kayaking loon
08-25-2007, 07:49 AM
Cathedral Pines Campground closes October 1st, so I think late September would be best. It would be on a Saturday, probably September 27, 2008. And no, Hollora, I don't have a turkey frier. For those who want to stay all winter, bring a snowplow and I can show you lots of good, free places to camp!

Mainiac1957
08-25-2007, 09:04 AM
I'll put that date in my calender. If you have it I will show up. And hopefully bring some others along too.Thanks Jean

hollora
08-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Well, I have a frier so if I make it maybe I can bring it. It is exciting to put this on the calendar so far ahead.

Rydnfree
08-25-2007, 01:46 PM
I have a fryer also,and I love camping at Cathedral Pines,let me know when you have a date and I'll see if we can make it

darterkitfox
08-29-2007, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't mind coming up again but don't make me climb up to View of the Lake again!

hollora
08-29-2007, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't mind coming up again but don't make me climb up to View of the Lake again!

The places we choose to climb are totally our choice. The trail usually leads in both directions and you can always turn around.;)

Like the cache - Are you "Feeling A Little Peaked"..........was a real challenge for me but I chose to take it on and am happy I did! A beautiful day with my son and a challenge to make me feel my age, sweat, pant, groan, have to take my time, see a beautiful view and place and then feel good about my accomplishment.:D

Have done a number of these I would never do again but several I would sweat through again with great friends and family. Thanks for warning me to carefully read that cache description before I go up to an event.

kayaking loon
09-01-2007, 04:33 PM
I made some progress today on my 2008 Get Useless In Eustis First Annual Cache Event (or whatever I decide to call it). It will be on September 27, 2008 (a Saturday). I reserved the almost new Community Building for that day. It's big, has two sets of restrooms, a kitchen with 2 electric stoves, two refrigerators, lots of sinks, coffee pots, table, chairs... even a stage. I thought someone might want the stage to demonstrate how to make a new Jeep out of old parts.:p And if the weather should be cold or rainy it would be a nice place to get warm and talk. We can have a TB/coin swap and maybe a silent auction to benefit the geocachingmaine website. Whatever. I can furnish some door prizes. And of course, a potluck dinner early evening.

I also reserved the two group campsites at Cathedral Pines Campgound, across the street from the main part. Very private and you get the use of all campground facilities, beaches, picnic area, canoes, kayaks, hot showers, flush toilets etc. The group sites have picnic tables, fireplaces and Porta-potties. And I reserved one waterfront site, # 64, in the main part of the campground that will hold two rigs with 3-way hookups. We'll decide later who gets that one. There will be a full moon two days later so whoever gets that site may need to invite everyone for a campfire and a moon watch. The website for the campground is http://www.eustismaine.com/Pines.

Now all we need is good weather. Who's in charge of that, Hiram?

Any suggestions for what to do will be welcomed. There are plenty of caches to find, mountains to climb, lakes to kayak....

Haffy
09-01-2007, 04:54 PM
WOW!!! sounds like that will be some kind of event,wish I could be there but one never knows....

WhereRWe?
09-01-2007, 05:42 PM
RULOST2? and I were just talking...

She might just "call in" that weekend, and we can spend a couple of days with the pop-up camper. Close enough so that we can make a day trip to Sherbrooke, Quebec and grab a few of their caches. We've been caching there several times, but new caches keep showing up! LOL!

kayaking loon
09-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Forgot to say. I'm paying for the Community Building rent and the campsites so all of that is free to anyone who comes. And I'm happy to do it! :D

WhereRWe?
09-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Forgot to say. I'm paying for the Community Building rent and the campsites so all of that is free to anyone who comes. And I'm happy to do it! :D

Oh, I forgot to ask... Do the sites have cable TV and wireless internet? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hollora
09-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Wow - this sounds like it sure is shaping up. Are the campground sites reserved for Friday and Saturday night or just Saturday?

Mainiac1957 has had some good control over the weather in the past so perhaps we should make sure he has this on his calendar.

Thanks for all this advance planning. It is on my calendar!

kayaking loon
09-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Oh, I forgot to ask... Do the sites have cable TV and wireless internet? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gee, I don't think so....:( Maybe I could arrange for a moose or two for entertainment? We have two computers at our house if anyone wants to use them to log their cache finds, check their mail etc. And there is a public computer in the library next to the Community Building..... So sorry!
:p

kayaking loon
09-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Wow - this sounds like it sure is shaping up. Are the campground sites reserved for Friday and Saturday night or just Saturday?

Mainiac1957 has had some good control over the weather in the past so perhaps we should make sure he has this on his calendar.

Thanks for all this advance planning. It is on my calendar!

I reserved for just Saturday night but would be happy to reserve one or more of the spaces for Friday night if anyone plans to come then. The campground isn't too busy that time of year so making last minute changes isn't much of a problem. Just let me know next year, closer to the time. My neighbor works in the office so I have a "hot-line" to reservations.

Brad, can you take care of the weather for me? Full moon, clear, cool but not too cold..... Thanks! :D

Mainiac1957
09-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Myself, Quilting Mom & Mike, and our friends Nick~Maccache have our two sites reserved for the whole weekend next year at the campground for the event. Jean I love the name, go for it!!;)

hollora
09-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Myself, Quilting Mom & Mike, and our friends Nick~Maccache have our two sites reserved for the whole weekend next year at the campground for the event. Jean I love the name, go for it!!;)

Sounds like a fun event. The name - name it, they will come! LOL Maybe I should try to make some of the Fry Bread from that recipe. I haven't tried to do it yet but sure can do.

That's a long way off but hope to be there.