View Full Version : Friend Requests

kayaking loon
08-26-2007, 07:35 AM
What's this about the new feature on the geocaching site, "friend requests"? First I thought I had no "friends", then I got a request from someone who started caching yesterday and I was stuck for an answer. How do I know I want to be his "friend"? Maybe he's a really nice person. Maybe he's a mass murderer (but I doubt it). Anyway, I accepted but have no clue what that means, if anything. Somehow this feature sounds more like My Space or whatever teenagers are into.

:eek:

WhereRWe?
08-26-2007, 08:23 AM
What's this about the new feature on the geocaching site, "friend requests"? First I thought I had no "friends", then I got a request from someone who started caching yesterday and I was stuck for an answer. How do I know I want to be his "friend"? Maybe he's a really nice person. Maybe he's a mass murderer (but I doubt it). Anyway, I accepted but have no clue what that means, if anything. Somehow this feature sounds more like My Space or whatever teenagers are into.

If you don't know him, there's no reason to be his "friend". LOL!

Hiram357
08-26-2007, 09:01 AM
If you don't know him, there's no reason to be his "friend". LOL!

I wouldn't want to be friends with anyone that would want me as a freind... :rolleyes: ;) :D

hollora
08-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Agree with Bruce, if you don't know someone I am not sure I would accept a "friend" request. Maybe someone else on this Board knows more about that feature on GC.com.

brdad
08-26-2007, 10:05 AM
IIRC, the friends feature gives you the ability to get notifications of caches they have found as well as stats for them, and I think there was more planned for the feature in the future.

robt
08-26-2007, 02:25 PM
the Freind Request sounds like fun. I am allways looking for people to go cacheing with. :)

kayaking loon
08-27-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm sure it's harmless or GC.com wouldn't have put it on as a new feature. It comes up when you e-mail someone through that site, check "friend request". Then it's in your account. Just click on "my friends" and the names come up of all your "friends", click on one and you can e-mail them. It's just an address book for cachers you might want to contact. Or at least, that's all I can figure out. So I now have one "friend". I think he's probably a teenager, fresh from My Space. He found my signature card in a cache. It's probably a useful tool if you have a few cachers you contact from time to time. You can already get everyone's stats, hides, finds, TBs etc. without it. I thought maybe it had some other use I hadn't thought of, but I guess not.

firefighterjake
08-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I wouldn't want to be friends with anyone that would want me as a freind... :rolleyes: ;) :D

Anyone who treats me to ice cream and then drives way out of his way to bring me home when my car dies in the middle of nowhere (well the "Bermuda Triangle of Benton") after relentlessly teasing him about his Jeep and its tendency to shed its parts is a true friend.

firefighterjake
08-27-2007, 08:26 AM
. . .Maybe he's a mass murderer (but I doubt it). . . .

Well, you'll know this is the case if you do one of his caches and find body parts as trade-able items. ;) :D

kayaking loon
08-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Now that would make a different cache! What would be a good name for it.....:eek:

Haffy
08-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Ummm ,,,, I think maybe the body parts he is referring to are his Jeep parts. He tends to leave them wherever he caches....:D :eek:

Hiram357
08-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Anyone who treats me to ice cream and then drives way out of his way to bring me home when my car dies in the middle of nowhere (well the "Bermuda Triangle of Benton") after relentlessly teasing him about his Jeep and its tendency to shed its parts is a true friend.

lol... well, I'd probably do that for anyone... even jumpstart one of those junk saturns... :rolleyes: :D :p ;)

Beach Comber
08-27-2007, 03:47 PM
You'll treat for ice cream? woooo hooooooooo

Mainiac1957
08-27-2007, 04:31 PM
lol... well, I'd probably do that for anyone... even jumpstart one of those junk saturns... :rolleyes: :D :p ;)
Hey HEY HEY!!!!Lets not get nasty here. Broke down Jeep drivin' so and so!!;) :D :p

Now that would make a different cache! What would be a good name for it.....:eek:
How about "Parts is parts":eek:

Hiram357
08-27-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't look at it as breaking down... I see it as replacing old parts to keep the Jeep new... only a few more parts and I'll be driving a 2007... :D

Mainiac1957
08-27-2007, 07:17 PM
By the time you have all those 2007 parts in the Jeep.......it'll be 2012!!

DO'H!;) :p

firefighterjake
08-28-2007, 07:54 AM
You'll treat for ice cream? woooo hooooooooo

Well . . . actually it usually seems to be Medawisla who starts out by subtly mentioning the idea to Hiram . . . i.e. "Hey Aaron . . . we're going right by Giffords, maybe we should stop." . . . and then it progresses to not-so-subtle remarks . . . i.e. "There's Gifford . . . STOP THE JEEP AARON. STOP THE JEEP NOW!!!" ;) :D

HappyTogether
08-28-2007, 08:24 AM

I thought what happened at ORCA stayed at ORCA? Here I went and disposed of the photographic evidence to protect the guilty....

Hiram357
08-28-2007, 04:28 PM
I thought what happened at ORCA stayed at ORCA? Here I went and disposed of the photographic evidence to protect the guilty....

WHAT!?!?!?! YOU THREW IT AWAY!?!?! The great orca is displeased with you.... :p

HappyTogether
08-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Truth be told the camera seems to have thrown it away for me....

but it sounds better if I make seem like it was a choice. :D

firefighterjake
08-29-2007, 10:28 AM

Ut oh, HT . . . if I was you I would be careful . . . if you're walking along the road in West Bath this week I'd keep looking over your shoulder . . . otherwise you just might be a bit surprised to see a Great Orca (that would be me in the foam rubber suit) in a white Jeep (with parts falling off it periodically) making whale-whistles and noises at you to express the Great Orca's displeasure. :D

HappyTogether
08-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Ut oh, HT . . . if I was you I would be careful . . . if you're walking along the road in West Bath this week I'd keep looking over your shoulder . . . otherwise you just might be a bit surprised to see a Great Orca (that would be me in the foam rubber suit) in a white Jeep (with parts falling off it periodically) making whale-whistles and noises at you to express the Great Orca's displeasure. :D

Someone placed a new 16 County series micro on my road this week, so I may see a bunch of cachers in the area of the next few weeks. Of course an Orca suit would kinda stand out a bit....then again its West Bath, it might not stand out much at all...

firefighterjake
08-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Someone placed a new 16 County series micro on my road this week, so I may see a bunch of cachers in the area of the next few weeks. Of course an Orca suit would kinda stand out a bit....then again its West Bath, it might not stand out much at all...

You might be surprised . . . I've got a cache right down the road from me and the parking spot is right across from my driveway . . . and I have yet to see or meet a cacher there . . . but I know they've been by since I've read the logs.

robt
08-29-2007, 11:35 PM

It is a good thing I backed up the photo evidence then :D :D :D you gotta love digital cameras:rolleyes: