View Full Version : Lewiston area off road park

The G Team
08-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Any ORCAs interested in checking out the new off road park down Lewiston way? From what I gather they are still building trails, but have enough done for some fun. I believe admission is still free. Here is their (very poor) website:

http://www.myspace.com/lewiston4x4

I'd be up for a run Sunday or Monday, if anyone is interested. Jake, there might even be a cache or two on the way!

Hiram357
09-03-2007, 02:39 PM
I'd be all for it, but sept is pretty well packed, perhaps an oct playdate???? ALSO!! I was up north this weekend up around greenville area and saw some mudders takin a break... and they had a website on the back of their 4-runners... www.centralmainewheelers.com (http://www.centralmainewheelers.com)... i've only just gotten onto their site a few minutes ago... but i fell in love with it on the first paragraph of thier page... "Central Maine Wheelers isn't a make and model elitist snob society. It isn't even limited to four wheel drive vehicles, or four wheelers. Hell, it's not even a club at all! What we ARE, is a collection of enthusiasts that like to take to the trails on the weekends (or weekdays!) with almost any kind of transportation imaginable." :D :D :D can you say... "new friends"? I knew ya could... :D

The G Team
09-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Hey, thanks for the link--I'm all registered. Looks like a nice site, although coords to "questionable" wheelin' sites are perhaps a bit troubling.

Anyway, we spent some time at the Lewiston area ORV park today and it is nice. We met up with a nice fellow in a TJ who showed us some of the more challenging trails and was pretty impressed that a more-or-less stock looking XJ could keep up with him ;)

One could easily spend several hours there, even though they are just getting started building trails. The trails go from very mild to a bit of a pucker on a couple of the hill climbs. If you don't have the ground clearance, you have to pick a good line on the more challanging trails or you will scrape.

Def. more challenging than anything I've seen around the Golden Rd. (though that's always a nice ride).

Hiram357
09-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey, thanks for the link--I'm all registered. Looks like a nice site, although coords to "questionable" wheelin' sites are perhaps a bit troubling.

Anyway, we spent some time at the Lewiston area ORV park today and it is nice. We met up with a nice fellow in a TJ who showed us some of the more challenging trails and was pretty impressed that a more-or-less stock looking XJ could keep up with him ;)

One could easily spend several hours there, even though they are just getting started building trails. The trails go from very mild to a bit of a pucker on a couple of the hill climbs. If you don't have the ground clearance, you have to pick a good line on the more challanging trails or you will scrape.

Def. more challenging than anything I've seen around the Golden Rd. (though that's always a nice ride).

what coords are those??

Do they have any overnight accomodations that you know of in lewiston??

sounds like it could turn out to somethin pretty cool :)

Hiram357
09-03-2007, 05:06 PM
ahh nvmnd, i see the coords you see...

The G Team
09-03-2007, 05:44 PM

Eventually, I understand they want to do a full-fledged camping area. For now, it seems they are allowing free camping, but I didn't see much for accomodations, other than a porta pottie in a clearing near the trail head. I guess a call to the owner would be a good idea prior to planning an overnight.

Still, a fall ORCA day trip/picnic might be an idea. The price is certainly right, and don't think it will dissapoint those wanting a challenge. For those with less intestinal fortitude regading vehicle damage, ATVs are also allowed :D

attroll
09-03-2007, 05:44 PM
what coords are those??

Lewiston is only 8 miles from the house so if anyone ever wants to stay in out back yard your more then welcome. Just let me know ahead of time.

The G Team
09-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Lewiston is only 8 miles from the house so if anyone ever wants to stay in out back yard your more then welcome. Just let me know ahead of time.

Rick, that's a super idea--thanks for the offer! BTW, how is your truck? Some of these trails might be a bit much for a full size PU, but others would be fine.

attroll
09-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Rick, that's a super idea--thanks for the offer! BTW, how is your truck? Some of these trails might be a bit much for a full size PU, but others would be fine.
I am still waiting to get a new leaf spring on the drivers side. I don't know when you guys plan on doing this. I am booked up until the third week of October. Even if I can not do it then you are more then welcome to use the back yard to camp in. There will be someone hear every weekend except the weekend of 15/16 September.

Hiram357
09-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the offer Rick!! :D That is definitely something to ponder upon, maybe something in october? (I need to sit down and get all my dates in order, theres so much stuff goin on this weekend... where'd summer go???)

firefighterjake
09-03-2007, 08:21 PM
. . . For those with less intestinal fortitude regading vehicle damage, ATVs are also allowed :D

That would be me!;) :D

attroll
09-04-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the offer Rick!! :D That is definitely something to ponder upon, maybe something in october? (I need to sit down and get all my dates in order, theres so much stuff goin on this weekend... where'd summer go???)
Tell me about it. I don't have one single weekend free until October 20th and that is not for sure either. I am taking a weeks vacation the first week of October just to do work on the web site maintenance and to work on a special web site project. I have not had a weekend this summer or fall to enjoy for myself yet. Now it looks like I may not even make the event this weekend. I am bumming.