View Full Version : Event Recipes

hollora
09-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Seems there is never an event but what someone discovers a new taste treat and wants the recipe.:) Maybe is there is space on this site we should start an Event Recipe Thread subtitle. Anyway - someone asked for the French Toast recipe - from the Apres event breakfast so here it is:

OverNight French Toast - 1 loaf French Bread, 5 eggs, 3/4 c milk, 1/4 Tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 - 20 oz bag of frozen strawberries (I use a plastic container of sliced strawberries and I think it is about 16 oz), 4 ripe sliced bananas, 3/4 - 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp to 1 T apple pie spice or cinnamon. Cut loaf of bread into 8 or more thick slices. Combine eggs, milk, baking powder and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I do this in a heavy duty plastic gallon bag. It packs nicely in a frig, sailboat frig, cooler or ice chest.) In the morning combine frozen strawberries (I thaw them overnight), sliced bananas, sugar and spice. Put fruit mixture in greased baking dish, top with prepared bread. Sprinkle bread with additional sugar and cinnamon. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes.

Also - I took a Pasta Salad to the Last Cache Bashe - here is that one.

Pasta Salad - 1 box of spinach pasta (I used curly), diced onions, diced peppers, some garlic, hand cut up tomatoes, 1 can of black beans (rinsed), 1 can of red kidney beans (rinsed) and a bottle of Hannaford Italian Dressing. All tossed in a 1 Gallon heavy duty zip top plastic bag. The vegetable quanity is to taste and looks.

Mainelyroses
09-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Cauliflower "Potato" Salad

You can make this recipe using the same kinds of dressing, spices, etc, that you'd use to make potato salad - in fact, adjusting it to your own taste is important to the success of this dish. My biggest tip, though, is if you really want it to have the consistency of potato salad, order some Carb Counters Instant Mashers (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/gr/instantmashers.htm). You don't have to use much, but it creates the starchy consistency of potato salad. The salad is still very good without it, though.
INGREDIENTS:

1 medium head cauliflower (about 4 cups/1 quart florets)
2 hard-boiled eggs
1 medium stalk celery, minced (including leaves)
½ cup chopped green pepper
2 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
3 tablespoons Carb Counters Instant Mashers (optional)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared mustard (brown or yellow)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
1-2 drops hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1-2 teaspoons worth sugar substitute
2 tablespoons sugar-free pickle relish or dill relish, or chopped sugar-free pickle
Salt and pepper
Fresh herbs (optional, but good - see below)PREPARATION:

1) Break or chop the cauliflower into smallish florets. If they are too big, they're difficult to cook so that they have the right "bite" and flavor - the outside tends to overcook.
2) Microwave florets in a covered container with a small amount of water, or steam on the stove.
I've never tried boiling, but cauliflower tends to hold on to water, so I'm a little skeptical. You want them to be fork-tender (a fork slips in easily), but not overcooked (avoiding the stronger smell and flavor which develops with longer cooking).
3) Drain and put into a medium bowl. Chop the egg and add. Toss with salt and pepper. I like quite a bit of pepper, and it does seem to take a surprising amount of salt, but this would be to taste. Sprinkle in the Carb Counter Instant Mashers (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/gr/instantmashers.htm)if you're using them, and toss again.
4) Mix the ingredients for the dressing (mayo, lemon juice, spices, etc.). Taste for the balance of flavors you like. Mix the chopped vegetables and the dressing into the cauliflower and egg mixture. Add chopped fresh herbs if you wish - chives, dill, or parsley work well, but I've even used mint for something different. Garnish with the herb, or sprinkle with paprika. Chill.
Makes 8 servings.

hollora
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
Rose - thanks for sharing this one! So many folks are watching carbs today. I should watch them more!

firefighterjake
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Rose - thanks for sharing this one! So many folks are watching carbs today. I should watch them more!

I watch them very closely . . . the problem is I'm watching them go on to my fork and then into my mouth and down the gullet. ;) :D

firefighterjake
09-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Hollora . . . how about Dave divulging the vaunted BFD strombi recipe? :D

Hiram357
09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Seems there is never an event but what someone discovers a new taste treat and wants the recipe.:) Maybe is there is space on this site we should start an Event Recipe Thread subtitle. Anyway - someone asked for the French Toast recipe - from the Apres event breakfast so here it is:

OverNight French Toast - 1 loaf French Bread, 5 eggs, 3/4 c milk, 1/4 Tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 - 20 oz bag of frozen strawberries (I use a plastic container of sliced strawberries and I think it is about 16 oz), 4 ripe sliced bananas, 3/4 - 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp to 1 T apple pie spice or cinnamon. Cut loaf of bread into 8 or more thick slices. Combine eggs, milk, baking powder and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I do this in a heavy duty plastic gallon bag. It packs nicely in a frig, sailboat frig, cooler or ice chest.) In the morning combine frozen strawberries (I thaw them overnight), sliced bananas, sugar and spice. Put fruit mixture in greased baking dish, top with prepared bread. Sprinkle bread with additional sugar and cinnamon. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes.

Also - I took a Pasta Salad to the Last Cache Bashe - here is that one.

Pasta Salad - 1 box of spinach pasta (I used curly), diced onions, diced peppers, some garlic, hand cut up tomatoes, 1 can of black beans (rinsed), 1 can of red kidney beans (rinsed) and a bottle of Hannaford Italian Dressing. All tossed in a 1 Gallon heavy duty zip top plastic bag. The vegetable quanity is to taste and looks.

I LOVED THAT FRENCH TOAST!!!!!!! :D :D :D

(the spicey chicken the night before was really good too!)

hollora
09-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Hollora . . . how about Dave divulging the vaunted BFD strombi recipe? :D

Maybe I can work on him - I don't know as he has it but maybe.

hollora
09-12-2007, 02:58 PM

Durkee wings mix - cook in a bag. Sauce and mixes isle in the grocery store. Used chicken thighs instead of wings (you get more meat!).

There's my secrets!

Haffy
09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
If I was going I would have made this for dessert. I got this recipe from Lynda one of the Hiker twins quite some time ago and I make it all the time now.

Orange Buttermilk Salad

1 can (20oz) unsweetened, undrained crushed pineapple

3 tbls sugar

1 pkg (6 oz) orange flavored gelatin

2 cups buttermilk

1 carton (8 oz) Cool Whip, thawed

1 cup chopped walnuts.

In a saucepan combine pineapple and sugar, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When mixture boils, immediately add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.

Stir in buttermilk and chill until partially set. Fold in whipped topping and nuts. If necessary, chill until mixture mounds slightly. Pour into a lightly oiled 8-½ cup mold. Chill overnight.

hollora
09-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Haffy - that sounds yummie. Thanks for sharing!

Sudonim
09-12-2007, 06:10 PM

I know Hiram liked the spicy chicken. We were both enjoying it and I noticed beads of sweat on his forehead. (Or maybe that was from drinking diet beer in public:p )
Good chicken.

Foxgloves
09-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Seems there is never an event but what someone discovers a new taste treat and wants the recipe.:) Maybe is there is space on this site we should start an Event Recipe Thread subtitle.
Thats a great idea Hollora. Start a subtitle thread under Misc/Other. and call it just that. Event Recipes.

That french toast recipes sounds like it was a hit. I'm curious though...wasn't the bread soggy after sitting overnight in the egg mixture or is does it bake itself out after its been in the oven?
Sounds delicious anyway.:)

Hiram357
09-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Thats a great idea Hollora. Start a subtitle thread under Misc/Other. and call it just that. Event Recipes.

That french toast recipes sounds like it was a hit. I'm curious though...wasn't the bread soggy after sitting overnight in the egg mixture or is does it bake itself out after its been in the oven?

the tops were nice and crispy, and the bottoms were fruity soaked. (kinda like how bread turns out in a bread pudding) I think the keyword to describe it was... yummy. :D

hollora
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Cooking is a science and it's obvious you have studied!:) It bakes itself out and really doesn't seem soggy to me. The strawberries and bananas make a sauce.....ummm!:D This is a great one to prep before you leave on a trip like if you are going sailing and have an oven in a galley. I have never tried it with a relfective oven over a campfire but might work.

hollora
09-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Now Hiram has described his take on the outcome. I guess I should do it again next year.

Hiram357
09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Cooking is a science and it's obvious you have studied!:) It bakes itself out and really doesn't seem soggy to me. The strawberries and bananas make a sauce.....ummm!:D This is a great one to prep before you leave on a trip like if you are going sailing and have an oven in a galley. I have never tried it with a relfective oven over a campfire but might work.

next campout we can put this in my dutch oven, I did an apple crisp in it a couple weeks ago that came out really good!

baked the apples in the dutch oven for about 15 minutes with brown sugar and cinamon and butter, then we covered the apples with a topping that was brown sugar, oats, and some other stuff, put the lid on it, covered it with coals for about 15 more minutes and the apples came out nicely done with a nice crispy topping. :D (camping is all about the food) :D

firefighterjake
09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
. . . (camping is all about the food) :D

And here I thought it was all about the beverages. ;) :D

Mainiac1957
09-13-2007, 04:05 PM
next campout we can put this in my dutch oven, I did an apple crisp in it a couple weeks ago that came out really good!

baked the apples in the dutch oven for about 15 minutes with brown sugar and cinamon and butter, then we covered the apples with a topping that was brown sugar, oats, and some other stuff, put the lid on it, covered it with coals for about 15 more minutes and the apples came out nicely done with a nice crispy topping. :D (camping is all about the food) :D

That sure sounds good Aaron. You have to make some the next time we camp. Anybody camping this weekend? Looks like I may bail on the island camping event. Still waiting to see if the weather improves. I am free in 2 weeks. Going anywhere fun?

Hiram357
09-13-2007, 04:21 PM
That sure sounds good Aaron. You have to make some the next time we camp. Anybody camping this weekend? Looks like I may bail on the island camping event. Still waiting to see if the weather improves. I am free in 2 weeks. Going anywhere fun?

The closer it gets, the more it looks like we're not going to do the warren island either. So where we headin too?

hollora
09-13-2007, 05:41 PM
As much as I would love to go to Warren Island - a day in the rain - hummm. I am willing to go if Brad is willing to drag me. Otherwise maybe we can do a cache run!

I have never used an oven camping so that sounds like fun. And yes, camping is All about food.

Next year maybe I will make my breakfast cookies! Those are good munchies. Made with oats, cheese, eggs, bacon - yum!

Foxgloves
09-14-2007, 11:05 AM
That sure sounds good Aaron. You have to make some the next time we camp.

That does sound easy Hiram. Apple Crisp... yum. It only takes 15 minutes huh? I would love to learn how to cook Dutchoven style when camping. I have a beautiful 14 qt Dutchoven that I have not used yet...
The guy at the Folk Festival doing the demonstration made it look so easy...:rolleyes:

I thought it might be fun to do a fall event with camping,and Dutchoven style open fire cooking (if not this year maybe next)and make a geocaching weekend out of it also. People could come and go during the day and get together in the evening for meals. We would need someone to stay back at campsite and tend the fire during the day but I'm sure that wouldn't be too much of a chore. Just an idea but I don't know where we could do such an event...Most campgrounds close after Labor Day weekend

Hiram357
09-14-2007, 02:57 PM
That does sound easy Hiram. Apple Crisp... yum. It only takes 15 minutes huh? I would love to learn how to cook Dutchoven style when camping. I have a beautiful 14 qt Dutchoven that I have not used yet...
The guy at the Folk Festival doing the demonstration made it look so easy...:rolleyes:

I thought it might be fun to do a fall event with camping,and Dutchoven style open fire cooking (if not this year maybe next)and make a geocaching weekend out of it also. People could come and go during the day and get together in the evening for meals. We would need someone to stay back at campsite and tend the fire during the day but I'm sure that wouldn't be too much of a chore. Just an idea but I don't know where we could do such an event...Most campgrounds close after Labor Day weekend

well, its more like 30 minutes, 10-15 minutes for the apples then another 10 - 15 after ya put the crust on.

That guy at the folk festival had opening those cans of campells soup down to a science, and the way he got those charcol briquets to burn that way I'll never know... :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

That sounds like a really great idea for a campout!! There are lots of sites around that are big enough, that are primitive sites (most have an outhouse) but those are first come first serve, we'd have to have someone there a few days before to make sure we can camp there (we tried the states reservation system... that's a friggen joke)

Foxgloves
09-15-2007, 01:16 PM
That guy at the folk festival had opening those cans of campells soup down to a science, and the way he got those charcol briquets to burn that way I'll never know... :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: LOL
The guy doing the demonstration at the Folk Festival didn’t impress me much either (only because he was not very well set up to talk to a group of people)
but I sensed that there is interest amongst our group….in this type of cooking

That sounds like a really great idea for a campout!! There are lots of sites around that are big enough, that are primitive sites (most have an outhouse) but those are first come first serve, we'd have to have someone there a few days before to make sure we can camp there (we tried the states reservation system... that's a friggen joke)

I was thinking of an event with somewhat of a different theme from other events and call it something like "Dutchoven Cooking/Camping/Hiking event"

I think the fall is a great time to do this sort of thing as the temps get cooler. Even as late as early December….since there aren’t many outdoor events this time of the year. It could be a milder version of Vicbikers winter campout event.;)
We could incorporate a group day hike and meet back at the site afterwards for a hearty meal and evening campfire. anyone who has a dutch oven could bring it and we can do some with desserts and some with main dishes etc....

So if anyone has any interest or ideas about hosting such an event and where…..please post. It will be hard for me to actually host it, since I'm not in Maine… but I would love to help organize it and be a part of it if someone else wants to take off with the idea...(hint*hint Hiram);) You might know of a place that would work well for this. And if this year is too short notice then maybe next year we can set it into motion.

It would be fun to schedule this event this year although I am not sure of my own schedule right now after mid November. My son comes home from Iraq and some of my weekends will be with him. But I would do my best...

Foxgloves
09-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Here is a useful Temp Chart (http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wDnsRqsdMQzf96jIS7bsLgq_GbT_Q_-otzGya7mWiFY67HA9RXT3Mwess3ZYtfuzb_giAOKMBZSiHgPoq H3vi9GhbvLmV4NNdy8/A%20Heat%20Chart%20File/Cast%20Iron%20Dutch%20Oven%20Baking%20Temperature% 20Chart.doc) I found on line for controlling temps in outdoor cooking.

Also Cooking Legend (http://www.dutchovencookware.com/dutch-oven-recipes.html)

It is a science....:confused:

Hiram357
09-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Here is a useful Temp Chart (http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kA_sRpAK5OvASYv85BztSHApw89nM2ObvuK2EgWxl45MXqWLRR MScyj-z2GDOIK9znc5_ejuIBFOtAwZB7Q-Z8ggmIgN_NNb9cs/A%20Heat%20Chart%20File/Cast%20Iron%20Dutch%20Oven%20Baking%20Temperature% 20Chart.doc)I found on line for controlling temps in outdoor cooking.

Also Cooking Legend (http://www.dutchovencookware.com/dutch-oven-recipes.html)

It is a science....:confused:

Well... I don't think it's quite that complicated, i have a hook for my dutch oven lid, so even when it's covered in coals i can take the lid off to check on what I'm cooking. which allows me to impliment the "stick a fork in it, it's done" method of cooking. It hasn't failed me yet! :D

hollora
09-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Warren Island was a go - and we had a great time. Combination of weather but stars over the campfire both nights!:D Yes, a tad damp on Saturday AM but it cleared and we prepared a bountiful and fun pot luck meal.

There was loads of food :) for the pot luck - chili, brats with peppers and onions, shepards pie, turkey chunks and stuffing, cheese tourtilleni, pumpkin pie and surely I have forgotten something. I found the big challenge was to travel light enough to put things in a kayak. A challenge is good.;)

I found a few neat web sites with ideas by googling kayak recipes and kayak cooking. (sorry my linkablity is not so good).

There are a few more events on the books for this year. Last year the kayak event didn't happen in July but that makes a nice venue to do food - and especially if it is done where you can combine kayaking with some hiking too (and of course geocaching).

Right on Nikki - a food event - great fun. What would geocaching be without good food, friends and sharing?

squirrelcache
09-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I want to apologize, the dip didn't come out as good as it could have been. It really needed a bit more time to cook/mix in my camper stove, and somehow I didn't see the posted time for the campfire. A shallow casserole dish works Much better.

There are many variations of this recipe. I made the bluecheese dressing from scratch.

Shred some Chichen breasts and marinate in Frank's Hot Sauce overnight. Layer the bottom of a casserole dish w/cream cheese or neufchatel. Next is the layer of chicken. Top it w/your favorite bluecheese dressing like Marie Callender's. Some like Mozarella on top. Cook in a 350 oven for 45mins., or to your liking.

kayaking loon
09-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Gary (Team2Hunt) wanted to know who made the spinach rolls at the Useless event. Anyone know or have the recipe?

Team Richards
09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Gary (Team2Hunt) wanted to know who made the spinach rolls at the Useless event. Anyone know or have the recipe?
If You are talking about the hot swiss chard stuffed with hamburg and rice covered in tomato sauce...Mad Quilter made that. It was my favorite dish as a kid...ok it still is. I'll get the recipe. If that isn't the one, then I don't know.

brdad
09-28-2009, 02:58 PM
I may have already mentioned this, but if someone would be willing to collect these recipes and put them into an article it would be a great addition to the site. Perhaps we could even have our own cookbook someday as well. Anyone up for the task? As always, I am willing to help get you started if you have a fear of articles. ;)

On a side note, nice to hear from you again, Mainelyroses!

hollora
09-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Crock Pot MacNCheese – Get Useless in Eustis Way
By hollora

1# Macaroni (cook as directed on package), 2 – 8 oz. packages Shredded Mexican Cheese, 1 – 12 oz can Evaporated Milk, 1 C Regular Milk (1 used 1% milk), 1 can Cheddar Cheese Soup, 1 stick butter (I used 1/2 cup tub margarine), salt & pepper and I used a dash of garlic power and some onion powder. Melt the butter with the milk in the crock pot, add all the other ingredients except the macaroni and mix well, add cooked macaroni. Heat in crock pot on high, stirring a few times until cheese is all melted, and continue to heat until hot, bubbly and ready to serve.

Waterski
09-28-2009, 06:14 PM
I have not had time to check through all the logs here yet, but the banana bread was delicious. Could someone post the recipe for that one? That was much better than any b.b. recipe that I have used. Thank for bringing it, whoever you were.

WhereRWe?
09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Although it's the only thing I tried, I also liked the cherry/pistachio(?) cake. How about the recipe for that, please. :D

hollora
09-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Hopefully someone who brought those items or who knows who brought them will read and post here.

I don't eat sweets but I did hear nice compliments. Wonder if you would ever get the cheesecake recipes out of parmachenee (Charron).......I know folks were drooling.

Team Richards
09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
I have not had time to check through all the logs here yet, but the banana bread was delicious. Could someone post the recipe for that one? That was much better than any b.b. recipe that I have used. Thank for bringing it, whoever you were.

Foxgloves brought the BB.

Team Richards
09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Although it's the only thing I tried, I also liked the cherry/pistachio(?) cake. How about the recipe for that, please. :D
Not sure who made this cake, but we would like that recipe too.

hollora
09-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Have emailed foxgloves. Anyone with information on the cake - post or em. Also Robt has a football from the group site - who is the owner?

hide_from_the_kids
09-29-2009, 06:33 PM
would anyone mind if i took these recipes and put them into a pdf for an article?

hollora
09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
would anyone mind if i took these recipes and put them into a pdf for an article?

I have already done an article with brdad - although it is not a PDF - I am sure we could do that.

hollora
09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Got the banana bread recipe - it will be in the article soon

hide_from_the_kids
09-29-2009, 06:58 PM
just for us lazy people can you put a link here for me?
:D:D

hollora
09-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Brdad is helping me with this but go to the threads on the left of the home page and I think it is there.

hide_from_the_kids
09-29-2009, 07:31 PM
i found it thanks. this is what i was thinking as well glad you did it now when i want something different i can check here

brdad
09-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Lois and I talked about creating a PDF and/or creating an actual cookbook to sell for the site. I think once she has a good number of recipes collected that will happen. If it is a PDF it will be posted as a download in her article. It makes it sense to keep it together, since if recipes are added both the article and the PDF will have to be edited.

Here is a link to the article: Maine Geocachers Recipes (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4225)

hollora
09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Lois and I talked about creating a PDF and/or creating an actual cookbook to sell for the site. I think once she has a good number of recipes collected that will happen. If it is a PDF it will be posted as a download in her article. It makes it sense to keep it together, since if recipes are added both the article and the PDF will have to be edited.

Here is a link to the article: Maine Geocachers Recipes (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4225)

Thanks Brdad for helping me with this. It should become a lot of fun. I hope other folks who may want to submit recipes do so.......it doesn't have to be something they brought to an event - although there are a lot of other yummie dishes/recipes we don't have yet.

hide_from_the_kids
09-29-2009, 08:11 PM
thank you both. and you should get some recipes from me soon

hollora
09-29-2009, 08:42 PM
thank you both. and you should get some recipes from me soon

:):) Wicked Good as one good cooka' would say!