View Full Version : Western Maine

Team Ducky
09-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi!

We are staying in Jackson, NH for a week at the end of the month. We are planning on visiting Maine several days. We are thinking about the Rangeley area down to Freyburg, sorry Kayaking Loon the Eustis area is a bit too far. I would love to see Loons or Moose on this trip. I am more interested in finding good locations than large numbers of finds. I have my pocket queries but haven't figured out which ones are must finds. My problem is that I have a step disability, no terrains over 2, the difficulty doesn't matter.

Thanks and take care,
Sam

Hiram357
09-13-2007, 09:04 PM
that's one part of maine I havent cached in too much (and I still need to get over there for the delorme challenge) but from my experience with caches in that direction, there's not a whole lot of easy grab-n-go caches, but just about everyone takes you to a nice spot you wont forget. Ya might want to try a pocket query from fryberg, but set your difficulties low.

Haffy
09-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I was hoping someone would have chimed in before now but I guess not. I have done a few in the Rangley area but most of them are not of the easy terrain type of caches. It's just a beautiful area though and Rt 17 from Rangley down to Rumford is very pretty especially in the fall during the foliage season. Oh wait it is getting near that time now isn't it? I forget since I am down here in SC now and the temps are still in the 90's. This photo was taken near the cache called Bemis. It is located on the AT and probably would't be an easy terrain type of cache for you though. This is taken from the road close to the cache. A very beautiful area non the less. Enjoy!!!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/cacheplaces693Medium-1.jpg

Team Ducky
09-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Wow, the area in the photo looks amazing. Bemis is one I can do, will make a point to find it.

Any problems with mosquitos this time of year?

Hiram357
09-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Wow, the area in the photo looks amazing. Bemis is one I can do, will make a point to find it.

Any problems with mosquitos this time of year?

it's been gettin down into the 40's at night (probably 30s over and up that way) mosquitos shouldnt bother ya too much. but bug spray is always a handy thing to have (especially with the midges... i hate those lil buggers)

darterkitfox
09-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Remember, you won't be in NH anymore. In Maine, the sparrow sized mosquitos bite even on Christmas day. If you get into South Paris, try Cornwall nature preserve. All flat walking but a little ways into the woods.

Team Ducky
09-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Cornwall preserve looks like a cache I must visit. I created a bookmark of the caches I plan to visit for the day. http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=31f44820-5427-46b6-90f9-430b0f8d50aa

I doubt that I will hit all 17 places I marked. I plan on doing this run on Wed (9/26) or Thur (9/27). If anyone wants to meet up, perhaps in Harrison for dinner?

kayaking loon
09-20-2007, 03:54 PM
If you do Bemis, remember to do the micro in the same place, Minnesota Twins Visit Height of the Land. I haven't done many down in the Rumford area yet. What route are you taking? If you're going to Bemis don't forget to do Coos Canyon. If you should take Rt. 16 up to Errol and then into Maine I can suggest more caches that are nice. And you're not coming to Eustis! What!!!! We're only a 25 minute drive from Rangeley.:eek:

Hiram357
09-20-2007, 04:35 PM
If you do Bemis, remember to do the micro in the same place, Minnesota Twins Visit Height of the Land. I haven't done many down in the Rumford area yet. What route are you taking? If you're going to Bemis don't forget to do Coos Canyon. If you should take Rt. 16 up to Errol and then into Maine I can suggest more caches that are nice. And you're not coming to Eustis! What!!!! We're only a 25 minute drive from Rangeley.:eek:

and if ya go to Eustis you can get some darn good wheel cheese from the Pines Market too!!! :D

Team Ducky
09-20-2007, 09:52 PM

Yes, we have all of those caches bookmarked. The order Moose Hunt(NH), Just a little bit closer(NH), B17 crash site, Upper Dam: Leon's Bench, Upper Dam: Leon's Nano-Gram, Rangeley Overlook, Bemis, Height of the Land, Coos Cayon(drop off Cameoooooo's Lost Keys (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=cf2dbe34-5a6d-483d-befe-3ec053edc2ad), hey it mentions a house key. Anyone know where Cache Maines lives?;) ) , Rumford Falls, The Falls, Cornwall Nature Preserve. Is the B17 site crash site worth the visit? Is there a cache I should visit that is missing from the list?

Eustis is 25 minutes away but another 25 minutes back, not to mention the hunting for cache.

We are doing the trip on Tuesday.

Monday is another long day...VT, Quebec, NH. Wednesday I will need to recover. Thursday is the lake region of NH. Friday, thinking about doing Daytripper, and the other one on the island. Saturday, more Maine around the Portland area. Oh, the first Saturday we are doing a route from the Portland Airport to Jackson, NH...I think I have 10-12 marked. The other half of the team isn't going to be happy with the heavy cache load, I think I bookmarked 50-60 caches. :D Even though I only have 130 finds after 1 year.

Cache Maine
09-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Rangeley Overlook, Bemis, Height of the Land, Coos Cayon(drop off Cameoooooo's Lost Keys (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?guid=cf2dbe34-5a6d-483d-befe-3ec053edc2ad), hey it mentions a house key. Anyone know where Cache Maines lives?;) )

He he heh....I am so excited that my keys are coming back into Maine, but come on now! Rangeley! he he heh. *smile* Can't wait to see them again, and where's that pic of the keys you keep talking about, I would LOVE to see it. Have a safe trip and maybe, just maybe....see you on the trail!!!!

kayaking loon
09-21-2007, 09:03 AM
If you're coming in on Rt. 16 you should get Molechunkamunk:Millbrook. It's a micro but you can drive right to it and it's in a really beautiful spot. That's one of my favorites. Also get A Fine Dam Cache, another nice place. Moose Tracks is in Rangeley, on the road to the Saddleback Lodge. Not too scenic but easy to get to. Travel Bug isn't far from Coos Canyon but not as scenic. But enough already! You probably have more caches listed than you can get to. And next year you're coming to Eustis, right? :D

Team Ducky
09-21-2007, 12:40 PM
He he heh....I am so excited that my keys are coming back into Maine, but come on now! Rangeley! he he heh. *smile* Can't wait to see them again, and where's that pic of the keys you keep talking about, I would LOVE to see it. Have a safe trip and maybe, just maybe....see you on the trail!!!!

I took some photos a few minutes ago...sorry didn't have more time to play in Photoshop. There is another photo on the TB page, with a closer look at the keys.

Team Ducky
09-21-2007, 12:44 PM
If you're coming in on Rt. 16 you should get Molechunkamunk:Millbrook. It's a micro but you can drive right to it and it's in a really beautiful spot. That's one of my favorites. Also get A Fine Dam Cache, another nice place. Moose Tracks is in Rangeley, on the road to the Saddleback Lodge. Not too scenic but easy to get to. Travel Bug isn't far from Coos Canyon but not as scenic. But enough already! You probably have more caches listed than you can get to. And next year you're coming to Eustis, right? :D

Thanks for the suggestions, I will make it a point to visit Millbrook and Dam cache. Unsure where we'll head next year, who knows we could fall in love with the area and stop back for a second day...then we'll do Eustis. I have my Garmin loaded with 900 caches...never know where you'll end up.

team moxiepup
09-21-2007, 08:46 PM
We did a few caches near Rangeley in August and we did see a moose while in teh area.

Here are a few we did:
GCWZ95 The Shoe closet was interesting and a quick grab
GCWZ8T The lost Shoe is along the same road near the state park
GCNDJQ Coos Canyon Cache
GC4E50 Overlook
GC1829 Bemis One of the older caches in Maine and a short hike. You may get lucky and see a walking stick or two at teh trail head...we saw a crutch:eek:
GCWZAB Rangeley Overlook Very nice view.
GC4E50 Overlook Very nice view
There were a good variety of caches in the area.
Use caution while in the area especially as dusk approaches... Moose blend right into the shadows:(

WhereRWe?
09-22-2007, 05:11 AM
We did a few caches near Rangeley in August and we did see a moose while in teh area.

Here are a few we did:
=

Yup - I would definitely do these two! LOL!

Team Ducky
09-22-2007, 09:38 AM

Here are a few we did:

Use caution while in the area especially as dusk approaches... Moose blend right into the shadows:(

Hmmm....those two weren't on my list. I'll see if I can grab those. I have 18 on my list already! My record for one day was 17.

We really hope to see Moose on our trip, although I think our best shot is in the Pittsburg, NH area.

Any good places to eat in area?

kayaking loon
09-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Hmmm....those two weren't on my list. I'll see if I can grab those. I have 18 on my list already! My record for one day was 17.

We really hope to see Moose on our trip, although I think our best shot is in the Pittsburg, NH area.

Any good places to eat in area?

The Lost Shoe and the Shoe Closet are "different" and fun micros, nothing particularly scenic about the area they're in except it's all scenic in western Maine. The moose are hiding, the hunt is coming up soon. the best time to see moose is in late April through mid-June. And a good place to eat, if you happen to be hungry when you get to Oquossoc, is the Gingerbread House.

WhereRWe?
09-23-2007, 08:38 AM
The Lost Shoe and the Shoe Closet are "different" and fun micros,

Sheesh! Any time a micro is "different", it's worth doing! LOL!

hide_from_the_kids
09-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Not to derail the intent of this post, but I think we have one up on that crutch. We ran into a complete set of undergarments recently while geocaching in southern maine along with one shoe . . . someone must have had an interesting walk out of the woods :)

hide_from_the_kids
09-23-2007, 09:33 PM
and thanks for the start of a good list, we have been meaning to get over to Rangely.

There is a simple cache on Dead Man's Corner in New Hamphire.

We enjoy going to Coos Canyon but have not been there recently when able to explore (not necessarily a great location for the wee ones).

Jockey Cap in Fryburg is a quick hike. Bemis has been on our list for almost a year now.

And now that I see how random my post is, I think I shall stop posting for tonight :)

Team Ducky
09-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi Gang!

I'm here at the Inn in NH. I am using a shared compurter with a slow connection.

I am going to be very, VERY, busy when I get home. This has been a weird week with the hot weather. I have MS and cannot tolerate the heat and I fatigue quickly. However, I have managed to find 25-30 caches, only logged one so far...going to wait until I get home with a faster connection. I have covered three states and Canada. Yesterday was the western maine trip, went 8 for 9 before the storms rolled in. Cameo's Lost Keys are in Rangeley though. :D Rangeley trees are peak, get there now if you want to see them. I'm not a fan of Rt. 17, I dislike roads on mountains without guardrails. :eek:

One of my favorite caches that I found was the Shoe Closet. All those shoes, found the cache quickly. Our sig item is camo rubber duckies, 4 shoes now contain one. :)

I'll post the list on finds in Maine when I get home. Western Maine and Portland.

Haffy
09-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Glad you had a great time, beautiful trip wasn't it? If you had a camera we would like to see some of the photos that you took.

kayaking loon
10-01-2007, 05:41 PM
When I saw that Team Ducky had left 4 camo rubber ducks at the Shoe Closet, I had to get one since I collect signature items. But I didn't want to drive that far for a rubber duck! But then my daughter called and she had to go to Rangeley so she took me along. And one of the 4 ducks is now happily home with me. Since you're supposed to "leave something if you take something", I tucked a small wooden loon into one of the shoes. Saw some wild turkeys near the cache. Their feathers really looked beautiful in the afternoon light. The pole with all the hats on it is still there. And another "collection" has been started on yet another pole. Looks like this one will be women's underwear. I'm sure some of you will be interested in watching that one "grow". :D Thanks, Team Ducky!

Team Ducky
10-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I will post some photos soon, it took me 4-5 hours to log my finds of course it didn't help that I ended up with 14 TB's on my journey (tried to insure that each one got 3 states and Canada). I didn't get many at Rangeley since I ran for cover! I don't like black skies and thunder. I have some nice ones at the Shoe Closest and Millbrook. Too funny that you picked up our camo rubber ducky.

Cache Maine
10-02-2007, 06:32 PM
When I saw that Team Ducky had left 4 camo rubber ducks at the Shoe Closet, I had to get one since I collect signature items. But I didn't want to drive that far for a rubber duck! But then my daughter called and she had to go to Rangeley so she took me along. And one of the 4 ducks is now happily home with me. Since you're supposed to "leave something if you take something", I tucked a small wooden loon into one of the shoes. Saw some wild turkeys near the cache. Their feathers really looked beautiful in the afternoon light. The pole with all the hats on it is still there. And another "collection" has been started on yet another pole. Looks like this one will be women's underwear. I'm sure some of you will be interested in watching that one "grow". :D Thanks, Team Ducky!

So if I head to Rangeley, I can get my keys, one camo duck and a wooden loon? You know, work is really starting to cramp my caching style. Hope they are still there when I get there!

Glad you had a great time Ducky...and thanks so much for taking care of my keys.

hollora
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
So if I head to Rangeley, I can get my keys, one camo duck and a wooden loon? You know, work is really starting to cramp my caching style. Hope they are still there when I get there!

Well, I would go on a rescue mission but have an exam appointment tomorrow....bummmer!:(

kayaking loon
10-03-2007, 07:25 PM
If you need me to, I can rescue your keys, get you a duck AND a loon. Maybe even a wild turkey! Are your keys in the Shoe Closet too? I could mail everything to you. Or would that deprive you of the thrill of discovery???? Let me know.

Cache Maine
10-03-2007, 07:47 PM
If you need me to, I can rescue your keys, get you a duck AND a loon. Maybe even a wild turkey! Are your keys in the Shoe Closet too? I could mail everything to you. Or would that deprive you of the thrill of discovery???? Let me know.

What an amazing offer, but I'll have to pass. I do hope to get to Rangeley very soon and will settle happily for the memories of the trip if the above things are long gone. It's all about the journey! Thanks for the thoughful gesture and if my tb was in "trouble" then I would surely take you up on the offer! Thanks again!

firefighterjake
10-04-2007, 08:12 AM

Now is that wild turkey . . . or Wild Turkey? ;) :D

kayaking loon
10-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Now is that wild turkey . . . or Wild Turkey? ;) :D

Sorry, Jake, it's wild turkey, not Wild Turkey.:(

And Cameoooooo, maybe I'll just send you a wild turkey. Would you like it live or dead?:confused: Hope you get to Rangeley soon and enjoy the journey. Don't forget to check on that virtual you adopted from me. Virtuals take a LOT of upkeep!:D

Cache Maine
10-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Sorry, Jake, it's wild turkey, not Wild Turkey.:(

And Cameoooooo, maybe I'll just send you a wild turkey. Would you like it live or dead?:confused: Hope you get to Rangeley soon and enjoy the journey. Don't forget to check on that virtual you adopted from me. Virtuals take a LOT of upkeep!:D

He he heh, I know...I'm just bombarded with emails on that Rangeley virtual. hehehe :)
I sure hope to get out there soon!

Team Ducky
12-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Wow, does time fly! I am super lazy with my photos...and FINALLY got to post my second half of the trip at GC. I'll post two here. My Maine photos aren't great, darn storms that moved in.

Here I am with the Lost Keys at Rangeley. The smiley face on the key chain is my addition. If you look to the left those are black clouds with thunder. We left when we heard that.
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/8d7c5b71-0d10-4cfa-8c45-401cbf6d398f.jpg

Amy at Fort Williams
http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/19b6d2cd-b098-408e-af9d-c855232ed7d2.jpg

Cache Maine
12-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Great pics...nice set of keys you got there!!!! Your shirt says, "got moose?" That is funny.

Team Ducky
01-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Warning, the Ducks are coming back in May! I am attending a conference in Jackson, NH the first week of May, I expect to have some time to get some of those cache I missed last time.

Isn't May mud season?

Kacky
01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
No, dahlin. May is blackflies.

darterkitfox
01-30-2008, 05:24 PM
This is Maine. Spring, Summer, and Fall is mud season.

hollora
01-30-2008, 06:23 PM
This is Maine. Spring, Summer, and Fall is mud season.

You are right and I have fallen down in enough puddles to prove it - just ask Francis Family!:eek:

darterkitfox
01-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Well actually, just 3 weeks ago one of the snowmobile trails around here was closed because of too much mud. My wife and I and Keiko tipped over into a big pool of it and Keiko was crushed underneath. Only half her little body was showing out of the mud. My leg was caught underneath the machine and it took my wife pulling the machine from the uphill side and me pushing the runner with my free leg to get it off of us. Took quite a bath to get all the mud out of Keiko. We were all cold, wet, and miserable. Until last weeks cold weather there was a lot of mud spots and running water on a lot of the trails.

firefighterjake
01-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Well actually, just 3 weeks ago one of the snowmobile trails around here was closed because of too much mud. My wife and I and Keiko tipped over into a big pool of it and Keiko was crushed underneath. Only half her little body was showing out of the mud. My leg was caught underneath the machine and it took my wife pulling the machine from the uphill side and me pushing the runner with my free leg to get it off of us. Took quite a bath to get all the mud out of Keiko. We were all cold, wet, and miserable. Until last weeks cold weather there was a lot of mud spots and running water on a lot of the trails.

I hear ya . . . two weeks (or maybe it was three weeks) ago I decided to take the sled down for a short ride to the store to gas it up . . . after going through three wetholes and two running streams and getting a mud bath I decided to park the sled until things froze up . . . which they did by last weekend . . . doesn't look good now though with yesterday's rain/temp and Friday night/Saturday morning's forecast . . . seems like I'm going sledding every other weekend.

Team Ducky
01-31-2008, 11:19 AM
No, dahlin. May is blackflies.

Uh-oh...I'll have to bring netting!

darterkitfox
01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Well we did make it up to Millinocket for those two days last week. My first trip north for snowmobiling. We put in 111 miles the first day and 107 the second. I tell ya, having a 40 lb terrier laying on the gas tank spreading your legs apart while you try to keep them together for 5 hours of riding is sure tough on you. I couldn't walk upright when I finally stopped. I can't remember if it was Dave that said he had a camp up there, but snowmobiling is sure different there than around here. Found one cache in town too. I looked but they don't have many close by right in Millinocket.