View Full Version : Caching Around Moosehead Lake

kayaking loon
09-21-2007, 09:14 AM
We just went to Greenville caching for a couple of days. I think it was Firefighterjake who mentioned that and got me thinking about it. Nice! No urban micros. No micros at all! Beautiful places. We got a total of 17 scenic ones. Kingsbury Pond was a nice stop along the way and I got a vial of real gold out of the cache. It seems Mainecoondog put out 50 vials around the state. Has anyone else found one? Also liked Twisted Sister Cedar Stump on the AT in Monson, beautiful lake and a loon calling. The B52 Crash Site was great. I didn't expect to like it but found it impressive. And Mountain View Pond was really beautiful as was Lily Bay Cache (more loons calling). Got Toby Falls on the way back. Someone had built an impressive fairy house there, slate steps, door.... and the falls were lovely! And I liked Three Town Lines, not for the area but because I got to meet Imonfire and her young son. He loves "treasure hunting" and is very cute. He watches out the window for people looking for his cache. So if you have time, stop and get that one, wave to him, and meet C. I think Imonfire has about 10 caches out in that area so it's worth a day trip.

I liked all of the caches we found and plan to do that trip again next year. Anyone know of good caches around Baxter Park?

hollora
09-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Anyone know of good caches around Baxter Park?

Not sure how you might approach the area but there are some nice ones. I have done a few and have more to do.

In town Millinocket is the Dancing Dave Memorial Cache - GCQHJK - this one is a micro and to say any more would give it away.
Then headed towards the Mountain - there is the Earthcache - Millinocket Lake Kettle Pond - GC13TJ5. On the road to the park continue on - "Postcard From the Mountain" - GC6FAC, Sticks and Stones - GCRV3T, "Dibs on the Cribs" - GCRV3T, and Northern Maine Woods Virtual Tour #1 - GC4E75 to name a few.

There are a number more on the Golden Road and even a new Earthcache too since I was up there in mid-August. A search of Millinocket Maine in the "address" section of the Hide and Seek area of the GC web site should give you plenty to choose from. The area is beautiful and so much to see. As you head out of Medway and North on Route 11 there are some others too. If you come from I-95 North don't miss the ones at the Medway rest area Northbound, there is one South bound and if you want to go a bit further North one at mile 252. There is also one in Medway at the Veteran's Park.

Enjoy your trip!