View Full Version : Camping at Wheelbarrow Pitch

attroll
09-27-2007, 12:56 AM
It is October again and Hiram, Stef, Tink and I are planning what we hope to be a yearly event to Wheelbarrow pitch. This is a camping area located off the Golden Road 13 miles out of Millinocket. We are looking at the weekend of October 5 and 7 with the possibility of leaving Friday afternoon. You will need a vehicle with some ground clearance to get into this place.

I was thinking of making this an even and calling it the “Last Dash Camping Trip”. If we can get enough people interested I will make this an event.

Here are our plans for the weekend for caches we would like to do, Omaha Beach, The Big Victory at Little Omaha, Debsconeag Ice Caves, Postcard From The Mountain, Sticks and Stones, Havin’ Abol, Pitman Mt. There may be more that we can add to the list.

Please let’s hear from anyone else that is interested.

Here are the directions on how to get there from Golden Road.

The entrance to the road off Golden road is at N 45* 46.618 W 068* 53.479

At N 45*46.160 W 068* 56.022 TURN RIGHT going straight will take you to Omaha Beach.

At N 45* 46.619 W 068* 56.944, you will be at Little Omaha Beach, go right and continue onwards. You will pass a boat launch. Right after the boat launch there will be a left turn with a sign for Wheelbarrow Pitch.

Mainiac1957
09-27-2007, 06:14 AM
One is I will be up there this weekend camping. Not that I wouldn't go again. And second we are on vacation to Vermont that week. Maybe one of these years it will work out so I'll be around when everyone goes together up there.;) ;)

Hiram357
09-27-2007, 06:44 AM
One is I will be up there this weekend camping. Not that I wouldn't go again. And second we are on vacation to Vermont that week. Maybe one of these years it will work out so I'll be around when everyone goes together up there.;) ;)

I see how it is... you just don't want to hang out with us... :p

firefighterjake
09-27-2007, 08:01 AM

Heidi and I are planning on going to Vermont this weekend as well . . . who knows maybe we'll run over . . . I mean into . . . each other. ;) :D

hollora
09-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Sounds like a fun trip.....but......plans were made a while ago for this weekend. Friends are coming from Seattle WA for leaf peeping and when they leave I was planning shooting to Southern Maine to support GC15391 - weekend Geocaching event which Hawk Chucker started a thread on and published a bit ago.

Francis Family and I did a couple of those mentioned caches when Amara was about 5 weeks old this summer. I think there has been at least one new one published in the area recently. If you folks go have a super time! I'll be thinking of you.

cape ann carol
09-27-2007, 10:15 AM
I would defiantely join this adventure- so far no plans for that weekend...so I will keep it open and watch for exact plans.

We were up there the beginning of August and it was one of the best trips I have taken- I would go back in a heartbeat.

Mainiac1957
09-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Heidi and I are planning on going to Vermont this weekend as well . . . who knows maybe we'll run over . . . I mean into . . . each other. ;) :D

What part of Vt are you going to?

hide_from_the_kids
09-27-2007, 08:20 PM
We are contemplating a trip to Vermont on eastern New Hampshire that weekend. My sister would like to go to Keene, NH but I would like to go to Northern Vermont. Otherwise, I think I am finally brave enough to either camp with kiddos or gift them to the in laws.

attroll
09-28-2007, 12:32 AM
I would defiantely join this adventure- so far no plans for that weekend...so I will keep it open and watch for exact plans.

We were up there the beginning of August and it was one of the best trips I have taken- I would go back in a heartbeat.
Carol last time we went we had a small group and we had a great time. The location is awesome. Keep us posted if you are going. We are going to try and head up on Friday afternoon sometime. The directions I posted are right on the money so if you can not make it Friday then just follow the directions. If anyone wants to come in a car we can make arrangements to shuttle people in and out just let us know.

Tink and I will stay until Sunday evening and then we have to head back. I do not have Columbus Day off. I don't know if Aaron is staying until Monday.

cape ann carol
09-28-2007, 08:20 AM
Rick-
If there are some of you going- then I plan to come up- I talked Larry into coming with me so I cant wait. The ice caves a really cool- Im glad there will be a few of us to go over there. I will use your directions - I got into Omaha beach- but Im a bit confused on Wheelbarrow pitch, and unfortunately my computer is on the blink - so I dont have my mapsets to put in the coords and seee where it is...but I will figure it out by next week.
I assume the caves will be explored on saturday? does anyone need a boat- I can carry a couple with me no problem.
I dont have monday off either- But I think I will leave Gloucester by 130 fri- and hope to get there before dark.
I didnt want to leave there in August, its an awesome area!

Carol

firefighterjake
09-28-2007, 08:24 AM
What part of Vt are you going to?

Well I'm not sure yet . . . Plymouth will most likely be on our list of places to see since we really liked visiting Calvin Coolidge's hometown on our last visit several years back . . . other than that I'm not sure.

Foxgloves
09-28-2007, 10:59 AM
That sounds like it would be fun and I would have loved to go :( but
I always have Columbus Day off so I make my long weekend plans months in advance...and it usually involves a campground stay before they all close for winter. Sounds like a great time....have fun.
Maybe next year......

Looks like a few of you will be in VT....The foliage is pretty here but the colors aren't very brilliant...yet. The last few years we have not had the reds but Columbus weekend maybe it will liven up a bit. We didn't have enough rain early on and the colors just seem dry and not very crisp. But fall in VT is still very pretty and I hope you all enjoy it. Some of the apple orchards are starting to open now. If any of you are in Stowe area, make sure you stop at the Cider Mill (not far from Ben & Jerrys). They make the best doughnuts and their cider is being made right on the spot.

The G Team
09-28-2007, 01:54 PM
I might be up for the ride--any excuse to get the Jeep dirty--I doubt the rest of the team will be interested in rustic camping, though.

attroll
09-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Rick-
If there are some of you going- then I plan to come up- I talked Larry into coming with me so I cant wait. The ice caves a really cool- Im glad there will be a few of us to go over there. I will use your directions - I got into Omaha beach- but Im a bit confused on Wheelbarrow pitch, and unfortunately my computer is on the blink - so I dont have my mapsets to put in the coords and seee where it is...but I will figure it out by next week.
I assume the caves will be explored on saturday? does anyone need a boat- I can carry a couple with me no problem.
I dont have monday off either- But I think I will leave Gloucester by 130 fri- and hope to get there before dark.

Carol
Awesome. The more the merrier. Yes I think we are planning on doing the ice caves Saturday. I have not even talked to Hiram about them yet. I am just assuming he would want to do them becaause we meantioned it once before.

I have maps for each of the caves so that should help us out if we get to them.

Hiram357
09-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Rick-

Carol

Getting to wheelbarrow pitch is just as easy as getting to omaha beach, before you get to omaha there will be an intersection, turn right there, it will take you down to little omaha, wheelbarrow pitch is about .5mi past little omaha on the left. (don't worry about getting lost, theres only one way in and one way out on those roads...) :D

Hiram357
09-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Awesome. The more the merrier. Yes I think we are planning on doing the ice caves Saturday. I have not even talked to Hiram about them yet. I am just assuming he would want to do them becaause we meantioned it once before.

I have maps for each of the caves so that should help us out if we get to them.

I'm up for the icecaves, maybe we can find a decent spot to chill the beer... :D

Mainiac1957
09-28-2007, 02:15 PM
That sounds like it would be fun and I would have loved to go :( but
I always have Columbus Day off so I make my long weekend plans months in advance...and it usually involves a campground stay before they all close for winter. Sounds like a great time....have fun.
Maybe next year......

Looks like a few of you will be in VT....The foliage is pretty here but the colors aren't very brilliant...yet. The last few years we have not had the reds but Columbus weekend maybe it will liven up a bit. We didn't have enough rain early on and the colors just seem dry and not very crisp. But fall in VT is still very pretty and I hope you all enjoy it. Some of the apple orchards are starting to open now. If any of you are in Stowe area, make sure you stop at the Cider Mill (not far from Ben & Jerrys). They make the best doughnuts and their cider is being made right on the spot.

We are going to be at Smugglers Notch in a time share for that whole week. We have many day trip planned to include Barre as well as going to Lake Placid in NY. Maybe even to Montreal for a day. Not sure yet.

firefighterjake
09-28-2007, 02:20 PM
. . . make sure you stop at the Cider Mill (not far from Ben & Jerrys). They make the best doughnuts and their cider is being made right on the spot.

Pasteurized or unpasteurized? I only drink the unpasteurized -- the pasteurized stuff tastes like watered down apple juice in my own opinion.

cape ann carol
09-28-2007, 02:30 PM
oh- my subie made it to Omaha no problemo- not sure about little omaha- But of course I will try and if I get stuck in the middle of the road- well you will find me....
there was snow in the ice caves in august- and a snowball fight was had!

Hiram357
09-28-2007, 03:01 PM
oh- my subie made it to Omaha no problemo- not sure about little omaha- But of course I will try and if I get stuck in the middle of the road- well you will find me....
there was snow in the ice caves in august- and a snowball fight was had!

This time of year it's dry enough you don't have to worry, unless we get a lot of rain next week. (went in one time and had water up to the doors...) other than that, keep an eye out for rocks that are hungry for oilpans (you can see dark spots in the road where a few rocks have claimed victims) just take it easy and ya shouldn't have a problem (brad's old Vue made it in ok)

cape ann carol
09-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey Hiram-
do you & steph need a canoe or do you have one?

Hiram357
09-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Hey Hiram-
do you & steph need a canoe or do you have one?

I just float like an otter, it's easier to carry beer that way :D

I dunno, do we need a watercraft to get to the ice caves?

cape ann carol
09-28-2007, 03:59 PM
yes boats are needed to get to the caves.
I saw 2 otters playing when I was there in Aug- it took them about 15 seconds before they noticed me and popped up like periscopes- they were really cool, they were not carrying any beer though :)

WhereRWe?
09-28-2007, 04:03 PM

LOL! I can picture Hiram floating on his back with a beer resting on his stomach!

:p :p

HappyTogether
09-28-2007, 06:47 PM

Shouldn't you be swimming like an ORCA?

This trip sounds so tempting....

but I'll still be coaching kindergarten soccer on the weekend. Too many hobbies, not enough weekends. Hope you all have a great time.

attroll
09-29-2007, 01:13 AM
yes boats are needed to get to the caves.

I know you just kidding around here unless you took another way into the caves. You can drive within about one mile of the caves to a gate and from there it is easy walking. Sounds like we are going to have a good turnout. Once we get closer then those of us leaving to go up Friday can all work out a time to meet each someplace so we can all head up together.

cape ann carol
09-29-2007, 02:03 PM
I did not know you could walk to this, we paddled to within .10 of GZ.
good to know.
I will still bring a boat or 2, if we are on the water I would regret it if I did not have them.

Mainiac1957
09-30-2007, 05:25 PM
We did on Saturday. Awesome place, just no ice right now.

Hiram357
09-30-2007, 05:38 PM
I know you just kidding around here unless you took another way into the caves. You can drive within about one mile of the caves to a gate and from there it is easy walking. Sounds like we are going to have a good turnout. Once we get closer then those of us leaving to go up Friday can all work out a time to meet each someplace so we can all head up together.

We did on Saturday. Awesome place, just no ice right now.

Yeah, but it was one heckuva bushwack! (fun though) and it's a twofer cuz you can grab the katahdin erratic on the way in too. :D (and it's definitly a place worth exploring more than twice :cool:

Hiram357
09-30-2007, 05:39 PM
LOL! I can picture Hiram floating on his back with a beer resting on his stomach!

:p :p

I pay a minimum of $20 per incriminating photo... :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
09-30-2007, 05:51 PM
I pay a minimum of $20 per incriminating photo... :rolleyes:

Sheesh! How much do you think Medawookie would pay for the negative? :eek: :eek:

Hiram357
09-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Sheesh! How much do you think Medawookie would pay for the negative? :eek: :eek:

dunno... depends how much money I give her... :rolleyes: :p :D

Medawisla
09-30-2007, 07:17 PM
dunno... depends how much money I give her... :rolleyes: :p :D

Actually, I have $3,000 all my own, I was thinking of buying a new car, but...exceptions could be made...:rolleyes: ;)

Cape Ann Carol,
A boat would be cool, if there's enough water for paddle, I think ATtrol and Tink have boats they may/may not bring. We went to the ice caves this past weekend, but I wouldn't mind another adventure up there, it was neat!:cool: And there was a view that I didn't get to explore before we left...

attroll
09-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Wow did you guys explore all 5 ice caves? I thought you were going to wait and do it with us this weekend. What a bummer.

Hiram357
10-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Wow did you guys explore all 5 ice caves? I thought you were going to wait and do it with us this weekend. What a bummer.

i think we found about 3, but we're definitely going again :D

no ice though... which sucked because my beer went warm... :rolleyes:

firefighterjake
10-01-2007, 08:02 AM
. . Too many hobbies, not enough weekends. Hope you all have a great time.

I agree . . . and then there's work around the house (regular work, renovation work and of course work-work) . . . I tell ya that dreaded W-word just gets in the way of geocaching.

firefighterjake
10-01-2007, 08:03 AM

I dunno, do we need a watercraft to get to the ice caves?

If this is the same ice cave that I'm thinking about you can get to it via land . . . but it's all bush whacking and a long bushwhack at that . . . canoeing in would probably be easier.

cape ann carol
10-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I am really excited about the weekend. How many of you are going?
I had a slight change in plans, Larry will have to fish so he bailed on me. A few of my girlfriends are very interested in joining us- i think 5 or 6 of them.
Steph - I will definately bring a couple boats- and the other cars will also bring one each, Paddling to the caves may be a good idea- the terrain over there- is heavy duty! But if the winds are heavy paddling can be difficult.
I am taking friday off and getting started by 6am- I pick up the first set of girls in Danvers, then to Amesbury and the last one in Portland. If they are all ready to go we should get up there by 1 or 2 ish.
Rick- Im not sure how big wheelbarrow pitch is, but is there any other campsite close by that one just in case?
what time will everyone else be getting there?

firefighterjake
10-01-2007, 09:09 AM
. . .Im not sure how big wheelbarrow pitch is, but is there any other campsite close by that one just in case? . . .

WBP has a fairly large area . . . I've always been a bit partial to Little Omaha Beach which also offers some nice camping and views, but Hiram doesn't like it since you can't drive right to the point where the campsite is . . . you have to hoof your stuff 100-150 yards.

Of course there is always Omaha Beach . . . I hear it's a great place for group camping . . . right Hiram? ;) :D :rolleyes: Incidentally, I trust you guys had a great time . . . I really wanted to be there, but had to get some stuff done and fortunately I was able to nearly complete everything . . . another few nights staining and then the master bedroom will be ready for the carpet guys (and then I get to move on to the next project in the house. :rolleyes: :( )

attroll
10-01-2007, 12:37 PM
WBP is a fairly large campsite. Actually it is two camp sites. I would say it is about the size as the grassy area of my back yard and maybe a little smaller.

I have Friday off also and I am just waiting to hear from everyone else. Maybe we could all meet at Walmart in Waterville or something like that.

I don't know where everyone had to bushwack. Here are the directions I got from North Woods Explorer who owns the cache.

Just as you cross abol bridge there is a big speed bump and what looks like
a gravel pit on the left side of the road. This is Abol road, it goes to
several places to camp and finally you will find a gate. You can see
where people walk around the gate. Just after the gate take the road to
the left. If you follow it until the gps mark the earthcache directly to
your right you will be at the edge of a clear cut. Just follow the
skidder trail up the ridge to within about two meters of the caves. If
you stay on the road it will bring you to the outlet campsite.

cape ann carol
10-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey Rick,

If my plans go well I should be able to be in waterville by 930 am.
It would be nice to caravan up but not neccessary, as I do know where to go.
Are you bringing any boats?
Looks like I will have a subaru caravan coming up from Mass.

hollora
10-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey folks - there's a new Earthcache in Sherman and..........another on the Golden Road. That one might be fun to get as a group - with a group photo. Just an FYI - wished I could join you. Have a great time!

Hiram357
10-02-2007, 08:39 AM
WBP is a fairly large campsite. Actually it is two camp sites. I would say it is about the size as the grassy area of my back yard and maybe a little smaller.

I have Friday off also and I am just waiting to hear from everyone else. Maybe we could all meet at Walmart in Waterville or something like that.

I don't know where everyone had to bushwack. Here are the directions I got from North Woods Explorer who owns the cache.

I thought you had this week off and were going up the whole week?
I just worked a nice 22hr day yesterday, so if all goes well I'll hopefully be able to take most of friday off. :D

those are the directions that we followed, The kathadin erratic earthcache is on the way if you go from there.

attroll
10-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey Rick,

If my plans go well I should be able to be in waterville by 930 am.
It would be nice to caravan up but not neccessary, as I do know where to go.
Are you bringing any boats?
Looks like I will have a subaru caravan coming up from Mass.
No we are not bringing any boats this time. We will be leaving Friday as well. I guess it all depends on when Hiram is able to go. I will have to talk to the wife. We have Friday off so we can leave any time.

Waiting for Hiram to give a time. We could head up with you but we were thinking around noon time or something like that. We could go sooner though. It depends on Hiram.

cape ann carol
10-02-2007, 11:52 AM
very cool beans Rick,

I think we will bring a few boats just in case we want to paddle a bit. I am hoping to get into debsconeag by noonish...which will give us that day to play and explore too.
one of my friends already cancelled- but I did get latnlongLiisa to join us.
So im pretty sure there is 4 of us.

Any plans on a pot luck dinner fri or sat- or both?

attroll
10-02-2007, 04:10 PM
The food is something we may want to discuss.
Donna said she was going to make a stew for everyone.
I am also sure she will bring some brownies as she usually does.
I have tons of hamburgers left over from my hiker feed I put on last month. So I can bring burgers. i just need to know how many to bring.
The same goes for sodas. I have a bunch of soda left over in cans from my hiker feed.

Here are some ideas.
Jiffy Pop popcorn
others can add to this list.

firefighterjake
10-03-2007, 08:04 AM
. . ..
I have tons of hamburgers left over from my hiker feed I put on last month. So I can bring burgers. . .

And they're guaranteed to be e. coli free, right? ;) :D

becket
10-03-2007, 08:10 AM
I have tons of hamburgers left over from my hiker feed I put on last month.
i don't know if anyone mentioned it and i just missed it, but that was a really interesting article about you and the hikers in the weekend bangor daily news a few weeks back. i enjoyed reading about the feast!

cape ann carol
10-03-2007, 08:24 AM
I will bring rolls to go with Donna's stew, and hamburger rolls, and the condiments. I will pick up the popcorn too.
I will also talk to the girls and we will plan to bring some breakfast things- bagels, fruit .....and whatever they can think of.
So far is the count at..8?
Are you guys planning to cache on friday when we get there? I know we will saturday, and Im getting prepared, But I guess if we plan to cache most of the time and enjoy hanging around the campfire a bit then maybe I should leave the boats home.....I am still on the fence about the boats, I hate to be near water and want them and not have them.

I am looking forward to playing in Maine this weekend! :)

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 01:39 PM
if donna is doin stew on friday, i can do a baked pasta on sat night, sat morn i can also do spud, sausage, and egg concoction... (brad & tom both liked it, so it must be good. :D ) I also always have popcorn on hand (it rarely gets used though cuz were usually stuffed after dinner...) :D

we probably won't cache on the way up, our main goal for friday is to get up there as early as possible to stake our claim on the site and ki... uhh shoo away anyone that may be trying to take the site before us. (if wheelbarrow pitch is take we can always use the 8 holer site as a secondary plan)

cape ann carol
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
we probably won't cache on the way up, our main goal for friday is to get up there as early as possible to stake our claim on the site and ki... uhh shoo away anyone that may be trying to take the site before us. (if wheelbarrow pitch is take we can always use the 8 holer site as a secondary plan)[/quote]

I dont like caching along the way when I am going that far- it takes up too much time. What I really meant was after we set up at wbp - would anyone be caching then? After that ride up- I will have no problem staying around the site and catching up with everyone :D

so I am testing this "quote thingy"
lets see if I did it :confused:

what time are you planning to leave waterville Aaron?

cape ann carol
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM
nope- my quote did not look like all of yours....:o

I am not a computer geek- can you tell??? :D

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 03:22 PM
we probably won't cache on the way up, our main goal for friday is to get up there as early as possible to stake our claim on the site and ki... uhh shoo away anyone that may be trying to take the site before us. (if wheelbarrow pitch is take we can always use the 8 holer site as a secondary plan)
I dont like caching along the way when I am going that far- it takes up too much time. What I really meant was after we set up at wbp - would anyone be caching then? After that ride up- I will have no problem staying around the site and catching up with everyone :D

so I am testing this "quote thingy"
lets see if I did it :confused:

what time are you planning to leave waterville Aaron?

Nope, ya screwed up the quote... all ya gotta do is click the quote button. :p

It depends what time stef gets home from work on Friday, I'm gunna try to have all my hours in by tomorrow so I can have more time to gear up. And then I gotta clean all the camp cookin stuff (I packed it up dirty telling myself I'll clean it when I get home... I still have yet to open the mess box...) :o and I have high hopes for trying to get to the laundromat to wash the sleeping gear (the long summer has taken it's toll...) But a more general answer to your question is that we'll probably be leaving somewhere between 12pm and 5pm. We probably won't hit any caches friday night but are all for goin on saturday.

cape ann carol
10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Nope, ya screwed up the quote... all ya gotta do is click the quote button. :p

It depends what time stef gets home from work on Friday, I'm gunna try to have all my hours in by tomorrow so I can have more time to gear up. I still gotta dig out the shotgun, (we must've seen about a dozen partridge last week up there). And then I gotta clean all the camp cookin stuff (I packed it up dirty telling myself I'll clean it when I get home... I still have yet to open the mess box...) :o and I have high hopes for trying to get to the laundromat to wash the sleeping gear (the long summer has taken it's toll...) But a more general answer to your question is that we'll probably be leaving somewhere between 12pm and 5pm. We probably won't hit any caches friday night but are all for goin on saturday.

ok- all i did was hit the quote button....one more try....;)

sounds like you have your hands full fri morn-good luck!

I plan on leaving Gloucester by 6 am - if all the girls are ready on the way- and all goes well we should get to the site noon-1ish...- so hopefully we will get the site you want. Will I know the site when I get to it?

cape ann carol
10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
WOW IT WORKED!!! :)

thanks Hiram!

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 04:02 PM
ok- all i did was hit the quote button....one more try....;)

sounds like you have your hands full fri morn-good luck!

I plan on leaving Gloucester by 6 am - if all the girls are ready on the way- and all goes well we should get to the site noon-1ish...- so hopefully we will get the site you want. Will I know the site when I get to it?

I drew a map to make it easier, as you can tell it's a bit more detailed than the delorme, and the scale is a bit more acurate.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/apmcgarvey/map.jpg

hopefully that gives you a better idea of where the site is at, ya cant miss it, there are signs posted at the sites too.

also, you could put in the coords for my "B.V. @ L.O." cache, and that will take you right past wheelbarrow pitch. GCY1RF

The G Team
10-03-2007, 04:12 PM

How'd you get that to export? My Etch-A-Sketch doesn't have a USB port--Bluetooth, perhaps? :D

cape ann carol
10-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I drew a map to make it easier, as you can tell it's a bit more detailed than the delorme, and the scale is a bit more acurate.

hopefully that gives you a better idea of where the site is at, ya cant miss it, there are signs posted at the sites too.

also, you could put in the coords for my "B.V. @ L.O." cache, and that will take you right past wheelbarrow pitch. GCY1RF

You are way too Funny!! :D

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 04:46 PM
How'd you get that to export? My Etch-A-Sketch doesn't have a USB port--Bluetooth, perhaps? :D

I put my etchasketch on the scanner... :rolleyes: :D

attroll
10-03-2007, 05:53 PM
i don't know if anyone mentioned it and i just missed it, but that was a really interesting article about you and the hikers in the weekend bangor daily news a few weeks back. i enjoyed reading about the feast!
I got a few private emails saying they saw the article. We had a great time. I can not wait until next year.

I will bring rolls to go with Donna's stew, and hamburger rolls, and the condiments. I will pick up the popcorn too.
I will also talk to the girls and we will plan to bring some breakfast things- bagels, fruit .....and whatever they can think of.
So far is the count at..8?
Are you guys planning to cache on friday when we get there? I know we will saturday, and Im getting prepared, But I guess if we plan to cache most of the time and enjoy hanging around the campfire a bit then maybe I should leave the boats home.....I am still on the fence about the boats, I hate to be near water and want them and not have them.

I am looking forward to playing in Maine this weekend! :)
Don't get any hamburger buns because we still have a lot left over along with the condiments that go with them.

Is that count of 8 in your group or all of us. Donna will not be making a stew big enough for 8 people so Hiram will have to make his pasta to go with it. There will be three in our crew it look like. Donna, me and our son.

I don't know if we will be caching Friday or not. I think it all depends on what time we leave here and arrive. The first thing we need to do is set up camp and establish our turf so no one else comes in an d tries to take it. Someone needs to get there hopefully before anyone else does. I will call Hiram tonight and see what time he plans on leaving. I have been hinting around about it here but he must not have caught on yet.

We also have pancake mix and surup for breakfast. It sounds like we will have plenty.

Oh Hiram I got one can of beans for the midnight snack. I forgot there were going to be there for two night. You might want to bring a can or to more of beans.

cape ann carol
10-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Cool Rick- thanks for the heads up on the buns....
I am bringing 3 girls with me- so just 4 in my group.
I know these girls will also pack too much food- im sure noone will go hungry.
Now that I have the etchasketch map- I can throw my delorme away :D -

tat
10-03-2007, 06:53 PM
I'd like to go too, but I won't know for sure until Friday.

It's GONE!!

Ooops, the game is on and I got distracted.

Anyway, if I do make it, I'll be comming by mountain bike. Hope to see y'all there.

attroll
10-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Man, I don't know what type of scribble that was that Hiram was drawing. I figured I would help you out a little and attach a map to help you find Wheelbarrow Pitch. The directions I posted the first time were wrong here are the correct ones with the map.

The entrance to the road off Golden road is at N 45* 46.618 W 068* 53.479

At N 45*46.160 W 068* 56.022 TURN RIGHT. Do not go straight as it will going straight will take you to Omaha Beach.

You will pass boat launch on your left.

After the boat launch there will be a left turn into Wheelbarrow Pitch and there should be a sign there saying that. The coordinates to Wheelbarrow Pitch are N 45* 46.619 W 068* 56.944

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/503/medium/wheelbarrow-pitch.jpg

attroll
10-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Who ever gets there first try to save both camping spots there are two at that location. If you can not save them both it will be fine because we should all fit into one but two would be better.

TAT, I hope you can make it. What time do you think you will be peddling in if you come?

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 10:36 PM
where'd ya dig up that map??? www,afirstgraderdrewthismap.com?? :rolleyes: :p :D

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Who ever gets there first try to save both camping spots there are two at that location. If you can not save them both it will be fine because we should all fit into one but two would be better.

TAT, I hope you can make it. What time do you think you will be peddling in if you come?

and try to setup at the site near the entrance so that way you can block any attempts at stragglers tryin to get in too. :D

(it's a rectangular site, and the entrance is at a far corner, so it should be fairly easy to take over) :D

cape ann carol
10-04-2007, 08:19 AM
and try to setup at the site near the entrance so that way you can block any attempts at stragglers tryin to get in too. :D

(it's a rectangular site, and the entrance is at a far corner, so it should be fairly easy to take over) :D

That is a good plan, I can do that if we get there before you guys. What time is everyone plannng to get up there?

hollora
10-04-2007, 08:32 AM
That is a good plan, I can do that if we get there before you guys. What time is everyone plannng to get up there?

I have no fear, Carol, in your ability to secure the site! This should be a hoot of a weekend for you all. Enjoy!

Hiram357
10-04-2007, 08:39 AM

planning is an overrated state of mind for those that worry too much... :rolleyes:
we'll arrive around friday between 5pm and 10pm. ( I call dibs on the spot in the back corner opposite of the entrance!!!! ha! beat ya rick!) :D

cape ann carol
10-04-2007, 08:57 AM
So hold on- Will I from Mass make it there before you guys? :p

I will save you your site and us girls will take the other site, I will keep all the intruders out :D

Hiram357
10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
So hold on- Will I from Mass make it there before you guys? :p

I will save you your site and us girls will take the other site, I will keep all the intruders out :D

probably, those of us up here have to work for a livin... we all can't just pack up and take a vacation in maine whenever we want.... ;) :rolleyes: :p

firefighterjake
10-04-2007, 10:16 AM
probably, those of us up here have to work for a livin... we all can't just pack up and take a vacation in maine whenever we want.... ;) :rolleyes: :p

Speaking of vacationing . . . it's nearly 9:30 and I see you're still here logging on instead of "working" like the rest of us.;) :D :rolleyes: Incidentally, has Steph learned about "working" with the State or is she still working like most normal folks? ;) :D

Hiram357
10-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Speaking of vacationing . . . it's nearly 9:30 and I see you're still here logging on instead of "working" like the rest of us.;) :D :rolleyes: Incidentally, has Steph learned about "working" with the State or is she still working like most normal folks? ;) :D

Well, im only here because I already have my 40hrs in for this week, so.... :p :p :p

and stef is struggling... she get up early and comes home around 5... I don't think there's any hope for her...:(

firefighterjake
10-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Well, im only here because I already have my 40hrs in for this week, so.... :p :p :p

and stef is struggling... she get up early and comes home around 5... I don't think there's any hope for her...:(

Someone's got to have a heart-to-heart talk with that girl and explain to her how state government workers are supposed to "work." ;) :D

Hiram357
10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
...state government workers are supposed to "work." ;) :D

LOL i almost thought you were serious there, actually using the word "work" :D

tat
10-04-2007, 06:23 PM

I'll be there before dark, but don't know exactly when. I have an 8:15 appointment and then should be able to leave Orono.

Medawisla
10-04-2007, 08:10 PM
LOL i almost thought you were serious there, actually using the word "work" :D

Most state workers live closer to their buildings...I drive for an hour and 15 minutes every day. What a waste! Can't wait to move...hint hint.:p I did spend a good bit of today at a "coffee break". :D

Medawisla
10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
So, I guess I should also say, that maybe I can sneek out early tomorrow, but mostly likely I won't get home before 4:30, so as Hiram said, we'll leave around 5, hopefully get up there before dark/8ish.
Does Carol know where Eight Hole is in case WBP is taken?

cape ann carol
10-04-2007, 09:10 PM
So, I guess I should also say, that maybe I can sneek out early tomorrow, but mostly likely I won't get home before 4:30, so as Hiram said, we'll leave around 5, hopefully get up there before dark/8ish.
Does Carol know where Eight Hole is in case WBP is taken?

Is eight hole in the same area as wbp?
I should get up there by noonish, so I hope to be early and get wbp, think I have a chance at that?
Just a few more hours till take off!! :p

cape ann carol
10-04-2007, 10:00 PM
So there is a brand new cache, Fat Man's Hole.
Its up at Ripogenus, I assume we can fit this in on saturday? :cool:

attroll
10-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Someone needs to list all the caches and coordinates and bring them. Better yet, Aaron why don't you bring your laptop with them in it.

cape ann carol
10-04-2007, 10:10 PM
I have every cache printed in that entire area...except the brand new one Fat mans woe- can someone print that one??

I also have them all on a printed map...:D

Hiram357
10-04-2007, 10:14 PM
So there is a brand new cache, Fat Man's Hole.
Its up at Ripogenus, I assume we can fit this in on saturday? :cool:

lol, it's the fat man's woe... i don't think i would do a cache called the fat man's hole... that's just wrong... :rolleyes:

Hiram357
10-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Someone needs to list all the caches and coordinates and bring them. Better yet, Aaron why don't you bring your laptop with them in it.

I have this odd feeling like you're trying to hint something at me again... but what could it be??? DAMIT JIM I'M A DOCTOR NOT A MIND READER!!!.....:p :D

cape ann carol
10-04-2007, 10:22 PM
lol, it's the fat man's woe... i don't think i would do a cache called the fat man's hole... that's just wrong... :rolleyes:

Woopsie! LOL!

Can you print it? I wrote down what I needed and tried to read it over carefully ;)

I have a feeling we are in for a very big day saturday! :D
WOOHOO!!

Hiram357
10-04-2007, 11:05 PM

I had a great idea while I was sitting here... I created a PQ and downloaded it to my laptop so we'll have it for the weekend! :D

cape ann carol
10-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Good morning Folks.....I am on my way out my door- see you soon! :)