View Full Version : Has Anyone Shipped a Lobster Trap?

gpsfun
10-03-2007, 08:47 PM
My wife and I have been considering a fall visit to Maine and would like to bring home an older style wooden lobster trap to use as a base for a coffee table. We thought of flying up and getting a one-way car rental so we could drive home - but the rental cost is in the $600 range :( And we'd rather not drive our vehicle both ways.

All of which leads to the question above - can anyone give us any information on how we might ship a lobster trap from Maine to South Carolina?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Brad

robt
10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
hmm, TB Tag???? :D :D

My thought would Be UPS but U am not sure how to pack it. I wonder if any of the antique dealers ship?

Sabby
10-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I did a quick search of "wooden lobster traps" and found a few places that sell them and ship them.
I would guess that they use FEDEX or UPS so I would think that you could get a box that was big enough from say UHAUL and take it to the local UPS store.

OR

Get a Travel Bug tag. Attach it to the trap and have it's objective be a cache near your home :).

I guess while I was typing ROBT beat me to it.

dí76
10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
HEHE

My Uncle was Lobster man for as long as I can remember. I always got a kick out of him selling the old useless ones after they had served their duty. He use to tell me he got years out of them as lobster traps and could turn around and sell them for twice as much as tourist traps.:D

gpsfun
10-03-2007, 10:22 PM
We've decided to choose our shipment option once we get there. The travel bug idea looks good, but there are already two TBs headed my way that have not arrived yet!

Thanks for the replies.

-Brad

Hiram357
10-03-2007, 10:28 PM
We've decided to choose our shipment option once we get there. The travel bug idea looks good, but there are already two TBs headed my way that have not arrived yet!

Thanks for the replies.

-Brad

What part of Maine are you looking to visit? Maybe we could do some research for you and find some stores in the area that deal in such things??

brdad
10-04-2007, 05:59 AM
If you know the size of the trap you could check with the airline and see if they'd take it as extra baggage, but that will probably be $200 or more.

You can also ship fairly large packages by mail.

What about one of the places that sell them and ship them, like http://www.downeastnauticalsalvage.com/traps.htm? Might save a lot of hassle.

Cache Maine
10-04-2007, 07:35 AM
My wife and I have been considering a fall visit to Maine

Let us know when you will be here and we will be sure to have an event planned...we need to keep that streak of meeting at events going!

brdad
10-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Let us know when you will be here and we will be sure to have an event planned...we need to keep that streak of meeting at events going!

The problem with there being so many events is that we feel bad that we miss so many!

WhereRWe?
10-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Becket should speak up on this! Undoubtedly people in her area get questions like this often. She probably knows of a source where one could get a deal on a trap. Hello? Beck - you there? :D :D

Or, sheesh! How about Starzz? The Canadian lobster season starts pretty soon, doesn't it? ;) ;)

brdad
10-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Becket should speak up on this! Undoubtedly people in her area get questions like this often. She probably knows of a source where one could get a deal on a trap. Hello? Beck - you there? :D :D

Or, sheesh! How about Starzz? The Canadian lobster season starts pretty soon, doesn't it? ;) ;)

Aren't Canadian lobster traps smaller after the discount, though? :D

becket
10-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Becket should speak up on this! Undoubtedly people in her area get questions like this often. She probably knows of a source where one could get a deal on a trap. Hello? Beck - you there? :D :D i am here, but don't have an answer. i just asked a few people; they would do the ups thing, but don't know how much it would cost. i don't know a source for the traps - someone mentioned that there were some old traps beside the road somewhere between here and ellsworth, but that is kinda vague! :rolleyes: :D :D sorry, i'm not much help. maybe starzz will do better.

Hiram357
10-04-2007, 08:17 AM

that and they can only catch canadian lobsters...:rolleyes: ;)

firefighterjake
10-04-2007, 08:18 AM
I imagine lobstermen don't use the old style traps anymore anyways . . . there must be a small cottage industry going on somewhere in Maine with folks building only old style lobster traps, painted buoys, pink plastic flamingos and plywood cut-outs of old ladies bent over exposing their polka-dotted bloomers. ;) :D

hollora
10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
My experience has been if it is large and heavy FedEx Ground tends to be the more economical method to ship. UPS is almost always more expensive. The FedEx web site and UPS are very helpful. Make sure you have the dimensions as they will be required if you want to estimate your shipping fee.

As for luggage - I think if it was under the weight max and packed in a box it could count as 1 of your 2 allowed bags. Not sure but I would check with the airline. If you are traveling light on the plane this might work - they might not even require you to package it. Well, worth checking. When I take lobsters on the plan they are my carry on.:D

Part of the weight to a wooden lobster trap is the rocks in the bottom. If you could take those out it would reduce your weight.;)

Starzz
10-04-2007, 10:25 AM
I haven't seen any wooden lobster traps here in a long time. They use the wire traps now...

For the canadian discount... i think its about even now! :)

Canadian lobsters are better too!!! :P :D

WhereRWe?
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM

Discount? What discount! The "looney" is at par with "George" - maybe even a little higher right now. :eek: :eek:

Cache Maine
10-04-2007, 04:45 PM
He is correct, it was $1.033 last time I checked.

The G Team
10-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Shipping via Greyhound for bulky/heavy items can be economical--that might be an option (the Waterville terminal is one of my clients).

hollora
10-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Shipping via Greyhound for bulky/heavy items can be economical--that might be an option (the Waterville terminal is one of my clients).

Great idea. I saw wooden traps at the only open Searsport Flea Market for $25.00 today.

Gump & Gumpette
10-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Someone has a lobster trap table and lamp on ebay for sale. They are showing the shipping cost to be $17. It might be worth looking into...