View Full Version : Which cache should I log?

Cache Maine
10-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Okay, here's the story. Out on a cache run this evening....and went to find a 101 Dalmatian cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=01c1b3c3-de51-47a2-a157-b30329f91dbc). When I got there, I found a card cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4a32c8cf-259f-4d66-aac2-6d295413aecb) in it's place. The logbook and container were intact and placed in what I assume was the same location as the puppy. So, do I log the card or the puppy? I did not find the puppy container, so I'm leaning toward logging the card, however, I did not find the card in it's intended hiding spot...actually about two miles away.

To make it more interesting, it appears it has been like this for over a month and the card cache was logged today with no mention of anything odd, so maybe the two containers got switched?!?!?!

Any suggestions?

firefighterjake
10-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Have you or anyone else e-mailed the owner(s) of these two caches to let them know about the mix-up? I guess if it was me I would e-mail them to let them know . . . it's possible that if they own both caches (and I'm not sure if this is the case or not) they might have mixed the two containers up accidentally . . . maybe? possibly?

brdad
10-18-2007, 06:05 AM
You log what you found, the card. Then you notify both owners so they can check on them and take the appropriate action.

I'm not sure I would have noticed the difference!

Cache Maine
10-18-2007, 06:33 AM
Two different owners, TRF on the puppy and hide from the kids on the card. To be honest, I got home so late last night, I didn't even log my finds, but I did have this on my mind and was curious what I should do....hence my post. I will surely email both and let them know what I found, well, or didn't find... he he heh

Sabby
10-18-2007, 07:25 AM
In looking at the logs it appears that they have been reversed as far back as June. A few cachers had noted the fact in their logs.

Just goes to show that a lot of cachers "just sign and run without reading".

Cache Maine
10-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Sabby, thanks for checking in to that....

I'm amazed really. It was so obvious. I wish I had more time to try and find the Seven of Hearts in it's correct location...that would have helped to piece things together.

Team2hunt
10-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Glad to see you were enough awake at that time of day to notice. After a long day they all tend to look alike.......:confused:

darterkitfox
10-18-2007, 09:43 AM
On a similar note, (sort of), what does anyone do when you find a cache that you believe isn't exactly hidden as you believe it was intended? Sometimes I have found one pretty much in the open but with signs that it had been covered. Also, the weekend of the campground bashe in Sebago, I found one near a canal that was inside a drilled hole in a stump. It fell out when I moved the stump. There was a stick next to it that I am sure was intended as a plug as it was hand made and fit perfectly. I hate to put things back as I think they should be when in fact they were meant to be easy to find.

brdad
10-18-2007, 10:03 AM
On a similar note, (sort of), what does anyone do when you find a cache that you believe isn't exactly hidden as you believe it was intended?

Sometimes looking at the hint will give you a clue. The rating may help to, if it's a 1 or a 1.5 hide, it should be visible from an easy angle. When all else fails, email the owner and explain how you hid it and they can repair it if needed.

hollora
10-18-2007, 08:59 PM
On a similar note, (sort of), what does anyone do when you find a cache that you believe isn't exactly hidden as you believe it was intended? Sometimes I have found one pretty much in the open but with signs that it had been covered. Also, the weekend of the campground bashe in Sebago, I found one near a canal that was inside a drilled hole in a stump. It fell out when I moved the stump. There was a stick next to it that I am sure was intended as a plug as it was hand made and fit perfectly. I hate to put things back as I think they should be when in fact they were meant to be easy to find.

I didn't do that cache - but I heard about it. You were correct - the stick was supposed to cover the cache. Sorry you didn't make it to the event...you were so close.

fantasiynomrah
10-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Just a little update on the dog/card cache switch. I found both and did a bit of researching (looking through logs) to try and figure out what happened.

The 7 of hearts is in the correct location, but it is a replacement cache. The first one went missing in May. The cache that is at the Dalmation's location appears to be the original 7 of hearts cache (it looks like the other card caches). I left a lengthy log on the dalmation page and sent HFTK a message about their card cache.

Cache Maine
10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the update on this. I also did something similar but never heard back...I hope you have better luck!

firefighterjake
10-31-2007, 08:18 AM
Just a little update on the dog/card cache switch. I found both and did a bit of researching (looking through logs) to try and figure out what happened.

The 7 of hearts is in the correct location, but it is a replacement cache. The first one went missing in May. The cache that is at the Dalmation's location appears to be the original 7 of hearts cache (it looks like the other card caches). I left a lengthy log on the dalmation page and sent HFTK a message about their card cache.

So Who's on 1st and What's on 2nd . . . but Why is on 3rd? ;) :D

Hiram357
11-01-2007, 07:13 AM
So Who's on 1st and What's on 2nd . . . but Why is on 3rd? ;) :D

no no, whats' in the gaurdrail! :p

firefighterjake
11-01-2007, 08:15 AM
no no, whats' in the gaurdrail! :p

So Why is under the lamp post?;) :D

brdad
11-01-2007, 08:17 AM
So Why is under the lamp post?;) :D

Every LPC I do, that's just what I say - Why, Why, Why?

WhereRWe?
11-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Every LPC I do, that's just what I say - Why, Why, Why?

LOL! So do we, but we still log them, don't we! LOL! :o :o

Hiram357
11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
LOL! So do we, but we still log them, don't we! LOL! :o :o

afterall, it's all about the numbers... :rolleyes: :p :D

hide_from_the_kids
11-04-2007, 08:37 PM
That particular card has made its way to that particular puppy on more then one occasion; we just keep moving it back (I know we have moved it back twice now but there might have been another time I am forgetting).

Sorry for the lack of reply to emails. We have been maintaining our caches but otherwise have not been doing much in regards to geocaching as of late due to too much other stuff.

Cache Maine
11-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the update on this. How odd is that that they would relocate "themselves?" Quite a mystery! Thanks for helping to clear it up!