View Full Version : Too Many Choices!

Maine-iac_Mom
10-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm trying to decide what GPS unit to get the kids and I for our 'caching adventures. We've never done this before and 2 kids will be using the unit so we need something DURABLE and simple. I'd like to have a compass and mapping capabilities as well as waterproof with a quadrahelix antenna. And I want it all for CHEAP! :D What you do you think of the Garmin GPS 72?

Hiram357
10-19-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm trying to decide what GPS unit to get the kids and I for our 'caching adventures. We've never done this before and 2 kids will be using the unit so we need something DURABLE and simple. I'd like to have a compass and mapping capabilities as well as waterproof with a quadrahelix antenna. And I want it all for CHEAP! :D What you do you think of the Garmin GPS 72?

Well, the Garmin 72 doesn't have a quadrahelix antenna, but I have had a 72 for about 3 or 4 years, and I've done just about everything to it except treat it nicely... I've jumped into rivers after it (and once after it fell off of a train bridge) dropped it off mt. sides, one time I even lost it in the winter time, it must've fallen out of my jeep as I was getting out, but it was missing for about four weeks, and I found it in the snowbank in front of my apartment (and this was after a few snow storms and the parking lot was plowed about 3 or 4 times...) and it still works great! (I even bout a 76cs a few months ago, and I prefer the 72 over the 76) :D

firefighterjake
10-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, the Garmin 72 doesn't have a quadrahelix antenna, but I have had a 72 for about 3 or 4 years, and I've done just about everything to it except treat it nicely... I've jumped into rivers after it (and once after it fell off of a train bridge) dropped it off mt. sides, one time I even lost it in the winter time, it must've fallen out of my jeep as I was getting out, but it was missing for about four weeks, and I found it in the snowbank in front of my apartment (and this was after a few snow storms and the parking lot was plowed about 3 or 4 times...) and it still works great! (I even bout a 76cs a few months ago, and I prefer the 72 over the 76) :D

I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . but you've gotta admit that this testimony alone says something about Garmins and their durability . . . it also says something about Hiram being a klutz, we won't go there.;) :D

Incidentally, not to derail this topic as we always do ol' Hiram ol' buddy, but how did the beer . . . I mean deer stalking go last week at deer camp . . . and what are you guys up to this weekend? Looks like after tomorrow I can finally say our bedroom is finished . . . and then it's on to the next house project.

Hiram357
10-19-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . but you've gotta admit that this testimony alone says something about Garmins and their durability . . . it also says something about Hiram being a klutz, we won't go there.;) :D

Incidentally, not to derail this topic as we always do ol' Hiram ol' buddy, but how did the beer . . . I mean deer stalking go last week at deer camp . . . and what are you guys up to this weekend? Looks like after tomorrow I can finally say our bedroom is finished . . . and then it's on to the next house project.

THREAD HIJACKER!!!!! :p (I'll send you a pm... i don't want to be blamed for this one...) :rolleyes:

darterkitfox
10-19-2007, 03:20 PM
since I've been unemployed for 6 months, the only one I could afford was a Garmin Etrex and it's done fine for me so far.

Mainiac1957
10-19-2007, 04:01 PM
There is my shameless plug for Garmin. BTW are you my mom?:rolleyes: :D :p ;)

becket
10-19-2007, 04:14 PM
[quote=firefighterjake;36079]I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . .;) :D
/quote] i love my magellan, too, even if it's obsolete! walmart has magellan explorist 500s for 199$. it's on my wish list!

WhereRWe?
10-19-2007, 04:29 PM
[quote=firefighterjake;36079]I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . .;) :D
/quote] i love my magellan, too, even if it's obsolete! walmart has magellan explorist 500s for 199$. it's on my wish list!

Sheesh! All the time we've known you - haven't we convinced you to buy a Garmin 60csx YET??? :confused: :confused:

Haffy
10-19-2007, 04:34 PM
My next investment will be the new Garmin HCX as I like the smallness of my ole Vista and with the added benefit of the new extra sensitivity chip and the memory it will be my ideal gps.

WhereRWe?
10-19-2007, 04:38 PM
My next investment will be the new Garmin HCX as I like the smallness of my ole Vista and with the added benefit of the new extra sensitivity chip and the memory it will be my ideal gps.

Like Hiram, you feel the need for one of those waterproof GPSr's, Too? :p :p

hollora
10-19-2007, 07:17 PM
since I've been unemployed for 6 months, the only one I could afford was a Garmin Etrex and it's done fine for me so far.

This is the unit I bought my adult daughter for her birthday over a year ago - she still loves it to this day. To start out this would work and you will probably want to upgrade yourself later. This would be a less expensive unit for the little ones to use alone after you have time to research one with more features and save for it.

Maine-iac_Mom
10-21-2007, 07:13 PM
Is a Garmin eTrex better than a Garmin 72? I DO like that durability described. I have an 8-year-old and a 5-year-old who're going to be using this! LOL I don't want to spend a lot of money, but something that takes hits would be good!

And don't hijack my thread! LOL ;)

WhereRWe?
10-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Is a Garmin eTrex better than a Garmin 72? I DO like that durability described. I have an 8-year-old and a 5-year-old who're going to be using this! LOL I don't want to spend a lot of money, but something that takes hits would be good!

And don't hijack my thread! LOL ;)

Hijack a thread? Sheesh! Do you really think anyone here would do that??

:o :o

Don't know anything about the Garmin 72, but I'm pretty sure the eTrex would handle a thump or two. Unless it lands on it's screen. Then no GPSr will survive! LOL! :D :D

Hiram357
10-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Hijack a thread? Sheesh! Do you really think anyone here would do that??

:o :o

Don't know anything about the Garmin 72, but I'm pretty sure the eTrex would handle a thump or two. Unless it lands on it's screen. Then no GPSr will survive! LOL! :D :D

I've had my 72 land on its' screen a couple of times, as well as me landing on it too...:o it takes a beatin and keep on, um... working :D

Maine-iac_Mom
10-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Mainiac1957 - Does the 1957 indicate your birth year? Because if it does then I'm DEFINITELY not your Mom! LOL MY Mom was born in 1953...

Well, I think we're leaning towards a 72 or eTrex for now. If it turns out that we're REALLY into this stuff then we'll have to upgrade I'm sure.

I do appreciate all the thoughts and opinions from the "field"!

Haffy
10-22-2007, 09:09 PM
How much you plan on spending? You can get the Etrex Vista HCX for $224.

Maine-iac_Mom
10-23-2007, 01:27 AM
Around $100. I don't want to go too crazy without knowing if the kids will stick with this...and they're still a little rough of things! LOL

Hiram357
10-23-2007, 07:24 AM
Around $100. I don't want to go too crazy without knowing if the kids will stick with this...and they're still a little rough of things! LOL

Then for the price of the 72 you definitely won't be disapointed. (but a tip for the beginner, learn how to use the waypoint function... I know a few people that used to just wander around the woods until the numbers matched up... :rolleyes: )

becket
10-23-2007, 08:07 AM
I know a few people that used to just wander around the woods until the numbers matched up... :rolleyes: )
us magellan users, right? :rolleyes: :D

Maine-iac_Mom
10-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Um...isn't the whole point of having the GPS unit is to have the waypoint(s) in it so that you can follow its directions to the cache? LOL

firefighterjake
10-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Then for the price of the 72 you definitely won't be disapointed. (but a tip for the beginner, learn how to use the waypoint function... I know a few people that used to just wander around the woods until the numbers matched up... :rolleyes: )

Uh . . . that would be me . . . but in my defense I had a Magellan and I'm a guy so I never bothered reading the directions first. ;) :D

The G Team
10-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I do a class with the 7th graders each year using the Garmin Gekos--they are small, durable and easy to use. I would get the model with the computer interfact. I think they retail around $129 or so.

Hiram357
10-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Um...isn't the whole point of having the GPS unit is to have the waypoint(s) in it so that you can follow its directions to the cache? LOL

yes, but there is a big difference between having the waypoints, and having the waypoints in the GPS. when i first started (and don't laugh because i know others that have done this...) i didn't know you could put the waypoints into the GPS, so I would wander around the woods with my compass, GPS, and a scratch pad and continue in the right direction by narrowing down the numbers until i was in the right area. (which by the way turned out to be quite accurate...) :D

Sudonim
10-23-2007, 02:30 PM
yes, but there is a big difference between having the waypoints, and having the waypoints in the GPS. when i first started (and don't laugh because i know others that have done this...) i didn't know you could put the waypoints into the GPS, so I would wander around the woods with my compass, GPS, and a scratch pad and continue in the right direction by narrowing down the numbers until i was in the right area. (which by the way turned out to be quite accurate...) :D

Don't feel bad Hiram, there are more of us out there than you realize:D
"You mean you can type in the coords???"

brdad
10-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Don't feel bad Hiram, there are more of us out there than you realize:D
"You mean you can type in the coords???"

I'm beginning to see it your way - there are more of you than I thought there was! :D

I guess it probably helps when I bought mine I ordered it online and had to wait 5 days - so I downloaded the manual and had it nearly figured out before UPS came.

firefighterjake
10-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm beginning to see it your way - there are more of you than I thought there was! :D

I guess it probably helps when I bought mine I ordered it online and had to wait 5 days - so I downloaded the manual and had it nearly figured out before UPS came.

Ohhh . . . you're supposed to read the manual . . . this could be where I went wrong. ;) :D

Mainiac1957
10-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Ohhh . . . you're supposed to read the manual . . . this could be where I went wrong. ;) :D

Yours came with a manual!!!:rolleyes:

Maine-iac_Mom
10-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks, G Team! What do your 7th graders think of Geocaching? I think we're leaning towards getting the Garmin 72 for now.

Oh, does the 72 have internet connection for the waypoints? I guess I need to look again. No manually putting in waypoints for me! LOL

Hiram357
10-24-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks, G Team! What do your 7th graders think of Geocaching? I think we're leaning towards getting the Garmin 72 for now.

Oh, does the 72 have internet connection for the waypoints? I guess I need to look again. No manually putting in waypoints for me! LOL

There is no internet connection on the GPS unit, but you can get a cable to connect it to your pc to download the waypoints to the GPS

Maine-iac_Mom
10-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Awww, OK. Well, I'm NOT good with ANY technology! LOL I bet my son and daugther can figure it out though...Sad, eh? LOL

Hiram357
10-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Awww, OK. Well, I'm NOT good with ANY technology! LOL I bet my son and daugther can figure it out though...Sad, eh? LOL

If I can do it, a 5th grader can do it better. :D

Maine-iac_Mom
10-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Sometimes I think these kids are born knowing technology! My 2-year-old can get on the computer and I've never actually shown him how. (Probably from watching me...)

WhereRWe?
10-25-2007, 07:08 PM
There is no internet connection on the GPS unit, but you can get a cable to connect it to your pc to download the waypoints to the GPS

A new GPSr should come with the PC (serial) cable. :) :)

Hiram357
10-26-2007, 07:31 AM
A new GPSr should come with the PC (serial) cable. :) :)

I'm pretty sure i had to buy mine seperatly, about 97.89237% positive

WhereRWe?
10-26-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm pretty sure i had to buy mine seperatly, about 97.89237% positive

Sheesh! I think you're right! Checking Garmin's website (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=214) for the GPS 72 - I see that the cord is an EXPENSIVE accessory!

All the more reason to get the Garmin 60csx! :D :D

firefighterjake
10-26-2007, 12:15 PM
;)
Sheesh! I think you're right! Checking Garmin's website (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=214) for the GPS 72 - I see that the cord is an EXPENSIVE accessory!

All the more reason to get the Garmin 60csx! :D :D

Or a bundled Magellan package . . . which often includes the mapping software.
;) :D

Maine-iac_Mom
10-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Ugh! LOL Garmin...Magellan...Garmin...Magellen. I suppose it doesn't matter RIGHT NOW since I spent all our money! ;)

Hiram357
10-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Ugh! LOL Garmin...Magellan...Garmin...Magellen. I suppose it doesn't matter RIGHT NOW since I spent all our money! ;)

Check out the thread I made about the bushnell GPS about an hour ago, I never even new Bushnell made GPSs but that one looks pretty fancy, maybe you could be the official guinea pig :D :D

Maine-iac_Mom
10-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Oh! Another brand!? LOL Is it expensive?

Haffy
10-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Don't even bother with the Bushnell,they are crap!!! I read some reviews earlier when they came out and not one was any good.

Maine-iac_Mom
10-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I think we'll stick to a Garmin. (Sorry Magellan users.) Now...if only I wouldnt' spend all our money on other things we could get one! LOL

WhereRWe?
10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
I think we'll stick to a Garmin. (Sorry Magellan users.) Now...if only I wouldnt' spend all our money on other things we could get one! LOL

HOORAY! Great choice! You won't be disappointed. :D :D

firefighterjake
10-30-2007, 11:03 AM

No need to apologize . . . Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, Bushnell . . . who else have I left out . . . it's all good . . . Garmin has a great rep and there are lots and lots of folks who use them so you'll have no problem finding someone to answer your questions about using them . . . the most important thing is to use it and enjoy it while geocaching.

Now if you would only stop spending money on those other unimportant things . . . you know, like groceries. ;) :D

penquissciguy
11-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I like the GPSMAP 60 I bought last April for my tax return present to me. It has a nice antenna, a good-sized screen, and can have detailed maps downloaded to it later on if you want. It comes with the USB cable to connect it to a PC as well. Price is a little out of your $100 range, though.

Ken

firefighterjake
11-27-2007, 03:34 PM
I like the GPSMAP 60 I bought last April for my tax return present to me. It has a nice antenna, a good-sized screen, and can have detailed maps downloaded to it later on if you want. It comes with the USB cable to connect it to a PC as well. Price is a little out of your $100 range, though.

Ken

Welcome to gcmaine.org Penquissciguy!

robt
11-29-2007, 02:08 PM
And not even a mention of Trimble......... :D Ok so it is a little out of the Caching relm....... But great for placing caches... Acctually they did have some recreational units just not sure what they were like.

tat
11-29-2007, 02:31 PM
And not even a mention of Trimble......... :D Ok so it is a little out of the Caching relm.......

I wouldn't say Trimble is out of the caching realm at all: http://www.geocachenavigator.com/

Mapachi
02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Spring for the e-trex vista Hcx If the kids don't get hooked on Geo-Caching.....YOU WILL!