View Full Version : I Haven't Started 'Caching Yet, But I...

Maine-iac_Mom
10-23-2007, 06:38 PM
reeled in another person to try it out! :D How cool is this! I went to a doctor's appointment this morning - MY CHOLESTEROL IS 112 WITH NO MEDICATIONS!!! :eek: - and my doctor asked me what I do for exercise. Well, I said, "The kids and I are going to start Geocaching soon which involves some hiking." He wanted to know what it was and got all excited! He's a hiker - who hikes up Mt Washington?! :eek: - and would love to get HIS kids more involved in it. So, instead of writing my RXes on his pad, he wrote down the Geocaching websites I gave him! :D And as soon as he walked me to the check-out desk snuck into his office to get a quick look!

brdad
10-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Very cool! Just more proof there are all walks of like in Geocaching!

hollora
10-23-2007, 10:20 PM
If anyone wants to know a testimonial to how Geocaching might improve your health - PM EMSDanel. He doesn't get on these forums often so PM him. He has a story about cholesterol AND blood sugars! Yes, geocaching does promote healthy life styles.

I just hate the thoughts of the white stuff on the ground!

d’76
10-24-2007, 07:03 AM
If anyone wants to know a testimonial to how Geocaching might improve your health - PM EMSDanel. He doesn't get on these forums often so PM him. He has a story about cholesterol AND blood sugars! Yes, geocaching does promote healthy life styles.

I just hate the thoughts of the white stuff on the ground!

We did our first 75 or so caches in the snow. No bugs or ticks or sweety t shrits. And FTF are easier to get. Oh and did I mention puzzle caches with parking coords are much if you dont understand the puzzle. Right Andy. :D

firefighterjake
10-24-2007, 08:36 AM
I live for the snow.:D

Maine-iac_Mom
10-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm not overjoyed about snow coming, but I'm hoping to find ways to keep us busy this season. I know some of the caches are in areas that we could get to easily (in boots). And if not, it's something to look forward to in the spring. We love mud! LOL

teamdozer12
10-24-2007, 01:19 PM
I LOVE caching in the snow!! The kids LOVE to follow the footprints! LOL!

WhereRWe?
10-24-2007, 02:53 PM
How cool is this! I went to a doctor's appointment this morning - MY CHOLESTEROL IS 112 WITH NO MEDICATIONS!!!

My cholesterol has always been below 100 - currently 84 - with no medication. But if you saw how big I am, you'd know it wasn't geocaching that keeps my cholesterol down! LOL! :o :o

But when I see my doctor, he always asks about geocaching (although he's never shown any interest in geocaching himself), and remarks that he's glad I get SOME exercise. ;) ;)

Maine-iac_Mom
10-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Do any of you snowshoe to caches? My kids did that last year - but not for caches - to observe animal winter habitats.

84!?!

darterkitfox
10-25-2007, 06:06 PM
This will be my first winter of caching but I don't see how it can be much fun following someone's tracks right to a cache. GPS will probably be put away until spring.

Mainiac1957
10-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Go to an older cache after a fresh snow. That's a challenge.;) I cache 12 months a year. Snowshoe caching is great. Fresh clean air, no bugs, no mud. There was even a winter camping event last year that was attended by 20+ people including kids. That's right, tenting right out in the snow. What a great experience. I am looking forward to winter. In Maine we do have 4 awesome seasons to geocache in. Each has it's own benefits as well as challenges. I guess it's just what you make of it. Give me snow and I make snowcones.:p :D

Team2hunt
10-25-2007, 06:51 PM
We were discussing this a couple of weeks ago. We have...
walked, hiked, biked, kayaked, swam, waded, jet ski, snowshoed, 4 wheeled, and I know those who have cross country skied, and snowmachined to caches. And I can't forget those who cache on 4 wheelers. Those of us who have become addicted will cache in every week in every month.

I remember one day last March. The wind chill was -15 below 0. Coldest day ever in March in Maine. :cool: Now that was cooooool. :rolleyes:

And the kayaking we did last January on Lake Megunticook, in fresh water, in Maine. TAT took the plunge!

tat
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
We were discussing this a couple of weeks ago. We have...
walked, hiked, biked, kayaked, swam, waded, jet ski, snowshoed, 4 wheeled, and I know those who have cross country skied, and snowmachined to caches. And I can't forget those who cache on 4 wheelers. Those of us who have become addicted will cache in every week in every month.

I remember one day last March. The wind chill was -15 below 0. Coldest day ever in March in Maine. :cool: Now that was cooooool. :rolleyes:

I've also climbed, crawled on my belly, flown, ferried, took the train, the bus and even a taxi! There are even caches that you can get without getting out of your car. And a few that you can get right at you computer, without ever leaving the house.

WhereRWe?
10-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Go to an older cache after a fresh snow. That's a challenge.;)

Geocaching is also a challenge this time of year when fallen leaves cover every trace of former activity around a cache! LOL!

Give me snow and I make snowcones.:p :D

Remember! Don't eat yellow snow! :eek: :eek:

Sudonim
10-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Don't forget those winter island caches where you have to walk on water!

Maine-iac_Mom
10-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Are there really that many cachers out there in the winter months? Someone mentioned following others footprints in the snow...I figured that things would slow up!

Hiram357
10-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Are there really that many cachers out there in the winter months? Someone mentioned following others footprints in the snow...I figured that things would slow up!

personally I'm a 24/7/365 kinda guy, if the mood is right, I'll go after any cache. :D

hollora
10-28-2007, 10:53 PM
I remember going for a FTF in the snow - thought I would never make it but got my prize! Of course, I didn't plan the timing right and was late to work the conservation club Bingo - but oh well..........

Caching is fun any time of the year. Like many things - it is what you make it.

Cache swag is interesting in the winter - especially if folks finding a cache in the summer don't think about it perhaps staying over all winter...I could make a long list. It's an educational process.