View Full Version : World Wide Flash Mob-The Maine Event

Cache Maine
10-30-2007, 05:39 AM
It's coming! Maine's 15 minutes of fame! It's WWFM-The Maine Event (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3509576d-ce84-45e7-a98f-a41b79639df9).

There are currently over 70 events just like this one being held in the same exact 15 minutes all over the world!

Check out this cool video of a flash mob in May so you can get an idea of what happens. Enjoy!

zCksiD53U2s

WhereRWe?
10-30-2007, 07:54 AM
It's coming! Maine's 15 minutes of fame! It's WWFM-The Maine Event (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3509576d-ce84-45e7-a98f-a41b79639df9).

There are currently over 70 events just like this one being held in the same exact 15 minutes all over the world!

Um... Is this event being adjusted for time-zone changes? :p :p

Cache Maine
10-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, it is being adjusted. :)

Sudonim
10-30-2007, 09:10 AM
I liked the "soundtrack".

darterkitfox
10-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Well after 45 minutes for my dial up to download just 3/4 of the clip, I skipped the rest, but I got the idea of it. The soundtrack reminds me of several of you guys!

firefighterjake
10-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the video . . . Hiram and I were planning on attending, but our "flashing" would have been a bit different from the flashing that was on the video. I think some of you folks might have been scarred for life if we had followed through on that plan . . . and to think we even had the trenchcoats all picked out. ;) :D

hollora
10-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Have you checked the weather - trenchcoats may still be necessary..........

firefighterjake
10-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Have you checked the weather - trenchcoats may still be necessary..........

For what we had in mind we may need more than trenchcoats to stay warm with this "flash" event. ;) :D

Cache Maine
11-06-2007, 08:29 AM
On Saturday, I will have three buckets. One for the log sheets, one of swag and one for TB/GC's. Please make sure to visit all three!

One of the prizes this weekend will be the honor of claiming the event as FTF so please make sure to get your log sheet in the bucket ASAP! We will be drawing for this before 12:15. It is a very good idea to bring your own pen! There will be other prizes as well.

We'll see you there, don't forget to come in blaze orange!

Foxgloves
11-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I have a couple of questions and thoughts
It says on the cache page that log sheets will be handed out and must be filled out in order to get credit for attending the event. It also says that the log sheets will be handed out in case you dont bring your own. What size log sheet are you handing out so if people want to bring their own they will use a consistent size sheet of paper for the final log book. Is there a format or can we be creative and make up anything we want? That was a little unclear to me on the cache page.

You also noted on the event page that there will be a group photo taken. Because of time constraints I am assuming the photographer will want to set up a tripod and have the camera all set to go and ready before everyone congregates in front of it. That would be a good diversion actually. If some one were to get to the area by 11:50 or so, figure out where the group shot will be, set up a tripod get camera mounted, timer set, and just appear to be taking pictures. Then when the picture is ready to be taken everyone assemble in front of the camera as quickly as possible including the photographer. The more you can get done in advance the smoother it will be for a successful Flash Mob event.
This is just a suggestion and I have a tripod I can bring if you need one

I am a little worried that with a 15 minute event like this that TBs placed into the event will be total Caos. Even with regular events TBs seem to stay on the cache page sometimes a month of more after the event has passed. Who will be responsible for making sure any TBs that are left in bucket get properly logged in and out? I do have a couple TBs Id like to drop off in the event but I am always hesitant about leaving them in events for that very reason. After all, its not the person who took the TB and never logged it that looks bad.(since we dont know who it is :rolleyes: ) Its the one who had it last before it went missing.:(
One last thought, if people are going to drop off TBs they may want to print out the TB info sheet on the TB page and put it in a baggie along with the TB with the NAME of TB and its GOAL both highlighted. If all the TBs have agendas attached to them it sure will make it a lot easier to paw through the bucket in the 15 minute time frame that we have.

Cant wait to see how all this turns out. It should be a lot of fun!
The dinner menu sounds awesome! :D

Cache Maine
11-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Log Sheets....I have post it note size paper all ready to go for people to sign...all different colors. If you want to BYOP, that's great too! I plan on making a collage for the Maine Memories book with all the logs...so it won't necessarily be in a book format.

CM2 is going to handle the photography. We have looked at the area and have a plan. Just look to him for direction when the time comes. We will also have a hidden video camera set up (hopefully) to gather the chaos as well.

I enjoy moving tb's around, so if there is any left over, I will be sure to move them along. As far as someone picking them up and not logging them, that is out of my control. It does happen, and it's unfortunate. We will all do our best to make sure that doesn't happen. Great idea about labeling them...this worked well at GW5.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Haffy
11-06-2007, 05:41 PM
When and if you have the video camera set up and capture the event I hope that it can be shared with those that can't attend. Thanks for all this too....:D

firefighterjake
11-07-2007, 08:31 AM
When and if you have the video camera set up and capture the event I hope that it can be shared with those that can't attend. Thanks for all this too....:D

What?! You're not making a special trip up here just for this event? ;) :D

Haffy
11-07-2007, 05:34 PM
I might be making a WWFM event down here in Columbia if things work out.

team moxiepup
11-07-2007, 07:49 PM
This event sounds great and we are planning on attending. We would like to go and do some caching after the event. We will have Moxie with us and she is too young to drink beer so we will not be attending the Beer and Wings event after this one. Can some of you folks recommend some caches in the area that we can do that do not require hiking into hunting areas and would be dog friendly? We have only done a few caches in the area, usually either before or after events, so we haven't done very many up there. We have run a PQ but it never tells you the "must do" ones. Any and all suggestions would be great. :D

brdad
11-07-2007, 07:54 PM
This event sounds great and we are planning on attending. We would like to go and do some caching after the event. We will have Moxie with us and she is too young to drink beer so we will not be attending the Beer and Wings event after this one. Can some of you folks recommend some caches in the area that we can do that do not require hiking into hunting areas and would be dog friendly? We have only done a few caches in the area, usually either before or after events, so we haven't done very many up there. We have run a PQ but it never tells you the "must do" ones. Any and all suggestions would be great. :D

Why don't you do my Battleship cache? Drive around town for a few hours, and a short walk in some dog-friendly woods for the finale in city limits, so there should be no hunters there.

You Sank My Battleship! (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3cd31003-b73f-4ba5-8818-ad0695143186) (GCB688) by brdad (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=61905) (4/2)

It won't be a cache for the numbers, but people seem to find it fun.

team moxiepup
11-07-2007, 08:43 PM
LOL brdad I was just entering the WP coords into GSAK. :)
We may not be able to get all the coords for it but we will try to get some hits. Moxie does not like the quick ones that she can't get some walking in. So we will mix your Battleship WPs up with some caches. Maybe we will get lucky and get 6 hits in a row :D
We need your cache to complete the 2002 challenge .... along with a whole bunch more 2002 caches.:eek:

brdad
11-07-2007, 08:47 PM
LOL brdad I was just entering the WP coords into GSAK. :)
We may not be able to get all the coords for it but we will try to get some hits. Moxie does not like the quick ones that she can't get some walking in. So we will mix your Battleship WPs up with some caches. Maybe we will get lucky and get 6 hits in a row :D
We need your cache to complete the 2002 challenge .... along with a whole bunch more 2002 caches.:eek:

Cool! A few of the stages are at parks where the dog can run around some, and some stages have other caches not far away. Good luck!

Sudonim
11-07-2007, 10:10 PM

There's a 2002 challenge out already???
I figured that I'd wait for at least a FEW more people to finish the 2001 before I thought about placing a 2002 challenge :D

team moxiepup
11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Sudonim....we were just getting a jump start on it, for when you do post it.:D We know that brdad is already picking away at it.;)
We still have 10 left to do on the 2001 caches. We have over 80 left to find for the 2002 caches. Boy the hiders back then sure loved climbing mountians!!!:rolleyes:

firefighterjake
11-08-2007, 08:30 AM

I was going to mention Brad's Battleship cache . . . but he beat me to it. Moxie might like some of the caches in the City Forest as well . . . easy walking and in a nice area.

tat
11-08-2007, 11:00 AM
The University forest has some nice caches too, Run, Forest Run and Telltale Heart (night cache) come to mind. I liked Geocachet too. The Remember When caches are fun and safe.

Cache Maine
11-12-2007, 08:43 AM
ygeLFoojHwk

hollora
11-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Nice video - thanks for all you put into this event! Just because it was only 15 minutes doesn't mean there wasn't some work here...... So will this become an annual?

Cache Maine
11-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Looks like two a year from what I have heard. I think it would be awesome if a different cacher hosted each one.... I know We3Beans would like to do one.

hollora
11-12-2007, 06:58 PM
We3Beans, We3Beans - you're up!

we3beans
11-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I'd be happy to host one, but someone is going to have to tell me when it is, i can barely handle all this techno stuff and i don't follow the podcasts etc. so when someone knows when it is let me know and I'll find a spot.

Cache Maine
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
No problem...we've gotcha covered.

brdad
11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
The one thing I can think of that would have made this weekends event more interesting is if it had been held at a location visible to a larger number of muggles. Where that would be would depend on the day of the week and time of year I would guess. In the right environment, it would neat to see a number of muggles join in just to see what was going on.

we3beans
11-13-2007, 03:42 PM
that was one of the things i was thinking anyway. maybe we could do it inside a wal-mart (joking, but it would be funny!)?

Hiram357
11-13-2007, 04:00 PM
The one thing I can think of that would have made this weekends event more interesting is if it had been held at a location visible to a larger number of muggles. Where that would be would depend on the day of the week and time of year I would guess. In the right environment, it would neat to see a number of muggles join in just to see what was going on.

How bout the middle of the bangor mall on black friday at 8am.... :D :D :D

Sudonim
11-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Cascade park on a nice warm day (gotta wait a while for one of those, but you get the idea).
Maybe in front of the Union at UMaine during finals week ;)

hollora
11-13-2007, 08:51 PM
that was one of the things i was thinking anyway. maybe we could do it inside a wal-mart (joking, but it would be funny!)?

Maybe not inside, but, outside might work - we could even bring a camper LOL

There are loads of places and ideas I am sure - the posting Host or Hostess gets to pick.........

firefighterjake
11-14-2007, 08:14 AM

There's a nice patch of lawn right next to the Bangor Police Station. ;) :D

Although to be serious for a minute . . . what about downtown near the Bent Washer?

darterkitfox
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
You'd have to have a mighty good GPS that had perfect coordinates to be able to find a bent washer. I had a enough time finding the river.

firefighterjake
11-15-2007, 06:58 AM
You'd have to have a mighty good GPS that had perfect coordinates to be able to find a bent washer. I had a enough time finding the river.

Trust me . . . you can't miss it . . . it's about 6 feet or so in diameter . . . and if that doesn't help just follow Hiram357 (it's right between two Irish pubs in downtown Bangor). ;):D

Hiram357
11-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Trust me . . . you can't miss it . . . it's about 6 feet or so in diameter . . . and if that doesn't help just follow Hiram357 (it's right between two Irish pubs in downtown Bangor). ;):D

so in order to find the cache you have to lay face down on the sidewalk???? :rolleyes:

Sudonim
11-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Although to be serious for a minute . . . what about downtown near the Bent Washer?
I didn't know it was called the bent washer. I thought it was the spot that delinquent kids poured their extra laundry soap, foaming up the fountain.

Cache Maine
11-16-2007, 10:58 PM
The live report that I called in from this event to podcacher.com made it's debut today on Show #138. Make sure to check it out!

www.podcacher.com (http://www.podcacher.com)

:D

darterkitfox
11-17-2007, 09:11 AM
yet another thing that dial up can't do. Or at least in 50 minutes of waiting time.

Haffy
11-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Yeah and boy do I miss dialup...........NOT!!!! :rolleyes:

hollora
11-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Dial up is awful for downloads. Thanks Cache Maine for the WWFM Maine Event - we were there .......... and on the Podcast too - very cool!