View Full Version : archived caches

becket
10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
i just found out that aa1yb is archiving all his (her?) caches. aa1yb said that none of the physical caches have been removed and is very willing to let them all be adopted. please let me know if there is any interest. these are some of my favorite caches and i would hate to have them disappear. i will gladly adopt "stonington international airport" and could do other virtual ones if they can be adopted. i will check with gpsfun. some of aa1yb's caches had already been archived, but most have been active until today. (i'll also try to adopt "scenic sorrento", as i absolutely loved this virtual cache) i will email aa1yb if anyone lets me know they are interested, or you can if you want to adopt some of the caches. thanks!

Cache Maine
10-30-2007, 04:30 PM
I sure hope we can save some of these...wow, what a shock!

gpsfun
10-30-2007, 04:38 PM
I have received a couple of messages on this so I will paste part of my reply to one Maine cacher here so everyone can be on the same page.

If a physical cache is still in place and there is someone who wants
to adopt it, I will be happy to unarchive it. At that point, aa1yb
can do the following:
~~~~~~~~~
To have another geocacher adopt your cache, please go to this web
page: www.geocaching.com/adopt

Once there, enter the waypoint number (GC?????) of the cache and the
geocaching account name of the person you want to take ownership. The
system will generate an e-mail to the prospective new owner, and once
that person clicks on the acceptance link the ownership transfer is
complete.
~~~~~~~~~~
Physical caches that are no longer there are not eligible to be
unarchived unless the cache owner replaces it and requests it to be
unarchived. If that is done, the process described above can be
initiated.

Virtual caches that have been archived may not be unarchived. Virtual
caches that are still active cannot be transferred to a different
owner - they are grandfathered and can remain as-is so long as the
owner continues to maintain them. (Virtual cache maintenance
requirements are spelled out in the guidelines.)

Hope this helps!

-Brad

Sudonim
10-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Looks like someone needs to place a new cache on map 56. The virtual tour of the north maine woods 1-7 have all been archived and you can't adopt a virtual. The DeLorme's challange will be more of a challange without John's Bridge in play :(

hollora
10-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Amen Andy but this is going to be difficult. No more virtuals, they are not adoptable and Maine Dept of Conservation has banned Geocaches......between a rock and a hard place............Earthcache maybe?!?

Hiram357
10-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Amen Andy but this is going to be difficult. No more virtuals, they are not adoptable and Maine Dept of Conservation has banned Geocaches......between a rock and a hard place............Earthcache maybe?!?

They banned them?? I didn't hear about this... are they banned on all DoC lands?? (even public reserved lands??)

hollora
10-30-2007, 07:21 PM
This is a quote from the log of their Alagash Stash cache

"http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/traffic_cone.gif March 22, 2002 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=247201>aa1yb (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ac7e4aee-9b97-45b6-a2e9-b8751357f9b3) (29 found)
The State of Maine Department of Conservation has decided to not allow Geocaching in and around the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. Thus Allagash stashes 1 and 2 are being removed. I have been told that the Department of Conservation feels that these caches will create an increase of visitors to the areas where these are located and is contrary to the nature of the wilderness aspect of the Waterway. Thus I infer from this that no Geocaches will be allowed in these areas.
The email informing me of this came from tim.hall@state.me.us
[view this log on a separate page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=531ad15f-b827-43e0-bcbd-75ade737ae0f)]"

There was an Alagash Stash II physical cache as well near John's Bridge - that also got archived at the same time - for the same reason it sounds.

gpsfun
10-30-2007, 07:38 PM

The State of Maine Department of Conservation has decided to not allow Geocaching in and around the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. Thus Allagash stashes 1 and 2 are being removed. I have been told that the Department of Conservation feels that these caches will create an increase of visitors to the areas where these are located and is contrary to the nature of the wilderness aspect of the Waterway. Thus I infer from this that no Geocaches will be allowed in these areas.
Does anyone know if this is a documented policy or of any other reference beyond the e-mail mentioned in the log?

Hiram357
10-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Ok, so it is just for the Allagash that they say no caches, or are there other areas that they have said no caches? (It's understandable for no caches in the allagash because they're pretty uptight about that area, which is a whooooole different thread...)

WhereRWe?
10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
will create an increase of visitors to the areas where these are located and is contrary to the nature of the wilderness aspect of the Waterway.

Sheesh! Don't get me started! LOL!

They want to preserve the land "for the people", but they don't want you on it!

Logic: If people enter a wilderness, it's no longer a wilderness. :confused: :confused:

hollora
10-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Remember Bruce those were not my words! All I know is what I have read on cache pages. And having just placed an Earthcache and jumped through some very interesting hoops with DOT, I have no idea why this decision was made by someone in Augusta, I presume.

It is clear to me, DOT wants NO physical cache placements near or on bridges from the conversations I had with several folks in that department. I was working to meet Earthcache requirements (you must document permission for the cache by name/postion and contact information) for the Formation near the new Penobscot Narrows Bridge.

I agree with Bruce about "preserve the land for the people, but they don't want you on it!".........there are certainly worse activities happening in them thar woods than Geocaching! Their logic makes no sense.

What blew me away this weekend is on the roads we traveled (and paid a fee), the lack of Maine vehicles - oh there were a few - but there were more from out of State. How could the folks owning the gate complain? -- $5 per head unless you are a Senior or under I think it was 12....... And should something happen they have everything on you by License plate number. I didn't even give them my name and they called me by name. Even in them thar woods big brother or someone is watching!

It's just to bad the virtual caches were seemingly hastily archived. I am sure there were a lot of people that would have helped being given an opportunity. On the other side of the coin - there may be circumstances beyond the cache owners control which made them feel this was necessary.

A loss, for sure, for the entire Geocaching community and others who may join us in the future.

Hiram357
10-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Sheesh! Don't get me started! LOL!

They want to preserve the land "for the people", but they don't want you on it!

Logic: If people enter a wilderness, it's no longer a wilderness. :confused: :confused:

All the more reason to restore Boston... :rolleyes: ;) :D

Haffy
10-30-2007, 09:03 PM

"http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/traffic_cone.gif March 22, 2002 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=247201>aa1yb (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ac7e4aee-9b97-45b6-a2e9-b8751357f9b3) (29 found)
The email informing me of this came from tim.hall@state.me.us
[view this log on a separate page (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=531ad15f-b827-43e0-bcbd-75ade737ae0f)]"

There was an Alagash Stash II physical cache as well near John's Bridge - that also got archived at the same time - for the same reason it sounds.

This is just in regards to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. That is for you Brad (GPSfun) in particular. The DOC only wanted to have those 2 removed because of the sensitivity of that particular area in question.

gpsfun
10-30-2007, 09:29 PM
This is just in regards to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. That is for you Brad (GPSfun) in particular. The DOC only wanted to have those 2 removed because of the sensitivity of that particular area in question.

Haffy, is this documented anywhere or is it just word of mouth?

-Brad

hollora
10-30-2007, 09:33 PM
I certainly am not an expert on the bountries here, but, if in fact the Alagash Stash II cache was near John's Bridge as indicated and also near Northern Maine Woods Virtual #7 - that is a long way (as one road had been discontinued) beyond the sign which says you are leaving the Allagash Wilderness Waterway (Northern Maine Woods Virtual #5). I do not see the relevance one upon another in relationship and the "sensitivity of that particular area in question" as they are miles apart.

Perhaps the cache owner just chose to archive them both together and one had no bearing upon another. I do think it would be prudent to verify the facts before placing another cache.

GPSFun does have a daunting job to figure out what is correct and what is not. Brad, also, has to rely on the description and portrayal of the placement by the cache placer in doing his assesment of the placements. To try and mentally file (or even in a database stockpile) all the dos and don'ts in many states is an unbelievable job.......for a volunteer. I applaund him on his efforts.

We are a great community and I am sure there will be a resolve to helping folks enjoy and Geocache in this area of the state soon.

brdad
10-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Haffy, is this documented anywhere or is it just word of mouth?

-Brad

At the time the caches in question I do not believe this was any official sort of decision. But it was in the early states of caching, and I think whoever made the decision made so quickly and I have witnessed this cache owner archive other caches quickly when he was concerned that it might cause problems, which is not a bad thing.

The online rules of the Allagash (http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/programs/history/allagash/allagashrules.htm) do not mention Geocaches specifically.

The clause some governing bodies say Geocaches fall under is:

3.6. LITTER/REMOVAL OF WASTE
A. All refuse, with the exception of paper goods that are burned, must be removed from the Waterway.
B. The discharging of wastes of any kind, including, but not limited to soaps and detergents, in the waters of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway is prohibited.

Anyway, perhaps this is a good project for the site - to get an official decision on this, one way or the other.

brdad
10-31-2007, 05:44 AM
I certainly am not an expert on the bountries here, but, if in fact the Alagash Stash II cache was near John's Bridge as indicated and also near Northern Maine Woods Virtual #7 - that is a long way (as one road had been discontinued) beyond the sign which says you are leaving the Allagash Wilderness Waterway (Northern Maine Woods Virtual #5). I do not see the relevance one upon another in relationship and the "sensitivity of that particular area in question" as they are miles apart.

If you look at the rules I posted in the last post, John's Bridge would fall into the AWW area.

However, there are areas on Map 55 which would be outside of that defined area, but could still be in an area that may be off limits.

WhereRWe?
10-31-2007, 07:49 AM
What blew me away this weekend is on the roads we traveled (and paid a fee), the lack of Maine vehicles - oh there were a few - but there were more from out of State. How could the folks owning the gate complain? -- $5 per head unless you are a Senior or under I think it was 12....... And should something happen they have everything on you by License plate number. I didn't even give them my name and they called me by name. Even in them thar woods big brother or someone is watching!

Sheesh, Beck! It's hunting season! Of course the woods are going to be full of people "from away". LOL! On Saturday they were probably complaining - as usual - about it being "Mainers only" day, and on Sunday, they were scouting for that BIG buck. ;) ;)

firefighterjake
10-31-2007, 08:17 AM
Hmmmm . . . looks like I won't be finishing the DeLorme Challenge. :(

hollora
10-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Sheesh, Beck! It's hunting season! Of course the woods are going to be full of people "from away". LOL! On Saturday they were probably complaining - as usual - about it being "Mainers only" day, and on Sunday, they were scouting for that BIG buck. ;) ;)
I'm Lois - daughter is Beck LOL! Oh yeah - they were scouting. And they should know they are our guests in the North country.......heee:eek:

Sudonim
10-31-2007, 09:37 AM
The ice caves on Allagash Lake are part of the "Unique Natural Areas" on the DeLorme's Atlas. If an earthcache was placed there, there would be nothing physical at the site. They can't argue that hordes of cachers will defile the area, it's hard to get to, and already publicly listed on the Atlas for people to visit.
It certainly wouldn't be the 'drive-by' that the former virtual was, but it would serve as a map 55 cache.

tat
10-31-2007, 10:49 AM
The ice caves on Allagash Lake are part of the "Unique Natural Areas" on the DeLorme's Atlas. If an earthcache was placed there, there would be nothing physical at the site...

Good point, Sudonim.

I think the EarthCache program is exactly the kind of activity that is consistant with the directive that the voters demanded in the 1966 referendum that established the AWW. The ice caves are also a perfect fit for the EarthCache program.

Anyone up for a 24 mile round trip hike/boat expedition?

Update: This may be as little as an 8 mile round trip. Anyone up for that?

yerpso2
10-31-2007, 02:14 PM
is im fond of great pond up for adoption? i would love to adopt it but dont know the GC####?????its not listed anymore....thanks

brdad
10-31-2007, 02:33 PM
is im fond of great pond up for adoption? i would love to adopt it but dont know the GC####?????its not listed anymore....thanks

I'm Fond of Great Pond (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=02d1b338-7faa-4540-b9a8-267acdc7a7fa) (GCGD3V) by AA1YB & N1NJB (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=29325) (2/3)

The cache has been archived, so you could freely place a new cache there. It is a worthy location. If you do, you may want to make sure the old cache has been removed.

Hiram357
10-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Good point, Sudonim.

I think the EarthCache program is exactly the kind of activity that is consistant with the directive that the voters demanded in the 1966 referendum that established the AWW. The ice caves are also a perfect fit for the EarthCache program.

**Raises both hands!!**

hollora
10-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Good point, Sudonim.

Good points TAT and Sudonim - EarthCaches would do it - one thing to remember - to publish Earthcaches you need to reference who owns the land, a person and phone number of someone who gives you permission to publish the cache.

That might be an interesting loop to jump through in that area.

tat
10-31-2007, 06:59 PM
I have requested to adopt some of the caches because I really enjoyed some of them and because they are so important as examples of early caches in Maine. If anyone else wants to adopt, please let me or aa1yb know.

Sudonim
10-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Good points TAT and Sudonim - EarthCaches would do it - one thing to remember - to publish Earthcaches you need to reference who owns the land, a person and phone number of someone who gives you permission to publish the cache.

That might be an interesting loop to jump through in that area.

If the lands are open to the public and you don't put a physical cache on the land or mark/change the land in any way, why would you need to seek landowner permission? I could be traveling there to see the DeLorme's reference, or heard about the caves from a friend and would be free to go there. Isn't this just a different source of referral to a cool spot that's already open to the public?
If it is written into the GC rules, than I understand, but is it posted somewhere?

tat
10-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Guideline #6 EarthCache sites developed on private and public land must have prior approval of the landowners before submission.

http://www.earthcache.org/ click on Submital Guidelines

Sudonim
10-31-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm still not sure how visiting a spot to log an earthcache differs from any other visit to the same spot, but it IS in the rules, so I'll shush now :)

hollora
10-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks TAT for referencing that rule. Agreed Andy, it is a bit odd but a rule.

I went round and round with the Gentleman from DOT - on the one I just published. He kept telling me it was a "public road and right of way and you don't need permission". Then I pointed out the Authorized User sign, he mellowed.

Tat, I emailed aa1yb about Stonehouse Blues as it is close to me. He/she said I could have that one but they have not done the adoption piece yet. I know Cache Maine has also emailed and is interested. They have not gotten back to her yet.

This will surely be a process. I believe a lot of those caches are worth saving and TAT is right they are some of the earlier caches.

brdad
10-31-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm still not sure how visiting a spot to log an earthcache differs from any other visit to the same spot, but it IS in the rules, so I'll shush now :)

It differs in the fact that Earthcache.org is a separate site.

Geocaching.com does not care so much about having permission for an earthcache, they only require that the cache is approved by earthcache.org. But, you can't do that without permission.

brdad
11-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Many people are forgetting there are virtuals that are still allowed at Geocaching.com. That would be the stages of a multi. It would be relatively easy to create a multi that got you through the AWW via virtual stages with a final which was in a permitted area.

At that point, we'd have to verify that that would meet the requirements for the Delorme Challenge. Is Team Teebow here?

Mainiac1957
11-01-2007, 06:25 AM
I think it's the posted coords that have to be in the map for it to count. At least that's what I understand. Map 55 is a big area. It's not all AWW. Someone will just have to find an appropriate spot for a physical cache. It's not impossible.

brdad
11-01-2007, 06:31 AM
The posted coords would be the virtual stage - you could do a multi at each map. But, your way works, too. ;)

Mainiac1957
11-01-2007, 06:36 AM
You are most correct. I believe GC.com calls that an offset cache. Dopey me!! My "Brewer by the Numbers" is one.

Sudonim
11-01-2007, 12:05 PM
An offset cache could work.
Example: Start at John's bridge (coords for the cache are posted at the bridge)
Count the posts in the guard rail on the bridge, travel that number in hundreds of feet east (to land off page 55), there is the cache.
That would have a cache physically present on page 56, but the cache posting is on 55.

hollora
11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
An offset cache could work.
Example: Start at John's bridge (coords for the cache are posted at the bridge)
Count the posts in the guard rail on the bridge, travel that number in hundreds of feet east (to land off page 55), there is the cache.
That would have a cache physically present on page 56, but the cache posting is on 55.

Ah, hem, guard rail. You don't know what it took for me to drive across this bridge! All the time imaging that poor, wet woodsworker standing there with the van on the bottom holding his buddies. Scarrryyyy!

Oh, back on track - yes, there are some ways to do it. My son has been looking at the topos and saying, "Mom, this can be done!". If anyone is going to do a run up and wants a hand bgrffdave might be willing.

Wonder if this comes under the "4. If a page does not have a cache located within it's boundaries one must be placed (Micro's will be strongly discouraged!). Placement of a cache on a DeLorme Atlas page counts the same as finding a cache on that page. If you choose to do this, however, you are responsible for meeting all approval and maintenance criteria with Geocaching.com. ***See note below for "EXEMPT" pages." for the DeLorme Challenge now that the original caches are gone?

Team Teebow is busy with deer season - oh my!

Cache Maine
11-02-2007, 09:20 PM
This might be a great time to update our chart of "Geotrash" (caches that are now archived, and it is unknown if the container has been removed or not.) I know we now have some containers out there that I assume will need to be retrieved. Let's get it done. :)

brdad
11-03-2007, 06:04 AM
This might be a great time to update our chart of "Geotrash" (caches that are now archived, and it is unknown if the container has been removed or not.) I know we now have some containers out there that I assume will need to be retrieved. Let's get it done. :)

I was wondering that. I am not convinced the owner of the recent archived caches retrieved them, and it would be a shame for them to be left there.

tat
11-03-2007, 07:40 AM
I am trying to adopt some of them, so please hold off for a little while :)

Cache Maine
11-03-2007, 07:49 AM
I am trying to adopt some of them, so please hold off for a little while :)

Hey Tat, you should vote in my new poll! "How long do you have to wait?" he he heh

Mainepod
11-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi all,
We are moving overseas for a year. Today we visited two of our 5 caches, and uplifted and archived them. They have seen very little activity over the past year. Another two are "vacation" caches on Swans Island, and we will archive them only if they appear to have gone missing, or if they get wet or vandalized. We do have a local contact person on the island who will visit them if need be.

Which leaves one remaining active cache: Pirate's Plunder - a small cache at Simpson's Point in Brunswick. The cache continues to get a fair amount of activity, and despite its hiding place practically on the beach, it has weathered many a storm and has never been muggled (fingers crossed!!). Does anyone want to adopt it?

WhereRWe?
11-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi all,
We are moving overseas for a year.

Where are you going? Are there a lot of geocaches there? Will you have a spare bedroom? ;) ;)