View Full Version : 2008 Geocaching Maine Geocoin

brdad
10-31-2007, 08:44 PM
This was discussed in chat tonight, and the earlier we start the better, if we want to.

So, simple question - Should there be a 2008 Geocaching Maine Geocoin?

hollora
10-31-2007, 08:49 PM
YES! Although we skipped a year (right?) I think there should be one next year.

Missed chat - oh my, I am such a ditz!

tat
10-31-2007, 09:19 PM
YES! Although we skipped a year (right?) I think there should be one next year.

Missed chat - oh my, I am such a ditz!

Actually, we skipped 2006.

hollora
10-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Yes - that was last year....

attroll
10-31-2007, 11:50 PM
This was discussed in chat tonight, and the earlier we start the better, if we want to.

This is a good example of the downfalls of having a chat room.
Things get discussed in the chat room but the rest of the geocachers that are not in the chat room or have no desire to go to the chat room never know what gets discussed. This means a lot of things gets discussed but many people miss out on those things. This is one of the reasons I was against the chat room.

brdad
11-01-2007, 05:52 AM
This is a good example of the downfalls of having a chat room.
Things get discussed in the chat room but the rest of the geocachers that are not in the chat room or have no desire to go to the chat room never know what gets discussed. This means a lot of things gets discussed but many people miss out on those things. This is one of the reasons I was against the chat room.

That's why I posted here. Very little was discussed, in fact. Someone mentioned this years coin, and then someone asked if we wanted a 2008 coin. So I said, why not make a poll.. and someone suggested just asking. Does it really matter if it's chat or if we meet at a bar or at an event and talk unofficially about caching related things? I've missed out on a ton of events this year, and sure I have missed conversations about many caching topics. The chat room is a place for casual caching talk, just like most events and unorganized get-togethers.

Fortunately, for anyone that feels they missed out, I have logs of the conversation. Here is all that was mentioned about the coin:
(Off topic posts have been removed and names have been changed to protect the innocent. If anyone wants a full transcript of the evening, let me know)

[20:31] <CacherThree> I have a question concerning out new 2007 Maine Geocoin.....
[20:32] <CacherOne> ask away
[20:32] <CacherThree> why is the Paul Bunyan not in color, and, why does it have Northern Maine inprinted
[20:33] <CacherFive> they didn't want to offend other nationalities and colors
[20:33] <CacherTwo> good questions
[20:33] <CacherThree> What????
[20:33] <CacherTwo> there was a lot of discussion on the site prior to minting the coin
[20:33] <CacherThree> you have to be kidding
[20:34] <CacherOne> I think that's the way it was decided
[20:34] <CacherFive> yup
[20:34] <CacherThree> Anyway, I like the coin overall....
[20:34] <CacherOne> a lot of it was rushed. I think if we're going to have a 2008 coin, it should be started sooner
[20:34] <CacherThree> I agree
[20:35] <CacherThree> did we not have a 2006 coin??
[20:35] <CacherTwo> I don't think it was rushed, in fact, I think it took too long.
[20:35] <CacherOne> we missed 2006
[20:35] <CacherThree> ok
[20:35] <CacherTwo> the 2007 coin started as the 2006 coin
[20:35] <CacherOne> yes, it took too long, then was ruished at the end
[20:35] <CacherTwo> it just took that long
[20:35] <CacherThree> I see
[20:36] <CacherTwo> the best way to see what happened is to read the posts
[20:36] <CacherThree> have you seen the Newfoundland Geocoin??
[20:36] <CacherTwo> the whole coin design and every decision along the way was done in posts
[20:36] <CacherTwo> nopw
[20:36] <CacherTwo> nope
[20:36] <CacherOne> nope
[20:36] <CacherThree> very lovely
[20:37] <CacherThree> polished nickel and beautiful pastel colors
[20:37] <CacherTwo> do you think we should have a 2008 coin?
[20:38] <CacherThree> Ghee, I am not sure
[20:38] <CacherThree> what do you think
[20:39] <CacherOne> I think the site should be asked
[20:39] <CacherThree> yes
[20:39] <CacherThree> I agree
[20:39] <CacherOne> I don't think they are as popular now, everyone has them.
[20:39] <CacherOne> but, they do promote the site to some degree.
[20:39] <CacherTwo> but, you're right, everyone should get a chance to help decide
[20:40] <CacherThree> yes, I believe in that...
[20:40] <CacherOne> maybe i'll post a poll
[20:40] <CacherThree> Good Idea
[20:40] <CacherTwo> I think the biggest problem last time was that not everyone paid much attention along the way
[20:41] <CacherTwo> it wasn
[20:41] <CacherTwo> it wasn't as controversial as 2005
[20:41] <CacherThree> At least this coin (2007) is trackable on geocaching.com, and, I like that...
[20:41] <CacherTwo> so do I!
[20:41] <CacherThree> I am a believer in geocaching.com
[20:41] <CacherTwo> even if people do tend to take them and keep them
[20:42] <CacherThree> yes, that is right, CacherTwo
[20:42] <CacherTwo> I bought a bunch to put in circulation
[20:42] <CacherTwo> hope that some make it, but if not, I'm not too worried
[20:43] <CacherThree> I love geocoins, and, would like to have one from every state some day
[20:43] <CacherTwo> just go to geowoodstock 6
[20:43] <CacherTwo> :)
[20:43] <CacherThree> Oh, Ok!
[20:44] <CacherThree> I'll check it out
[20:44] <CacherTwo> CacherSix went out with the coiners for an all night trading session
[20:45] <CacherOne> how long will I make the poll for? 1 month?
[20:45] <CacherTwo> I think you should start a discussion thread before starting a poll
[20:45] <CacherThree> should not take longer than that, do you agree??
[20:45] <CacherTwo> if you start a poll and then vote, it gets all messed up
[20:46] <CacherOne> do we need to dicsuss do you want one or not want one?
[20:46] <CacherTwo> I mean if you vote and then discuss it gets all messed up
[20:46] <CacherTwo> no, I mean you should post a discussion thread for people to discuss if we want a 2008 coin,
[20:47] <CacherTwo> then post a poll after say a month of disscussion
[20:47] <CacherTwo> then, let the poll stay open for a few weeks or so
[20:47] <CacherOne> ok
[20:48] <CacherThree> sounds reasonable....
[20:49] <CacherThree> then.....
[20:49] <CacherTwo> as much as I want a 2008 coin, there are some that don't think it is good to have a coin every year
[20:49] <CacherThree> comes the long drawn out process of just what we want the coin to look like, LOL
[20:49] <CacherTwo> it's better to listen to both sides before casting a vote
[20:49] <CacherTwo> I like the idea of using a contest like the first coin
[20:50] <CacherTwo> of course, unless people actually take the time and get creative, there's not much of a contest
[20:50] <CacherThree> lol
[20:51] <CacherOne> sheesh. if I didn't know better, I'd say CacherFour replied before I posted
[20:51] <CacherTwo> wow!
[20:51] <CacherThree> I am really disappointed in Paul Bunyan not have a red shirt, though, LOL
[20:52] <CacherOne> Oh I see why - I posted twice!
[20:52] <CacherTwo> ooops, 1 vote, no discussion!
[20:53] <CacherThree> I did not think one could vote more than once
[20:53] <CacherThree> could not vote more than once, that is!!
[20:53] <CacherTwo> CacherOne posted a pole and a thread, I think he meant to just post a thread
[20:53] <CacherTwo> you can only vote once and you cannot change your mind
[20:53] <CacherOne> I was in the process of posting a poll, then exited - but it posted anyhow
[20:54] <CacherThree> Oh, I see
[20:54] <CacherTwo> I did that on ebay yesterday, now I have to wait 2 weeks to get my phone fixed
[20:54] <CacherTwo> :(

Mainiac1957
11-01-2007, 06:34 AM
the question of a 2008 coin brought up now. Andy did such a good job again on the 2007 issue. I'm in favor of a 2008 coin. No matter who is in charge of making it happen.:rolleyes: Andy, I'm there to help again on the next one. You know you can count on me.;) The only hard part is getting folks together on design.

Cache Maine
11-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Someone in our caching circle mentioned recently how Mainers cache all year round, regardless of weather. Maybe a winter themed coin would be nice. It is true...we have a big obstacle with snow, but I know it doesn't stop us from doing what we do best. I wonder if they can do a liquid free "snow globe" coin? You know, shake it and the snow floats around?

dí76
11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Someone in our caching circle mentioned recently how Mainers cache all year round, regardless of weather. Maybe a winter themed coin would be nice. It is true...we have a big obstacle with snow, but I know it doesn't stop us from doing what we do best. I wonder if they can do a liquid free "snow globe" coin? You know, shake it and the snow floats around?

Winter theme sounds awesome!!!!

tat
11-01-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm in favor of having a coin every year, but I've heard some good points in the past and want to pass them along here:

1. A coin every other year may be more popular than one every year.

2. The last coin did not sell very well compared to the first coin. Is the market for coins reached it peak or has it slowed too much?

WhereRWe?
11-01-2007, 09:09 AM

To answer the question, YES!

(And discussing something in "chat" is no different than a couple of people meeting on the street and bringing up the subject. As long as it gets brought up in the open forums...)

hollora
11-01-2007, 10:44 AM
When something comes from chat to the forums it is good. BRDad did a great job of posting the transcript. I personally do not think the lack of sales for coin #2 was due to lack of popularity. I am one of the ones who would have missed ordering completely had it not been for a friend. The winter theme sounds cool and an innovative design would sell. Look at the stained glass ones from Geowoodstock and others that have followed. JMHO (Just my humble opinion.)

Sudonim
11-01-2007, 12:42 PM
The last coin did not sell very well compared to the first coin. Is the market for coins reached it peak or has it slowed too much?

The 2007 coin sold about 1/4 of what the 2005 coin sold. I think there are a couple of reasons.
When the '05 coin hit the market, the coin frenzy was really heating up. We put out a non-trackable coin (read cheap) and sold over 2000 of them.
In '07 the frenzy had subsided to a steady pace. People are more discriminating on exactly what coins they buy. Some won't buy personal coins anymore, just state, or just trackable, or just animal pictures, or whatever. In '05 you could put out a coin honoring sea-gull droppings and sell 500!
I think the '07 coin shows a more reasonable quantity with a mature market.

I like the winter theme idea. I don't know how practical (affordable) a snowglobe is (but it IS cool), maybe a snowflake? How about a "Maine Caching/ Four Seasons" with a snowshoe shaped coin?
I'm up for an '08 coin. I don't plan on getting married again, so that time pressure is off:p

Cache Maine
11-01-2007, 01:00 PM
A four season/winter snowflake type coin has already been produced.
http://www.cointracking.com/view_series.php?sid=612

I don't recall ever seeing a snowshoe though. We need to raise the bar for 2008! I agree, the snowglobe is probably pushing it a little... :)

brdad
11-01-2007, 01:30 PM
We could have the coins shipped via my ex-wife's house and they'd stay frosty for years! :D

Sorry - back on topic. Should we have a coin for 2008 or not?

Hiram357
11-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I like the winter theme idea. I don't know how practical (affordable) a snowglobe is (but it IS cool), maybe a snowflake? How about a "Maine Caching/ Four Seasons" with a snowshoe shaped coin?
I'm up for an '08 coin. I don't plan on getting married again, so that time pressure is off:p

I like the snowshoe idea, I'd buy one of those (I like the unique coins)

getting married is overrated anyways.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We could have the coins shipped via my ex-wife's house and they'd stay frosty for years! :D

ouch! I felt that one from here! :D

hollora
11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Snowshoe especially cool if you could get a shaped coin. The number could go on the tail.

Mainiac1957
11-01-2007, 04:45 PM
A snowshoe shaped winter coin sounds great. Anything winter themed sounds good.

Sudonim
11-01-2007, 05:01 PM
A snowshoe shaped winter coin sounds great.

And people would have to buy them in pairs, doubling sales:rolleyes:

hollora
11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Maybe they should be strapped together like the handcuffs!

brdad
11-13-2007, 07:29 AM
I think we want to progress with the coin, we should keep the discussion going. Perhaps some of those that haven't posted can give their reasons why we should or should not have a coin for 2008?

Haffy
11-13-2007, 07:30 PM
I think the snowshoe coin idea is a great one!!!. I also think the lack of sales for the coin this year was slow was because I didn't even know about it til the week was almost up. I didn't even see it mentioned on this site and don't always look at the GC site for days on end sometimes. I think a lot of members here didn't realize the date was upon us as well. That's just my thoughts anyway.

So back to the "08" coin idea. I love the snowshoes and maybe have a coin made like a pair of them side by side. Wish I was good at photoshopping,I'd whip something up. Some thoughts to ponder on anyway.

Just did a quick look around and found some photos of snowshoes here: http://jumaka.com/snowshoes/

And here: http://www.umaine.edu/hudsonmuseum/Online%20Exhibits/Snowshoes/maine.php This is a great site to learn about Maine indians and their snowshoe making prowess.

WhereRWe?
11-13-2007, 08:35 PM
So back to the "08" coin idea. I love the snowshoes and maybe have a coin made like a pair of them side by side. Wish I was good at photoshopping,I'd whip something up. Some thoughts to ponder on anyway.

I really like the idea of the two attached snowshoes as well. Is this cost prohibitive, though? :confused: :confused:

hollora
11-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Maine snowshoes please- a pair side by side would be nice (more space). Another feature might be home of Eastern Most Cache in the US.

Agree with Haffy - although it may have been on GCM for a while - I bet a lot didn't notice it until late if at all. Ditto on the GC site - I seldom go to the forums unless I am looking for something special.

Andy did a great job and had a lot at the last minute. I know he had some shipping helpers and perhaps next year marketing help would increase sales.

Developing a coin is not easy and we are very lucky two have been done with few problems.

We should check off simple things first:

Trackable - yes or no (my vote is yes)

Unique Icon - yes or no (my vote yes and different from this year)

WhereRWe?
11-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Maine snowshoes please- a pair side by side would be nice (more space). Another feature might be home of Eastern Most Cache in the US.

Unless I'm mistaken, the "Eastern Most Cache in the US (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e57ee990-cea5-47cf-9c54-d315c7db1953)" was placed by a Canadian - Starzz! LOL!

brdad
11-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, the "Eastern Most Cache in the US (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e57ee990-cea5-47cf-9c54-d315c7db1953)" was placed by a Canadian - Starzz! LOL!

That's not quite the easternmost. Doesn't anyone look at my stats page (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats) to verify their posts? :D

Here's the five most easternmost caches, from East to West.

Fundy Tides (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=63b0df25-5359-4c59-8f1d-958d9a883e19) (GC15114) by Northwoods Explorer (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=381878) (3.5/3.5)
Quoddy Quandry (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ada6f11b-e5b7-42c9-b7b5-c6e6668648ec) (GC8A65) by k1br (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=21444) (1.5/1.5)
Carrying Place Cove Bog (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7d674697-10ea-48d6-8515-d34479e53837) (GC13YZA) by Northwoods Explorer (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=381878) (1.5/3.5)
Boat Ramp Cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e57ee990-cea5-47cf-9c54-d315c7db1953) (GCKW0Z) by Starzz (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=121967) (1/1)
The "OLD SOW" of the Sea (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=97c7e2be-ae35-4833-8f50-bab733726e04) (GC12YVD) by Northwoods Explorer (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=381878) (1.5/2.5)

WhereRWe?
11-14-2007, 02:19 PM
That's not quite the easternmost. Doesn't anyone look at my stats page (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index.php?page=maine_stats) to verify their posts? :D

Nope.

So I guess that means I was mistaken? :eek: :eek: :o :o

Rpapaman
11-16-2007, 07:58 AM
:)Yes, I would be in favor of a Maine Geocoin for 2008! I would like to be included in the process of creating this coin.

Rpapaman
11-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Would it be possible to change the caption under my GC name to read, 'Senior Member'? Thank you.

al'Thor
11-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Not on topic, but how do you achieve the status of "Senoir Member"?

Sudonim
11-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Not on topic, but how do you achieve the status of "Senoir Member"?

You can use whatever label you want. I used to call me "junior senior member"

Sudonim
11-16-2007, 12:49 PM
To change your profile, click on your picture on the left side of the screen, under "Welcome back ten44ten32"
Then click "Edit Profile"
Scroll down to "Optional Information" and edit the "Custom User Title".
Your new status of "GPS Guru" is now set :)

robt
11-16-2007, 02:37 PM
And people would have to buy them in pairs, doubling sales:rolleyes:

but how do I attach them to my feet? :D

kayakerinme
11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
but how do I attach them to my feet? :D
My first thought was, "Why, with little bindings of course."

But then I thought again and wondered if there could actually be little bindings in a couple of cutouts... that would be unique and distinct! I wonder if that could actually be done? :)

AnglzOfMyHrt
12-06-2007, 07:49 AM
I'd love to collect a new coin from Maine heheheheh
Yes please and when.

parmachenee
12-06-2007, 08:03 AM
A snowshoe shaped winter coin sounds great. Anything winter themed sounds good.

I'm in agreement on this type of coin and theme.:)

gpsfun
12-07-2007, 08:35 AM
A couple of random thoughts - not necessarily suggestions, just thoughts.

1. It is now possible to have a geocoin minted with separate tracking numbers on each side. For an example, see TB1WZ35 and TB1XDT7 which are the two sides of one coin. To get "caught up" you could mint a geocoin with 2006 on one side and 2008 on the other. The uniqueness of such a coin would probably make it a better than average seller.

2. Regarding the comments on chat - the operator of the chat room could capture the text of "official chats" and put links to the text files in a forum thread. I also know of a case where key points from chat sessions are saved in a shorter file for those who prefer not to wade through the entire session conversation.

hollora
12-07-2007, 08:39 AM
A couple of random thoughts - not necessarily suggestions, just thoughts.

1. It is now possible to have a geocoin minted with separate tracking numbers on each side. For an example, see TB1WZ35 and TB1XDT7 which are the two sides of one coin. To get "caught up" you could mint a geocoin with 2006 on one side and 2008 on the other. The uniqueness of such a coin would probably make it a better than average seller.

Great thought Brad - I like it! Wonder if you could do this with the snowshoes..........hummm..interesting.

darterkitfox
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
My limited summer of experience found that some of the tracking items I found weren't logged by the previous person. How are we ever going to get someone to log both sides into new caches when found?

tat
12-07-2007, 10:27 AM
What happens when one side of the coin is in Hawaii and the other side is in Amsterdam?

gpsfun
12-07-2007, 12:37 PM
What happens when one side of the coin is in Hawaii and the other side is in Amsterdam?

They are both terrific places to visit! I don't recommend travel by kayak in either case, however. :D

hollora
12-07-2007, 02:37 PM
My limited summer of experience found that some of the tracking items I found weren't logged by the previous person. How are we ever going to get someone to log both sides into new caches when found?

That does raise an interesting question.

Medawisla
12-11-2007, 08:03 AM
To change your profile, click on your picture on the left side of the screen, under "Welcome back ten44ten32"
Then click "Edit Profile"
Scroll down to "Optional Information" and edit the "Custom User Title".
Your new status of "GPS Guru" is now set

I don't have Custom User Title under anything in my profile. Under Optional Information, I have Home Page URL and Instant Messaging...:confused:

FORUM DERAILED!! :rolleyes: So anyhow, where were we with this 2008 geocoin discussion? SNOWSHOES! :D :cool:

Has anyone taken a crack at a design? Is that our next step? :confused:
I heard a pair of snowshoes side by side. Possibly with one having a tracking number and/or the year 2006 and the other a different tracking number and/or the year 2008.

What's the next step after that Andy? Brad?:confused:

Sudonim
12-11-2007, 09:28 AM
What's the next step after that Andy? Brad?:confused:

Honestly, the design has always been the sticky step. Once that is approved, ordering can start. (Probably SHOULD wait at least until Jan. for the 2008 coin tho...:p )

hollora
12-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Since, I have been working on a coin - I know one sticky wicket which delays things a lot the first of the year is the Chinese New Year. If you don't get things in before mid-January to February - you loose a lot of time. Guess it depends on when in the year you want to get the coin out.

Coins, I am learning, are a lot of work. Thank you to all who have worked on ours in the past (and will in the future).

Cache Maine
12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Did someone say Hollora is working on a coin?

hollora
12-11-2007, 03:35 PM
In cahoots with someone else I know. Heee, heee, he - hoooo, hoo, ho -

Mapachi
01-01-2008, 01:12 PM
The rarer the coin the better. One every couple of years sounds better. We can judge the popularity of Geo-coins and changing trends better. Winter theme sounds great. Some caches that are unavailable to cachers with out water transportation, become available when our waterways freeze over.
I am somewhat talented in graphic arts and maybe able to help. I am semi-retired, so I have alot of free time. (When I'm not geo-caching.)
A design contest, with a prize for the winner maybe?

Haffy
01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
The rarer the coin the better. One every couple of years sounds better. We can judge the popularity of Geo-coins and changing trends better. Winter theme sounds great. Some caches that are unavailable to cachers with out water transportation, become available when our waterways freeze over.
I am somewhat talented in graphic arts and maybe able to help. I am semi-retired, so I have alot of free time. (When I'm not geo-caching.)
A design contest, with a prize for the winner maybe?

Hey Welcome to the site Mapachi. You can use your talents in graphic arts anyway you wish. We are always looking for new design concepts for the coins and other things we do around here. A banner for our events that take place is another place we need to consider for a design so go for it. Of course I'm way down here in SC and don't get to have much personal input on things but still consider this place and the people here my geocaching family. Glad to have you aboard.

dubord207
01-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Being a newbie and not having found a Maine Goecoin yet, I was thinkign what a "non-Mainer" might like in a Maine coin. Well it won't be Baldacci on the front and Susan Gendron on the back but how about a coin shaped like the State of Maine with a hiker in snowshoes on one side and Stephen King chopping down a pine tree on the other? I'll keep trying, but I'm sure I can come up with something!?!:cool:

WhereRWe?
01-11-2008, 09:11 AM
how about a coin shaped like the State of Maine with a hiker in snowshoes on one side and Stephen King chopping down a pine tree on the other? I'll keep trying, but I'm sure I can come up with something!?!:cool:

Sheesh! Can't we do better for a "Maine personality" than Stephen King? LOL!

Louie the Lobster? Maurice the Moose? Anything? ;) ;)

Sheesh! I'd rather have Angus King! ;) ;)

Medawisla
01-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Sheesh! Can't we do better for a "Maine personality" than Stephen King? LOL!

Louie the Lobster? Maurice the Moose? Anything? ;) ;)

Sheesh! I'd rather have Angus King! ;) ;)

I was wondering if it was a joke...but I didn't want to pick on them...:o
I love Maurice the Moose, but I think the simpler the better.:p The 2005 coin has a lighthouse on it, it's round in shape. I can't remember the 2007 coin...:confused:

hollora
01-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Another round - with Paul Bunyan, a mountain, lake and moose...........

gpsforester
01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I Like the snowshoes idea for one side and a snow covered White Pine on the reverse...

Medawisla
01-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I Like the snowshoes idea for one side and a snow covered White Pine on the reverse...

That's a nice idea too!:cool:
Sudy are you coming to Karen's event?:confused: Maybe we can talk coins then?:p

Sudonim
01-22-2008, 08:15 PM
That's a nice idea too!:cool:
Sudy are you coming to Karen's event?:confused: Maybe we can talk coins then?:p

Can't make that one. I work on Sat and still have to finish doing inventory. If it was on a Sunday....

Medawisla
01-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Can't make that one. I work on Sat and still have to finish doing inventory. If it was on a Sunday....

It is on Sunday!! The 27th! :D:cool:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f7095202-39d3-4c39-8573-47d161e0c3eb

...so see you there? :confused:

Sudonim
01-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Well, you got me on that one :D
I'll see you there (and K too)

Medawisla
01-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Well, you got me on that one :D
I'll see you there (and K too)

YEH! tehehehe:D:D:D

BuffaloBill2
01-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Lighthouse themed coins sell better. I think a lot of people collect certain coins, lighthouses, trains, bridges, states. Everyone is making a coin now. Check out the new Maryland Crab put out by the Maryland Geocaching Society. I would like to see a new Maine coin. I also know I have cut my coin collecting way back. I havent bought a coin in months except for Maine and Maryland.

EMSDanel
01-25-2008, 06:33 PM
I vote for a 2008 Maine coin. It appears many states have an annual coin.... I especially like the Wisconsin coins....stunning.

hide_from_the_kids
02-05-2008, 08:19 AM
I love the idea of the Maine shaped coin as well as the idea of a winter coin.

EMSDanel
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Just another comment: I've shown my 2007 Maine coin to several out-of-staters and every single one of them said "So, where's the lobster?" I too like the snowshoes, but I'm just saying that it's interesting that, to date, no lobsters. When the world thinks of Maine they think lobsters. Ever seen a lobster on a coin? Maybe we could have a lobster with a snowshoe at the end of each of it's little legs. Just kidding....

Mapachi
02-06-2008, 12:00 AM
A Maine Black Fly coin!

Mapachi
02-06-2008, 12:01 AM
With a "Skidda" on the back

Sudonim
02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I wonder if we can design a coin that has crossed snowshoes on 1 side, but the reverse looks like the 2 lobes of a lobster claw?
summer and winter caching...

Haffy
02-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Now we are really getting out there......:eek:

tat
02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
I wonder if we can design a coin that has crossed snowshoes on 1 side, but the reverse looks like the 2 lobes of a lobster claw?
summer and winter caching...

Wow! That could work!!

Mainiac1957
02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I like the concept. After all they are roughly the same shape, right. Might cost a little more, but with good marketing we could sell a bunch. I guess a call to Tess wouldn't hurt. Or a call to Hogwild too for that matter.

hollora
02-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Are you all talking a round coin or a unique shaped coin? Just wondering.....

Team Richards
02-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I like the snowshoe lobster idea in the shape of the crossed shoes. Very cool

hollora
02-06-2008, 08:26 PM
I like the snowshoe lobster idea in the shape of the crossed shoes. Very cool

Yes and very unique which is what folks seem to be seeking. :D

Medawisla
02-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I agree with this snowshoe/lobster coin, sounds awesome! Great thinking everyone! :cool:

Dr Who
02-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Nice idea, should it also be a Maine coin? Any artists want to work up a proof?

Medawisla
02-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Nice idea, should it also be a Maine coin? Any artists want to work up a proof?

Great start there Dr Who! (and yes this is the 2008 Maine coin) :D:p

Haffy
02-08-2008, 09:08 AM
You know that mock up would almost work with the outline of both the lobster and the snow shoes. Who would have thought? :D Winter in Maine and summer in Maine,I think it would work.

attroll
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
I have been meaning to get around to working on a coin image for this but I have just been to busy. I just threw something together to get some feedback on this. What does everyone think. Feedback is welcome.
One is a combination and the two would be the front of the coin and the back of the coin.

bmeserve
02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
I like the idea of having a maine outline behind it...making it unique! But that's JMO I like the one by Dr. Who I think....that same concept

attroll
02-08-2008, 03:45 PM
I like the idea of having a maine outline behind it...making it unique! But that's JMO I like the one by Dr. Who I think....that same concept
I can do Maine in the background but I think everyone wanted a different shaped coin and something unique. All our past coind have had our Maine logo on the front.

Another option would be to make the shape of the coin the shape of Maine and do soming like this.

tat
02-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I looked at Dr. Who's coin a little closer. Did anyone else notice it might also be used to open soda bottles too, if it were just the right size?

Team Richards
02-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Wow if that isn't a selling feature I don't know what is, a coin that doubles as a bottle opener. Most soda bottles are twist off now, but some other beverages aren't.

Medawisla
02-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I like the detail of the snowshoes Attroll posted, but I like the shape/layout that Dr. Who posted.:cool: I think we'll need the detail for the snowshoes so that they are obviously snowshoes...otherwise they may not look like snowshoes...:confused:

I like the unique shape of a snowshoe/lobster coin (not round or Maine shaped), and it probably would say on it 2008 Maine Coin (so the Maine would be there). :)

attroll
02-10-2008, 02:12 AM
I started playing around with another 2008 design after seeing DR Who's inputs.

This one hase several ideas
1. Snowshoes on front
2. Lobster on back
3. Also heart shaped

Note: The lobster could also be the front and the snowshoes could be the back.

Kacky
02-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Why can't I see the thumbnails? I can see Dr. Who's design if I go into the photo albums but can't see Rick's at all.:confused:

attroll
02-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Why can't I see the thumbnails? I can see Dr. Who's design if I go into the photo albums but can't see Rick's at all.:confused:
I bet your using Fire Fox for a browser right? You probably have a setting disabled. I jsut added it to the gallery.
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2405&cat=511

Medawisla
02-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I like that layout Rick, it gets all the info on there.:):cool:

Kacky, I don't know, I see the thumnails just fine...:confused:

Kacky
02-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Yah, it's Firefox. I'll view it in IE if you add any more thumbnails. I like them both, but if you do the heart shape, maybe the lobster claws could be distorted so his body is still there but the the claws take up the whole space at the top. Or you could go back to a 1-sided design and have the lobster on top of the crossed snowshoes, with the claws exaggerated.

bmeserve
02-10-2008, 06:46 PM
I like the heart one!

Opalsns
03-15-2008, 05:48 PM
When Will the 2008 coin be coming out?

Haffy
03-15-2008, 08:10 PM
When we can get together some talented graphic artists to put together a good rendition of what if will look like. Are you talented?

Opalsns
03-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Yes. Everyone has talent, but I paint and draw, etc...
Rick might have it figured out with That cool design! If you,
( JUST A SUGGESTION), are not too set on the heart shape, it would give you more rein on the design. Although the heart is also cool.

attroll
03-16-2008, 01:18 AM
I have put together a couple ideas of what people have suggested but I don't know what it will take to get it moving forward or maybe no one is happy with the ideas put together yet.

Foxgloves
03-16-2008, 07:46 AM
I have put together a couple ideas of what people have suggested.......

I looked at the photo you posted Rick....
Just an idea....but...

what if you somehow incorporated a lobster trap behind the lobster that would somehow take on the look of the webbing of the snowshoe? It might tie it all together and break up some of the white background...
I think the webbing of the snowshoe and lobster trap could actually be incorporated into eachother...if you space the slats out just right. I can visualize it but I just can't explain it....:confused:

Maybe an artist like Opalsns could help and sketch it out...;)

Foxgloves
03-16-2008, 08:21 AM
another idea...after looking at the picture on the photo gallery again.

What if you placed (instead) a smaller lobster headed into the opening at the toe of the snowshoe... making it look like he is headed into the trap..
the hole at the tip of the snowshoe does sort of resemble an opening into a lobster trap doesn't it or is it just my overactive imagination? :p

these are just ideas.....
carry on.....;)

Opalsns
03-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure, and it depends on how thw coin makers die comes out, but I think trying to put the snow shoe and trap together might make it look jumbled!. I kinda like Dan's Idea of the Lobster wearing the snow shoe, LOL!
Hey Rick, How about trying, Lobster on trap for one side and snow show next to ammo can On the other?

Opalsns
03-16-2008, 10:16 AM
How about something in the idea of these??

attroll
03-16-2008, 01:21 PM
How about something in the idea of these??
But what shape would the coin be then?

Katadin Goddess
03-16-2008, 03:40 PM
i like finding coins and travel bugs and moving them along. however, i wont spend the money on them anymore.

Opalsns
03-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Rick,
I have a square coin, (Happy Cache-o-Ween) and BubbaBass has an oval coin(Cache of the Day) .Those shapes are cool , but if it is to be a shape like a heart, The way you have it is cool. How about putting a coin in one claw and a TB in the other claw and that would fill up the heart shape. Even Kacky's Idea of two huge claws is good.
In the end the coin maker would do what they could to fit it in the die cut that's chosen.
opalsns

Team Richards
03-16-2008, 04:59 PM
I really like the coin shaped like the state. Dr Who had a couple of good ideas back a few pages.

Opalsns
03-16-2008, 07:39 PM
That's cool Too!!!They could fit all the suggestions on that also!!!
I'll get the coin no matter how it comes out. I've got the 2007.
I'll get in the drawing/creation mx for the 2009 coin.
I think in the final outcome the coin maker will figure it out and let the board or whoever is ordering, know what they can do with the artwork. I really like ALL the ideas. Keep up the good work ,everyone and get us a coin made!!!!LOL!!
Opalsns

Mapachi
04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Does anyone realize we have been talking about this since LAST OCTOBER!? We should be planning the 2009 coin now!

attroll
04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I have made a few sketches from what others have suggested and posted them but maybe they were not what people wanted. I don't know what else to do.

hollora
04-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Does anyone realize we have been talking about this since LAST OCTOBER!? We should be planning the 2009 coin now!

I was not around for the first coin - but was for the one which recently came out. This web site has loads of members, lots of ideas and opinions. It toolk a long time here - and the companies don't do them at the drop of a hat.

Attroll is only the facilitator to keep this web site rolling. The Board and Sudonium (who has been entrusted to handle the business end of the coin) facilitate the coin along. Despite all the discussion - I do not see that there is agreement on a design but that's just my take on it.

Yes, this coin has been discussed for over 6 months - and if there is going to be one coming out from GCM.org for 2008 it should be moving along. There is a lot to making a coin - the least of which is finances.

The question to me is - has a consensus been reached on what to send off to a company to receive final art work for a coin and to get a quote? That is the first step ~ which as we can see ~ can be lengthy!

brdad
04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Moving along is a great thing, but many people missed out on helping with the coin last time. That was one of the reasons for creating a newsletter - to get the word out to those that do not visit the site so often as others.

hollora
04-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Moving along is a great thing, but many people missed out on helping with the coin last time. That was one of the reasons for creating a newsletter - to get the word out to those that do not visit the site so often as others.

Agreed. I know how long a coin takes and all the companies are getting deluged right now with the price increases on metals. Everyone is trying to beat the curve. Some are busier than others and some better able to cope with the increase in volume.

Opalsns
04-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Ok,
I agree with all ya'all.
But ,and it's a BIG but, there are ideas out there now. I don't see that anyone has said, "OK, Here are the 2 or 3 ideas for a coin that the board or whoever has agreed on, NOW VOTE!!!!" I don't mean on the Photo Gallery Page, I mean on an actual thread. Another thing is cost. The people who want the coin will be paying for it ,Correct ? Or does someone end up stuck with too many coins?
It'll probabally cost more for a shaped coin than a round one, right?
Maybe it would be an idea to make a, 2008 - 2009 Caching Season Coin.

There are cachers that have had hundreds if not thousands of coins made and one has recently helped me out with a coin, "Situation". I don't know if they are board members or not, but, if they wanted to, they could be like a coin adviser or something.
I'm not wanting any HEATED discussion about this . I am a curious Maine Coin buying, Cacher and I'd like to know.
I like the Lobster Snowshoe coin and the Maine State shaped coin and would purchase either one!
Opalsns

tat
04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
The Board and Sudonium (who has been entrusted to handle the business end of the coin) facilitate the coin along.

In my opinion, the duty of the Advisory Board is to protect the interests of the web site and not run projects. The members run projects. This helps the board provide fair oversight and allow the membership as much freedom as possible.

Sudonim volunteered to manage the first coin project before the advisory board was created. He did such a great job with the first coin, it was easy to accept his offer the second time.

Sudonim
04-06-2008, 09:15 PM
I like the ideas put out so far on the snowshoes and/or lobster on the other side. I'm ready to start putting in artwork to the manufacturer at any time, but like the '07 coin, the sticking point is getting a consensus on the preliminary designs. I'm good with numbers, but nobody has ever accused me of being an artist.

Maybe we can post some design suggestions in the newsletter, or start an artwork themed thread and post a link to it on the newsletter? If people agree that we want a 2008 coin, I'd like to get the ordering process going before the end of summer as my busy season starts up around November and I'd like to have the coins mailed out before then.

Opalsns
04-07-2008, 08:55 AM
How about a design contest? Everyone that wanted to could come up with a final completed design, front and back and and post the image on a thread just for the contest. Give a deadline for entries. Then let Sudonum, Since he's willing to run with this, pick the final 2 designs. Those 2 designs will be posted and given a deadline for voting.
The magic word is DEADLINE !!!! Everyone knows there is a coin coming out and everyone can tell someone etc...
There has to be a time limit or it will run into next year! Unless a 2008 - 2009 Caching season coin was to be made.
I want to say again,... I like all designs I've seen and would buy any of them if it was minted!!
Thanx for listening,
Opalsns

attroll
04-07-2008, 01:23 PM
How about a design contest? Everyone that wanted to could come up with a final completed design, front and back and and post the image on a thread just for the contest. Give a deadline for entries. Then let Sudonum, Since he's willing to run with this, pick the final 2 designs. Those 2 designs will be posted and given a deadline for voting.
The magic word is DEADLINE !!!! Everyone knows there is a coin coming out and everyone can tell someone etc...
There has to be a time limit or it will run into next year! Unless a 2008 - 2009 Caching season coin was to be made.
I want to say again,... I like all designs I've seen and would buy any of them if it was minted!!
Thanx for listening,
Opalsns
I like the idea. I would be afraid that not to many people would contribute to the contest that have not already posted there ideas though. I could be wrong.

Opalsns
04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Then they probabally just don't want to enter.
Deadline !!!!! The magic word !!! If they don't have an entry in by the deadline, Oh Well !
I will sit this one out only because I'm new, It's late in the year and I really like the idea's out there now. Lobster/Snowshoe and Maine State Shaped coin.
The contest Idea could be for the 2009 coin, everyone will know about it by then and there could be a prize, like the person with the winning coin design gets 2 free coins. 1 to keep and 1 to trade. Just an idea.
What does everbody think about voting on the 2 designs they have now and starting a contest for next year ?
Start taking entries January 1st 2009 and making the DEADLINE for entries February 1st 2009. Let Sudonum or whoever takes on the job ,Have the month of February to pick 2 or 3 coin designs, then put them out to be voted on during the month of March with the voting DEADLINE being March 31st 2009. The winning design would be annouced and sent in to be worked out on April 1st 2009.
Or something on that idea, Just a thought.
But as of right now I would vote for the snowshoe front/lobster back coin because it's different than any coin I've seen. It also represents summer and winter. I don't know who's Idea it was and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I just like that coin.
Opalsns

Medawisla
04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
:)I like everyone's comments here, so this is a suggestion:

Let's start a new poll thread where all proposals are posted and everyone can vote for one. One person would need to start this new thread so that all proposals are posted before voting starts. I really haven't gotten the hang of posting pictures in threads yet, and I know that's not an excuse not to volunteer to do this simple quick task, but if someone who does know now how to would volunteer, that'd be great!

I suggest for a timeline:

April 11th: Someone volunteer to post proposals in new poll thread. Perhaps the easiest way to do so is to request that "artists" send their proposals by email?

April 18th: All artists get proposals to thread poster.

April 26th: Deadline for posting thread, voting begins! Deadline for volunteer who'll submit design to manufacturer and handle finances/delivery of coins (Sudinom?)

May 1st: Newsletter released with link

May 21st: Voting Polls close (this is so that I can post the winner in the Newsletter that gets reviewed by the Board through the 31st)

June 1st: Newsletter released with announcement of winning design. Deadline for submittal to manufacturer.

Opalsns
04-08-2008, 08:59 PM
That sounds like a great plan to me !!!
How would the vote be handled? Do we vote on that same thread and then count the posts?
Opalsns

Opalsns
04-08-2008, 09:17 PM
not an entry

Opalsns
04-08-2008, 09:18 PM
not an entry

Sudonim
04-09-2008, 11:18 AM
:)
April 26th: Deadline for posting thread, voting begins! Deadline for volunteer who'll submit design to manufacturer and handle finances/delivery of coins (Sudinom?)

Timeline's gonna have to be a little longer than that. I'll be out of the country from the middle of next week until early May.:p

Opalsns
04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
How about this...
I will volunteer to start now taking email photos ( jpeg or gif ) of completed Front and Back ideas for 2008 coin contest. I will accept designs untill midnight (est )April 27, 2009.
On Monday, April 28, 2009 I will post thread with All entries at same time. I will not post names, only the designs. If there are duplicate designs, the first one recieved, by date and time , will be accepted only!!!! Voting Begins as soon as thread is posted.
Voting ENDS Midnite ( EST ) May 11, 2009.
May 12, 2009 Winning design is a announced and Sudonum takes over !!!!
When coins are recieved, the winner gets free coin.
What Do you think?????
Let me know today and I will post address to accept photos.
Opalsns

attroll
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
How about this...
I will volunteer to start now taking email photos ( jpeg or gif ) of completed Front and Back ideas for 2008 coin contest. I will accept designs untill midnight (est )April 27, 2009.
On Monday, April 28, 2009 I will post thread with All entries at same time. I will not post names, only the designs. If there are duplicate designs, the first one recieved, by date and time , will be accepted only!!!! Voting Begins as soon as thread is posted.
Voting ENDS Midnite ( EST ) May 11, 2009.
May 12, 2009 Winning design is a announced and Sudonum takes over !!!!
When coins are recieved, the winner gets free coin.
What Do you think?????
Let me know today and I will post address to accept photos.
Opalsns
I am confused as to why we need to email photos to any individual for the contest or even submissions? We have a place in the gallery title Maine Geocoin Inputs (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/511) that was designed for inputs and suggestions.

Sudonim
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
The other issue I have with this is that we have never had a design submitted that ran without modification.

If all entries are shown at the same time, we have no way to change minor parts of a design. With the other ones, several designs were posted, people said what they liked/didn't like, changes were made and we found something that most of us were happy with.

Opalsns
04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Sudonum,
If you go back and read Tat's post and then Medawisla's post re: The Coin,
You will see why I offered to help. Now I will keep out of this and let you handle it as you've done it before.
I'm done.
Opalsns

Medawisla
04-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Sudonum,
If you go back and read Tat's post and then Medawisla's post re: The Coin,
You will see why I offered to help. Now I will keep out of this and let you handle it as you've done it before.
I'm done.
Opalsns

It's ok Opalsns, I think I get what Sudonim is saying...

Sudonim, I think, I and Opalsns and others were getting anxious to settle on a design. We have spent months posting ideas and commenting... Are there other ideas, other than voting on what we have now, to re-energize people about the coin? to get a decision made?:confused:

tat
04-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Sudonum,
...re: The Coin,
You will see why I offered to help. ...
Opalsns

Don't give up, this is just the kind of motivation needed to get this going! With your help, there's plenty of time to have a coin this fall.

Medawisla
04-09-2008, 08:06 PM
I am confused as to why we need to email photos to any individual for the contest or even submissions? We have a place in the gallery title Maine Geocoin Inputs (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/511) that was designed for inputs and suggestions.

Good point, Rick! I this would save us a lot of steps/time...what do others think about voting by clicking on the pic links in the Gallery and rating them?

Sudonim
04-10-2008, 11:36 AM
It's ok Opalsns, I think I get what Sudonim is saying...

Sudonim, I think, I and Opalsns and others were getting anxious to settle on a design. We have spent months posting ideas and commenting... Are there other ideas, other than voting on what we have now, to re-energize people about the coin? to get a decision made?:confused:

I wasn't trying to be negative to Opoalsns's input, just saying that no design in the past has gotten a thumbs up on the first rendition, so a chance to discuss/modify any designs might be helpful.

How do people like the inputs so far? We've seen 2 or 3 posted, do we put these in for a vote, or is there another design people would like to see that hasn't been posted yet? The link Rick posted:
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/511
shows 3 different designs. Do we put these to a vote now? What do people like or dislike about them?

WhereRWe?
04-10-2008, 05:55 PM
How do people like the inputs so far?

I'm not crazy about any of the suggestions so far, but you know me... ;)

I think the coin shapes are what bug me - not the designs. I like the snowshowes on one side, and the lobster on the other, but the coin shapes don't give me a "warm and fuzzy". ;);)

Sudonim
04-10-2008, 06:45 PM

I think the coin shapes are what bug me - not the designs. I like the snowshowes on one side, and the lobster on the other, but the coin shapes don't give me a "warm and fuzzy". ;);)

How about a round coin with flames on one side and fur on the other? :D

WhereRWe?
04-10-2008, 07:03 PM
How about a round coin with flames on one side and fur on the other? :D

Sheesh! Don't get me started...

Opalsns
04-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Hmmm, warm and fuzzy ....

Woodstove front and Black bear back !!!!
Very Maine-ish:rolleyes:

Mapachi
04-10-2008, 09:40 PM
How about a round coin with snowshoes on one side and either the State or lobster, or lobster trap on other....one of the designs, just on a round coin....faster..cheaper.

Opalsns
04-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Good Idea too!!

WhereRWe?
04-11-2008, 07:31 AM
How about a round coin with snowshoes on one side and either the State or lobster, or lobster trap on other....one of the designs, just on a round coin....faster..cheaper.

Works for me, too. :D:D

EMSDanel
04-20-2008, 10:57 AM
My previous thoughts were: Anyone in the world should be able to look at the coin and recognize that it's the "Maine" coin....and....that we should consider having a lobster on it. So to throw in another 2 cents worth (that will total 6 cents): consider either a coin shaped like the State of Maine or round......front would say Maine 2008...back would have pics of snowshoes, black bear, lobster, and someone fly fishing. In fact, I would suggest a woman doing the fly fishing to salute all the female sporters/geocachers.

Opalsns
05-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Sooooooooo,
What's going on with the 2008 coin?
Opalsns

attroll
05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Sooooooooo,
What's going on with the 2008 coin?
Opalsns

I don't know what is going on but here is another suggestions seeing some want a winter caching theme.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/2008-coin1.jpg

Opalsns
05-04-2008, 09:48 PM
I like that idea. It reminds me of all the trips to Maine before we moved here. We traveled at night and I would look at all the windows and wish we were in that "Warm Yellow Glow"!!!

tlarson
05-14-2008, 07:34 AM
How about not having a coin? Yes I am serious.

The last coin was not the most attractive coin that I have seen. The ideas I have seen have not improved on the last one. I'm not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings, just giving my opinion. Maine Shaped coin - Been done Lobster coin - Being done

If you are going to do a Maine coin, then you need to think about what people from outside the state think about when they think Maine
You need three people to develop the coin, the Artist, the Business person and the Consultant. Once those people work together and create a couple of options for people to choose from and once a design is chosen it will be up to them to make any needed adjustments for the production of the coin. The design options need to go out for all Maine Geocachers to vote on not just people on this site, otherwise it would just be a Geocaching Maine.org coin.

So if you (general term) are going to do a “Maine” coin then do it right. If you are going to do a GeocachingMaine.org coin then do that right, but call it what it is.

WhereRWe?
05-14-2008, 07:49 AM
So if you (general term) are going to do a “Maine” coin then do it right. If you are going to do a GeocachingMaine.org coin then do that right, but call it what it is.[/COLOR]

Actually, you're right. The coin is "a project of geocachingmaine.org". Look at the last coin. It clearly indicates "geocachingmaine.org" on the back

We can call it anything we want. There is nothing stated or implied that it represents the ENTIRE geocaching community in Maine.

tlarson
05-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Call it what it is and it will be less confusing for other people.

brdad
05-14-2008, 08:47 AM
[COLOR=black]The design options need to go out for all Maine Geocachers to vote on not just people on this site, otherwise it would just be a Geocaching Maine.org coin.

Unless you know something I don't, there is no way of getting a vote out to all Maine geocachers. One of the main reasons this site was created was to unite as many Maine cachers as possible as well as those that have interest in caching in Maine. While the site is a small percentage of those people, it is the best option we have at the moment.

While we will probably never be able to contact all Maine cachers, we can all do our part by promoting this site by word of mouth, leaving Geocaching Maine cards (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2247) in the caches we find, adding the site's logo (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/links/misc.php?do=linktous) to our cache pages, and other methods of promotion. Almost any email I send regarding geocaching has the logo and link as a signature line, and an invitation to join the site.

So IMO it is a geocachingmaine.org coin, we don't need to change that. We just need to do what we can to invite cachers to our site. It not only benefits the coin, but the entire site.

tlarson
05-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Unless you know something I don't, there is no way of getting a vote out to all Maine geocachers.
Make a post on the MGA site, that should at least bring a lot of the southern maine cachers. Make a thread or post in the GC fourms, there may be maine cachers there that do not visit either GCMaine or MGA. Just doing it on GCMaine is not the best option out there, just the one that takes the least work.

brdad
05-14-2008, 09:14 AM
We usually do post concerning the coin to the gc.com forums, though we could definitely do a better job there. And last I knew, it was MGA's policy to delete any mention of this site. If that is not the case, then someone should post there and invite their members to participate in any and all stages of the coin development. The more input we have, the better the final result will be.

Sudonim
05-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Another place we've announced coin sales, but not done well soliciting ideas is the forum section of GC. Maybe we can get some other design inputs from there.

TRF
05-14-2008, 11:19 AM
How about a design contest? Participants submit their design(s) by a certain date. All the designs are displayed, the one that gets the most votes wins. Winner get a free coin or 2 or 3 and that cost is divided into the final cost of the coin when they go up for sale. Would be awesome if MGA would run the same contest with the same designs at the same time. In the end add the votes together from the two sites. This should involve a majority of the registered members of both sites.

Then we could have an event announcing the winner!

dí76
05-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I dont object to having just a GCmaine coin. I'm comfortible even calling it that.

TRF
05-14-2008, 11:27 AM
I dont object to having just a GCmaine coin. I'm comfortible even calling it that.

I agree Dave. One half of a dozen or the other. If we are trying to get more people involved in the process then my previous post but if the coin was a GCM.org coin, that would be cool too..

Opalsns
05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanx for listening,
Opalsns

I tried metioning a design contest already back in April. It wasn't a big hit.
Opalsns

TRF
05-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I tried metioning a design contest already back in April. It wasn't a big hit.
Opalsns

The new "concern" from Tlarsen is that the coin is not representative of the entire state of Maine or a majority of Maine cachers. If the concept behind the coin is to make it representative of Maine then it has to include as many Maine cachers as possible. GM.org and the MGA are 2 independent entities and at one time there was a certain amount of animosity between the sites. If there is or isn't is irrelevant and maybe something like this would help unite the 2 sites behind a common cause. You were just ahead of your time when you suggested it. Maybe it will gain more support as the 2008 season diminishes into 2009. I'm for it.

If the coin is a GM.org coin then "we" as a group still need to decide.

I'm thinking that if you put an incentive behind it, maybe it would generate more interest and participants into the process instead of, "When are the 2008 Maine geocoins up for sale?" or, "How is the 2008 Maine Geocoin coming along?"

firefighterjake
05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm not a coin guy so honestly I don't care one way or another . . . but the one thing I can say is that there always seems to be a lot of talk on this issue, but very little action. . . . for the coin lovers out there I hope someone will take these ideas and act on them.

brdad
05-14-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm not a coin guy so honestly I don't care one way or another . . . but the one thing I can say is that there always seems to be a lot of talk on this issue, but very little action. . . . for the coin lovers out there I hope someone will take these ideas and act on them.

I agree. And if it's that hard for one site to produce a coin, trying to get two to collaborate on ideas would be near impossible. I vote for keeping it on this site. Cachers are welcome to join one or both sites, so nothing is stopping anyone from participating. The key is informing those that might be interested in doing so.

Perhaps we can find some coin addicts to work with Sudonim on a strategy plan and a time line.

tlarson
05-14-2008, 12:23 PM
The new "concern" from Tlarsen is...

O not E

:D

TRF
05-14-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree. And if it's that hard for one site to produce a coin, trying to get two to collaborate on ideas would be near impossible. I vote for keeping it on this site. Cachers are welcome to join one or both sites, so nothing is stopping anyone from participating. The key is informing those that might be interested in doing so.

Perhaps we can find some coin addicts to work with Sudonim on a strategy plan and a time line.

LOL,,,The bolded statements leave us where we were before Tlarson posted his thoughts. Funny how things go full circle and still no closer to any resolution.

If we are going to do a GM.org coin then it could be any topic. Why not a memorial coin to Aefuss and LandRocket?

dí76
05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
O not E

:D

Hahaha Tims not at work either today:p

Sudonim
05-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Like I've said before, once the design is approved, the sales/distribution is ready to go, but as I'm not an artist, I'm relying on everyone else to come up with the art that we can (mostly) all agree on. If nobody has any other input on design, is one of the submitted designs something we can use, or work with to get to something we can use?

brdad
05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
LOL,,,The bolded statements leave us where we were before Tlarson posted his thoughts. Funny how things go full circle and still no closer to any resolution.

If we are going to do a GM.org coin then it could be any topic. Why not a memorial coin to Aefuss and LandRocket?

Well, we must be moving forward - This thread was supposed to be asking if we wanted a coin or not, and we already have some designs discussed methods of promoting it! :)

Regardless, I think someone needs to volunteer to help move the process along, post a thread asking for ideas and artwork, then one to vote on that artwork, and any other stages. Where are the coin lovers? Speak up, take on the challenge, and help with the process! Medawisla stepped up to the plate and took on responsibility of the newsletter, and she has done a great job at it. One of the main purposes for having a newsletter was to reach out to the members who don't visit often and let them know about projects like the coin. The site could use someone like her to help out on this project.

As far as a memorial coin, I like the idea, but it may not be a coin that appeals to the masses. Great for us locals, however. Depends on who your target market is.

attroll
05-14-2008, 01:40 PM
How about a design contest? Participants submit their design(s) by a certain date. All the designs are displayed, the one that gets the most votes wins. Winner get a free coin or 2 or 3

This has been brought up with no luck. It seems that myself and two others are the only one that have had coin inputs. I have another one that I am working on but have not put it to design yet. It is all in my head right now (scary).

TRF
05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=42277#post42277)
The new "concern" from Tlarsen is...

O not E

Are you sure??? :p:D:D:p

My bad Mr. tLarsin

WhereRWe?
05-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Call it what it is and it will be less confusing for other people.

Sheesh! If it's not a "Maine geocoin", should call it a "New Hampshire geocoin"?

Haffy
05-14-2008, 08:54 PM
We usually do post concerning the coin to the gc.com forums, though we could definitely do a better job there. And last I knew, it was MGA's policy to delete any mention of this site. If that is not the case, then someone should post there and invite their members to participate in any and all stages of the coin development. The more input we have, the better the final result will be.

They still object to any mention of this site on theirs. Both Hiram and myself have had our posts deleted without any explanation as to why either. Can't understand it but hey it's their site and they run it the way they want to.

hide_from_the_kids
05-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Has there been an agreement on what the coin might be or when? Is there a contest? Are there any designs submitted?

attroll
05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
This is what I have for inputs so far. If there is more please let me know.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/2008-coin1.jpg http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/2008-coin.jpg http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/coinback.jpg http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/MAINE2008.jpg http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/2008_Concept.jpg

If this is it then we need to discuss which one we are leaning towards.

hollora
05-23-2008, 01:38 PM
It sounded like Hide-From-The-Kids may have an idea.

hide_from_the_kids
05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
i have an idea but i don't know how to draw it on the computer. if someone could help it would be nice. we live just a hop skip and jump from attroll. maybe we can get together and i can describe it to you.

attroll
05-23-2008, 02:02 PM
i have an idea but i don't know how to draw it on the computer. if someone could help it would be nice. we live just a hop skip and jump from attroll. maybe we can get together and i can describe it to you.
You can send it to me in a PM and try to explain it and I will see what I can come up with or I can try to hook up with you. My weekend is pretty busy this weekend though unless you want to ride to Bangor with Tink and me. I am heading to Bangor tomorrow morning and then Saturday and Sunday I will be in Andover Maine backpacking.

Sudonim
05-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Sunday I will be in Andover Maine backpacking.

Rick, you going up Moody mountain? Last time I was up there with dad, we saw a BIG plane flying BELOW us down the valley, doing radar evasion practice.

WhereRWe?
05-23-2008, 07:22 PM
I REALLY like the green outline-of-Maine geocoin! Really pretty. :D:D

EMSDanel
05-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I, too, like the Maine shaped coin but the yellow flower just doesn't do it for me. Maybe a downhill skiier in that spot? Also, it needs to look more like a lobster instead of a crayfish (see the other two examples pictured). Second choice is the round Winter Caching in Maine idea.

attroll
05-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Rick, you going up Moody mountain? Last time I was up there with dad, we saw a BIG plane flying BELOW us down the valley, doing radar evasion practice.
I will not make it as far a Moody on this trip. I am going to do maintenance on my section the Appalachian Trail and hopping there is not a lot to do. I am bring my son and we are going to turn it into a hiking/camping trip and do some fishing also.

I REALLY like the green outline-of-Maine geocoin! Really pretty. :D:D
If were going to keep the Geocaching Maine logo on the front of the coin then it would be kind of senseless to have another picture of Maine on the back don't you think?

hide_from_the_kids
05-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Sending attroll a pm about our idea.

Seeing as we are heading in opposite directions I don't think we'll be hooking up this weekend :)

Happy weekend caching.

attroll
05-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Sending attroll a pm about our idea.

Seeing as we are heading in opposite directions I don't think we'll be hooking up this weekend :)

Happy weekend caching.
I got the PM from hide_from_the_kids and it is a great idea, probably one of the best so far. I will play with this and post my results once I have done it and hide_from_the_kids agrees with it.

Opalsns
05-24-2008, 10:14 AM
If were going to keep the Geocaching Maine logo on the front of the coin then it would be kind of senseless to have another picture of Maine on the back don't you think?[/quote]

Actually Rick,
The coin is Maine Shaped. I like the Green Front.

I agree with EMSDanel about the back of the Maine shaped coin. I don't like the back pictures. Maybe putting the picture of the night sky and cabin from the round coin and putting it on the back of the Maine shaped coin.

darterkitfox
05-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Isn't it time to change this thread to read "The 2009 Maine Geocoin"?

WhereRWe?
05-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I, too, like the Maine shaped coin but the yellow flower just doesn't do it for me.

I know! A BLUEBERRY! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kacky
05-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I like the first snowshoe one.

Mapachi
06-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Pine cone and tassels, blueberries, potatoes, lobstahs, and chick-a-dees or how about a pot hole coin!

Opalsns
06-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Pine cone and tassels, blueberries, potatoes, lobstahs, and chick-a-dees or how about a pot hole coin!

Is that the hole that Wherearewe? wished he could have crawled into when he found the pot growing operation??????:D

WhereRWe?
06-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Is that the hole that Wherearewe? wished he could have crawled into when he found the pot growing operation??????:D

LOL! Not a hole - I just wanted the car so as to get out of there. Who knows what type of booby-traps were hidden there...

Mainiac1957
06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Lets get r done.

hollora
06-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Lets get r done. Agreed and if the purpose of this coin is to promote this site - the web site address should be on the coin (as in the case in many other coins promoting groups, organizations and websites) - IMHO.

Nic~Mac
06-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure what stage of the game your in, but here are some of my thoughts and maybe they will help. There are many things to consider for a coin. The history of the state, early settlers came north(to make money) to log the woods, also they found the hunting and fishing remarkable.... sport camps fertile grounds to grow food, large amounts of granite here also. So would it make sense to do a compass with something like "TATERS" on the northern point, logs on the western point, lobster on the southern point, fishing and hunting on the eastern point on a round coin with a ghost image of the state in the back ground. This state was built by great Pioneers, could that be an idea? We have one of gthe most beautiful states in the union and so many sites you could use. Good luck I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Nick~Mac

attroll
06-03-2008, 01:03 AM
I have not been pushing to get the coin done because I have been working with the Team "Hide from the kids" helping them design there 2008 2008 Geocaching Maine coin input. Now that it is done then I am all for pushing forward. If anyone has any other ideas please submit them.

What I am about to present is all there ideas. I have nothing to do with it. All I did was put it together in Photoshop. I will say I love this and think it is the best one so far.

In the first image I am just displaying the front and back of the proposed coin.

In the second image I am trying to explain the design a little but using another image of a Hammer Metal Black finish from another coin.

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/2008-coin.gif (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2506) http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/511/thumbs/2008-explantion.jpg (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2505)

Mainiac1957
06-03-2008, 06:54 AM
I like the design Jamie. Nice job! I would buy those coins anyway, because they are Maine coins. I would hope others would buy them, because they are a bit different. JMHO

hide_from_the_kids
06-03-2008, 07:36 AM
We Really Enjoyed Working With Rick On This. It Is Nice To Know People Are Willing To Help Out Still. There's A Lot Of Real Nice People In This Community. Rick Your Efforts Give Geocachers A Great Name And We Are Proud To Be A Part Of That. Hope To Meet Soon.

hollora
06-03-2008, 08:01 AM
The jpg presents a tiny picture for me but I think I get the idea. The state inside the ring - is it cut out? That is very cool if it is, instead of a solid circle. Would love to see the detail. I like it!

Sudonim
06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
I really like this one. One concern, the 4 small logos on the outer rim of the front, are they big enough to reproduce on the die? I'm thinking specifically about the GPS, lots of detail on a small spot. The simpler icons like the hiker would work better.

I think this coin would be a winner. Nice job Hide from the kids and Rick on getting this design up.

attroll
06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
The jpg presents a tiny picture for me but I think I get the idea. The state inside the ring - is it cut out? That is very cool if it is, instead of a solid circle. Would love to see the detail. I like it!
If you click on the icon then it will open a new window of the image in the gallery. If you click on the image again in the gallery then it should open to the full size photo.

I really like this one. One concern, the 4 small logos on the outer rim of the front, are they big enough to reproduce on the die? I'm thinking specifically about the GPS, lots of detail on a small spot. The simpler icons like the hiker would work better.

I think this coin would be a winner. Nice job Hide from the kids and Rick on getting this design up.
Yes Andy that was a concern of mine too but I was not sure so I posted it. I figured you see it and say whether it was OK or not. Is there any way you could check into it for us.

Sudonim
06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
I just emailed Elyssa at Coins&Pins. She is going to offer suggestions on the design as well as a rough cost estimate. Should get back to me today.

hollora
06-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the tips on opening the jpg Rick. Had to use another technique but got it.

Very nicely done. Especially like the open silouette - style. Also inclusion of the web site address.

Sudonim
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Heard back from Elyssa. Here is what she said.

Thank you for sending me the preliminary design. Based on the specs l suggest making this coin in a zinc metal instead of brass although zinc is a little bit lighter in weight, it will not take away for the overall look or quality of the coin. Zinc is a softer metal and works better on coins with cut-outs.

Also, I suggest increasing the size to a 42mm diameter this way the details in the center can look better.

Looks like this coin will be more expensive. It's a little larger and with 2 new dies (front and back) as well as a die to punch out the centers.
I'll have to work the numbers adding in the paypal % but it looks like this would be AROUND $8 to $9 per coin plus mailing. That's based on a 250 coin order.

Haffy
06-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Just my opinion but I'm not sure the cutouts for the State really work. The obverse looking at the State backwards looks kind of funky. maybe a solid coin with the backside showing the state the way it should be shown would work out better and maybe lessen the cost. Just my thoughts, Great design though and good work to both of you guys.

If you get a set design and do a prepay like in previous years maybe with more interest we can get the price down with more orders above the 250 mark.

Opalsns
06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I like the State cut out but not the circle around it.
The green front cut out and Can get there from here back.
Opalsns

hollora
06-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Everyone has a different opinion but the circle around the state, to me, makes this coin unique. It also would allow attachment of a Travel buddy to the coin without drilling it if you are sending it out into the wild. JMHO but leave the circle.

dí76
06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Everyone has a different opinion but the circle around the state, to me, makes this coin unique. It also would allow attachment of a Travel buddy to the coin without drilling it if you are sending it out into the wild. JMHO but leave the circle.

Isnt the coin already going to be trackable?

And I like the latest design. Mint it they will buy it.

Hiram357
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Didn't we have an issue with last years coin and the phrase "the way caching should be" ??? :confused:

hollora
06-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Isnt the coin already going to be trackable?

And I like the latest design. Mint it they will buy it.

Yes it is - the travel buddy isn't a tracking device but rather a reminder to log the item and move it on. Sort of like printing a tag but rather it is a metal dog tag.

dí76
06-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Yes it is - the travel buddy isn't a tracking device but rather a reminder to log the item and move it on. Sort of like printing a tag but rather it is a metal dog tag.

ahhhh yes, I have seen a few of those in the past. I wish I had them on my tbs that have not made it.

EMSDanel
06-03-2008, 10:26 PM
I still like the Winter Caching scene with the log cabin and I like the new walking moose in these new ideas. But the cut-out is a very cool idea as well. Not sure about the "You can get there from here" because WE know what that means but people from other parts of the U.S. and other countries probably will not. Also, I'd just like to say that I surely do appreciate all the extra effort from Hide From the Kids...I met them on the trail and they instantly made a replacement cache for one that had been destroyed by muggles.....great people to meet. And to Attroll, I'm in awe at this level of computer expertise. Whatever the coin turns out to be, these suggestions have improved greatly on our options.

attroll
06-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Wow, Wow. This coin is not a definite yet. Although I like it the best we can not jump to assumptions here. We will have to collect all inputs of coins that have been submitted and vote.

We need to set a deadline for inputs on the coins before we vote. How about we set the deadline as July 1st? This will give everyone one more full month to put together any ideas that have and submit them. Then on a 2nd or 3rd we can put them all in a voting poll and vote on the coin you would like to see used.

Sudonim
06-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Wow, Wow. This coin is not a definite yet. Although I like it the best we can not jump to assumptions here. We will have to collect all inputs of coins that have been submitted and vote.

We need to set a deadline for inputs on the coins before we vote. How about we set the deadline as July 1st? This will give everyone one more full month to put together any ideas that have and submit them. Then on a 2nd or 3rd we can put them all in a voting poll and vote on the coin you would like to see used.

I agree totally. I really like this coin idea, but lets not ignore the other inputs that people have worked hard on, and there may be some more awesome ideas out there that we haven't heard of yet.
One month is a short time period, but we have been asking for ideas for months now, it's time to make a decision. Last call for new artwork?

brdad
06-04-2008, 08:34 AM
This is why I suggested that we asked for artwork in the newsletter which was just published and set a deadline. That way, everyone would have known they only have a month left. One of the complaints from the last coin was that people weren't aware of what was going on until it was too late.

If you want the cutoff to be July 1st, perhaps this is one of those times a special notice should be sent out to all members?

attroll
06-04-2008, 01:34 PM
This is why I suggested that we asked for artwork in the newsletter which was just published and set a deadline. That way, everyone would have known they only have a month left. One of the complaints from the last coin was that people weren't aware of what was going on until it was too late.

If you want the cutoff to be July 1st, perhaps this is one of those times a special notice should be sent out to all members?

We can do that if we all agree on July 1st. It was only a suggestion on my part.

hide_from_the_kids
06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Is That A Decision For The Board To Set The Deadline For July 1st Or Would That Consist Of A Notice On The Home Page Or By Vast E-mail?

attroll
06-05-2008, 01:26 PM
No that was not from the board it was a suggestion asking for inputs from everyone whether they agreed with it or not. That was coming from me and not the board.

TRF
06-05-2008, 01:29 PM
No that was not from the board it was a suggestion asking for inputs from everyone whether they agreed with it or not.

July 1st 2008 is a great date for a Deadline! I'm all for it! All those is favor/not in favor chime in and be heard!! :):):););):)

Cache and Be Happy!!!

hide_from_the_kids
06-05-2008, 02:09 PM
No that was not from the board it was a suggestion asking for inputs from everyone whether they agreed with it or not. That was coming from me and not the board.

:eek: i guess i wrote that wrong i wanted to ask if the board was going to make the decision or if it was up to the community. but now i got my answer. so i will say "in favor". i still would like to see other coin ideas come in though.:)

Kacky
06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Oh, a cutout coin. Very nice!

EMS Danel : "You can get there from here"... people LOVE an inside joke. I think it would be a good selling point.

Medawisla
06-05-2008, 06:25 PM

I know this is what we wanted, brdad, but at least this forum thread has been in the newsletter under Hot Topics consistantly. Hopefully people will read the thread.:) We can only lead them to the door so much, they have to walk through it.:rolleyes:

Sudonim
06-05-2008, 06:28 PM
I know this is what we wanted, brdad, but at least this forum thread has been in the newsletter under Hot Topics consistantly. Hopefully people will read the thread.:) We can only lead them to the door so much, they have to walk through it.:rolleyes:

Would that be the good green door?:p

Medawisla
06-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Would that be the good green door?:p

haha! that's what we should have named the geocaching newsletter!:p

darterkitfox
06-05-2008, 06:52 PM
in favor of July 1st

EMSDanel
06-08-2008, 12:30 AM
I also vote for the July 1st drop dead date. The circle coin with the cut-out of Maine is cool and I'd like to see that done. No matter what part of the world you are from you will identify that this is the "Maine" coin. I still love the cabin/winter caching in Maine scene (that is soooo Maine) which could go on one side and the multiple scenes...fly fishing, skiing, etc. on the other. My four cents worth....
Dan

Mapachi
06-11-2008, 10:16 AM
I have kept my nose out of most of this. I am an artist and will submit ideas for next years coin (if there is one) But I wanted to "keep my mouth shut" and just watch the process this year. I like all the designs, but hide_from_the_kids' coin idea seems to be well thought out and has the kind of uniqueness we are all looking for. and July 1st is great.