View Full Version : Gotta Love Thanksgiving

Foxgloves
11-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanksgiving Divorce

A man in Phoenix calls his son in New York the day before Thanksgiving and says,” I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing; forty-five years of misery is enough.

"Pop, what are you talking about?" the son screams. We can't stand the sight of each other any longer," the father says. "We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call your sister in Chicago and tell her."

Frantic, the son calls his sister, who explodes on the phone. "Like heck they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this,"

She calls Phoenix immediately, and screams at her father, "You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?" and hangs up.

The old man hangs up his phone and turns to his wife. "Okay, it worked!" he says, "they're coming for Thanksgiving and paying their own way."

Mainiac1957
11-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the laugh.

Haffy
11-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah I just read that on the Kim Komando email for today......:)

hollora
11-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Very cute - now, what do you do to have them cook dinner?

Just kidding - I love to cook and as long as I am able want to do it.

Holidays are just not the same without family home. We are used to having members away at work (needs for police, fire services and the military are 24/7).

No matter what - just remember to tell family and friends you love them - no matter how near or far........

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

pjpreb
11-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Our family will have an empty place at the Thanksgiving table this year and also no dog to sneak leftovers to. For the first time I realized that the holidays are not always happy. Give your family (and pets) a big hug every chance you get. Life is fragile and love is precious.

Team2hunt
11-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Give your family (and pets) a big hug every chance you get. Life is fragile and love is precious.

Well said.

Happy Holidays!

Haffy
11-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah this will be the first Thanksgiving I won't be spending with my folks and my other brothers and 2 sisters as well. I will be spending it with my nephew and his wife and my other sister and her husband are in Germany on a business trip. Nothing like family to spend time with and I'll miss them.

WhereRWe?
11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah this will be the first Thanksgiving I won't be spending with my folks and my other brothers and 2 sisters as well. I will be spending it with my nephew and his wife and my other sister and her husband are in Germany on a business trip. Nothing like family to spend time with and I'll miss them.

Sniff, sniff...

Sheesh, Haffy! You can come and have thanksgiving with us! :D :D

Haffy
11-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the offer, so are you buying the plane ticket too ?....:D

hollora
11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Over the years, at our holiday tables, my family numbers dwindled. Every year my dad and his sister took pictures, it seemed like forever........ Now as I view these I see, I am so thankful they did. Over the years, first one member of the family and then another were gone. Until, we stopped taking pictures.

We were joined by spouses to my children and now, this year we are blessed with a new family member - Amara. Holidays are family time. It is important to enjoy the times we have together regardless of when - life is short.

My Holiday greetings to all. May you have a wonderful, safe and relaxing day - regardless of your undertakings. I know some of you may have to work (24/7 jobs don't change)....if you are working one of those - please know we appreciate you!

firefighterjake
11-19-2007, 07:22 AM

HehHeh . . . I do all I can to get out of going to Thanksgiving with my family -- I can't stand the disfunction and strife so I often end up having a little get-together with just the wife and me . . . although this year we're having a friend of my wife over who had a live-in boyfriend die on her yesterday (not unexpected, but pretty tough on my wife's friend and needless to say she doesn't feel much like being in large crowds anytime soon.)

d’76
11-19-2007, 07:56 AM
I agree with Jake, this year I am jumping the country for thanksgiving and having dinner with a family that i can get along with and dont just call when they need something

hollora
11-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Every family is different and sometimes friends are your family too. So, I can understand. The funniest story of a holiday for me was when my aunt and her husband were supposed to be arriving for dinner. They were late. I got a phone call and it was Aunt Eleanor. She had always been a tad dry - and she said, "well, I guess I am going to be a little late. Jack's on the couch and won't wake up ........... I think he's dead!" It was so matter of fact....and yes, he had passed away in his sleep......dinner was a bit late that year. I am sure there are stories we all could tell. Where ever you all are and no matter with who you might share the holiday - enjoy.