View Full Version : Newsletters

Advisory Board
11-19-2007, 07:12 AM
The GeocachingMaine.org Advisory Board has recently been discussing the issue of members not being informed in a timely manner of information that may be important to them. A recent example of this is the design and sale of the 2007 geocoin, where some members were not aware the coin sales had started until after the deadline.

In an effort to help with this issue, the site will begin offering an Email newsletter on a regular basis, in which members can opt in or out of as they choose. The frequency of these mailings is yet to be determined, but will most likely be quarterly or monthly. Non-scheduled Emails may also be sent if an issue arises that requires prompt attention. The newsletters will be a simple message in text format listing the important issues of the time period and will not contain advertisements.

In order to receive these mailings, you must have the "Allow Email from Administrators" option checked in your Geocachingmaine.org Control Panel and you must have a valid email address entered. To change or verify these settings:

Click on "UserCP" in the top menu of the web site.
Click on "Options" in the left menu
Make sure "Allow Email from Administrators" is checked in the "Receive Email" section
Click on "Edit Email and Password" in the left menu
Make sure your correct email address is entered in the "Edit Email Address (Optional)" section

If you already have these settings correct, you should receive an email similar to this post.

We are also looking for an individual or team who are regular visitors to the site to help create this newsletter. If you are interested in volunteering or have questions about the newsletter, reply here.

All comments are a collaborative effort of the board members.

Mainiac1957
11-19-2007, 08:03 AM
I myself am here everyday, or so. Many aren't, but I'm sure like to stay informed. I think it will be good.

hollora
11-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Can't hurt. Thank you all - for working to make this a great site.

Haffy
11-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a great idea and if I wasn't so far away I would offer to help as well, but being kind of out of the loop so to speak I don't think that would work.

brdad
11-19-2007, 09:22 PM
I myself am here everyday, or so.

So does this mean you're applying for the position? :)

Mainiac1957
11-20-2007, 07:13 AM
So does this mean you're applying for the position? :)

Nah, that sort of thing isn't my cup of tea. I think it's going to be a board member job.

WhereRWe?
11-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Nah, that sort of thing isn't my cup of tea. I think it's going to be a board member job.

Actually, we were hoping someone else would volunteer.

Haffy? Cache Maine? ;) ;)

Cache Maine
11-20-2007, 08:50 AM
No thanks...and I agree with M57....I think a member of the board should put this out. I assume the board would need to review anything that is sent out on behalf of this website anyway. Let's keep it simple...

hollora
11-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Agree with CM - where it will have to all be approved - no need to add a second step and a 3rd fiddle so to speak.

brdad
11-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Our intention is to keep the newsletter limited to just the facts - just what might be important to someone who does not visit regularly . Similar to the weekly emails from Geocaching.com. We do not think opinion or editorial content should be added. So the board will have very little "approval" other than a quick look, and then it will be sent.

If no one volunteers, we will still have the newsletter - probably pawn it off on the sap who instigated this project - But it would be nice to have someone else work with the board and contribute this little bit to the site.

Here is our sample:

Geocaching Maine Newsletter
November 2007
--------------
In This Issue
--------------
I. 2008 Geocoin discussion
II. Maine Geocaching in the News
III. Upcoming Events
IV. Photo of the month
V. Hot topics of the month
-----------------------------------------------------------
I. 2008 Geocoin discussion
-----------------------------------------------------------
Discussion has started on the possibility of a 2008 Geocoin. If you are interested in voicing your opinion concerning a 2008 coin, you should read and subscribe to the following thread.
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2744&highlight=2008
To subscribe to the thread, click on "Subscribe to Thread" option under "Thread Tools", found just above the first post.
----------------------------------------
II. Maine Geocaching in the News
----------------------------------------
1. 'Caching in with GPS
Publication: Morning Sentinel (Portland, ME)
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2007
http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/sports/stories/313514254.html
-------------------------------
III. Upcoming Events
-------------------------------
What, no events???
--------------------------------------------
V. Photo of the Month
Photo of Autumn colors taken by brdad at the Mousam Way Trail cache (GCXJMV).
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2344
V. Hot topics of the Month
The next Delorme Challenge.... http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2464&highlight=caching
archived caches http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2740&highlight=caching
Too Many Choices! http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2710&highlight=caching
Telltale Heart http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1958&highlight=caching
World Wide Flash Mob-The Maine Event http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2738&highlight=caching
###
If you do not wish to receive future Newsletters or other occasional messages from Geocaching Maine, please log into geocachingmaine.org Control Panel and uncheck the "Receive Email from Administrators" option.

Haffy
11-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Well you've got a great sample there so you might as well just keep up the good work and mail them out....:D

Medawisla
11-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Personally, since I appreciate all the time that the board puts into the Maine Geocaching community, I understand their request to have a volunteer write up the monthly newsletter. I also understand the thoughts posted here too.

I'll leave it up to the board and Sap to decide, but here is my offer.

I'm familiar with the newsletter format brdad posted, as it is the one used in many of the non-profits that I have worked for in the past. I would not mind doing a monthly newsletter. I love the excuse to get on the site as often as possible anyway. :p :D

A newsletter is a great thing and I so I wouldn't mind helping making it a reality.

Mainiac1957
11-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Looks like you found that sa... er I mean volunteer you were looking for. In all seriousness I think that is a generous offer on your part Stef.

Haffy
11-20-2007, 09:47 PM
I 2nd that motion to have Stef write up the newsletter. Thanks for stepping up Stef.

Medawisla
11-21-2007, 07:23 PM
So...Let me make a suggestion:
I submit a draft newsletter one week before the 1st of the month of the newsletter. The newsletter gets reviewed in that week and emailed on the 1st of the month of the newsletter. Is that a doable timeframe?
Question: Who do I email the newsletter to for review? :confused:
How's this going down?:confused: :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
11-21-2007, 07:31 PM
So...Let me make a suggestion:
I submit a draft newsletter one week before the 1st of the month of the newsletter. The newsletter gets reviewed in that week and emailed on the 1st of the month of the newsletter. Is that a doable timeframe?
Question: Who do I email the newsletter to for review? :confused:
How's this going down?:confused: :rolleyes:

An update: Three of five Advisory Board members support Medawisla for Newsletter Editor (the other 2 have not yet voiced an opinion).

My suggestion - if it can be done - is to give you access to the Advisory Board forum so that the newsletter would be "out of sight" until reviewed, but still give us the opportunity to make comments or discuss issues with you. I don't expect that there would be any problem with the content you submit, but - and there was some disagreement on this - since it would be an "official" geocachingmaine.org issue, I think we do need to "approve" the content before it goes out to all members

Again - this is my suggestion - not yet discussed with the other Board members. But I think it will happen... LOL! ;) ;)

brdad
11-21-2007, 07:43 PM
I think the easiest way will be to create a forum post in the "Feedback To Board Members (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)" section of the site and create or paste the newsletter into that. This will make it easy for a board member or two to do a quick scan of the newsletter and an easy place to be copied from to be put into email.

The feedback section of the site is a place for anyone to post information to which can only be read by the original poster and the 5 board members.

Haffy
11-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Looks like you have issued the ideal way to impliment the newsletter Brdad so I say go for it. Good luck Medawisla!!!

Medawisla
11-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Ok, Here's what I'll do for now, while awaiting final, official word from the Board:
I think it would actually be best if I can be in the chat on the 2nd to last wednesday of the month to include anything important from that in the newsletter. So I will post the newsletter no later than Thursday night in the Feedback to Advisory Board. Then someone (who?) of the Advisory Board will email by the 1st of the month...ok??:confused: :)
I'm flexible;) , just trying to keep the geers turning so my thoughts can be sound boarded. Let me know when any decisions are made. :)

WhereRWe?
11-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Looks like you have issued the ideal way to impliment the newsletter Brdad so I say go for it. Good luck Medawisla!!!

I agree. I hadn't thought of the feedback forum. :D :D

Medawisla
11-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Hey all,
The Feedback Forum is working great! Check it out and post your comments, suggestions, corrections :D

tat
11-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks Medawisla!

I just got back from vacation. I was wireless-less for a while! :)

brdad
12-05-2007, 07:01 AM
The first edition of the newsletter was emailed out 12/04/07.

If you didn't receive it in your email and wanted to, be sure to check your spam and/or bulk mail folders, and e-check your email settings in the USERCP (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/usercp.php)

If you have friends that you think might like the newsletter but may not be receiving it, you may want to tell them about it.

The subject of the email should read December Geocaching Maine Newsletter.

Medawisla
12-05-2007, 07:38 AM
And Cache Maine posted it in the "December 2007" thread.:)

hollora
12-05-2007, 08:48 AM
Well, I have checked and double checked how my options are set - they are checked as instructed. No emailed newsletter in either regular email or spam.........

So, I hope it keeps getting posted - just in case. Thanks for posting CM.

darterkitfox
12-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Same here. Options are okay and it wasn't in my bulk. No newsletter.

becket
12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
i got mine in my email yesterday. you did a great job! thanks:)

attroll
12-05-2007, 02:32 PM
There was a problem and not everyone received the newsletter. I overlooked that the server has a limit as to how many emails it can send per hour.

I am working on fixing it now. It may take a day to figure it out. I am looking into raising that limit. I don't know at which point or which user was the last one to receive the last email. Once I raise the limit I will have to resend the emails again to make sure everyone gets one.

Sabby
12-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Do you have to consider the receiving mailboxes too?

I think ATT will tag you as SPAM if too many arrive at its site.

I got mine OK though.

Team Ducky
12-07-2007, 01:24 PM
The newsleter was great, reminded me to visit the site again. Ah, love this forum...except for that Cache Maine character. :p ;)

Medawisla
12-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Glad you're back Team Ducky! :D
That was one goal of the newletter, to remind people we're here...:cool:
Happy Caching! :)

Cache Maine
12-07-2007, 07:38 PM
The newsleter was great, reminded me to visit the site again. Ah, love this forum...except for that Cache Maine character. :p ;)

HeyyyyYYY! Wait justa minute! :eek:

Opalsns
04-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi,
In the sample newsletter in this thread, the links are highlighted and when you click on them they take you there. In the newsletter I recieved in my email, the links are not highlighted and I can't click on them. Can you tell me what I can do to get whatever this is called?
Thanx,
Opalsns

attroll
04-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I not sure but I think there is a setting out your email program to allow html that will fix that. I can click on the ones in my email. Maybe someone else know some more about this.

darterkitfox
04-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Nice article on needing donating members. Even though as of today I am out of my $50 a week job and can barely meet expenses, I decided it was time to send in my yearly donation. If I can do it, I hope many of the others will join in to help the site.

Medawisla
04-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi,
In the sample newsletter in this thread, the links are highlighted and when you click on them they take you there. In the newsletter I recieved in my email, the links are not highlighted and I can't click on them. Can you tell me what I can do to get whatever this is called?
Thanx,
Opalsns

I can click on mine too...so I guess I would check the settings of the email...sorry:(