View Full Version : Allegash Locomotives

attroll
02-08-2005, 02:08 PM
http://www.destinationmaine.com/thoreau/trains.htm

I just found this interesting place. I thought this would be a good place to put a cache. Has anyone ever been to this place? I would like to find the coordinates to it or get a good description on how to get there. Here is a brief explanation of what it is:

In the woods that separate Chamberlain and Eagle lakes on the Allagash, we stumble upon a museum. Or is it a graveyard?

Two hulking locomotives - one weighing 142,000 pounds, the other 180,000 - stand in a clearing before us, their massive frames streaked with rust and their whistles silent.

brdad
02-08-2005, 02:39 PM
I've heard of the site and read a few stories about them. I tried to work out a few ATV trips up there, but we never found out if they are allowed in the area. AA1YB's Northern Maine virtual Tour caches, not far from there, were originally traditional caches but some authority (rangers probably, I forget) made him change them to virts.

The trains, however, are on public reserve land, so I am not sure how permission s there. Either way, a cache has recently been approved at the train site. Check out Tramway Treasure (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f39b6733-ac26-4e24-ab1d-5b10835d42f5) .

I'd love to get up there and do that as well as AA1YB's, and a few others in the area.

Hurry, you could be FTF

attroll
02-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Thanks Dave. I just received the coordinates from a fellow snowmobiler and was going to post them here for everyone. But since there is a cache there now there is no need to post hte coordinates.

WhereRWe?
02-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Thanks Dave. I just received the coordinates from a fellow snowmobiler and was going to post them here for everyone. But since there is a cache there now there is no need to post hte coordinates.

If you hurry, you can even get FTF! LOL! :D

attroll
02-09-2005, 12:14 PM
I was thinking of snowmobiling to the cache this weekend until I saw how far up north it was. That is a long ways to drive for a day trip. I would love to go to it. That sounds more like a summer camping trip.

M&M from AZ
02-11-2005, 07:43 PM
You may want to go to the local library and get a copy of Nine Mile Bridge by Helen Hamlin. A great book for the history of the Allagash Area.

attroll
02-12-2005, 02:58 AM
I found some more information on the trains if anyone is interested.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Trains2000.html

Haffy
02-12-2005, 09:24 AM
That's quite the amazing story Rick, thanks for sharing that with us. Being a former employee of the railroad ,I found it very fascinating.

Hiram357
01-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I've been doing some looking into for these trains because i've been wanting to go up and see them. but when I found this post with a cache, i looked up the cache and saw the nice response the AWW manager left. Is it illegal to travel on the AWW even by foot?? I thought it was public reserve land? Anybody know anything about this stuff? :confused: :confused: :confused:

tat
01-30-2006, 03:13 AM
I've been doing some looking into for these trains because i've been wanting to go up and see them. but when I found this post with a cache, i looked up the cache and saw the nice response the AWW manager left. Is it illegal to travel on the AWW even by foot?? I thought it was public reserve land? Anybody know anything about this stuff? :confused: :confused: :confused:

It is classified as a "Wilderness River". This classification is given to rivers with very limmitted access. The land was purchased by the state after a bond was approved by voters who specifically wanted a "Wilderness River".

I'd like to get a cache placed in the AWW that would help explain why the policies are in place.

Sabby
01-30-2006, 08:56 AM
For more information go to this website.

http://www.state.me.us/doc/parks/aww.html

It seems to give a lot of info about the AWW

Hiram357
01-30-2006, 09:15 PM
well I went to the website, and of course it being a state website, it gave me information about everything I didn't want to know... My biggest question is, is anyone allowed to just wander up there???? is there a cost to access the lands???

The G Team
01-30-2006, 10:10 PM
I would like to know too--had planned to take the family up to see them before all the hub-bub started. I have vauge recollections of Dad taking us up to see them around 35 years or so ago in our old International Travel-All.

dí76
01-30-2006, 10:54 PM
I would like to know too--had planned to take the family up to see them before all the hub-bub started. I have vauge recollections of Dad taking us up to see them around 35 years or so ago in our old International Travel-All.

You mean you went to see them without taking a boat. Don't you know how against the rules that is. Even if it is the "woods" your not allowed there on foot. The only way you can get there is by boat or space craft. After all didnt the women with the great personality meet you at the gate and tell you that your not allowed to walk in the woods and still take all your money and send you on your way after telling you that you arent allowed to walk in the woods. Oh did I mention that you are not allowed to walk in the woods. After all skiddahs and loggin trucks dont do that much damage its the foot traffic that fridges everything up. Oh and further more they took the caches out of there so there is no need to go up there.

Well anyway, Mainiac1957, TAT and I are the only logs to have found the cache in there and guess what we WALKED! We deserve the death penalty so what do you say boys should we admit that we destroyed thousands of years of woods becuase we walked in.

Sorry about the tangant its just that they the ones from Mass that own the aaw make rules without ever being there. I'm starting to beleive that the Allagash would have never survived had it not been for the logging in the first place. They should just post it NO TRESPASSING and get rid of the huge tax dollars that are spent to keep us out in the first place.:mad:

dí76
01-30-2006, 10:57 PM
well I went to the website, and of course it being a state website, it gave me information about everything I didn't want to know... My biggest question is, is anyone allowed to just wander up there???? is there a cost to access the lands???

no and yes of course it cost to get in there. Its just like the toll on the interstate. You pay and you cant stop along the road unless it's an emergency. God forbid you to get out of your vehicle. Man Hiram, whats your story. I thought that you may have been somewhat educated in the way that this state works. It's called vacation land because none of us can afford to go up there.:D

Hiram357
01-30-2006, 11:08 PM
ummm... I don't get it Dave.... How do you really feel about all of this??? :rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
01-30-2006, 11:33 PM
I guess since I was up there twice this year they'll have to kill me twice. And yes I too walked in both times.:eek: I made sure not to walk on the "coveted" ground they're so all fired worried about. I just floated in there just above the ground so not to destroy the natural beauty/woods. OK so I'm being a "little" sarcastic. But I'm with Dave on this subject for sure. The AWW might as well be a park in Mass. Either that or Roxanne Quimby might as well buy it for her collection.

Sudonim
01-31-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm a little confused. How do they keep all the deer, moose, and other creatures from walking around FREELY in those woods, messing up nature as they go. Some of them are probably even eating (and worse) in those pristine woods. Somebody should do something about it.:rolleyes:

dí76
01-31-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm a little confused. How do they keep all the deer, moose, and other creatures from walking around FREELY in those woods, messing up nature as they go. Some of them are probably even eating (and worse) in those pristine woods. Somebody should do something about it.:rolleyes:

They fly over real low with a crop duster filled with anthrax and they kill them. Thats what thet get for being animals in the aaw

Hiram357
02-01-2006, 12:22 AM
We should form an Anti-AWW Coalition, I elect dave to be the leader.

firefighterjake
02-01-2006, 11:50 AM
. . . and in related news.

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=128187&z=175%20class=