View Full Version : GC8950-B52 Crash Stash

Cache Maine
11-23-2007, 08:32 PM
B52 Crash Stash (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fd30e94f-da74-4ae0-993d-4fc498e0c0ab)

We recently adopted this cache and had made plans to check on it this weekend.

We drove the 80 miles to check on this one, and the last 10 miles were close to impassable. The access road to the site was glare ice but we dropped it into 4WD and took on the challenge. Finally, at the site, we worked our way through snow and a crusty coating of frozen rain...and was unable to retreive the container from the location that I remember it to be in. :(

I have disabled the listing until spring. I do believe that the container is still there. If anyone happens to be in the area, and remembers the location...please attempt to locate this and secure it high in the tree. Take care that it can't be seen from the road, but off the ground. It would be greatly appreciated.

We made it safely back out the access road, and finally found tar road again. I think this location is worthy of a cache, and I can't wait to get back in the spring to be able to enjoy more than I did today!

Always an adventure here at the Cache Maine camp!

hollora
11-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Ralph and I had a similar experience in my adoption (and it has been adopted again by happy trolls) of Stonehouse Blues. The road was ice over granite and broke riverlettes of water running down from the hill. I don't think as bad as you may have encountered but it may not be passable soon.

Sorry you could not retrieve the cache. The Stonehouse Blues one was totally missing. That could be determined.

Surely you will be back and this will be up and running this spring. I am always up for another approach to and adventure on the Golden Road!:)

Hiram357
11-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Maybe jake still has the picture... but there is a pic of everyone that was at the first TL:2007 event, and we had lined up the vehicles for a pic and if my photographic memory serves me well... ( :rolleyes: ) we are all lined up next to the pine tree that the cache was hidden under.... (maybe if someone can post the pic it will jog your memory a bit) :D

Cache Maine
11-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Hiram, Yes! That would be great! Grasping at straws....well pine trees....at this point! And it was sooooo cold today....brrrrrrr....

firefighterjake
11-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Maybe jake still has the picture... but there is a pic of everyone that was at the first TL:2007 event, and we had lined up the vehicles for a pic and if my photographic memory serves me well... ( :rolleyes: ) we are all lined up next to the pine tree that the cache was hidden under.... (maybe if someone can post the pic it will jog your memory a bit) :D

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1799/cat/500/ppuser/353

To the right of Hiram's Jeep.

Cache Maine
11-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Yep, that's where I was...but I guess I didn't find the right tree...how far off the road was it when you guys found it? I remember it being about 80 or so feet away from the road, at the base of a pine tree, that you had to kinda go around the back in order to get to.

Hiram357
11-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Yep, that's where I was...but I guess I didn't find the right tree...how far off the road was it when you guys found it? I remember it being about 80 or so feet away from the road, at the base of a pine tree, that you had to kinda go around the back in order to get to.

I don't remember it being that far, I remember driving within about 20ft of it. I don't recall much of a walk, I thought it was just across the ditch. :confused:

The G Team
11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't remember it being that far, I remember driving within about 20ft of it. I don't recall much of a walk, I thought it was just across the ditch. :confused:

Yeah, IIRC, it was a step or two over a ditch, then beside a tree.

attroll
11-26-2007, 12:51 AM
It was to the right and over the ditch and about 30 feet in and I believe it was near a small pine tree or something like that.

tat
12-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Perhaps the cache was stolen!

http://bangornews.com/news/t/penquis.aspx?articleid=157199&zoneid=184

Team2hunt
12-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Perhaps the cache was stolen!

http://bangornews.com/news/t/penquis.aspx?articleid=157199&zoneid=184

The cache was a one gallon white plastic container. I looked at the pictures I took. Sorry I didn't have a spoiler to help locate it.

Macmo
12-01-2007, 09:54 PM
The cache is aways from the actual crash site. It is under a small tree, if there is snow,then it is likely buried.

It is really obvious once you know where to look, but without being there it would be impossible to describe the location. I remember in general terms where it is (as it relates to the parking area and road).

Cache Maine
12-02-2007, 01:38 PM
I think the snow really made the rescue impossible. I went right to the spot that it was when I found it years ago....but it could have been moved.

Now, with this latest development, I'm trying to remember the exact make/model/color of the other vehicles there in the area. Unfortunately, Officer Cameo was not on duty that day, or she would have written the plates down. It's kinda spooky to think we could have nailed those guys...

IMHO...there is no way that these guys are taking stuff for scrap....in a 5 gallon bucket? No way...they are taking these artifacts and auctioning them off for BIG money. Please keep your eyes open online and report anything you see in this regard.

hollora
12-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I think the snow really made the rescue impossible. I went right to the spot that it was when I found it years ago....but it could have been moved.

Now, with this latest development, I'm trying to remember the exact make/model/color of the other vehicles there in the area. Unfortunately, Officer Cameo was not on duty that day, or she would have written the plates down. It's kinda spooky to think we could have nailed those guys...

IMHO...there is no way that these guys are taking stuff for scrap....in a 5 gallon bucket? No way...they are taking these artifacts and auctioning them off for BIG money. Please keep your eyes open online and report anything you see in this regard.

Agreed - and as, the Officer and I know - there are many things you see on the trail - stay alert!

firefighterjake
12-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Agreed - and as, the Officer and I know - there are many things you see on the trail - stay alert!

Hmmm . . . there are some things on a certain archived cache in the Ellsworth area I wish I hadn't seen. ;) :D

dubord207
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
The B-52 crash site is a favorite destination for snowmobilers. While I mostly ski now I would take my 2 sleds and Dianne for a "crash-cache" if it's winter friendly. Will it be findable with 3 or 4 feet of snow on the ground?

Haffy
12-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Cameoooo couldn't find it with just a few inches of snow so who knows.... I think either she was looking in the wrong place or it has been muggled.