View Full Version : Winter Friendly Caches

Foxgloves
11-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I pulled a pocket query for VT over the weekend to see how many snowflake friendly caches would turn up. It turned up a list of 100 caches in VT and there are probably more but not everyone uses those friendly little attribution icons (snowflake) when placing a cache.

Just a suggestion for those of you who are placing caches in the near future to utilizing those icons on the cache page if your cache is in fact winter friendly. Its a great way to keep geocachers active in the winter months. I was surprised at how many I got from the pocket query.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/EMSDudette/ANGEL_122.gif

tat
11-26-2007, 02:17 PM
You can also look for "not snow friendly" caches, to see the caches that you should wait for.

Team2hunt
11-26-2007, 07:04 PM
That smiley sure looks happy making that perfect snow angel. Mine always have a big indentation right where it shouldn't be. :confused: I never thought about pulling a PQ to look for the icon. Thanks for the idea. :)

hollora
11-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Yes, that's a great idea - and it would work for other queries too. I try to include those icons with new cache placements. But one can go back and add them too.

Team2hunt
11-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I tried pulling a pocket query in Maine of winter friendly caches, this was the message I received. :(

Sorry, no results were found for this search.

Does it ever snow in Maine? I don't think enough cachers are using the snowflake icon. I will review mine and add it to the appropriate ones.
Guess I'll just have to dig them out of the snow, this winter.

DNF/RTD Did not find/Refused to dig

Snow depth chart: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/sd1_today.jpg (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/sd1_today.jpg)

Team2hunt
12-03-2007, 10:41 AM
With the forecast calling for 12-18" of snow for most of the No.New England area. You would think this would curtail a lot of caching. For those of us who will venture out, even if we DNF the cache. I will remember to write in my log if the cache was " winter friendly " or not. If there is no icon to determine if the cache is winter friendly. I look for one that has been found recently, or has a good hint. Otherwise I just enjoy being outside, and not stuck inside the house all winter. I am going to be having a snowshoe event sometime this winter. Possibly in late February or early March. Til then I will be working to make a bookmark of snowshoe caches. If you have a particular area that can be done on snowshoes please let me know.

Mainiac1957
12-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Snowshoes AND Event.. Count me in!

WhereRWe?
12-03-2007, 02:40 PM
I am going to be having a snowshoe event sometime this winter. Possibly in late February or early March. Til then I will be working to make a bookmark of snowshoe caches.

We're planning on having our WWWWWW4 event on Feb 23, so if you could work around that weekend we'd appreciate it! LOL! :D :D

Team2hunt
12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
We're planning on having our WWWWWW4 event on Feb 23, so if you could work around that weekend we'd appreciate it! LOL! :D :D

I would NEVER interfere with the WWWWWW4 Event. That one will be very special. :) :D

Hiram357
12-03-2007, 02:46 PM
With the forecast calling for 12-18" of snow for most of the No.New England area. You would think this would curtail a lot of caching. For those of us who will venture out, even if we DNF the cache. I will remember to write in my log if the cache was " winter friendly " or not. If there is no icon to determine if the cache is winter friendly. I look for one that has been found recently, or has a good hint. Otherwise I just enjoy being outside, and not stuck inside the house all winter. I am going to be having a snowshoe event sometime this winter. Possibly in late February or early March. Til then I will be working to make a bookmark of snowshoe caches. If you have a particular area that can be done on snowshoes please let me know.

and overnight snowshoe/camping event????????????????

(My DOCTOR would like to go to another one of those events...)

Mainiac1957
12-03-2007, 03:01 PM
With 4 or more Maine events already on the books or planned. Can't wait!! I put the WWWWWWWWWWWW4 on my calender.

hollora
12-03-2007, 03:54 PM

To bad nearly everyone has done the EMSDanel's zoo......but the parking might be a problem. Humm - what about an event to put out "winter friendly caches" - if you could find a tract of land big enough.

Team2hunt
12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I pulled a Vermont " winter friendly " PQ today. The search resulted in 407 caches that are active and I have not found.

Vermont 407 Maine 0

Guess where I'll be caching this winter. :cool:

Cache Maine
12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I pulled a Vermont " winter friendly " PQ today. The search resulted in 407 caches that are active and I have not found.

Vermont 407 Maine 0

Guess where I'll be caching this winter. :cool:

That sums up the hockey season too, but I'm sticking with the home team.

Team2hunt
12-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I was sent an email today, entitled... What did you do wrong? (that's another whole thread) I opened it to find a Maine winter friendly cache PQ. After some work with GSAK. Here are the new totals

Vermont 407 Maine 244

Thanks for the help and the PQ. Hmmmmm....what did I do wrong? :confused:

Thanks again to Foxgloves for pointing this out, and giving me something to do on a snowy day in December.

dubord207
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm happy to see this as it was a question I had. I ski at Sugarloaf and know there a few on the mountain that a skiier friendly, but as I think back on the hundred or so I grabbed in November, most are now buried. Haffy says he has "pokey stick." But, he's in the South now where "pokey sticks" are used to kick rattlers out of nooks and crannies. Anyway, I'm planning on putting out a few new caches here in Maine soon and I will use the "Snow Angel" thingie if I can figure out how to get it on my computer.......Let it now, let it snow, let it snow!!!!

Team2hunt
12-05-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm planning on putting out a few new caches here in Maine soon and I will use the "Snow Angel" thingie if I can figure out how to get it on my computer.......Let it now, let it snow, let it snow!!!!

If you want to make your cache winter friendly. I would recommend using the icon provided by Geocaching.com.http://www.geocaching.com/images/attributes/winter-yes.gif

You can find it under attributes. I do like the "Snow Angel" Thingie too.

dubord207
12-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Great Idea. Haffy says take a "pokey stick" and use that! Di is concerned that about having to tell our friends that "Dan's out in the woods looking for things with his pokey stick!" I like the snow angel symbol idea. Folks with existing caches might mark their caches as rummaging around snow buried rocks might make us all look even more crazy than we already do!

firefighterjake
12-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Great Idea. Haffy says take a "pokey stick" and use that! Di is concerned that about having to tell our friends that "Dan's out in the woods looking for things with his pokey stick!" I like the snow angel symbol idea. Folks with existing caches might mark their caches as rummaging around snow buried rocks might make us all look even more crazy than we already do!

Whadda ya mean . . . looking even more crazy? The only reason Hiram and I wear the tinfoil hats when we geocache is because it helps improve the GPS reception . . . well that and the aliens won't be able to read our thoughts. ;):D