View Full Version : Sadness fills the air today...

Hiram357
11-26-2007, 06:30 PM
As we have had a great loss in the ORCA family... My jeep, is no longer with us... There was an accident, and the insurance company calls it a total loss claim... :( :( :(

I salvaged what I could off of it today, hopefully I can sell it off and get a new jeep pretty soon.

but I was thinking long term just in case, about the next TL event... I was thinking we could call it...

TL: 2008 "I CALL SHOTGUN!!!" :rolleyes:

I'm trying too look on the bright side of the situation, at least I still have my keen wit, and my stunning good looks! :D

hollora
11-26-2007, 06:41 PM
OMG - what happened? Did you hit something or did some sumchk hit you? Totaled??????? Not fair! Well, I will probably have room - you want the baby seat, shotgun or the other side? Sorry to hear about your loss Hiram!

Hiram357
11-26-2007, 07:13 PM
OMG - what happened? Did you hit something or did some sumchk hit you? Totaled??????? Not fair! Well, I will probably have room - you want the baby seat, shotgun or the other side? Sorry to hear about your loss Hiram!

Well... it was pretty much my fault, I went to cross rt 4 after a semi went by, and as i pulled out i realized there was a truck right behind that semi, my front bumper absorbed most of the impact, but the frame twisted and snaped and cracked when it got smacked. All the bumper has is some smalls dents but the shock that jolted the jeep pretty much scrambled everything else... funny though, I've gone about 7yrs with nothing on my record and I was just thinking the day before it happend how fortunate I was that nothing has happend... and then it hit me... :rolleyes:

and like i said... "I CALL SHOTGUN!" :D

The G Team
11-26-2007, 07:20 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Horrible, horrible news! Lucky no one was seriously injured!

So, any parts for sale :D We should talk!

Could you buy the carcass back from the insurance co?

hollora
11-26-2007, 08:07 PM
So happy to hear you are ok - I know you loved that vehicle but it is just metal.

Wow - as for buying back and parts - my son or a friend - I forget the story bought back the motorcycle he totaled (and thankfully both he and his wife were ok)........and did something parting it out.

Most companies want their pay out back and could care less about the parts - but those who want the parts hate to see them go to the crusha.....

Glad you are ok. That means a lot!

Cache Maine
11-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Hiram, sorry to hear the news....these vehicles are important to us....I know the feeling. Hope you are jeepin' again soon, and glad to hear that you are ok.

Mainiac1957
11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm trying too look on the bright side of the situation, at least I still have my keen wit, and my stunning good looks! :D

Well....One out of two ain't bad. And I'm not saying which one!!:rolleyes:

So does this mean it has to go to the TB Graveyard in the Atlantic Ocean now?

All kidding aside. I'm just very glad to hear YOU are alright.

Hiram357
11-26-2007, 09:27 PM
I know you loved that vehicle but it is just metal.

blasphemey!!!! it was more than metal! :(

(the real kicker was that I lost my beloved GPS72 while hunting that day too... I didn't realize I lost it until I found myself lost... there's nothing left of Hiram but this empty shell...:( )

Hiram, sorry to hear the news....these vehicles are important to us....I know the feeling. Hope you are jeepin' again soon, and glad to hear that you are ok.

Well, I've already started looking (priced out military grade Humvees... but the cheapest one I found was about 40k...)

Well....One out of two ain't bad. And I'm not saying which one!!:rolleyes:

So does this mean it has to go to the TB Graveyard in the Atlantic Ocean now?

All kidding aside. I'm just very glad to hear YOU are alright.

you don't think I'm witty!!!???!?!?!?!! :eek: :p ;)

But out of curiosity I left the TB tag on the back door to see if any interesting stories show up... :rolleyes:

Hiram357
11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Horrible, horrible news! Lucky no one was seriously injured!

Could you buy the carcass back from the insurance co?

The only injuries sustained were those of my pride... :o

and the carcass is already gone... (but I saved a few things... the roof rack, the bumper, the spare tire, and the owners manual. I'm going to use the manual for a symbolic cremation and then go spread the ashes atop hedgehog hill.) :D

Medawisla
11-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I really shouldn't be posting, this is a moment for Hiram...or what's left of him...

But I don't want to get left behind from the TL 2008 trip:

I CALL THE BABY SEAT!!! :D

...or I can ride with FFJ and make him laugh as I weeble wobble all about! :p

May the white jeep RIP, and thank God Hiram didn't commit suicide after losing his GPS and Jeep!! :rolleyes:

...and I see it coming, so I'll put your curiosity aside before Hiram gets any more hits (pun intended): I was not in the Jeep at the time of the accident, therefore: I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT! :o :rolleyes:

becket
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM
(the real kicker was that I lost my beloved GPS72 while hunting that day too... I didn't realize I lost it until I found myself lost... :( )

you will be all set if you kept your magellan from the beer & wings event! :D :D :D (i am glad that you didn't get hurt.)

Hiram357
11-26-2007, 10:56 PM
you will be all set if you kept your magellan from the beer & wings event! :D :D :D (i am glad that you didn't get hurt.)

actually it was pouring down rain that day, the magellan would have been to soggy to read.... :rolleyes: (but that's probably the reason why I didn't hear it hit the ground... I have an idea of the area it might be in... but its about 1sq mile of really thick friggen puckerbrush...:( ) :D

firefighterjake
11-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Hey buddy . . . sorry to hear about your double loss . . . I really am . . . even if it was only a Jeep and a Garmin. ;) :D

All kidding aside, if you need anything let me know (short of a $40K loan to buy that Hummer . . . I was thinking more along the line of a ride somewhere, borrowed vehicle -- as long as you don't pull out in front of any large trucks -- help searching for the Garmin, etc.)

firefighterjake
11-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Oh I forgot to add something pretty important . . . they make new vehicles every day, but Hirams are pretty darn unique . . . glad you didn't get hurt in any way (other than your pride perhaps.)

becket
11-27-2007, 08:37 AM
actually it was pouring down rain that day, the magellan would have been to soggy to read.... :rolleyes: (but that's probably the reason why I didn't hear it hit the ground... I have an idea of the area it might be in... but its about 1sq mile of really thick friggen puckerbrush...:( ) :D
jake and i wondered why you got the only model that was not waterproof!

tat
11-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Post the coordinates, it'll make a great first finders prize! Cache is within .5 mile of posted coordinates!!! :)

Hiram357
11-27-2007, 05:18 PM
jake and i wondered why you got the only model that was not waterproof!

Waterproof?? that thing was bulletproof, that's the same GPS that spent the winter being plowed around the parking lot in front of my apartment, the one that I jumped into the river after to retrive it as it floated downstream after falling off of a train trestle bridge, the one that has caused me to climb mountains more that once in one day because it decided to go back down as I was still going up, the one that has found me over 300 caches, the one that has over 50k miles logged on the odometer! that was "THE" GPS... :( and now it's gone... gone... :( *sniff* did i mention, gone???

(short of a $40K loan to buy that Hummer . . . HUMVEE!! NOT A HUMMER!! THERE'S A DIFFERENCE!! :p ;) :rolleyes: :D

Post the coordinates, it'll make a great first finders prize! Cache is within .5 mile of posted coordinates!!! :)

well, if you know where the cache is on streaked mt. just head about 5mi NW of there, and youll find a large patch of land (about 500 some acres...) it's out there somewhere where the thick stuff meets the pines about 500' from the stream... :rolleyes: ;) :p

becket
11-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Waterproof?? that thing was bulletproof, that's the same GPS that spent the winter being plowed around the parking lot in front of my apartment, the one that I jumped into the river after to retrive it as it floated downstream after falling off of a train trestle bridge, the one that has caused me to climb mountains more that once in one day because it decided to go back down as I was still going up, the one that has found me over 300 caches, the one that has over 50k miles logged on the odometer! that was "THE" GPS... :( and now it's gone... gone... :( *sniff* did i mention, gone???

you silly! i meant the magellan model that you had! we thought you would have gotten one of the waterproof models!

Medawisla
11-27-2007, 06:11 PM
you silly! i meant the magellan model that you had! we thought you would have gotten one of the waterproof models!

Naw, Hiram would never actually pay money for a magellan...so that leaves the non-waterproof 2D version.:rolleyes:

Hiram357
11-27-2007, 06:16 PM

lol, oh yeah, that one! well... i suppose i could laminate it... :rolleyes: :p

hollora
11-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Was able to help with T2H's PDA but this is a 5/5 for me ........ so, no can do.

Wonder if the area is heavily hunted if a Lost add in Uncle Henry's would help - or signs on the trees near where you went in? It might be found - any ID on it? What a bummer.....but you never know - it might find it's way home.

I lost my PDA on Vinal Haven this summer when I went out. On a hunt for the cache which is on the trails - back side of the island. Thought it was gone forever and was going to post a finders fee notice by the ferry terminal when we left. Was traveling with wellsuh and mondrake, who said - let's just walk back in that trail where we started for a bit. That was a good move - voila - there is was about 50' in. I had lost it a long while before I realized it was gone.

You just never know.

Hiram357
11-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Was able to help with T2H's PDA but this is a 5/5 for me ........ so, no can do.

Wonder if the area is heavily hunted if a Lost add in Uncle Henry's would help - or signs on the trees near where you went in? It might be found - any ID on it? What a bummer.....but you never know - it might find it's way home.

I lost my PDA on Vinal Haven this summer when I went out. On a hunt for the cache which is on the trails - back side of the island. Thought it was gone forever and was going to post a finders fee notice by the ferry terminal when we left. Was traveling with wellsuh and mondrake, who said - let's just walk back in that trail where we started for a bit. That was a good move - voila - there is was about 50' in. I had lost it a long while before I realized it was gone.

You just never know.

The first page on bootup has my name and contact information, there is an area nearby that is heavily hunted, but i was way off the beaten path, goin through some thick stuff that most hunters would probably much rather avoid, so chances of someone stumbling upon it are slim to none... :( but theres a good chance that a turdy point buck will be geocaching soon! :rolleyes:

hollora
11-27-2007, 07:58 PM
I did the same thing with my bootup page. Who knows - it was buried in snow - maybe..............otherwise it will be a lucky buck!

HappyTogether
12-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Managed to salvage ONE photo from the camera I had at TL 2007. Guess which vehicle is front and center of the photo?

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2382&cat=503