View Full Version : What's in a Name: Naming the Geocaching Maine Newsletter

Medawisla
11-27-2007, 06:21 PM
As some of you are aware, the Board has started a Geocaching Maine Newsletter. Discussion at http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/showthread.php?p=37054#post37054

I have volunteered to write the newsletter with Board oversight. We have decided to open up a discussion to choose a name for the newsletter. No ideas have yet been put forward, but we hope for something that is encompassing of the geocaching maine community and creatively fun :cool: ;) :D

Post your ideas, thoughts, and reactions to others' posts :D

PS The first newsletter will be sent near the first of December, with the boring title of Geocaching Maine Newsletter. The Geocaching Maine Newsletter will come monthly through the email in your Geocaching Maine Profile. To receive the newsletter, click on "UserCP" in the top menu of the web site at http://www.geocachingmaine.org (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/), click on "Options" in the left menu, make sure "Allow Email from Administrators" is checked in the "Receive Email" section. Click on "Edit Email and Password" in the left menu, make sure your correct email address is entered in the "Edit Email Address (Optional)" section.

WhereRWe?
11-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Sheesh! I don't think "Geocaching Maine Newsletter" is boring! I like it! LOL!

:o :o

Medawisla
11-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Sheesh! I don't think "Geocaching Maine Newsletter" is boring! I like it! LOL!

:o :o

tehehe
I suppose it is good. Kinda like naming your dog "Dog". It works.
:D :p :rolleyes:

attroll
11-28-2007, 12:52 AM
I agree with Bruce. We should call it Geocaching Maine Newsletter. When mailing it out we need to put something in the subject line and "December Geocaching Maine Newsletter" would be the ideal name I think. If were going to give it a name then our name should be in it somewhere.

Mainiac1957
11-28-2007, 07:24 AM
I have two thoughts. The first I had was to use the previously mentioned name, and just turn it around to make it more interesting. Such as "News from Geocachingmaine". The other avenue is to make it fun sounding and maybe bring a few folks back that haven't been on for awhile. Such as calling it "The Ammo Can" as in look in here, lots of good stuff. With as many creative folks as we have here then I'm sure a name with come to us. I personally am on enough that I see all the news anyway. Good luck Stef.

Medawisla
11-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Come on TAT, you gotta post, you got me into this naming thing! :o ;) (That and Rick didn't respond to the naming the newsletter part of the newsletter after reading it a couple times, so I assumed he was in favor of naming it something different.)

So post your ideas!! :D

Medawisla
11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
I have two thoughts. The first I had was to use the previously mentioned name, and just turn it around to make it more interesting. Such as "News from Geocachingmaine". The other avenue is to make it fun sounding and maybe bring a few folks back that haven't been on for awhile. Such as calling it "The Ammo Can" as in look in here, lots of good stuff. With as many creative folks as we have here then I'm sure a name with come to us. I personally am on enough that I see all the news anyway. Good luck Stef.

I like The Ammo Can. We can add The Geocaching Maine Newsletter after it like this:
The Ammo Can: the Geocaching Maine newsletter

tat
11-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Well, I still haven't named my boat, and that's been 6 years!! :)

I'm still thinking of what the name should be:
1. Short. If not short, than something that is easily shortend. Take the wbsite name for example: GeocachingMaine.org is too long, but GCMaine.org is a perfect short version. Often, I will say GCMaine.org in conversation because the other takes too long to say. The newsletter name could also be long, if there is a good, obvious nic name for it.

2. The name should shout out this website in no uncertain terms. The connection should be automatic and easy for newer members to know what it is and where it came from.

3. The name should attract people somehow. It should be either fun or clever or tie into some popular Maine theme.

Anyway, I'm still thinking!

WhereRWe?
11-28-2007, 09:25 AM
I like The Ammo Can. We can add The Geocaching Maine Newsletter after it like this:
The Ammo Can: the Geocaching Maine newsletter

Sheesh! Following this line of thought, we could also call it:

Behind the Guardrail: The Geocaching Maine Newsletter.

or

At The Base of the Stopsign: The Geocaching Maine Newsletter

or at least:

The Film Can: The Geocaching Maine Newsletter!

LOL! ;) ;) ;)

darterkitfox
11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
The guardrail? We could name it for something of Gob-lers but then it would be too small to read.

Cache Maine
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
The Nanoosletter

Foxgloves
11-28-2007, 11:55 AM
“Satellites on Demand” Newsletter
(Maine SOD) :rolleyes:

Team2hunt
11-28-2007, 10:28 PM
The Ammo Can: Maine's Geocaching Newsletter

Haffy
11-29-2007, 05:43 PM
How about "THE LOGBOOK" The GeocachingMaine Newsletter

Hiram357
11-29-2007, 05:56 PM
How about "THE LOGBOOK" The GeocachingMaine Newsletter

I dunno, "Ammo Can" makes it sound rugged, durable, and dependable... "Log Book" just makes me think soggy, stinky, and ya can't write anything in...

Or "The wanderer: The Geocaching Maine Newsletter" with a sub heading of "not all who wander are lost" would be pretty cool... :D :cool:

firefighterjake
11-30-2007, 08:47 AM
. . .with a sub heading of "not all who wander are lost" . . .

. . . it's just that they're using a Magellan!"

Medawisla
11-30-2007, 07:19 PM
great ideas so far everyone!! :D :cool: keep them coming, we'll be watching the thread all the month of December and chosing a name at the end of the month before the January newsletter is released. :)

Hiram357
11-30-2007, 07:40 PM
is there going to be a voting poll for the name??

Medawisla
12-01-2007, 11:48 AM
is there going to be a voting poll for the name??

Pending Board decision.
More likely, the Board will take all the great suggestions posted here and choose the one that best encompasses the entire geocaching maine community and best names the newsletter as officially from Geocachingmaine.org.
If the Board does decide a pole, I've offered to compile the suggestions here, or the suggestions here chosen by the board, and create the pole.
But for now keep the ideas flowing! :D :cool:

Haffy
12-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Voting Poll or telephone Pole? :confused: ;) :eek: :D

Medawisla
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Yes, Poll, I knew Pole looked funny...:rolleyes:

Anyway, if you have ideas or would like to support some that were given here, speak up. :D

Rick, We might want to move thread to the Newsletter Forum...?:confused: