View Full Version : Garmin update

Haffy
12-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Gob-ler had this posted on the other site so thought I would share it with you here as well.

For the 60 csx/cx.

go to:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-27

and download the latest version of web updater for Garmin.

Plug your 60 csx/cx into the computer port and run web updater.

Version 3.00 will be downloaded and installed.

bgrffdave
12-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the tip. Garmin's Web Updater makes keeping a unit up to date (which is important) SO EASY! It's something everyone should be doing on a regular basis even if your GPSr is working fine.

Could you post a link for exactly what thread that came from? The link isn't complete and I'd like to see what that page has for information. Garmin's website lists the most current software for the Cx/CSx as "Ver. 3.50 as of Aug 02, 2007"; not version 3. Gob-ler may want to run the updater again.

Haffy
12-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Here is his link:

http://www.mainegeocachingassociation.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=594

Gob-ler
12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
There are two software items for the garmin GPS. The software version is version 3.50 and the GPS Software Version is version 3.00.

Two completely different things.

Haffy
12-03-2007, 05:59 PM
???? I'm confused?

WhereRWe?
12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
???? I'm confused?

Sheesh! What an opportunity for a smart remark! LOL! :p :p

Haffy
12-03-2007, 07:53 PM
GO FOR IT!!!!!:confused: :D

Gob-ler
12-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Hummm, let me try and clear it up.

In the gps, there is a set of software that sets the parameters that the sirf chipset and hardware uses. This is what enables the gps to know what is what as it relates to satellites and so forth. I maybe wrong, but it is kind of like the operating system for your computer. This is the software upgrade that I posted about, it is GPS Software Version 3.00 for the Garmin GPSMAP 60scx/sx.

Then there is software within the gps itself that sets how the data received from the unit is intrepreted for us the users to understand and use. For instance, one of the functions that has seen several upgrades in the past was the Compass feature. There have been several tweaks and fixes for that alone. Other things as well like how the memory cards are used have been tweaked and there is a list on the Garmin Web Sight that tells what all of these have been. The latest version for these items is software version 3.50.

I know it is confusing, but that is how it works. Most all GPS receivers have software that relates to the hardware functions and then more software that relates to the actual software functions within the units.

Does that make any sense at all?

Haffy
12-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Yep got it!!! Thanks Dick , So where is your retort Bruce? :p

WhereRWe?
12-04-2007, 08:31 AM
So where is your retort Bruce? :p

Nope. I'm being nice this week. ;) ;)

firefighterjake
12-04-2007, 08:39 AM

Hoping to get on Santa's "Nice" list for Christmas, eh? ;) :D

firefighterjake
12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Hmmm . . . I think Magellan "updates" consist of changing the batteries. ;) :D

Haffy
12-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Must be in the holiday spirit already huh? ;)

Osceola
02-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX and I'm sure I need to update the software on the unit. It is working nicely, but I have had it for about a year and a half. The only problem I have is the following caveat from the Garmin website. It says:

"This software should only be uploaded to the unit for which it is intended. If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product it is designed for, it will render the unit inoperative.

If the software upload fails, and subsequent upload attempts prove unsuccessful, the unit may need to be returned to Garmin for service."

Should I be concerned about this especially the second caveat? I don't want to mess up a good thing!

Haffy
02-07-2008, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't be; just go to the Garmin site and they are specific as to what you need to update for your specific unit. Just download the latest Garmin Updater and you should be good to go.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

Hennry
08-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Garmin has confirmed that part number 010-10989-51 for the City Navigator North America 2009 Update is exacting the same DVD as the one on this page with part number 010-10989-01. The reason for the slight different in the part number is due to the packaging. The City Navigator North America 2009 Update DVD that we ship is on a plastic clamp shell packaging.
----------------
Hennry

Maine Drug Treatment (http://www.drugtreatments.com/maine)

WhereRWe?
08-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Garmin has confirmed that part number 010-10989-51 for the City Navigator North America 2009 Update is exacting the same DVD as the one on this page with part number 010-10989-01. The reason for the slight different in the part number is due to the packaging. The City Navigator North America 2009 Update DVD that we ship is on a plastic clamp shell packaging.
----------------
Hennry

I'm not sure is "Hennry" is a legitimate member or not. Although he say he's from "Portland", the IP address he joined from - 122.165.25.42 (http://wq.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl) (go to link and enter number) - was issued by an Australia based domain registry commonly used by Chinese spammers. It is registered to a company in India.

Use discretion if you want to correspond with this member.

Gob-ler
08-19-2008, 11:49 AM
A bit odd I would say! Talking about upgrading software for a GPS and then getting a note about something unrelated some 6 months later? Hmmmmm?

firefighterjake
08-19-2008, 12:04 PM
----------------
Hennry

I would be a bit suspicious based on the fact that in only six lines of text there are three grammatical/syntax errors that might make one think this is someone not completely familiar with the English language (i.e. "is exacting the same DVD", "for the slight different in the part number" and "plastic clamp shell packaging."

There is also the Maine Drug Treatment link (at least I'm assuming it's a link), odd spelling of "Henry" and fact that the first post here is an attempt to sell products . . . and as mentioned by WhereRwe and Gob-ler the IP address is suspect and the fact that this topic is popping up now is a bit odd.

Of course I have been wrong before about prospective new members so who knows . . . maybe some Australian who once lived in Portland who has bad grammar/syntax really felt compelled to comment on an old topic. . . . ;):D

robt
08-19-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure is "Hennry" is a legitimate member or not. Although he say he's from "Portland", the IP address he joined from - 122.165.25.42 (http://wq.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl) (go to link and enter number) - was issued by an Australia based domain registry commonly used by Chinese spammers. It is registered to a company in India.

Use discretion if you want to correspond with this member.

I would say I would also be a bit leary in dealing wiht this person for 2 reasons.

1. The software is not packed in Garmin's packaging, IE in a clamp Shell. This smells of at best a grey market product if not a pirated product.

2. The ip used for this member to join is for an isp based in India. From what I know their is not internet providers in the portland area who's IP space was issued for india. My thought is that this person is either 1 not in portland or 2 is doing something to conceal where they truely are located.

[whois.apnic.net node-2]
% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 122.165.0.0 - 122.165.31.255
netname: ABTS-TN-DSL-9111-chn
descr: ABTS Tamilnadu,
descr: Access Business Group,DSL Services 101,
descr: Santhome High Road,
descr: Chennai
descr: Tamilnadu
descr: India
descr: Contact Person: K R Narasimhan
descr: Email: *********@airtel.in
descr: Phone:044-42100479
descr: Date of allocation:10-feb-07
admin-c: TN174-AP
tech-c: TN174-AP
mnt-by: MAINT-IN-BBIL
mnt-routes: MAINT-IN-TELEMEDIA
changed: *********@airtel.in 20080802
source: APNIC

route: 122.165.25.0/24
descr: BHARTI-IN
descr: Bharti Tele-Ventures Limited
descr: Class A ISP in INDIA .
descr: 234 , OKHLA PHASE III ,
descr: NEW DELHI
descr: INDIA
origin: AS24560
mnt-by: MAINT-IN-BBIL
changed: *********@airtel.in 20080803

person: Network Administrator for ABTS TN
address: ABTS Tamilnadu
address: 101,Santhome High Road,Chennai,Tamilnadu
phone: +91-44-52100004
e-mail: *********@airtel.in
nic-hdl: TN174-AP
remarks: -----------------------------
remarks: Send abuse reports to
remarks: *********@airtel.in
remarks: -----------------------------
mnt-by: MAINT-IN-TELEMEDIA
changed: *********@airtel.in 20080725

WhereRWe?
08-19-2008, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=robt;45455]I would say I would also be a bit leary in dealing wiht this person for 2 reasons.

1. The software is not packed in Garmin's packaging, IE in a clamp Shell. This smells of at best a grey market product if not a pirated product.

2. The ip used for this member to join is for an isp based in India. From what I know their is not internet providers in the portland area who's IP space was issued for india. My thought is that this person is either 1 not in portland or 2 is doing something to conceal where they truely are located.

Sheesh! You can't use reason #2 - I already said that! :p:p

robt
08-19-2008, 08:32 PM
[quote=robt;45455]I would say I would also be a bit leary in dealing wiht this person for 2 reasons.

Sheesh! You can't use reason #2 - I already said that! :p:p

I was just trying to support your comment by the fact that I know of no ISP in the portland area that would be useing an ip from india is all.

hollora
08-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks folks for being on this - when an ISP doesn't match a profile - I just wonder why they are allowed on the website - but hey, just a question?!

Team2hunt
08-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks folks for being on this - when an ISP doesn't match a profile - I just wonder why they are allowed on the website - but hey, just a question?!

on this one. First post and it looks suspicious. IMHO....:confused:

hollora
08-19-2008, 10:34 PM
on this one. First post and it looks suspicious. IMHO....:confused:

Yeah, I agree - why are they allowed in.........

WhereRWe?
08-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I agree - why are they allowed in.........

I receive notification of all new members to send them a formal welcome. If one looks suspicious, I pass my concerns to Rick (Attroll - our webmaster) who makes the decision to delete or not. Usually, other members are never aware that they were ever here but in this case, since the "new member" posted a message, I felt the need to comment in the forums.

We can't keep a "new member" from joining, the only thing we can do is catch the fake ones after they join. If anyone else has a concern about a new member, they should let Rick know. :D:D

Saint367
08-20-2008, 07:36 AM
In a lot of the Internet fraud cases that I investigate, they use the name "Henry". Most claim to be from within the US, but the IP always comes back overseas. Coincidence...?

Haffy
08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
In a lot of the Internet fraud cases that I investigate, they use the name "Henry". Most claim to be from within the US, but the IP always comes back overseas. Coincidence...?

Just curious Saint367, what is it that you do for a living that you investigate internet fraud cases?

Saint367
08-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Just curious Saint367, what is it that you do for a living that you investigate internet fraud cases?

Caribou PD

...just loads of fun :rolleyes:

WhereRWe?
08-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Sheesh, Haffy! Worried about getting caught? :p:p

(JUST KIDDING!!!) :D:D

aaronpriest
08-21-2008, 09:54 AM
I have a 60CSx that WebUpdater 2.4.1 would not update past 2.90 for the G chipset. Garmin does not make 3.00 available on their website, but one of their engineers directed me to http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/agree.html where I could download it. I grabbed GPSChipsetTypeG_300.exe and GPSMAP60CSx_370.exe from the gps60 folder. I don't recall which order I installed them in (it only worked in the right order), but it worked great for me. Lots of other Garmin updates there too for other units.

And since I'm on FairPoint, my IP could be from China too... :D

firefighterjake
08-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Get newest Garmin GPS receivers and software here . . . I am a former deposed Minister of Foreign Affairs of Zimbabwe and while in power I was able to purchase a boat-load of Garmins cheap. However, due to most unfortunate circumstances I am most unhappy to report that I must either send out these Garmin Avalanches to some very pleased Americans for free and safe keeping.

All I ask is that you contact me with your bank account number, social security number and your first born child and I will then most happily send you not only 1,000 Garmin Avalanches, but also $5 million Zimbabwe gold medallions (which is equivalent to $4.5 million US dollars.) You may keep both the Garmins and money as a token of my most happy appreciation of the help you are giving me and my people. ;):D

robt
08-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Get newest Garmin GPS receivers and software here . . . I am a former deposed Minister of Foreign Affairs of Zimbabwe and while in power I was able to purchase a boat-load of Garmins cheap. However, due to most unfortunate circumstances I am most unhappy to report that I must either send out these Garmin Avalanches to some very pleased Americans for free and safe keeping.

All I ask is that you contact me with your bank account number, social security number and your first born child and I will then most happily send you not only 1,000 Garmin Avalanches, but also $5 million Zimbabwe gold medallions (which is equivalent to $4.5 million US dollars.) You may keep both the Garmins and money as a token of my most happy appreciation of the help you are giving me and my people. ;):D

hmm, even if you cleaned out my bank account and never sent me anything I think I could still see a profit just by getting rid of my first born.... :D:D:D Do you really think you want to take that offer?

firefighterjake
08-21-2008, 04:24 PM
hmm, even if you cleaned out my bank account and never sent me anything I think I could still see a profit just by getting rid of my first born.... :D:D:D Do you really think you want to take that offer?

:D:D:D:D:D Depends on how old she is! ;):D:D:D