View Full Version : Snowshoe Event

Team2hunt
12-17-2007, 07:47 PM
I will plan to have my snowshoe event in March. I am looking to see which weekend will work for the most people who would like to join us. I will be centering the event around the Southern Maine area, probally Freeport. There are plenty of caches in the area to snowshoe to. I haven't come up with a place to meet, but that will come soon enough.

So who wants to come and what weekends will work? There are 4 weekends and I would like to hold it on a Saturday. That leaves....

8, 15 , 22 and the 29th.

Of course it's being held no matter what the weather. :cool:

Snow should not be a problem. :p

hollora
12-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Ok - so do you have inside skinny? Which weekend were we going to do the Pirate Event?? :eek: heee, heee - no, just kidding - you are all set - we are moving it to a bit later (info will follow soon).

FYI - the weekend of the 15th is the Sportsman show in Orono and probably Augusta (it was last year) too and also the weekend of Palm Sunday. Weekend of the 22nd is Easter weekend.

Those big weekends will matter to some. A Saturday event may not effect anyone.

Depending on the itininery, I might join you (even in Freeport) but the Sportsman Show weekend is out as I will be working Thursday - Sunday - 14 hour days on the show. I don't snowshoe a lot better than I cross country ski or walk down a trail but I do have a good time and am a good sport. Do you have anyone lined up with a wrecker for those who fall down?:rolleyes:

Too bad those snowshoe coins weren't done:rolleyes:

dubord207
12-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Sounds like fun! Dianne and I have two 700 cc 3 cylinder Yamaha snowshoes, each capable of locating a whole bunch of caches in a real hurry! But alas, we both have Tubbs snowshoes and will come whatever weekend you choose. We can bring the Yamahas but not sure the town of Freeport is ready for that type of deal. Sounds llike fun, while we're new, we like doing it in the snow!

Mainiac1957
12-17-2007, 11:33 PM
I will plan to have my snowshoe event in March. I am looking to see which weekend will work for the most people who would like to join us. I will be centering the event around the Southern Maine area, probally Freeport. There are plenty of caches in the area to snowshoe to. I haven't come up with a place to meet, but that will come soon enough.

So who wants to come and what weekends will work? There are 4 weekends and I would like to hold it on a Saturday. That leaves....

8, 15 , 22 and the 29th.

Of course it's being held no matter what the weather. :cool:

Snow should not be a problem. :p

So is this going to be a camping event as well?

firefighterjake
12-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Sounds like fun! Dianne and I have two 700 cc 3 cylinder Yamaha snowshoes . . .

Ah, my kind of snowshoes . . . although I run with a 583cc engine and a much lighter two-cylinder two-stroke Skidoo Rev which makes floating across the snow fairly easy . . . I know it's a big difference in weight and floatation compared to my old 500 sled.

FuddsGirls
12-18-2007, 07:21 AM
I can't wait for basketball to be over. I am hoping that we will be able to make it, especially so close to home but my oldest should be playing in tournaments in March. This is our first year of travel team and I'm not quite sure how all that works out. It could be an excuse for new toys. Fudd's been wanting to get snow shoes for sometime and I didn't ask for anything for Christmas this year.

firefighterjake
12-18-2007, 07:24 AM
I can't wait for basketball to be over. I am hoping that we will be able to make it, especially so close to home but my oldest should be playing in tournaments in March. This is our first year of travel team and I'm not quite sure how all that works out. It could be an excuse for new toys. Fudd's been wanting to get snow shoes for sometime and I didn't ask for anything for Christmas this year.

You sound like a snowmobile buddy of mine . . . his boy is on a travel team and local team and he's pretty much told me that riding on the weekends until March will be non-existent for him.

FuddsGirls
12-18-2007, 08:35 AM
You sound like a snowmobile buddy of mine . . . his boy is on a travel team and local team and he's pretty much told me that riding on the weekends until March will be non-existent for him.
Yeah I didn't realize just how much of a family commitment it would be but now a days, with these multi town schools, the kids need to be really good to make the school teams in 7th grade. Kind of stinks because we were all looking foward to the Elf event recently but there were 2 games that day too.

firefighterjake
12-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Yeah I didn't realize just how much of a family commitment it would be but now a days, with these multi town schools, the kids need to be really good to make the school teams in 7th grade. Kind of stinks because we were all looking foward to the Elf event recently but there were 2 games that day too.

I think my buddy will be out of "action" for quite awhile . . . his son is only in the 3rd grade, so by my reckoning my friend Joe will be going to basketball games for at least nine more years.;) :D That said, my friend wouldn't trade the experience for any amount of snowmobiling . . . and I can't say as I blame him.

hollora
12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
It could be an excuse for new toys. Fudd's been wanting to get snow shoes for sometime and I didn't ask for anything for Christmas this year.

Last year, my daughter and I got awesome aluminum snowshoes marked down for clearance at Sam's Club right after Christmas. You just have to Love those after Christmas sales. Santa can put $ in my stocking!

Hiram357
12-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I think my buddy will be out of "action" for quite awhile . . . his son is only in the 3rd grade, so by my reckoning my friend Joe will be going to basketball games for at least nine more years.;) :D That said, my friend wouldn't trade the experience for any amount of snowmobiling . . . and I can't say as I blame him.

yeah, i was actually considering buying one of those fancy snowshoes this year (since we actaully have snow now...) but unfortunately my circumstances have changed recently....

any idea yet (its probably been mentiond somewhere in the thread already but it's probably surrounded by a whole bunch of words...) where the snowshoe event willl take place?

hollora
12-18-2007, 02:54 PM
any idea yet (its probably been mentiond somewhere in the thread already but it's probably surrounded by a whole bunch of words...) where the snowshoe event willl take place?

Southern Maine - Freeport area maybe - T2H first post:)

firefighterjake
12-18-2007, 02:58 PM
yeah, i was actually considering buying one of those fancy snowshoes this year (since we actaully have snow now...) but unfortunately my circumstances have changed recently....

Well if my brother-in-law keeps all three of the sleds he has at my place and registers them all (or lets me register one of them) I'll invite you over for a ride some weekend.

Hiram357
12-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Southern Maine - Freeport area maybe - T2H first post:)

they get snow down there in MA??? :p ;) :D

Hiram357
12-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Well if my brother-in-law keeps all three of the sleds he has at my place and registers them all (or lets me register one of them) I'll invite you over for a ride some weekend.

either that or we havent been to UHOP for a while... ;)

Team2hunt
12-18-2007, 06:54 PM
So is this going to be a camping event as well?

Sure! If you consider L.L.Bean's camping store a good place to try and get some sleep. :)

Otherwise.......no.

Team2hunt
12-18-2007, 07:17 PM

Is Wamsakookie with a little one? :) Whats a bunch of loons called? :confused: Brewed? :rolleyes:

Medawisla
12-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Is Wamsakookie with a little one? :) Whats a bunch of loons called? :confused: Brewed? :rolleyes:

No...MEDAWISLA :mad: is not "with a little one".:p
We lost the Jeep remember:(
...so Hiram is actually SAVING money for another in the spring:rolleyes:
...Besides, we have good snowshoes; why do we need fancier ones? :rolleyes: ;) :D

Hiram357
12-18-2007, 10:17 PM
...Besides, we have good snowshoes; why do we need fancier ones? :rolleyes: ;) :D

:mad: :mad: :mad:

FuddsGirls
12-19-2007, 08:16 AM
I thought it was a Medascreaming hint also:D although I did remember about the Jeep.
Boys and their toys:rolleyes: .....

firefighterjake
12-19-2007, 09:00 AM
either that or we havent been to UHOP for a while... ;)

Or we can go back to the RR Cafe even . . . or the Lebanese place . . . or the . . . ;) :D

firefighterjake
12-19-2007, 09:02 AM

Because they're not motorized and guys like anything with a motor. It's a guy thing Medawisla! ;) :D

firefighterjake
12-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Just for the record I knew what you were talking about . . . actually wasn't it a double loss with the Jeep and the Garmin? Maybe we should all gather together to memorialize the Great White Jeep (and Garmin) at a Memorial Service at UHOP . . . usually those memorial services result in folks sending you cards full of money and who knows maybe you'd get enough to buy a new one . . . or at least enough to buy a headlight (hey, it would be a start at least.) ;) :D

All kidding aside . . . so your plans are now to buy a new vehicle in the Spring, eh? So much for the house, camera and kayak idea :( . . . but then again that's life . . . things change in the blink of an eye sometimes . . . but as long as you guys have each other you'll be able to weather anything.

firefighterjake
12-19-2007, 09:07 AM

Wow this would blow my mind . . . Hiram Jr. . . . pretty scary to imagine. ;) :D

Incidentally Hiram ol' boy . . . when you should start get worried about this is when Medawisla starts talking about getting a dog or cat . . . from past experiences it seems as though once the wife convinces you to get a dog and/or cat, you're just a day (or evening) away from getting a baby! ;) :D

Hiram357
12-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Or we can go back to the RR Cafe even . . . or the Lebanese place . . . or the . . . ;) :D

Because they're not motorized and guys like anything with a motor. It's a guy thing Medawisla! ;) :D

Just for the record I knew what you were talking about . . . actually wasn't it a double loss with the Jeep and the Garmin? Maybe we should all gather together to memorialize the Great White Jeep (and Garmin) at a Memorial Service at UHOP . . . usually those memorial services result in folks sending you cards full of money and who knows maybe you'd get enough to buy a new one . . . or at least enough to buy a headlight (hey, it would be a start at least.) ;) :D

All kidding aside . . . so your plans are now to buy a new vehicle in the Spring, eh? So much for the house, camera and kayak idea :( . . . but then again that's life . . . things change in the blink of an eye sometimes . . . but as long as you guys have each other you'll be able to weather anything.

Wow this would blow my mind . . . Hiram Jr. . . . pretty scary to imagine. ;) :D

Incidentally Hiram ol' boy . . . when you should start get worried about this is when Medawisla starts talking about getting a dog or cat . . . from past experiences it seems as though once the wife convinces you to get a dog and/or cat, you're just a day (or evening) away from getting a baby! ;) :D

Wow... go to work jake... :rolleyes: :p :D

firefighterjake
12-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Wow... go to work jake... :rolleyes: :p :D

What? This is work for me . . . you think it's easy to come up with these quips? ;) :D Actually, things are kind of slow this week . . . kids are all thinking about Christawanzakahadantet instead of thinking about fire safety. ;) :D

HappyTogether
12-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Wow this would blow my mind . . . Hiram Jr. . ;) :D

one of his first toys would be one of those little battery powered jeeps to cruise around the lawn in :D

yes I know, I'm contributing to the hijacking of a thread, probably be coal in my stocking at Christmas. :p

Hiram357
12-19-2007, 09:01 PM
one of his first toys would be one of those little battery powered jeeps to cruise around the lawn in :D

yes I know, I'm contributing to the hijacking of a thread, probably be coal in my stocking at Christmas. :p

the thread hijacking police are gunna get ya!! :p

Sooooo.... Hows the plans for the snowshoein event comin along?? (I'm tryin for a smaller peice of coal this year..) :D

Team2hunt
12-19-2007, 09:06 PM
the thread hijacking police are gunna get ya!! :p

Sooooo.... Hows the plans for the snowshoein event comin along?? (I'm tryin for a smaller peice of coal this year..) :D

How come I think you are talking about me? :rolleyes:

No coal this year, but I do have some Gritty's!

How's it coming? Well right now I can have it whenever I can make it. Since no one has posted a preference.

Medawisla
12-19-2007, 09:17 PM
I'd say the 29th, so it's spaced out from the WWWWWW4 event at the end of February, and because of potential conflicts Hollora mentioned. Though, I don't know it really matters, and I'm not sure we'll make it, we'll see...:p

Hiram357
12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
How come I think you are talking about me? :rolleyes:

No coal this year, but I do have some Gritty's!

How's it coming? Well right now I can have it whenever I can make it. Since no one has posted a preference.

wait a minute... if we hijack the thread we get Gritty's!?!?!!?!?!

SO HOW BOUT THEM YANKEES!!!! :D :D :D

Team2hunt
12-22-2007, 02:20 PM
I have not decided on a date yet. But the Saturdays of either 22nd or the 29th are the 2 dates that are probally going to work. I am currently working on a bookmark listing, of areas to snowshoe in. This cache GCGJQ6 Cox Pinnacle is listed and that will take you to the bookmark.

Link: GCGJQ6 - A Traditional Cache in Maine, United States called Cox Pinnacle created by Chickadee98, Dragonfly, Popps, and freddi... (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2d2c1ad8-39f8-48d8-8537-3d1428c170c1)

More info will come as things progress. One of the meeting places I am looking into. Bradbury Mountain State Park. Open all year, plenty of caches, nearby snowshoeing, and a picnic area.

Kaching Karen
12-22-2007, 02:52 PM
One of the meeting places I am looking into. Bradbury Mountain State Park. Open all year, plenty of caches, nearby snowshoeing, and a picnic area.

Isn't there winter camping there too?

Team2hunt
12-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Isn't there winter camping there too?

Yes there are 41 campsites here. I'm not sure if they are available during the winter months. I am going to check after the first of the year.

attroll
12-22-2007, 04:25 PM
I have not decided on a date yet. But the Saturdays of either 22nd or the 29th are the 2 dates that are probally going to work. I am currently working on a bookmark listing, of areas to snowshoe in. This cache GCGJQ6 Cox Pinnacle is listed and that will take you to the bookmark.

Link: GCGJQ6 - A Traditional Cache in Maine, United States called Cox Pinnacle created by Chickadee98, Dragonfly, Popps, and freddi... (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2d2c1ad8-39f8-48d8-8537-3d1428c170c1)

More info will come as things progress. One of the meeting places I am looking into. Bradbury Mountain State Park. Open all year, plenty of caches, nearby snowshoeing, and a picnic area.
Do they plow the parking lot for Cox Pinnacle during the winter? We would need parking space.

Team2hunt
12-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Do they plow the parking lot for Cox Pinnacle during the winter? We would need parking space.

Yes the parking area here is plowed by the town. I will not be using this area as a meeting place, but an area to snowshoe in. I only included it as a link to the bookmark listing.

I have split up the areas to snowshoe in, into 4 seperate areas. I have no idea how many people will turn out. It would be difficult for 15 cachers to all venture out together. Last year when we did Etna Bog. That was a large wide open space, and a long trail, large enough to accommodate 15 people. The 4 different areas also provide differing levels of snowshoeing. Not everyone wants to climb a hill on snowshoes.

Team2hunt
12-25-2007, 07:06 PM
I awoke early this morning with a terrible thought. " What was I thinking? " A snowshoe event in Maine in late March. How much snow, if any would we have? I have rethought the idea and have decided to make it early February. Somewhere in between Celebrate 2007 and the WWWWWW4 events. I think it will be February 2, a Saturday. More to come very soon. I will have the event posted in the next 2 weeks.

It will be " Grab Your Snowshoes...2008 "

hollora
12-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Will you have a beginners class?

Team2hunt
12-25-2007, 09:00 PM
I have been receiving some help with the planning of the event. It will be in such a place that all cachers will be welcome. There will be snowshoe and non-snowshoe caches nearby, both beginner, and intermediate. The event will be around mid day and offer an outdoor pot luck after the caching. Something like a chilli, or soup. Something hot! Nothing too fancy.

Almost like camping.......:)

Team2hunt
01-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Grab your Snowshoe Event, February 2 at Bradbury Mountain State Park.
Whether you snowshoe or not. Come on out and join us for a great day of fun in the snow.

There is winter camping available for those who wish to hang around Saturday night. Please let me know your intentions in your "attending" log. I have to give them a one week notice, and head count.

Medawisla
01-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Thank you so much T2H and Nik for putting this together!! :D :cool:

Team2hunt
01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
I stopped by the Bradbury Mtn State Park today to meet the rangers and make all of the final arrangements for the event. There is a shared trail with snowmobiles, and it goes all the way to the top of the mountain. Maybe someone could post what trail it is and where it would come from. 1manteam and I spent the morning hiking the trails and taking a few pictures. The pavilion is covered and has a fireplace. Looks like all we need is a little more snow, and good weather. :):D iampaw has just placed a new cache in the park, and there might just be another one placed before the event.

Mainiac1957
01-19-2008, 02:58 PM
is it from where will be parking to where we can camp? I am still planning on camping.

Team2hunt
01-19-2008, 03:05 PM
is it from where will be parking to where we can camp? I am still planning on camping.

Yes it does. We will be parking in the day use area, I will have notes (similar to a geocaching hall pass) for those who will be parking overnight. The snowmobile trail heads across the road to the camping area. There is also a small area at the gate to stop and drop off equipment. The distance is short, maybe .15

Foxgloves
01-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I stopped by the Bradbury Mtn State Park today to meet the rangers and make all of the final arrangements for the event. There is a shared trail with snowmobiles, and it goes all the way to the top of the mountain. Maybe someone could post what trail it is and where it would come from.

Here are the trail maps from Bradbury State Park website:

West Side of Rte 9 (http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/maps/BradburyMountainTrailMapWest.pdf)

East Side of Rte 9 (http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/maps/BradburyMountainTrailMapEast.pdf)

People may want to print out a copy of these maps to bring to event with you.
If I think of it I will print out some extras too.

Team2hunt
01-19-2008, 03:50 PM

I also picked up a copy of the trail maps from the park today. I will bring lots of copies with me. It's not a huge place. Troy and I made the 330' ascent to the summit in 13 minutes. Stopping along the way to take a few pics. But we still don't want anyone getting lost.

Medawisla
01-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Here are the trail maps from Bradbury State Park website:

West Side of Rte 9 (http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/maps/BradburyMountainTrailMapWest.pdf)

East Side of Rte 9 (http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/maps/BradburyMountainTrailMapEast.pdf)

Is anyone else having trouble opening the East Side link above? It might be my adobe reader that's acting up...:(

Foxgloves
01-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Is anyone else having trouble opening the East Side link above? It might be my adobe reader that's acting up...:(

Hmm...I tried both links and they seem to work fine from my end.....

Haffy
01-19-2008, 04:48 PM
I just opened the East one and it worked fine: http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/maps/BradburyMountainTrailMapEast.pdf

Medawisla
01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I just opened the East one and it worked fine: http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/maps/BradburyMountainTrailMapEast.pdf

I get the error message that the file is damaged.:confused: I'll try later.

attroll
01-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Gary

Where will everyone be spending the night? Will it be in the actual park or on the east side of the road?

Will there be room if I were to come and park my truck with my snowmobile trailer?

What kind of facilities will be available to people to use?

Team2hunt
01-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Gary

Where will everyone be spending the night? Will it be in the actual park or on the east side of the road?

Will there be room if I were to come and park my truck with my snowmobile trailer?

What kind of facilities will be available to people to use?

The winter camping is on the east side of route 9 in the camping area. Everyone will have to park in the day use area parking lot. There should be enough room for the trailer. The park has a few outhouses still open and there is fresh water near the ranger station. There's also a Quality Inn just around the corner.....;) Come and enjoy the great outdoors!

cape ann carol
01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
I am planning to come to this as well, and also try this winter camping :eek:
(nice to know there is a hotel around thie corner!)

I see Brad plans to camp - anyone else?

I was thinking of coming up Fri to stay for 2 nights, anyone else?

Mainiac1957
01-20-2008, 04:16 PM
By the time I get out of work I don't know if I'll want to head down there. You never know however. It depends on others plans. Not sure if we are allowed two nights camping anyway. Gary?

Team2hunt
01-20-2008, 07:17 PM
By the time I get out of work I don't know if I'll want to head down there. You never know however. It depends on others plans. Not sure if we are allowed two nights camping anyway. Gary?

I only made arrangements for Saturday night. If anyone wants to start early and camp Friday night. You will have to call and make arrangements.

Ranger contact: 207-688-4712

team moxiepup
01-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Do you think the trails are packed enough to do without snowshoes?

Team2hunt
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Do you think the trails are packed enough to do without snowshoes?

Troy and I went over yesterday, and while some people chose to snowshoe the trails. We had no problem hiking to the top in our boots. We have placed a link to trail conditions on the cache event page.

I could easily have pulled out my crampons, or stabilizers and played around on some of the icey spots. We chose Bradbury Mtn.State Park, so people could come and enjoy the area, and the caches, no matter what their skill level on snow was. You can hike, snowshoe, x-country ski, snowmobile, even ride a horse through the park.

And dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash.

team moxiepup
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the trail update. Maybe next year we will have some snowshoes under the tree. We had been spoiled the last few winters and have been able to cache without snowshoes without any problems.

Mainiac1957
01-29-2008, 05:28 PM
As of now it looks as if we may get decent weather to camp in.:cool: I am so ready. The pups haven't gotten to go out with me in forever. I can't stand seeing those sad eyes any more:(

Medawisla
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
As of now it looks as if we may get decent weather to camp in.:cool: I am so ready. The pups haven't gotten to go out with me in forever. I can't stand seeing those sad eyes any more:(

Ok so they're not puppies anymore, but i miss them too! :D:p

Team2hunt
01-29-2008, 10:31 PM

Jock and Sweetie are more than welcome, just remember to keep them on their leashes in the park.

Team2hunt
01-29-2008, 10:37 PM
As of today the weather does not seem to be cooperating. They are calling for a rain/snow mix for tonight and tomorrow morning. Friday also looks like a mixed bag of precipitation.

Alas! The forecast for Saturday is mostly sunny and in the 30's. I will not cancel the event no matter what the weather.

So please use caution when deciding to travel this weekend.

You may also want to look at the trail conditions on the event page. The use of stabilizers and even crampons might not be a bad idea. There were a few icey spots the last time I visited. See you all Saturday!!

Kaching Karen
01-30-2008, 06:18 AM
I plan on staying overnight at this point. Is anyone interested in a nighttime hike around the park, if it's safe? We'll know the trail conditions during the day.

Hiram357
01-30-2008, 08:05 AM
As of today the weather does not seem to be cooperating. They are calling for a rain/snow mix for tonight and tomorrow morning. Friday also looks like a mixed bag of precipitation.

Alas! The forecast for Saturday is mostly sunny and in the 30's. I will not cancel the event no matter what the weather.

So please use caution when deciding to travel this weekend.

You may also want to look at the trail conditions on the event page. The use of stabilizers and even crampons might not be a bad idea. There were a few icey spots the last time I visited. See you all Saturday!!

I don't mind being cold, I don't mind being wet, but being wet & cold, that just sucks, we'll keep an eye on the weather if it snows we'll be there, if it drops below 0 we'll be there, but if it rains... we'll hafta think about it... :confused::confused::confused:

tat
01-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Wooooo Hoooooo! I just found out I can go after all!! Now, I've got to get my tent fixed! :)

Team2hunt
01-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Wooooo Hoooooo! I just found out I can go after all!! Now, I've got to get my tent fixed! :)

There are 2 lean-twos that are open and available. They are a little further walk, but in a very nice area.

Hiram357
01-30-2008, 06:48 PM

Tom, probably the best way to fix your tent would be to just replace the poles.... and the fly... and the footprint... and probably the tent part as well... :p:D

Haffy
01-30-2008, 08:36 PM
So you've seen it too huh? :eek:

tat
01-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Tom, probably the best way to fix your tent would be to just replace the poles.... and the fly... and the footprint... and probably the tent part as well... :p:D
The pole is covered under the warranty. :)

Medawisla
01-30-2008, 09:44 PM
The pole is covered under the warranty. :)

Glad you can come Tom!:cool:

tat
01-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Is there wood for the fire there or do we need to bring some?

Medawisla
02-01-2008, 07:44 AM

I could have sworn that I remember T2H said the park sells wood, but I can't find that in the forum or event page...I don't know:confused:

tat
02-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I could have sworn that I remember T2H said the park sells wood, but I can't find that in the forum or event page...I don't know:confused:

So do I, but could not find it anywhere either. I'm in Brunswick today, so I'll take a cruise out and see.

attroll
02-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Well, I was really planning on coming to this event and trying out an overnighter but now I can not do it. I got today off from work and I am heading to Millinocket for the weekend. I have to take advantage of the snow while we have it. I will be in tow with all three snowmobiles heading north within the hour.

tat
02-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I think Gary may have mentioned the wood in chat.

I dropped by the park today. There is a wood bin at the gate. The sign says "...one arm load limit per campsite to conserver wood". There wasn't much wood in the bin, but it looked like there was plenty more where that came from!

Hiram357
02-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, I was really planning on coming to this event and trying out an overnighter but now I can not do it. I got today off from work and I am heading to Millinocket for the weekend. I have to take advantage of the snow while we have it. I will be in tow with all three snowmobiles heading north within the hour.

*cough* wussy *cough cough* :rolleyes::p

robt
02-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Ethan and I will be there but I can not keep him out overnight.

Team2hunt
02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Whoever is camping will have to supply their own wood, They do not sell firewood at the park.

WhereRWe?
02-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Whoever is camping will have to supply their own wood, They do not sell firewood at the park.

I'll deliver dry firewood at $300 a cord (cut/split), and green firewood at $150 a cord (tree length). :rolleyes::rolleyes:

attroll
02-01-2008, 11:02 PM
*cough* wussy *cough cough* :rolleyes::p
Well all I can say is I am up here in Millinocket right now with about 4 inches of fresh snow and just got back from a nice 40 mile night ride.

Mainiac1957
02-02-2008, 05:34 AM
I hope you guys have a blast. See you at the next one.;)

Aaron stop picking on Rick, just cause he'd rather sleep in one of those new fangled motel thingys than on the ground with us don't make him a wussy.:rolleyes::rolleyes: We can think of other reasons for that.:p:D:rolleyes:

cape ann carol
02-02-2008, 08:15 AM
I will bring some wood with me, Im on my way!

Team2hunt
02-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Well all I can say is I am up here in Millinocket right now with about 4 inches of fresh snow and just got back from a nice 40 mile night ride.

How many caches did you find? :rolleyes:

attroll
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
How many caches did you find? :rolleyes:
None. It is not about the numbers. It's about having a good time.
How many miles did you trek through the snow today and how many different vista's and scenery's did you see? I bet I can list more vista's and scenery's then you can.

Kacky
02-02-2008, 07:29 PM
How many miles did you trek through the snow today and how many different vista's and scenery's did you see? I bet I can list more vista's and scenery's then you can.

1. The snowbank, up close and personal because I fell again
2. K of DSKG making snow angels
3. geopups and whoopie pies

P.S. and the humble sherpa won his chess tournament so he's the victorious sherpa today.

WhereRWe?
02-02-2008, 07:55 PM

Sheesh! Not about the numbers? And then you ask "how many miles..., how many vistas and scenerys [sic]". :rolleyes::rolleyes: Should have stopped after the first line, Rick! LOL!

team moxiepup
02-02-2008, 09:16 PM

How fast were you flying past those vista views?? :eek:

We are glad you are able to get a few miles on your sled. Ours are still sitting on the trailer if you can believe it with the winter we have had :rolleyes:

Kaching Karen
02-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm just back from the overnight extension of the "Grab Your Snowshoes" event. Yep, we really roughed it. Just ask Cape Ann Carol. We broke her in good!
Gary and Niki, nice job. The location was great. There were plenty of caches around to make the traveling in small groups comfortable and accomodate different "snowshoeing" abilities. The food was awesome (Geocachers know how to POTLUCK) and the company, as usual, incredible. And, dang, you must have good connections with Mother Nature. Mainiac1957 and I were talking about the many great people we have met through geocaching. It may or may not be about the numbers, but it's definitely about the unity of friendship. Thanks.:)

firefighterjake
02-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Sooooo . . . not to flog a dead horse here and bring up the whole number thing . . . but as an avid sledder I am curious Rick . . . 1) how many miles did you guys end up doing and 2) how was the sledding up in Millinocket (I've been told by one person that despite the dearth of snow here the riding is actually quite good once you get a little above Old Town) . . . and since I'm starting to go through sled withdrawal I'm thinking of trailering my sled this upcoming weekend if the weather holds out and based on your's and other's reports.

Team2hunt
02-04-2008, 04:53 PM

Looks like we both had a great day!

Medawisla
02-04-2008, 08:31 PM
The event was much needed and well done!!! Thank you everyone who brought food, swag, trackables, food, hot drinks, puppies, camp wood and food!:D:cool:

attroll
02-05-2008, 02:32 AM
Sooooo . . . not to flog a dead horse here and bring up the whole number thing . . . but as an avid sledder I am curious Rick . . . 1) how many miles did you guys end up doing and 2) how was the sledding up in Millinocket (I've been told by one person that despite the dearth of snow here the riding is actually quite good once you get a little above Old Town) . . . and since I'm starting to go through sled withdrawal I'm thinking of trailering my sled this upcoming weekend if the weather holds out and based on your's and other's reports.
Jake, the sledding in Millinocket was awesome. We started in Millinocket and went to Abol Bridge then over to Kokadjo. Then back to Baxter State Park and we started riding up perimeter road for about 3 or four miles and turned around and back to Abol Bridge for gas. Then to the Long Pond trail and back to Millinocket. At about 9:30 that night we decided to go out for a night ride and road from Millinocket to Abol Bridge to the Long Pond Trail and back to Millinocket. We were lucky to have gotten behind a groomed trail for 95% of our night ride. We put 220 miles on each sled Saturday. We got about four inches Friday when we got up there and about two more inches Saturday morning. I was worried the whole way while driving up because of the very little snow on the sides of the road. My worries were put at rest shortly after we passed the Lincoln exit (I think). If I could find the cash to trailer up there again this weekend I would but I am taking a weeks vacation in two weeks and am saving my money to take the week in Millinocket to do some snowmobiling if all goes well.

Looks like we both had a great day!
Yes I did and I am glad to hear you all had a great time too. Like I said it is not about the numbers. It is about have a good time with good people.

darterkitfox
02-05-2008, 11:53 AM
It cost me $95 for gas just to get from Norway to Milllinocket and back. I only got 14 miles a gallon in the Dakota with the snowmobile in the back end. Seems kind of low to me. For that price I could fly JetBlue to Florida one way. We also paid $4.00 a gallon for gas at a fishing camp near Shin pond for the snowmobile. The whole overnight trip cost almost $250. The trails were great but for that price I think I will stick to Caribbean cruises. It's cheaper.

attroll
02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
It cost me $95 for gas just to get from Norway to Milllinocket and back. I only got 14 miles a gallon in the Dakota with the snowmobile in the back end. Seems kind of low to me. For that price I could fly JetBlue to Florida one way. We also paid $4.00 a gallon for gas at a fishing camp near Shin pond for the snowmobile. The whole overnight trip cost almost $250. The trails were great but for that price I think I will stick to Caribbean cruises. It's cheaper.
Yes it is getting pricey. I will not say what my trip cost for two nights in a large cabin and gas. I was expensive but worth it. You can not put a price on have a good time with people but the price can some time hinder it.

firefighterjake
02-05-2008, 01:31 PM

I hear ya . . . I've just been happy that this year has been as snowy as it has been which has allowed me to (so far) do all of my sledding right from my backyard (sorry Becket! :D) That said, we really need a little more snow out there right now due to the snow loss we experienced last week.

firefighterjake
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Or better yet do both . . . :D

I'm actually hoping that tomorrow's storm brings another few inches to Unity . . . it will be close, but we may have enough to ride on if that happens . . . if not it will mean I'll either have to trailer up to Millinocket for a day trip or it will mean another weekend spent working on the Mud Room.

In other news, I'm still waiting to hear back from my Travel Agent . . . my wife gets really stir crazy this time of year since she's not a snowmobiler/skier/snowshoer/etc. After several years of talking about going somewhere warm for a winter vacation I've told her we're doing it this year . . . thinking about San Antonio, TX (there's a sizable German-American population down that-away), Mexico (I've always been intrigued by the Mayan . . . or is it Aztec ruins) or the Dominican Republic (never been to the Carribean before . . . in fact the furthest south I've been is DC.)

Hiram357
02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes it is getting pricey. I will not say what my trip cost for two nights in a large cabin and gas. I was expensive but worth it. You can not put a price on have a good time with people but the price can some time hinder it.

Those are some very true words, like those of us that camped out after the snowshoe event, we all went and splurged and had lobster omlets for breakfast! now that's camping! :D

parmachenee
02-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Those are some very true words, like those of us that camped out after the snowshoe event, we all went and splurged and had lobster omlets for breakfast! now that's camping! :D

OK...now THAT might have persuaded us to stay overnight! :) We'll make it one of these trips...but the event was fun on a perfect day! Thanks Niki and Gary for hosting. :)

Team2hunt
02-08-2008, 08:17 PM
There is one TB left in the Grab your Snowshoes event.

Gnome on the Roam

It was dropped off but not logged out of the event. Please look in your caching bag to see if it was you who took him. He needs to be roaming again.

Both Foxgloves and I appreciated all of those who came out and shared the Maine woods with us. :):D

attroll
02-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Are we going to se some pictures from this event?

Team2hunt
02-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Are we going to se some pictures from this event?

There were many pictures posted on the event page. I really didn't have enough time to take any. Maybe a few of them will show up here.

attroll
02-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I went to find the event and it was not listed on the calendar on GC. Did you post this as an event? I could have swore you did. I don't know why it is not showing up on there calendar? Let me do some more digging.

attroll
02-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I found it. Some good pictures too. Why did it now show up on the GC calendar?

Hiram357
02-08-2008, 09:13 PM
There is one TB left in the Grab your Snowshoes event.

Gnome on the Roam

It was dropped off but not logged out of the event. Please look in your caching bag to see if it was you who took him. He needs to be roaming again.

Both Foxgloves and I appreciated all of those who came out and shared the Maine woods with us. :):D

doh! sorry gary! that's one i picked up, forgot all about em until ya mentioned it. He was still buried under all the camping stuff! I'll log em out and get em roaming again. :o

Medawisla
02-08-2008, 09:34 PM
doh! sorry gary! that's one i picked up, forgot all about em until ya mentioned it. He was still buried under all the camping stuff! I'll log em out and get em roaming again. :o

Well, I got to him. ;):rolleyes: So he's logged out and maybe Hiram can be responsible for getting him roaming again and even a picture of him, since hardly anyone has taken pictures of him on his journey.:(

Team2hunt
02-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Well, I got to him. ;):rolleyes: So he's logged out and maybe Hiram can be responsible for getting him roaming again and even a picture of him, since hardly anyone has taken pictures of him on his journey.:(

You should check the little guy. Once injured they require some special attention. Maybe a picture with a DR.

Team2hunt
02-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I found it. Some good pictures too. Why did it now show up on the GC calendar?

I archived it last night.