View Full Version : Santa was good to me!

bmeserve
12-26-2007, 09:52 AM
I'm new to this and I have been waiting to get started ... although my interest in this started in October which left little time to find and well I didn't have the money for a GPS which well...hindered my progress more then the weather :)

However, Santa came through and delivered me my
Garmin® GPSMAP® 60CSx

I have managed to figure it out enough to turn it on :) it's going to take A LOT of work for me to get it figured out I do believe....but i'll be studying it every night while watching tv to try and figure it out...I got a few months :)

Anyone else have this same unit?

lexmano
12-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow, way to go! that model was my trade up after I had been caching awhile. Very easy to use compared to lesser garmins, especially the e-trex legend which I moved up from.

Also when you start hiding caches the feature which can average readings to get more accuracy is very cool.

Merry Christmas, now get out and cache!!

Haffy
12-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Why wait a few months? Get out there and find those elusive caches under the snow. You'll have such fun and don't forget, no mosquitoes. ;)

firefighterjake
12-26-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm new to this and I have been waiting to get started ... although my interest in this started in October which left little time to find and well I didn't have the money for a GPS which well...hindered my progress more then the weather :)

Garmin® GPSMAP® 60CSx

I have managed to figure it out enough to turn it on :) it's going to take A LOT of work for me to get it figured out I do believe....but i'll be studying it every night while watching tv to try and figure it out...I got a few months :)

Guess someone has been good this year, eh? ;) :D

. . . and before I forget . . . just want to extend a warm geocachingmaine.org welcome to you and lexmano.

. . . and while I'm a Magellan Man myself, I've heard lots of good things about the Garmin 60CSX . . . and if you have questions, this is a great place to ask those questions . . . whether it be about geocaching, how to use your Garmin, why Hiram is the way he is, what is the meaning of life, etc. . . . chances are someone here will have the answer to your question . . . well except for the question about Hiram . . . the jury is still out on that one. ;) :D

dubord207
12-26-2007, 01:40 PM
You have one of the best units available. Once you download the Garmin Plug in on geocaching.com, you will be able to download the coords directly to your unit. After that hit the Find button, enter Geocaches then Go To and you're good to go. You will want to calibrate the electronic compass. If you click "Calibrate Compass" it will direct you to do a couple of slow turns and you're done. With all the snow we've had, you might want to start off on caches that have been found since all the snow started, and avoid those where the snow prevented a find. Have fun. By the way, Haffy has defected to south of the Mason-Dixon line and apparently has forgotten how hard it is to dig a cache out of a frozen snowbank! He is , however, a dedicated vet of this sport and can offer very good advise. Happy Caching!

Haffy
12-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Forgotten!!!!! Never!!!!! I think the winter time was my favorite season to cache although I didn't go as much I enjoyed it more so. It is challenging for sure but not enough to keep one from not caching. :D I went out last weekend with a great family that I met who love to cache,Team Jamrasc and we had a great time. Here is a photo of them where we went to cache on the Clemson Research facility and has all kinds of nature trails and great for hiking. There are approximately 9 or so caches at the center and we managed to find I think 7 of the 9.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/ColumbiaCaching001Small.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/haffy6/ColumbiaCaching003Small.jpg

dubord207
12-26-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't see a single snowbank in any of those pictures! How hard can it be! Seven of Nine? What happened, sun stroke, ran out of mint julips, Jack Daniels was running a special at the Packie store and everybody went home early? Hope you're not getting too soft!

darterkitfox
12-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I sent my wife out on cross country skies last weekend to get rid of a TB we had aquired. She had been to this particular cache before and we knew it was on a boulder up off the ground. She assured me after going off trail in the deep snow that it would be the last one she would go to this winter. I have to agree with her. Our stuff is now stored. We may try one on an island on Norway Lake since I can't swim and we will be able to snowmobile to it. Caching will have to wait for springtime.

Haffy
12-26-2007, 07:50 PM
What a wuss!!!!!

dubord207
12-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I sent my wife out on cross country skies last weekend to get rid of a TB we had aquired. She had been to this particular cache before and we knew it was on a boulder up off the ground. She assured me after going off trail in the deep snow that it would be the last one she would go to this winter. I have to agree with her. Our stuff is now stored. We may try one on an island on Norway Lake since I can't swim and we will be able to snowmobile to it. Caching will have to wait for springtime.

No, No, No, these things cannot wait to Springtime! Dig 'em out, hunt 'em down, do what it takes, but find them. You have picks on your sled? Well sit on the cache and rip 'em out. Some of these TB's will not survive the winter and need to be moved. Even Haffy would dig them out if he hadn't given away his longjohns!

dubord207
12-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Garmin® GPSMAP® 60CSx

Hello Again, Couldn't help but notice the "racing" reference in your profile. Having spent a lot of time at Unity Raceway for many years, fan, pit crew and even driver in the Wildcat class, I wonder if you're related to Stan?

Cache Maine
12-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Hello Again, Couldn't help but notice the "racing" reference in your profile. Having spent a lot of time at Unity Raceway for many years, fan, pit crew and even driver in the Wildcat class, I wonder if you're related to Stan?

I think a lot of people know Stan...and Ralph...and Dana Graves....and Boss Hogg....and I could go on and on and on....

I remember being a little kid....in my pajamas...sitting back-to in the stands and falling sound asleep. I grew up around all the tracks and you know...I haven't been in a long long time...only to attend the monster truck show last year.

I think it would be a blast to get a group together and head to the races....maybe even a day long thing and head up to Bullwinkle!

hollora
12-26-2007, 10:03 PM
CM - sounds like an event......caching pre-races, tailgate picnic, races - woo, hoo.........I'll sign up. Seriously, I would love someone to go to the races with.

In my first married life, I was into the dirt bike, mud runs and snowmobile racing (doing it, maintaining them and the whole circuit team thing) as well as watching the cars. This was my weekend activity when I wasn't working.

I still love to go to the track but this hubby doesn't enjoy it. Sort of feel out of place there alone. Last time I went to SW95, I bumped into neighbors who couldn't believe I was there alone.

Soooo, if a group wants to go - let me know where to sign up.

dubord207
12-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Count me in! Do a lap, find a cache. Repeat as needed. Sounds like fun, plus Ralph will find a race car for me to drive!:D

firefighterjake
12-27-2007, 09:13 AM

I'm with you . . . unless the snow conditions are low to no snow I usually curtail my caching activities until the Spring (right after there's not enough snow to snowmobile and when there's too much mud to open the ATV trails). I have been known however to cross frozen lakes and ponds to look for caches however . . . just make sure the ice is thick enough . . . otherwise your swimming skills may be put to the test. ;) :D

firefighterjake
12-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I think a lot of people know Stan...and Ralph...and Dana Graves....and Boss Hogg....and I could go on and on and on....

I remember being a little kid....in my pajamas...sitting back-to in the stands and falling sound asleep. I grew up around all the tracks and you know...I haven't been in a long long time...only to attend the monster truck show last year.

I think it would be a blast to get a group together and head to the races....maybe even a day long thing and head up to Bullwinkle!

Oh Cameo . . . you truly are a redneck Mainiac gal! ;) :D . . . And you've dated yourself a bit with some of the references . . . I'm unclear about the Bullwinkle reference though unless you're referring to the B & ML RR.

WhereRWe?
12-27-2007, 09:49 AM
You will want to calibrate the electronic compass. If you click "Calibrate Compass" it will direct you to do a couple of slow turns and you're done.

You also need to recalibrate the compass each time you remove/replace the batteries. :D :D

WhereRWe?
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Once you download the Garmin Plug in on geocaching.com, you will be able to download the coords directly to your unit.

Hello? "Garmin plugin"? From geocaching.com?? What's this???

Cache Maine
12-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh Cameo . . . you truly are a redneck Mainiac gal! ;) :D . . . And you've dated yourself a bit with some of the references . . . I'm unclear about the Bullwinkle reference though unless you're referring to the B & ML RR.

He he heh....I knew I would....but that's okay...everyone knows I'm 29... :D

Bullwinkle is a rush....the engines and commotion was so intense, my truck alarm kept going off....I had to move my truck out by the gate so I enjoy the action. Here's a link...http://www.bullwinkleraceway.com/

Cache Maine
12-27-2007, 10:41 AM

My new csx was ready to go out of the box....it has a geocaching feature already installed.

firefighterjake
12-27-2007, 10:45 AM
He he heh....I knew I would....but that's okay...everyone knows I'm 29... :D

Bullwinkle is a rush....the engines and commotion was so intense, my truck alarm kept going off....I had to move my truck out by the gate so I enjoy the action. Here's a link...http://www.bullwinkleraceway.com/

Ah, I understand the Bullwinkle info now . . . I've been right by there many a time . . . but it was on sled and there was more snow than dirt at the time.

Mainiac1957
12-27-2007, 11:38 AM

There is a radio button that says "Send to GPS" It will allow you to send just that cache to a "Garmin" GPS. The first time you use it you'll have to download a small plug in file from Garmin. It works great if you just want to grab a quick cache, such as a new FTF opportunity. I have been using it for awhile now.

dubord207
12-27-2007, 03:42 PM
My 60csx is three or four years old so I had to download the plug-in. What do the poor people with Magellan's do as the plug in says it Garmin compatible only?

Haffy
12-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Suffer, cause they never should have bought the Magellan in the first place....;) :eek:

firefighterjake
12-27-2007, 04:37 PM
My 60csx is three or four years old so I had to download the plug-in. What do the poor people with Magellan's do as the plug in says it Garmin compatible only?

My Explorist came with a software package that allows me to pull all the info right from the gc.com website . . . I just select the cache or caches and it will send all the info directly to my Magellan via the USB hook-up.

dubord207
12-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Yo, Jake, Scott or MSA? I think Scott's are the Garmin's of Geocaching. Whatdayouthink?

hollora
12-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Yo, Jake, Scott or MSA? I think Scott's are the Garmin's of Geocaching. Whatdayouthink?

Oh, I can't resist;) - as long as they get you in and out - does it really matter?

And, FYI, former VFF myself and Mom of a PFF! Also have cached with Jake (many a mile - many a cache)........he can hold his own!:D

firefighterjake
12-28-2007, 08:51 AM

Oh, no question in this area . . . SCOT all the way . . . you don't see too many places with MSAs or other brands.

Haffy
12-28-2007, 09:47 AM
By the way what is Scott and MSA anyway?

WhereRWe?
12-28-2007, 09:49 AM
There is a radio button that says "Send to GPS" It will allow you to send just that cache to a "Garmin" GPS. The first time you use it you'll have to download a small plug in file from Garmin. It works great if you just want to grab a quick cache, such as a new FTF opportunity. I have been using it for awhile now.

OK - knew that, but I thought there was something new at GC.com that I hadn't seen.

Thanks.

firefighterjake
12-28-2007, 11:02 AM
By the way what is Scott and MSA anyway?

Scott is a guy I went to elementary school with . . . and unfortunately today he has a bad back because one time in elementary school we decided to try to set a seesaw record like we saw on the Brady Bunch, but unfortunately we were limited to doing this during recess and then one day the bell rang since recess was over and I jumped off, but Scott was at the top and the seesaw dropped him straight to the ground injuring his back . . . .

The MSA is the Maine Snowmobile Association . . . a group that is an advocate for the activity of snowmobiling in Maine. They produce a monthly newsletter and are directly involved with legislation pertaining to snowmobiling and public land access.

Scott and MSA also happen to be two of the leading manufacturers of air packs that firefighters (and other safety professionals) use when entering environments where the person needs to have their own breathable air (i.e. smoky environment, low oxygen environment, etc.) ;) :D

Haffy
12-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Ok Scott pack I gotcha!!!

Team2hunt
12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
What a great gift! The best way to learn is to attend one of the many events, in the area. There's always someone willing to give out a few hints and tips. I believe the Celebrate 2007 in January will have a techie table like last year. We sure answered a lot of questions.

OR .......just ask here. :p