View Full Version : Name the Newsletter Poll Open!

Medawisla
12-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Cast your vote for the Geocaching Maine Newsletter
The whole Geocaching Maine community has the chance to vote for the name of our newsletter! The suggested names are below in alphabetical order. Thank you to all geocachers who submitted suggestions and comments!

1) Geocaching Maine Newsletter
2) Satellites on Demand: The Geocaching Maine Newsletter
3) The Ammo Can: The Geocaching Maine Newsletter
4) The Hint: The Geocaching Maine Newsletter
5) The Logbook: The Geocaching Maine Newsletter
6) The Wanderer: The Geocaching Maine Newsletter

Haffy
12-27-2007, 06:22 PM
So how are we supposed to vote? Oh nevermind I just saw it,forgive me, a senior moment I guess

Medawisla
12-27-2007, 06:37 PM
The poll is at the top of the forum :)
Did you vote?

Haffy
12-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Yes that would be my lonely vote and I think that was my own suggestion too....lol

Medawisla
12-27-2007, 08:16 PM
PS The winning name will appear in the February Newsletter. :cool:

Kaching Karen
12-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Where is "Other?"

Sabby
12-29-2007, 10:12 AM
"Other" failed to win in the primary and iis not on the ballot. :)

Medawisla
12-29-2007, 11:05 AM
We had a thread going for folks to post suggestions and ideas. We're trying to have a name by the end of the month, so instead of opening an "other" category which would take more time, we decided 6 ideas was a good number and we'd move on with these.

If there is a tie, we'll do another poll with the tied choices in February.

Thanks for voting!:)

Kaching Karen
12-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Sounds reasonable to me!

Mainiac1957
12-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Like if I wanted to make a shameless plug for say "The Ammo Can" would that be allowed:rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Sudonim
12-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Like if I wanted to make a shameless plug for say "The Ammo Can" would that be allowed:rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Looks like we have a lobbyist in the crowd, next thing you know, he'll be trying to sell you military stuff...:rolleyes:

Medawisla
12-31-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm getting carried away with the military theme here, silly me. :p

Anyway, Lobby all you want, vote only once, and don't forget poll closes end of January!:)

Haffy
01-01-2008, 12:30 AM
thought I saw that name somewhere and here it is: http://www.theammocan.com/

Hiram357
01-01-2008, 03:39 AM
thought I saw that name somewhere and here it is: http://www.theammocan.com/

ya brows those gaming clan sites often haffy??? :rolleyes: :D

Haffy
01-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Actually I thought I saw the name before so I Googled it and there it was. No I hate games to be honest.

ImKukie
01-06-2008, 10:09 AM
If It were GeoMaine News it would have had my vote because unlike my conversations - some things are just better short! :p
I had another favorite which immed grabbed me as soon as I read it.

Too bad "The Fun Adventures of Using 12 Billion Dollar Satellites to Find Tupperware in the Woods" didn't make the cut - but then again is a bit long.

Medawisla
01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
If It were GeoMaine News it would have had my vote because unlike my conversations - some things are just better short! :p
I had another favorite which immed grabbed me as soon as I read it.

Too bad "The Fun Adventures of Using 12 Billion Dollar Satellites to Find Tupperware in the Woods" didn't make the cut - but then again is a bit long.

I take it the "The Fun Adventures of Using 12 Billion Dollar Satellites to Find Tupperware in the Woods" is the other "favorite which immed grabbed" you? :confused:

Anyway, you make a good point that short is good, and I think that's why the suggestions like The Ammo Can and so on were made. Still, this is a newsletter from Geocachingmaine.org so we wanted Geocaching Maine Newsletter to be in the title somewhere, but I'm sure people will end up calling it whatever fits their fancy anyway. Thanks for voting! :cool:

Medawisla
01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm really sorry folks to confuse you all.:o I hope Attroll can help me out, but just to let you know now:

This poll closes JANUARY 27th not February!!:eek: Voting ends this month!! (So that we can get the name on the February newsletter which goes out the 1st of February.)

If we are unable to change the closing features of this poll, please be aware that I will take a tally count the evening of the 27th and post the final tally here so you know the poll is closed.

Sorry for the mixup. :o

attroll
01-09-2008, 02:26 PM
The voting poll is fixed it closes 27 January.

Medawisla
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
The voting poll is fixed it closes 27 January.

Thanks Rick!:D

Medawisla
01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Two more weeks of voting left!!! :eek::p

Haffy
01-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Come on folks we can get a little more creative than just calling it the Geocaching Maine Newsletter now can't we? How about the "Logbook" ? I like the sounds of that one. :D

Medawisla
01-18-2008, 07:46 AM
10 days left of voting!!!:eek:

You may be surprised how the poll can change with just one vote! People can see the tally's and it messes with our minds!:p;)

brdad
01-18-2008, 09:36 AM
A few hanging chads never hurt either!

Hiram357
01-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Sooo the way I see this is, that there are 15 people that want the title to be just "the geocaching maine newsletter" but there are 27 people that voted for something else that don't want it to be that. So is it really fair to name it something that the majority of people don't want? or does it still get named that becuase the people that want that name are more organized voters??? :D

firefighterjake
01-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Sooo the way I see this is, that there are 15 people that want the title to be just "the geocaching maine newsletter" but there are 27 people that voted for something else that don't want it to be that. So is it really fair to name it something that the majority of people don't want? or does it still get named that becuase the people that want that name are more organized voters??? :D

That's democracy . . . now if this was like a presidential race and we had a primary race to narrow down the choices. . . . :D

d’76
01-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Jake you could have Heidi join and add her choice, Connie could vote for I tell her to and we could make up a fake person to make it a tie:D

firefighterjake
01-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Jake you could have Heidi join and add her choice, Connie could vote for I tell her to and we could make up a fake person to make it a tie:D

Hey . . . that's pretty good thinking. . . . and I think Hiram has some imaginary friends that he could talk to and try to convince to join up. ;):D

Hiram357
01-18-2008, 05:11 PM
and i have the SS#s of about 6 dead relatives we can use to create fake people and have someone else vote in their place, and i know a guy that knows this guy whose brothers buddy can probably fix the voting machine for us! :D

Sudonim
01-19-2008, 12:09 PM
and i have the SS#s of about 6 dead relatives we can use to create fake people and have someone else vote in their place, and i know a guy that knows this guy whose brothers buddy can probably fix the voting machine for us! :D

Can you get your dead Jeep to vote???

Kaching Karen
01-19-2008, 02:06 PM
My vote wasn't for the top two (I think). Can we now just use the top two and do a revote? That way, my vote will now matter.... does that make sense?

Hiram357
01-19-2008, 04:22 PM
My vote wasn't for the top two (I think). Can we now just use the top two and do a revote? That way, my vote will now matter.... does that make sense?

i think that sounds like a good idea, vote on the top choices. so this could be the GCMNL Caucus... :D

Medawisla
01-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Personally, I'm totally open to accepting this poll as a primary and opening another poll with the top three or so choices.:cool: I think the board takes the newsletter name more seriously than I, and I've deferred to them for all things newsletter related, so I'd like to hear what they have to say about this idea...:)
Until then, keep the votes coming! :D

brdad
01-19-2008, 06:52 PM
I think this is far to trivial a matter to run another vote for. The options were given and a final date was set. I say stay with this for now, and maybe at a later date the name can be re-addressed.

hollora
01-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Went you look at the number of members and then the number of votes - well, it's sort of like the real politics and polls. A lot of people just didn't seem to care.

BRDad has a point. Just move the motion so to speak.

My top choice wasn't in the running either but I'm ok with whatever it is called. It's not the name but the content that matters.

darterkitfox
01-20-2008, 08:15 AM
As you could see by a couple of my posts, I voted for The Logbook. I'm losing but I still don't want another vote. Any poll can be manupulated if the voting is done over and over. I vote to stick with the vote. It's sort of like our Town meetings. 5000 people in town but only 20 people show up to decide where the taxes are all spent.

Haffy
01-20-2008, 09:56 AM
As you could see by a couple of my posts, I voted for The Logbook.

Thanks for all your support and now back to our regularly scheduled program.
;):D

dubord207
01-20-2008, 12:00 PM
That's democracy . . . now if this was like a presidential race and we had a primary race to narrow down the choices. . . . :D
I think we should schedule a debate. Tim Sample could be the moderator. Questions would be encrypted so the general public would know less about us then they already do. We could do it on Channel 10 and they could raise money during breaks. I'll be the bartender and will make up Danny's Rules of Order as we go along. This could be big folks!:):)

attroll
01-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Any poll can be manupulated if the voting is done over and over.
You can only vote once.

firefighterjake
01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
You can only vote once.

I think Darterfox meant taking the top two choices, re-opening the vote with just two choices and voting a second time that way rather than voting repeatedly for this one vote.

firefighterjake
01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Vote early and vote often is my motto! ;):D

Medawisla
01-24-2008, 07:18 PM
There's a tie!!!!:eek:

Three more days of voting!!!

I have not heard from the Board that there will be another vote unless there is a tie, then we will have a tie breaker.:)

Mainiac1957
01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Only five more votes for "The Ammo Can" to make it a landslide.:rolleyes:;)

hollora
01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Leave it - leave it! No one else vote - maybe we will have a tie breaker!:) Then there will be big landslide LOL.

Haffy
01-24-2008, 09:09 PM
I say if it is a tie we use the 3rd place finisher.......;):D

firefighterjake
01-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Looks like the tie is no longer . . . it's tipped back to the plain ol', uninspired sounding Geocaching Newsletter (nah, I'm not biased! ;):D)

darterkitfox
01-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Haffy, I like your style.

Haffy
01-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks,,,,wish we could get 10 more votes somewhere for "The Logbook" :D

Medawisla
01-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Counting down...have you voted!!??:eek::confused::p

Medawisla
01-27-2008, 08:38 PM
So by a last minute landslide:
Geocaching Maine Newsletter
has won as the name of the Geocaching Maine Newsletter!

Thank you everyone who voted!:)

Please keep comments, suggestions, ideas, and stuff coming for the newsletter: PM me or post on the Newsletter Thread. Thanks!:cool: