View Full Version : New Thread : Maine snow caching

Haffy
01-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Change of subject: Would it be possible to have a thread here where people logging winter caches would also report them here? I need a "cache fix" as Di and I just bagged a bundle of 'em iin Florida and want slap on the snowshoes and get a bunch more. Problem is I have looked at the entire Central Maine cache list and there seems to be very few finds in the last two weeks. I know the snow is somewhat of an issue, the "snow friendly" icon can be of help, but I'd prefer chase a few that have recent logs. Any suggestions or comments?

Start the thread and they will come........:D

Team2hunt
01-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I always use geocaching as an excuse to head outdoors and cure my cabin fever, during those long winter months. Logging a cache is a just a bonus. So whether you find it or not............:rolleyes: :)

The " Grab your Snowshoes " event was posted this morning. Come out and join us.

dubord207
01-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for starting this, Haffy. So in regards to the standard guardrail micros, should these all be giving "temp. archive" status until Mother Nature uncovers them, or can I use my backhoe to dig 'em out?:D :D :D

Team2hunt
01-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I have been able to log 50 caches since Dec 2, and the first snowfall. In Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. You just need to be willing to do a little extra work.

I have a bookmark listing just for this . Find it here, GCGJQ6

There is also a bookmark listing for: "Easier in Winter" put out by nemsmedic11 in New Hampshire. Jeff is an avid geocacher so these should be well visited.

Cache Maine
01-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Bring a shovel....that should do the trick. :)

The snow has really curtailed most of my hides...are they impossible, no....but it's up to each individual cacher if it's accessible or not.

Oh and T2H, yes, you can add that one that we discussed to the list. It took me a few days to stop laughing. :)

d’76
01-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Girlmate and I found our first 75 or so caches in the snow. It took a bit more digging but it was fun with the proper clothing.

dubord207
01-06-2008, 06:11 PM
I don't want to give the impression that digging 'em out of the snow is not our thing, actually I enjoy winter time hiking as much if not more than summer hiking. But.... the cache descriptors give few clues as to whether it's an hour of digging in a compacted snowbank covering a guardrail, or a hide requiring a little digging with a realistic chance for us average cachers to find it. I know 20 or 30 caches I've done that could be found today, but I know twice that amount that would be close to impossible at this time. Maybe I'm too goal oriented but I'd like to log a few finds here and there during the winter months. To new, but very enthusiastic cachers like Di and myself, it would help to keep the energy level up if we set out to do caches that you vets might be able to find in this much snow!

Medawisla
01-06-2008, 06:38 PM
But.... the cache descriptors give few clues as to whether it's an hour of digging in a compacted snowbank covering a guardrail, or a hide requiring a little digging with a realistic chance for us average cachers to find it.

The bookmark lists are great. Another safe thing to do is look for the snowflake icon on the cache description page. I think there's a way to do a query for these too. Still, they don't always mean it'll be a plowed path to the cache; Hiram's cache in Halifax Park, Winslow, is quite the treck in because they use the park parkinglot to pile up the snow, basically snowshoes are needed. I hope you got out this weekend before the forecasted rain this week! :)

firefighterjake
01-06-2008, 07:54 PM
HI There, Just spent a week in Florida. Had a few good caching days although for the most part the owners don't look after their caches or respond to notes. In the good ol'state of Maine, I dare say there are many caches bearing the snowflake icon that we can't get now even with excavators. I know beacause we looked for a few marked snow friendly without success. Probably all 5000 of the guardrail micros should be temporarily archived by their owners. I'd like to see a new thread about this and perhaps occasional notes by members who have found snow friendly caches. I don't know how to start a new thread and figure I'm too much of a newbie to do so, so how can we get this discussion started? Thanks again for you kind comments and help. Dan

----

Looks like Haffy beat me to the punch to post your PM that you sent to me Dan . . .

Not much I can add to the conversation except to say that one of the best bets is to look for the snowflake icon for each cache you're looking at making an attempt on . . . my experience has shown me that folks that use the snowflake icon generally have caches where you won't be doing a lot of digging (caches are more likely to be hanging in trees, stumps, etc.) In fact, in some cases there are some winter caches that are definitely easier to access in the winter . . . think Etna Bog cache (which I still have yet to find incidentally) and there are a bunch of them in the Dixmont/Newburgh/Winterport area by . . . ah . . . my mind is a bit fried right now . . . nearly 200 miles in the past two days on the sled (not to mention one stuck sled and one low speed roll-over . . . at least I didn't crash my sled though . . . ah yes, couldn't think of their name for a minute . . . by Groleau.

Team2hunt
01-06-2008, 10:28 PM
When we first started at Christmas we had no choice but to go looking in the snow. My best tip is to look for a cache witha really good hint.

A clump of 3 trees. Or something like that. Makes it a lot easier to find under the snow if you have to dig. Good luck! :)

dubord207
01-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks Team2Hunt. Yeah, clues like "a clump of 3 trees" are great because those are the type we've been digging out. Have a season pass the the Loaf. Are there caches on the mountain?

hollora
01-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks Team2Hunt. Yeah, clues like "a clump of 3 trees" are great because those are the type we've been digging out. Have a season pass the the Loaf. Are there caches on the mountain?

I love the Sugarloaf area and spend many weekends there in high school a looonngggg time ago. There is at least one up on the mountain. I have not found it but here is the info - GCGZ6M http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=da64ece9-0039-4a85-88b6-1e4a9af134c3

Hopefully I did that link right. There are more in the area too - up into Eustis. Not all would be winter friendly but kayaking loon is from there and may be able to coach you on which ones are ok for winter.

Happy Caching 2008!

kayaking loon
01-21-2008, 10:33 AM
If you're going to Sugarloaf anyway, it would probably be worth trying to find some of my caches in the Eustis area. I give good hints on most of them (I think). A couple are in stumps so you should be able to find those. I even managed to put my hand into a guardrail and find View From the Bridge the other day. But the snow level goes up and down so fast this year that I don't dare to promise anything. There is a cache on Sugarloaf. And in December someone found my Narrow Gauge Trail cache, in the snow. OnTheRoadToMyersBeach is on our property so you can dig all you want for that one, and knock on our door and growl at us if you can't find it! There's no parking at Sarampus in the winter but you could probably pull in up the road and walk back, wade in and find that one. And you can walk to the island cache now since the lake is frozen. Give it a try! Any problems or questions, e-mail me privately and I'll give you my telephone number or come hold your hand.

hollora
01-21-2008, 07:07 PM
If you're going to Sugarloaf anyway, it would probably be worth trying to find some of my caches in the Eustis area. I give good hints on most of them (I think). A couple are in stumps so you should be able to find those. I even managed to put my hand into a guardrail and find View From the Bridge the other day. But the snow level goes up and down so fast this year that I don't dare to promise anything. There is a cache on Sugarloaf. And in December someone found my Narrow Gauge Trail cache, in the snow. OnTheRoadToMyersBeach is on our property so you can dig all you want for that one, and knock on our door and growl at us if you can't find it! There's no parking at Sarampus in the winter but you could probably pull in up the road and walk back, wade in and find that one. And you can walk to the island cache now since the lake is frozen. Give it a try! Any problems or questions, e-mail me privately and I'll give you my telephone number or come hold your hand.

Jean - you are so nice. This area is so beautiful - hopefully those who come will enjoy. We, as cachers, are blessed with the hospitality of this lady and the rest in the area. Sure can't wait for the event up here in the fall of 2008!

kayaking loon
01-22-2008, 09:53 AM
I tried to publish this event and discovered that you can only post an event six months or less in advance. So will try again in early April. This will be a joint effort of kayaking loon and Team Richards. See you all there and then! Well, hopefully, I'll see you all before that. :cool:

dubord207
01-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Was up to the Loaf last Wednesday and stuck my GPS in my parka "just in case I needed a caching fix." At the top of the Quad the arrow was pointing up about.17 miles and I don't go uphill with downhill skis on. No other lifts going higher so will try this one when the lifts go to the top. Di and I have a new attitude about winter caches: Go to Dimillo's, have stew and a Bloody Mary then grab all the micros in the Portland area. We're at 180, got a FTF yesterday and hope to get to 200 by this weekend.

d’76
01-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Was up to the Loaf last Wednesday and stuck my GPS in my parka "just in case I needed a caching fix." At the top of the Quad the arrow was pointing up about.17 miles and I don't go uphill with downhill skis on. No other lifts going higher so will try this one when the lifts go to the top. Di and I have a new attitude about winter caches: Go to Dimillo's, have stew and a Bloody Mary then grab all the micros in the Portland area. We're at 180, got a FTF yesterday and hope to get to 200 by this weekend.

Are you going to be at Karens event on Sunday?? That would make a cool 200

dubord207
01-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Are you going to be at Karens event on Sunday?? That would make a cool 200
Yes, we're going to be there bright and early. We need help in pocket queries and paperless caching. I'm bringing the Palm, not sure if I should bring a laptop as well. So do we get credit for a find just by attending? Di and I hope to urban cache a pile of micros in Portland on Saturday so maybe I'll stop when we hit 199? I hope I'm still invited. I logged a first to find yesterday at the Arborteum in Augusta. Just luck as you can see from my log. Pretty sure Gob-ler drove in just as I pulled away from the area. He's my hero with his aggressive approach to new caches. Meanwhile, Karen apparently showed up after Gog-ler had logged and headed home. Last nite with the moon and all was a great night for winter caching. We'll be there. Dan :):)

Medawisla
01-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Yes, we're going to be there bright and early. We need help in pocket queries and paperless caching. I'm bringing the Palm, not sure if I should bring a laptop as well. So do we get credit for a find just by attending? Di and I hope to urban cache a pile of micros in Portland on Saturday so maybe I'll stop when we hit 199? I hope I'm still invited. I logged a first to find yesterday at the Arborteum in Augusta. Just luck as you can see from my log. Pretty sure Gob-ler drove in just as I pulled away from the area. He's my hero with his aggressive approach to new caches. Meanwhile, Karen apparently showed up after Gog-ler had logged and headed home. Last nite with the moon and all was a great night for winter caching. We'll be there. Dan :):)

I can't believe you guys didn't trade anything!!:eek: There were awesome things in that cache! I meant to go today, but tagged along to a presentation in Rockland...maybe tomorrow. ;)

firefighterjake
01-24-2008, 08:55 AM

In answer to your question . . . well one question at least . . . yes, attending events = logged find.

dubord207
01-24-2008, 06:45 PM
I can't believe you guys didn't trade anything!!:eek: There were awesome things in that cache! I meant to go today, but tagged along to a presentation in Rockland...maybe tomorrow. ;)
I went there to do the cache that's way the heck out back. By the time I dragged my sorry butt back down the hill I was ready for a martini but went back up to find Frosty. Too tired and while the moon was coming up I really wasn't prepped for a TB exchange but dropped a nice Stargeezer coin in the cache that Gob-ler grabbed. The cacher that put this out is very clever with his camo, noticed a DNF on his UMA Trail Cache today even though the caches is presently right out in the open. Look forward to meeting all you folks Sunday!

Medawisla
01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I went there to do the cache that's way the heck out back. By the time I dragged my sorry butt back down the hill I was ready for a martini but went back up to find Frosty. Too tired and while the moon was coming up I really wasn't prepped for a TB exchange but dropped a nice Stargeezer coin in the cache that Gob-ler grabbed. The cacher that put this out is very clever with his camo, noticed a DNF on his UMA Trail Cache today even though the caches is presently right out in the open. Look forward to meeting all you folks Sunday!

I can't wait to meet you either! I love addicted newbies!! I mean the newbies who are so into caching they leave stuff even though they're not taking anything and going the extra mile to post all about the cache they've visited! Plus, I'm into policy stuff too and have a friend who's in law school right now. Have you found the 2-cent bridge cache yet?

firefighterjake
01-25-2008, 09:29 AM
I can't wait to meet you either! I love addicted newbies!! I mean the newbies who are so into caching they leave stuff even though they're not taking anything and going the extra mile to post all about the cache they've visited! Plus, I'm into policy stuff too and have a friend who's in law school right now. Have you found the 2-cent bridge cache yet?

Well I'm not a newbie and I still leave stuff in caches without taking things . . . but I'm often a bit choosey . . . usually I do so in caches that are well hidden, well built (i.e. not cheap ziploc plasticware) or in a great location (or a combination of all three.)

darterkitfox
01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't know how many of you guys do this but my wife and I get all the free stuff on rebates from Riteaid every week and put a lot of that into the caches. This weeks ad had almost a whole page of free stuff. Some of the items going in to caches this summer will be 512 mb fusion drive for $9.99, lansinoh clean and condition clothes $3.99, diaper mates disposable bags $2.49, light bulbs $2.00, and luminous color hair glaze for $7.99. Since the rebates are all on line, it doesn't even cost for a stamp. Once a month we get a check back for the full amount and we have a huge supply of stuff we don't use. We have gotten lots of electronics this way and almost once a month they have power strips which we put in caches quite often. Needless to say, when we put this stuff in, we don't usually take out the used golf ball or such that we normally see.