View Full Version : Warning: Scary Cache in Augusta!

dubord207
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm real nervous. Many of you know what I do for a living, yes I'm an Attorney. I tried to beat Gob-ler to this cache for a FTF but he snuck in in the middle of the night, I think. That's not the problem. He put money, yes CASH in the cache! I feel this could be a "lawyer trap" and I have concerns about going after this one. What if there's snares or other things to which I could become entangled? I'll go but I'm bring bolt cutters and a cutting torch and TWO cellphones. If I make it I'm also troubled by a possible ethical issue, i.e., do I keep ALL the money or just the usual one-third? I'm not going to sleep well tonite. Firefighterjake, are you certified on Hurst tools and extrication? Can you drive down tomorrow to see me through this? And I thought this was all fun and games.....:confused:

darterkitfox
01-11-2008, 05:48 PM
You won't need bolt cutters or anything. Lawyers are slippery enough.

WhereRWe?
01-11-2008, 06:06 PM
He put money, yes CASH in the cache!

Was it a "Where's George" (http://www.wheresgeorge.com/) bill?

:D :D

dubord207
01-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't care if if it's Where's George or Who's George, it's got to be a trap! You guys have to offer a little help here!!!!!:rolleyes: :confused:

hollora
01-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Well, I don't know to what cache you refer (found it - the one at UMA) - but I can say I have found a lot of cash ($) in caches. Oh, no more than a $1.00 but over two years - maybe I could go to McDonald's for a Happy Meal.

What someone puts into a cache is entirely up to them. If it's $ (cash), well, the next person may take it or not. I remember one FTF which had a FTF prize of a $5.00 bill (thank you Parmachenee). It was literally stuffed in the match container.

Well -JMHO (Just my humble opinion.). Next?

WhereRWe?
01-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Sheesh! If there's cash in the cache, take it if you want. Leave it if you want. I always take it when I find it in a cache... :eek: :eek:

I know I'm getting old, but I really don't understand what the question is.

FuddsGirls
01-11-2008, 07:41 PM
One Third would be appropriate. That would leave two thirds for FFJ or myself to get paid for our volunteer work rescueing you:D

dubord207
01-11-2008, 07:47 PM
What would OJ do? If the cash fits..... Maybe I should skip this cache. Can we create a new cache symbol for lawyer friendly caches, or caches with no cash?

Team2hunt
01-11-2008, 07:53 PM
After checking the geocaching rule book........I found this.

page 23, para 4 56:7 if you take the entire amount you must leave something of equal value.

I'd leave a business card, since you are a lawyer. That should be of equal value. I guess. Depends on the type of lawyer too! :confused: Maybe 1/3 would be better. Good luck. After you log the cache, that is.

dubord207
01-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for giving me the Rules. That makes me feel a little better, but now I have received a Private Message that creates a whole new problem. I has been reported to me that there is a cache in North New Portland that has one of those little"nipper" bottles of gin in it. This is a clear violation of all caching rules as we all know. The problem is that gin makes martinis, the national drink of lawyers. (Why do you think they call it a BAR association.) So now there's another trap being laid and it's on the way to Sugarloaf where I just happen to have a season pass. Help, the paranoids are following me! I better stay home and look for an accident scene or something to calm my nerves!

Haffy
01-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Heck if it were me and I was a lawyer I'd take the whole darn wad of money cause isn't that what lawyers do is take everything you own? :eek: ;)

dubord207
01-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Ok Haffy, I know where you live!!!

team teebow
01-11-2008, 10:16 PM
If you take it just make sure you report your earnings to Mr. Baldacci so he can fill his budget gap.......

Gob-ler
01-12-2008, 01:05 AM
All this legal mumbo jumbo has left me reeling. From now on I'll just say I left a cup of coffee or something ambigous like that.

Had I known I was going to cause all this headache for one of the legal profession I would have probably left more and really cause a problem. (smile)

PS - It's a Where's George for the next person to use as they see fit.

Team2hunt
01-12-2008, 09:16 AM
All this legal mumbo jumbo has left me reeling. From now on I'll just say I left a cup of coffee or something ambigous like that.

Good thing you didn't say " leave a donut " or you'd have every cop in town............Sorry! :rolleyes:

hollora
01-12-2008, 09:37 AM
(smile)

PS - It's a Where's George for the next person to use as they see fit.

I just love the Where's George bills! Also the Book Crossing books. Just another form of trackables.:)

WhereRWe?
01-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I just love the Where's George bills! Also the Book Crossing books. Just another form of trackables.:)

I've released almost 8,500 "Where's George" bills, but have never received one back in change! LOL! I usually carry a wad of them with me to feed the self checkout machines at Wally World and Shaws. :D :D

Gob-ler
01-12-2008, 10:42 AM
I look for them in the Red Kettles. This year I processed about 100 of them including a 10 and a 5. It's interesting to see where they have been.

I am working on figureing out where they are going. I have a ways to go with that one.

Now that we know we have a lawyer in the group, does that mean Lawyer jokes are taboo?

Sudonim
01-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Now that we know we have a lawyer in the group, does that mean Lawyer jokes are taboo?

From the sound of it, sounds like they are encouraged!:p

dubord207
01-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Absolutely no problem on my end. I've heard a bunch over the years. Now for the news: I went to UMA Trail Cache today with great trepidation. The camo on this bugger is terrific and I walked by it a couple of times and finally spotted it. I got a real long stick and moved it an inch or so to make sure it was booby-trapped. So scratch this off my list. I DID NOT take the money! At my hourly rate the amount in the cache would only buy about 14 seconds of my time. Yes, it will buy a cup of regular coffee but not that fancy perfume smelling stuff that costs about ten bucks a cup. Show them you mean bussssssinesssssss......

dubord207
01-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Can somebody give a readers' digest note as to what the Where's George dollars are all about. I really didn't look that closely but did see some stuff stamped in red. Thanks folks!

Sudonim
01-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Try this:
http://www.wheresgeorge.com/

firefighterjake
01-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Good thing you didn't say " leave a donut " or you'd have every cop in town............Sorry! :rolleyes:

. . . and half of the firefighters. ;) :D

Hiram357
01-12-2008, 07:31 PM
. . . and half of the firefighters. ;) :D

no, they didn't say UHOP... :p :D

firefighterjake
01-12-2008, 07:32 PM
I once found $100 in a cache . . . true story . . . of course it was an Iraqi dinar with Saddam Hussein on it and therefore it was nearly worthless. :)

dubord207
01-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow! That's quite cool. Is it common to find the Where's George dollars in caches? I've done only a 150 or so and this is the first time I've heard of this. Yet another new twist, gotta love it!

hollora
01-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Wow! That's quite cool. Is it common to find the Where's George dollars in caches? I've done only a 150 or so and this is the first time I've heard of this. Yet another new twist, gotta love it!

Where's George dollars are found on occasion - your gas tank would wheeze between caches stocked with them......but they are there on occasion. Some cachers are heavy into the WGDs. And then there are the cachers who just leave change and regular $ or silver (yes, I have found silver coins too.......)

WhereRWe?
01-13-2008, 01:13 PM

One of the goals in "Where's George" is to get as many hits - reports on the bill's location - as possible. Used to be that "Where's Georgers" put marked bills in caches assuming that cachers were more likely to report the find, and also move them to another cache to be reported again.

But... The owner of the "Where's George" web site so that any bill reported as being found in a geocache is no longer eligible for the record books. So not as many "Georges" are showing up in caches.

There's one guy in Biddeford who has entered more than 55,000 bills.

Remember: It's ALWAYS about the numbers! LOL! (I'm ranked #11 in Maine and #863 nationally.)

(Sheesh!)

hollora
01-13-2008, 03:42 PM
One of the goals in "Where's George" is to get as many hits - reports on the bill's location - as possible. Used to be that "Where's Georgers" put marked bills in caches assuming that cachers were more likely to report the find, and also move them to another cache to be reported again.

But... The owner of the "Where's George" web site so that any bill reported as being found in a geocache is no longer eligible for the record books. So not as many "Georges" are showing up in caches.

There's one guy in Biddeford who has entered more than 55,000 bills.

Remember: It's ALWAYS about the numbers! LOL! (I'm ranked #11 in Maine and #863 nationally.)

(Sheesh!)

Wow - I didn't know that about Where's George $ and Geocaches - that's a bummer.

Haffy
01-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah I got a rather nasty email from a Where's Georger one time when I picked up and placed a bill in a cache at one time. I don't bother with them anymore unless it is in regular circulation.

Cache Maine
01-13-2008, 07:13 PM
I was banned from the site a few years ago due to transferring bills in a way that they didn't agree with. Whatever. I do still notice them but that's about it, just cash for me.

Hiram357
01-13-2008, 10:33 PM
I was banned from the site a few years ago due to transferring bills in a way that they didn't agree with. Whatever. I do still notice them but that's about it, just cash for me.

lol, is there a wrong way to pass along money?? why did they ban caches from their website? imo, their purpose is to track how the money moves right? and if it wasnt a wheres george bill in the cache then it'd probably be another one... so whats up with that??? :confused::D

dubord207
01-14-2008, 03:18 PM
lol, is there a wrong way to pass along money?? why did they ban caches from their website? imo, their purpose is to track how the money moves right? and if it wasnt a wheres george bill in the cache then it'd probably be another one... so whats up with that??? :confused::D
It looks like we've come full circle to when I started this craziness with the reference to cash in caches and possible lawyer traps. Maybe the Where's George guy doesn't like lawyers as much as you all do? So this discrimination against geocachers sounds like a potential class action suit that we should file. If somebody wants to pay me a $3.50 retainer, I'll make the sob's take our dollar bills!! How dare they! I'm outraged! Let's get 'em: Win, Win, One...we mean bussinessss!

Hiram357
01-14-2008, 03:55 PM
It looks like we've come full circle to when I started this craziness with the reference to cash in caches and possible lawyer traps. Maybe the Where's George guy doesn't like lawyers as much as you all do? So this discrimination against geocachers sounds like a potential class action suit that we should file. If somebody wants to pay me a $3.50 retainer, I'll make the sob's take our dollar bills!! How dare they! I'm outraged! Let's get 'em: Win, Win, One...we mean bussinessss!

heh, ok, i put your $3.50 (in odd change) in caches around maine, so go out and find it, and when ya get the whole $3.50 you can get started!! :D:D:D

WhereRWe?
01-14-2008, 04:38 PM

The point of Where's George is to track how a bill travels in regular commerce - using cache for a purchase. If you buy $100 in $1 bills, mark them, enter them at Where's George, and then return them to the bank unspent, that's not considered "regular commerce".

For example, the "top user" (javascript:popup_win('user_profile_popup.php?ukey =fd088869d1cf6c0a0d0d7b3c075f421c',600,800,'yes'); ) on Where's George has entered over 827,000 bills since 2002. Figuring 6 years with 365 days per year, that means he's marked and entered over 377 bills each and every day for 6 years? I doubt it. And how could a person spend $827,000 in CASH in 6 years ($578,000 of it in $1 bills!)?

darterkitfox
01-14-2008, 05:34 PM
And how could a person spend $827,000 in CASH in 6 years ($578,000 of it in $1 bills!)?

At Platinum Plus in Westbrook!

d’76
01-14-2008, 05:42 PM

Been there done that, The cover charge and the price of a beer was way to expensive for my taste. Give me La Casa any day:D

EMSDanel
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
OK, Dubord...here's my offer. I can think of a number of caches that can be considered "lawyer traps" across Maine. I think it's in your best interest to always have a paramedic close by in case of a sudden emergency. Let's negotiate.... Oh, also, in reference to an earlier entry where someone questioned making change for those Where's George bills.....wouldn't the change have to be in Where's George quarters???

hollora
01-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Been there done that, The cover charge and the price of a beer was way to expensive for my taste. Give me La Casa any day:D

He, he and they have Local talent!:D

hollora
01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
OK, Dubord...here's my offer. I can think of a number of caches that can be considered "lawyer traps" across Maine. I think it's in your best interest to always have a paramedic close by in case of a sudden emergency. Let's negotiate.... Oh, also, in reference to an earlier entry where someone questioned making change for those Where's George bills.....wouldn't the change have to be in Where's George quarters???

Not all Where's George bills are $1s......there are $20s and more. Now, I can think of a few caches where I would have liked to have had a paramedic with me.........:eek:

Hiram357
01-14-2008, 10:33 PM

I got kicked outta there, they got pretty upset when I went in with a bag full of quarters... :rolleyes:

(and for those of you wonder, yes it is a joke)

firefighterjake
01-15-2008, 09:28 AM
He, he and they have Local talent!:D

And now, coming to you live all the way from the big city of Bangor, Maine . . . it's tantalizing Tiffany (or sensational Sasha, luscious Lisa, cute Candy or some other similar name) . . . or so I've heard. ;):D

firefighterjake
01-15-2008, 09:28 AM

That's pretty funny! :D:D:D

firefighterjake
01-15-2008, 09:30 AM

A year or so back my brother in law from CT and I were sledding up in the Millinocket area when I spied a trail-side sign mentioning the Casa . . . I stopped and explained the significance at which point he exclaimed, "This is a great state . . . you can ride your sleds to restaurants, gas stations and even [type of business -- edited for young minds.]

firefighterjake
01-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I got kicked outta there, they got pretty upset when I went in with a bag full of quarters... :rolleyes:

(and for those of you wonder, yes it is a joke)

So what's the joke . . . that you went there . . . or you went there with a bag full of quarters? ;):D

WhereRWe?
01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Not all Where's George bills are $1s......there are $20s and more.

People who are more interested in "hit rate" (percentage of bills which actually get logged by a finder) usually only enter $1 bills as the hit rate for higher denominations drops off rapidly. These days it's rare to see 1 $20 bill entered.

Gob-ler
01-15-2008, 04:08 PM
What's interesting is that I have found a 20, 10 and 5 and interestingly enough they have had very little activity. The 20 was my biggest mileage bill, it had been entered in Irag.

I have a person here in the Lewiston area that has had me find quite a number of her bills in the Red Kettles. She is saying now she is going to put one out there with my name on it to see if I can find that one.

I just find it to be an interesting thing to look at when I find them.

hollora
01-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I just find it to be an interesting thing to look at when I find them.

Agreed, and the lady who puts them in the Red Kettles - her heart is in the right place!:)

Beach Comber
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Help, the paranoids are following me!

Welcome to my world - lol

I was fortunate enough to get a FTF with a cash prize. I didn't have any challenges scooping that prize out of the container! Otherwise, I'm not sure what I would do. Probably depends on the price of gas, the state of my finances and who is with me when I am caching - hehehehe

hide_from_the_kids
10-28-2008, 01:42 PM
If Someone Could Leave A Signed Blank Check In One Of The Augusta Area Caches I Would See That It Gets A Nice Comfortable Home.:d

HStaples
11-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Jeez Louise, another lawyer type out geocaching? I'm a law student at Maine Law, and the last thing I need it to run into a future colleague while knee high in mud.

Ethical dilemma on taking the cash? C'mon, just leave a note in there for Gob-ler to return and sign that would constitute informed consent. You know that, counseler. :-)

I'd just consider the work pro bono, personally, and leave it. Happy caching! Heather

hide_from_the_kids
11-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Jeez Louise, another lawyer type out geocaching? I'm a law student at Maine Law, and the last thing I need it to run into a future colleague while knee high in mud.

Ethical dilemma on taking the cash? C'mon, just leave a note in there for Gob-ler to return and sign that would constitute informed consent. You know that, counseler. :-)

I'd just consider the work pro bono, personally, and leave it. Happy caching! Heather
this is where about ten or so of us would start plugging in lawyer jokes but seeing your new i won't be the first i'll let someone else do that.

:Dok knee high in mud is a good start:D:p:):D;)

HStaples
11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
this is where about ten or so of us would start plugging in lawyer jokes but seeing your new i won't be the first i'll let someone else do that.

:Dok knee high in mud is a good start:D:p:):D;)

Ha ha ha :) OK, I could make comparisons between being stuck in the mud and being stuck in the rules of evidence, but I won't. Nah.

Well... both are extremely frustrating.