View Full Version : Celebrate 2007 (Jan.27th Windsor School)

Kaching Karen
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
2:00 The school opens... meet and greet
2:30 Kid's games in the gym (okay, big kids allowed too)
3:00 Games geared towards adults in the cafeteria
3:30 Kid's cache. Bring your outside gear!
4:30 Potluck Supper in the cafeteria

Ongoing:
- Computer/Technology table
- Coin and Travel Bug table
- Wall of fame... brag about those numbers and special events!
- Craft table
- Playground outside (kids need to be supervised)
- Slide show (send me your favorite geocaching pictures)!

Please note: there is no outside footwear allowed in the gymnasium. We can go in our sock feet, but you may want to bring sneakers or something for your feet. The cafeteria is a boot friendly area.

What I need:
:) Donations for the kids cache.
:) Pictures for the slide show. You can e-mail them to me.
:) Potluck... you might want to post what you are bringing, but not necessary.
:) Crafty stuff
:) Something for the wall of fame
:) Computer/technology people to show off their goods.
:) Good weather and lots of happy people!

Thanks everyone!

Medawisla
01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Karen, what's left to do/get/prepare?:confused: I can help out after work on Friday and Saturday...:)
I think you started another thread about what's left to get, but I can't find it...:p

Kaching Karen
01-23-2008, 10:58 PM
At this point there's not much....

A donation for the kids cache. No prize over $5.00 please. My mind keeps changing about how to do this, but I think I'll have the kids pick a prize (youngest first) and then go find the number that matches the prize in the woods. The coordinates would be on individual prizes.

Food... It's pot luck. I don't have a clue who is bringing what.

TAT is bringing tablecloths and there are tons of plate, cups, bowls and plastic forks, knives, spoons and napkins left over from last year.

The banners are made.

Kids games in the gym will be easy. I'm the Phys. Ed. teacher and have the key to the best equipment in the world.

I'm still working on the Adult game. Will probably do the same kind as last year but will focus on the numbers. I don't do prizes for the adults, but if someone wants to donate... hey, why not?

Technology and knowledge... if you've got it. Bring it!

For those who were at my house before the event last year, you'll be glad to know I'm not such a nervous wreck.

Kaching Karen
01-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Extension cords and power surge bars.....

Glue guns ... kids had fun at the "make your own signature item" table.... anyone got glue and aphabet noodles? Just a thought....

firefighterjake
01-24-2008, 08:58 AM
At this point there's not much....

A donation for the kids cache. No prize over $5.00 please. My mind keeps changing about how to do this, but I think I'll have the kids pick a prize (youngest first) and then go find the number that matches the prize in the woods. The coordinates would be on individual prizes.

Food... It's pot luck. I don't have a clue who is bringing what.

TAT is bringing tablecloths and there are tons of plate, cups, bowls and plastic forks, knives, spoons and napkins left over from last year.

The banners are made.

Kids games in the gym will be easy. I'm the Phys. Ed. teacher and have the key to the best equipment in the world.

I'm still working on the Adult game. Will probably do the same kind as last year but will focus on the numbers. I don't do prizes for the adults, but if someone wants to donate... hey, why not?

Technology and knowledge... if you've got it. Bring it!

For those who were at my house before the event last year, you'll be glad to know I'm not such a nervous wreck.

As you probably know KK I don't do events, but in my line of work I tend to have access to "kid stuff" (i.e. frisbees, toys, etc.) . . . if you would like a donation and can convince someone who is going to attend the event to swing by between now and the event (say someone who lives in Waterville maybe and is familiar with where I live) I can donate some kid swag.

dubord207
01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
As you probably know KK I don't do events, but in my line of work I tend to have access to "kid stuff" (i.e. frisbees, toys, etc.) . . . if you would like a donation and can convince someone who is going to attend the event to swing by between now and the event (say someone who lives in Waterville maybe and is familiar with where I live) I can donate some kid swag.
Hi There, I'm going with Di. Don't have time to run out of Unity but if you want to drop the stuff off at my office tomorrow before 1:00, I can bring it for you. My office is at 226 Main in the Kennebec Saving Bank building. Suggest you call me first so I don't head out early to cache.(I'm looking to use the event as #200 and need 17 more between now and then). Cell # is557-5537, office is 872-2743.

Medawisla
01-24-2008, 06:50 PM

Dubord: not sure, but I think FFJ is jabbing at Hiram and me, but thanks for offering to rondevue!:p:D

I'm not sure I can make it to Unity before the event...

FFJ: Hiram is staying home Saturday, finish cleaning out the plumbing. But if I come to Unity to hang out with friends Saturday, to advoid the bathroom smell, then I'll swing by. :rolleyes::)

firefighterjake
01-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi There, I'm going with Di. Don't have time to run out of Unity but if you want to drop the stuff off at my office tomorrow before 1:00, I can bring it for you. My office is at 226 Main in the Kennebec Saving Bank building. Suggest you call me first so I don't head out early to cache.(I'm looking to use the event as #200 and need 17 more between now and then). Cell # is557-5537, office is 872-2743.

Thanks for the offer . . . and for letting me know where you work . . . at some point Heidi and I will be setting up an appointment to get our will and other papers in order.

However, I was referring to someone else . . . incidentally, if you head over to Unity there are at least a couple of easy caches that you can nab without much (or any) digging if you haven't nabbed them already . . . I'm thinking of Nially's Bear cache and my RFD cache.

firefighterjake
01-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Dubord: not sure, but I think FFJ is jabbing at Hiram and me, but thanks for offering to rondevue!:p:D

I'm not sure I can make it to Unity before the event...

FFJ: Hiram is staying home Saturday, finish cleaning out the plumbing. But if I come to Unity to hang out with friends Saturday, to advoid the bathroom smell, then I'll swing by. :rolleyes::)

Oh, oh, oh . . . looks like it won't be Aaron sleeping on the couch for the next few days . . . for once it will be Steph . . . you're an awful and cruel person Steph to pick on poor, ol' Aaron . . . I mean what has he ever done or said about you? ;):D

You see a better way of saying what you wanted to say was to say something about the plumbing in Aaron's apartment being repaired and that the landlord was coming by to give the pipes a final cleaning. ;)

In all truthfulness, I'm glad to hear the plumbing is OK . . . I was a bit concerned to tell the truth since the plumbing problems you guys were having can be a major issue in some cases . . . I should know I ended up having to unplug my septic system this morning when I realized I had an issue when the water in the shower wasn't going down . . . you should have seen it when I got the blockage out at the septic system unplugged -- it was like a brown Niagra Falls.:eek:

I'll probably be out sledding on Saturday . . . but I can put the bag of goodies in the garage. Heidi should be home all day . . . if you do stop by say hi to her . . . and then you'll see that she wasn't just an actor I paid for the day to pose as my "wife" when you guys camped over for the Commonground Fair.

Medawisla
01-25-2008, 11:14 PM
I'll probably be out sledding on Saturday . . . but I can put the bag of goodies in the garage. Heidi should be home all day . . . if you do stop by say hi to her . . . and then you'll see that she wasn't just an actor I paid for the day to pose as my "wife" when you guys camped over for the Commonground Fair.

Sure if I come that way, I'll be sure to say hi to Heidi! :cool:
Have a great weekend riding! even though you're not coming to the event dressed as a firefighter...:rolleyes::p

firefighterjake
01-26-2008, 06:36 AM
. . .

Steph . . . if you do come out and for some reason no one is here (unlikely) just walk into the garage through the side door (pay no attention to the security alarm warning sticker). The box of goodies is next to the entry door on the bench . . . you'll see a box of frisbees, some bouncy balls and a stuffed toy dalmatian.

Medawisla
01-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Karen, what's left to do/get/prepare?:confused: I can help out after work on Friday and Saturday...:)
I think you started another thread about what's left to get, but I can't find it...:p

Hi Karen, I know you're out having fun and relaxing today before tomorrow's big event!;) (That's right everyone, she's prepared this year!:rolleyes::D) Just wanted to let you know I've made a great list of the TBs and Coins dropped and lots of blanks for those who bring them without dropping.:rolleyes: I'll update it again in the morning before we head to Augusta. Can't wait!:D:D

Medawisla
01-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Steph . . . if you do come out and for some reason no one is here (unlikely) just walk into the garage through the side door (pay no attention to the security alarm warning sticker). The box of goodies is next to the entry door on the bench . . . you'll see a box of frisbees, some bouncy balls and a stuffed toy dalmatian.

I doubt I'll make it today...gotta do laundry and Waterville errands...but if I get really bored I may be by. Is there enough snow for sledding??:confused::p

d’76
01-26-2008, 12:50 PM
i was wondering if might be agood idea to have a fellow cacher be at the table to keep eyes on the tbs as it seems all to often the y get lost or never logged out of the event then "lost" I remember this hapenning several times before and it is always unfortunate when it does. Folks seem to forget that these tbs and coins belong to someone

Just a thought

Kaching Karen
01-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I asked Stephanie if she would make the spread sheet for the TBs and Coins so that we can keep track of them. She also offered to check on the table and if someone doesn't sign them in or out, we'll make an announcement at pot luck time. I had a person contact me this year about a coin from Iraq that got dropped at my Celebrate 2006 event and it got lost from there. I felt so bad. I don't want that to happen again.

WhereRWe?
01-26-2008, 02:43 PM
I had a person contact me this year about a coin from Iraq that got dropped at my Celebrate 2006 event and it got lost from there. I felt so bad. I don't want that to happen again.

I hate to think that someone among us "regular" central Maine cachers is a thief, but coins go missing too often from events for it to be anything else...

:mad::mad:

Medawisla
01-26-2008, 02:58 PM
I asked Stephanie if she would make the spread sheet for the TBs and Coins so that we can keep track of them. She also offered to check on the table and if someone doesn't sign them in or out, we'll make an announcement at pot luck time. I had a person contact me this year about a coin from Iraq that got dropped at my Celebrate 2006 event and it got lost from there. I felt so bad. I don't want that to happen again.

Yup I'll be there as people pour in around 2 and then I'll be sure to check up on the table regularly. If we find that some haven't been logged as dropped or some that have but haven't been logged as picked up, we'll announce them right before potluck time. Hopefully all will go well.:)

Medawisla
01-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks Karen for putting on a great event!!:D:cool:
Thanks to everyone for being so friendly and helpful. I think my friends Beth and Nick (TerraAqito) will be back for more; keep your eyes pealed.:cool::p
Thanks Gob-ler and other techies for helping everyone out!:cool:
Thanks for those who brought food; there wasn't one bad thing there!!:D
Thanks for everyone who helped set up as you arrived!!:cool:
Dubord, it was great to meet you guys, I really hope we get to chat more in the future! (Afternoons are not my best times; ask Beth, I'm a morning person:rolleyes::p)

WhereRWe?
01-27-2008, 08:24 PM
I think my friends Beth and Nick (TerraAqito) will be back for more; keep your eyes pealed.:cool::p

They just joined geocachingmaine.org! LOL!

(Peeled) ;);)

Medawisla
01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
(Peeled) ;);)

Yeh!
And that's why I have the Board review the newsletters...:p:o:p

Medawisla
01-27-2008, 09:01 PM
They just joined geocachingmaine.org! LOL!

(Peeled) ;);)

Yeah, spelling is really not my forte...they are TerraAgito...it's a g not a q. Sorry :p:o

WhereRWe?
01-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeh!
And that's why I have the Board review the newsletters...:p:o:p

Sorry. Spelling has always been a pet peeve of mine. Don't know why, but I've been like this for decades! LOL! :o:o

d’76
01-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Hiram,

You should have been there to keep Steph in check. I had to pull her aside and explain that her behaviors where adversly affecting the childern. Brings a new meaning to "when the cats(hiram) away to mice will act crazy.

:D:):p

Medawisla
01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Hiram,

You should have been there to keep Steph in check. I had to pull her aside and explain that her behaviors where adversly affecting the childern. Brings a new meaning to "when the cats(hiram) away to mice will act crazy.

I know...jumping up on that chair was a bit much, you think?:rolleyes::D tehehe
I suppose you sent him a PM with the particulars of my behavior??;):confused::p haha
It was really great to see you and Connie both!!:D:cool:

Hiram357
01-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Hiram,

You say that like this is something new... I'm suprised she even came home... :rolleyes:

EMSDanel
01-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Re: Missing coins/TB's...

I was hesitent in bringing a 2005 Compass Rose coin that I had found in a cache to any geoevent. That's a very "sought after" coin and, sure enough, before the event was half-way done it went missing without being signed for. I sure hope that was an unintentional oversight and that it gets back into circulation again. I'm trying to be optimistic here......

attroll
01-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Re: Missing coins/TB's...

I was hesitent in bringing a 2005 Compass Rose coin that I had found in a cache to any geoevent. That's a very "sought after" coin and, sure enough, before the event was half-way done it went missing without being signed for. I sure hope that was an unintentional oversight and that it gets back into circulation again. I'm trying to be optimistic here......
This is always a problem with any event hosted. I have this problem with every event I have hosted in the past. Unless you have someone sitting at the TB table all day it is bound to happen.

I think my next event I am going to post it saying TB's are not part of the event.

Cache Maine
01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
This is always a problem with any event hosted. I have this problem with every event I have hosted in the past. Unless you have someone sitting at the TB table all day it is bound to happen.

I think my next event I am going to post it saying TB's are not part of the event.

Oh great, now I'll have to stand out in the street and play with all the trackables. :D:p

Sudonim
01-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I brought a coin with a specific mission to the event and found someone to take it towards its goal, so I know who got it. Just wanted to make sure it would get moving.

hollora
01-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Trackables are a passion for me now. They were one of the biggest learning curves for me in the beginning. It is thanks to kaykerinme and later others who helped me learn what to do and created a monster who loves coins and trackables.

That being said, I think a lot of new folks do not even realize how important these trackables are to folks who own them. Also, some do not realize they need to do more than pick it up in their hand - that there is a logging procedure along the way. And then, as I have found in many cases - they get stuck in a pocket, bag or pack. I, as on oldster, have even been guilty of this - right Cache Maine? What did I do with that?

With all the experienced cachers at this event and newbies too - I am not pointing out anything except - it is very hard at events to keep a hand on trackables. Hence the reason GW5 did no tracking.

I don't know which is worse - trackables which were logged in and not out and no one was watching or keeping a record. At an event where someone like Steph - tried so very hard to keep a hand on what was coming or going it is very disappointing to have them missing. Of course she wanted to enjoy the event and left the table - any one would want to. Perhaps it is just not logged yet - and will appear.

Sudinum had the right idea for his. Some trackables ask not to go to events - and when asked should be respected. And Rick - how would the apple TB have come last year with not Trackables (just kidding - of course I would have brought it)?

When I release a TB or coin I hope for the best - knowing it may go MIA. And that can happen with a muggled cache too- it's not always events.

JMHO (Just my humble opinion).

Medawisla
01-28-2008, 06:51 PM
It is really frustrating.:mad: I didn't want to be a TB Nazi, but I guess that's what you've got to have if you have a TB table. I feel like I really let Karen down, she really didn't want this to happen AGAIN!:( I know that it's sometimes hard if there aren't clear logs at the table, but I thought mine were really obvious. I also thought if any did get picked up without being logged, that a simple announcement would clear up any confusion, guess not.:rolleyes: I think Sudonim is right, the only way to do it is to hold on to the TB until someone finds you who really wants it, so you know who it's going to. I'll hope for the best...

Gob-ler
01-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I may have missed something here or maybe am reading into things, but in reality it comes down to the integrity of the cacher (like we all did not know that right?). It's what you choose to do when no one is watching and even at the event with the extra work (a lot of extra work) was put into logging the items in and out, something may be missing. Hopefully the items that are not accounted for will show up. It used to be that coins and such were left for a while in events so they could be discovered, but now I log them immediately if I have taken them. They can still be discovered with no problem at all.

Hope the coins/TB's all make it through OK.

hollora
01-28-2008, 07:39 PM
No Gob-ler I don't think you missed anything. It just comes down to realizing right after an event that some TBs and coins are perhaps not accounted for (but may be). I was trying to help by saying when I was new I didn't quite know what to do. Often picked them up and kept them without logging. (Fortunately that wasn't for long - as someone helped me.)

Steph was trying really hard to keep track. Some sort of fell through the cracks. I know at the Pirate Quest last year - there was one lost which someone must have taken........it was a simulated US Passport with lots of stuff attached. Someone must have it.....but it has not been logged. The owner were upset but understood. Guess KK had a coin disappear from her event last year too.

The GW5 event didn't track any of the 1000s which went through their event. Some are probably still missing. When you set it free, like children - there are no guarantees. If we handle it in the middle - again - only so much we can do.

Steph - chin up, you did your best. Perhaps any which are missing will turn up. Have and keep the faith!

dubord207
01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
No Gob-ler I don't think you missed anything. It just comes down to realizing right after an event that some TBs and coins are perhaps not accounted for (but may be). I was trying to help by saying when I was new I didn't quite know what to do. Often picked them up and kept them without logging. (Fortunately that wasn't for long - as someone helped me.)

Steph was trying really hard to keep track. Some sort of fell through the cracks. I know at the Pirate Quest last year - there was one lost which someone must have taken........it was a simulated US Passport with lots of stuff attached. Someone must have it.....but it has not been logged. The owner were upset but understood. Guess KK had a coin disappear from her event last year too.

The GW5 event didn't track any of the 1000s which went through their event. Some are probably still missing. When you set it free, like children - there are no guarantees. If we handle it in the middle - again - only so much we can do.

Steph - chin up, you did your best. Perhaps any which are missing will turn up. Have and keep the faith!
Just a thought. Some of the very new people who attended probably don't know about Geo-Maine. I didn't until Haffy brought to my attention after I'd already logged 100 caches. If Steph has the geo-names of everybody who attended, perhaps a blanket mailing to the newbies might do it. I didn't log my Tb's correctly initially (was putting the tracking #'s in my logs) so I bet the two missing coins are the hands of people who may not realize they should have logged them when they got home. Let's hope anyway..... And Steph, you did great and no way Karen would feel you let her down.

firefighterjake
01-29-2008, 08:59 AM
It is really frustrating.:mad: I didn't want to be a TB Nazi, but I guess that's what you've got to have if you have a TB table. I feel like I really let Karen down, she really didn't want this to happen AGAIN!:( I know that it's sometimes hard if there aren't clear logs at the table, but I thought mine were really obvious. I also thought if any did get picked up without being logged, that a simple announcement would clear up any confusion, guess not.:rolleyes: I think Sudonim is right, the only way to do it is to hold on to the TB until someone finds you who really wants it, so you know who it's going to. I'll hope for the best...

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/500/medium/the_soup_nazi017.jpg

No Travel Bugs for you! Next!!! ;):D

firefighterjake
01-29-2008, 09:01 AM
. . . there was one lost which someone must have taken........it was a simulated US Passport with lots of stuff attached. Someone must have it.....but it has not been logged. . . .

Maybe someone tried to use it while crossing to Campobello and they have been detained. . . . ;):D Maybe we should contact the folks at Gitanimo and see if they have some hapless geocacher locked up there. ;):D

Hiram357
01-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Oh great, now I'll have to stand out in the street and play with all the trackables. :D:p

lol, I can see it now, showing up to an event and there's cameo in a trenchcoat and dark sunglasses stoppin people as they go into the event... "Hey kid, wanna see some trackables, coins, tbs, watches, redsox tickets, I got em all, and i got em cheap!!" :D:D:D

Hiram357
01-29-2008, 05:22 PM
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/500/medium/the_soup_nazi017.jpg

No Travel Bugs for you! Next!!! ;):D

haha! i almost shot water out my nose from laughing at this one... :D

Mainiac1957
01-29-2008, 05:26 PM
haha! i almost shot water out my nose from laughing at this one... :D

Jake you are too funny.

hollora
01-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Just checked the event log and it appears some of the missing has been accounted for and folks just needed time to log them. A few may have been dropped and just not retrieved by a few but some of the ones discussed seem to have been accounted for in logs. Nice going - very nice.

Kaching Karen
01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Gosh, I hope I don't miss anyone here. Well, I know I have, because I'm not sure who all worked at the technology table and gave advice.

I don't know where to start. Thanks to all for attending! What a blast. I only wish there were more kids there, but we had the usual big kids at heart. It was such a nice mix of newbies and us oldies (well, not that old).
:)Gob-ler, Team Richards, Hollera.... thanks for help with the kids cache.
:)Medawisla, Robt, TAT... thanks for getting there early and helping set up. tat for staying late and helping clean up.
:)Medawisla... thanks for the Travel Bug Table help and you can jump on a chair anytime and join me!
:)TAT & Robt... thanks for being my techno geeks and putting together the slide show.
:)Gob-ler and Hollera... thanks for reminding us that every day is precious.
:):)Everyone.... thanks for the food, the stories, the traders, and so much more! You are the greatest bunch of people!:):)

:eek: I only took a picture of the group while I was there. Can people send me some pictures, please? :rolleyes:

Dangaea
01-29-2008, 10:54 PM
I was one of the new folks there and didn't take any TBs with me.

Kaching Karen
01-30-2008, 06:14 AM
Just about all the TB's are accounted for and we are quite sure we know where the few that aren't picked up are at. Isn't that cool? Nice job Steph. It was a tough job and it worked. Thanks!

You may have noticed that I didn't take my travel bug out of my pocket unless someone asked to "Discover" it. Maybe we should make a wall list of people who are keeping their coins on them so people will know who is carrying what swag at an event. Just a thought. Keep the TB table. A lot of people have fun collecting them, moving them, and checking out the icons when they get home.

Have a good day all!