View Full Version : Aefuss a fellow Maine geocacher

attroll
01-24-2008, 03:09 AM
I hate to be the barer of bad news but a fellow Maine geocacher passed away yesterday. He was a member of our web site. He never posted in the forums. I do not know if any of you ever got to meet him. I personally never did. He lived in the area where Starzz is from. The person I am referring to is Aefuss (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/member.php?u=262). Starzz was the one that informed me about this and I felt that I should bring it to everyone’s attention a=in case one oyu you might now him.

Here are to articles about this.
http://www.wabi.tv/index.php?cat_id=...Focus=news4006 (http://www.wabi.tv/index.php?cat_id=4006&url_news4006=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wabi.tv%2Fmodules%2F News%2FdisplayNews.php%3Fid%3D2366&formFocus=news4006)
and
http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=79105 (http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=79105)

firefighterjake
01-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Wow . . . heard this on the news during the day . . . a sad thing to happen to anyone, but even sadder when this happens to a fellow geocacher.

brdad
01-24-2008, 07:03 AM
I've never met the guy, but wanted to. We exchanged several emails over the years, and he helped distribute the Jeeps in Eastern Maine a few times. He had a nice cache too, Nash's Lake Dam (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bfd85226-5fe5-476c-a605-2cab3ffaab9c) (GCK56W) by Aefuss (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=62431) (2/3)

becket
01-24-2008, 07:34 AM
i never met aefuss, but have two of his eartha marbles. i enjoyed seeing the marbles in various caches.

very sad.

firefighterjake
01-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Once again a senseless death . . . well deaths actually. Like Brdad and many others I also never met Aefuss although I did stumble across more than a few of his logs as I have cached downeast . . . while you can't truly know a person based on logs and pics alone you can get an idea of the type of person he was by looking through his logs and gallery at gc.com . . . truly a loss for downeast Maine and for all of us. My thoughts and prayers are with the survivors.:(

tat
01-24-2008, 09:46 AM
I never met him either, but recognize the name from logs. My thoughts are prayers go out to his family and survivors.

hollora
01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Before opening GCM, I usually read email. Had one this morning from Channon of parmachenee. She mentioned the fellow was a cacher.

It is a shame - such senseless loss of life. I will keep his family and the other family who lost a member in my throughts and prayers.

Sudonim
01-24-2008, 01:00 PM
I remember seeing his logs when I started caching in '03. Never met him, but often read his logs. What a loss.

Foxgloves
01-24-2008, 02:05 PM
This is so tragic....and my thoughts are with the family and the children.

I'm curious if GC.com has been notified of this. I know when Landrocket died there was some news about that on the GC forums. Maybe Attroll or someone from the Maine Forum board might want to email Jeremy. Or would that be inappropriate?

d’76
01-24-2008, 03:55 PM
I just dropped Jeremy a quick note and a link to the article in the BDN:(

brdad
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I will post it in the national forums

Haffy
01-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Such a tragic loss and my prayers will go out to the families involved. I never got to meet him either but have one of his infamous marbles that I found in a cache at one time.

Medawisla
01-24-2008, 07:10 PM
It is really sad news. I didn't meet him either, had one of his marbles once, sorry I traded it in another cache. What happens when a cacher dies, is there a time period when others can adopt their caches? It'd be nice to keep his memory alive with his cache hides.

hollora
01-24-2008, 07:57 PM
It is really sad news. I didn't meet him either, had one of his marbles once, sorry I traded it in another cache. What happens when a cacher dies, is there a time period when others can adopt their caches? It'd be nice to keep his memory alive with his cache hides.

Aefuss has one cache hide off the Stud Mill Road. Hopefully, someone may adopt it.:) I have never found it so right now don't stand in a position to even think about doing so.

Never found one of his marbles or met him. My loss clearly.:( Looks from his profile like he enjoyed caching with a person from St. John NB, too, as well as many from his area. Truly, truly a loss.

I have talked with KachingKaren and asked if a few words might be said at her event on Sunday. She is going to try to reach Gob-ler:D and otherwise, I will try to do justice to helping memorialize someone who shared this special sport with us.:)

The photo on TV tonight was his profile photo from this site. I just can't believe someone who loved life had thier life snuffed out like this.:( To me - it is purely domestic violence! Regardless of the why - it involved relationships and other things which resulted in the death of human beings! Inexcusable!:eek:

Purple ribbons - wear them for domestic violence! It is there - it can many times be a silent killer and you never know who the victims may be and what their relationships really are.........pray for them all!:)

JMHO (Just my Humble Opinion).

d’76
01-24-2008, 08:17 PM
here is the only cache of his that i could find

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bfd85226-5fe5-476c-a605-2cab3ffaab9c

hollora
01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
here is the only cache of his that i could find

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bfd85226-5fe5-476c-a605-2cab3ffaab9c

I do stand corrected, thank you Dave - that one is not off Stud Mill Rd. I was thinking of a cacne where he deposited a Geocoin belonging to my daughter this summer. Sorry for the confusion.

Sure hope someone will adopt the cache - it obviously mean a lot to him, this spot, so hopefully someone will be willing to continue the memory.

brdad
01-24-2008, 08:30 PM
His cache was what caching is all about, taking you somewhere you might not go otherwise. You can drive close if the dirt roads are good. Great spot, one of my favorite caches. Hopefully if someone immediate to him doesn't maintain it someone will adopt it.

Zoltarus
01-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Geocaching is definitely a special kind of sport. One that helps me to see how all of us are connected, even to those we have never met.

My condolences to those who knew Aefuss personally. . . I know that nothing really helps at a time like this.

I can see from the logs that there were several geocachers with which he was very close; and I am sure that all fellow geocachers will respect whatever wishes family and other loved ones may have for active caches and travelbugs, as well as memorials or remembrances. You have but to ask.

- Zol

Cache Maine
01-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Never found one of his marbles or met him. My loss clearly.:( Looks from his profile like he enjoyed caching with a person from St. John NB, too, as well as many from his area. Truly, truly a loss.

I have talked with KachingKaren and asked if a few words might be said at her event on Sunday. She is going to try to reach Gob-ler:D and otherwise, I will try to do justice to helping memorialize someone who shared this special sport with us.:)

I have one of his eartha marbles that he dropped in a geocache and would be pleased to bring it on Sunday to help to memorialize this great cacher. I will hold it in my hand during the event, so please come to me and ask to see it. As you take the marble in your hand, think about Aaron and his life here on this Earth, and also his contribution to our community. Your tribute to him can be unspoken or maybe we can have a special place for thoughts. After the event, we will find a special way to pay our respects and send tribute by releasing this marble.

hollora
01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
I have one of his eartha marbles that he dropped in a geocache and would be pleased to bring it on Sunday to help to memorialize this great cacher. I will hold it in my hand during the event, so please come to me and ask to see it. As you take the marble in your hand, think about Aaron and his life here on this Earth, and also his contribution to our community. Your tribute to him can be unspoken or maybe we can have a special place for thoughts. After the event, we will find a special way to pay our respects and send tribute by releasing this marble.

Thanks CM:)

EMSDanel
01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi folks.... If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he was a dispatcher at Calais P.D. and worked in the same building where the ambulances are staged. I'd only seen him once and had no idea he was a fellow cacher.... wow.

d’76
01-25-2008, 06:33 PM
After reading the article in todays bdn I hope they give the murderer the needle. As I shake my head reading the article, I cant help but think the kids saw this happen and what damage this has done to them.

Such a shame

Cache Maine
01-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi folks.... If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he was a dispatcher at Calais P.D. and worked in the same building where the ambulances are staged. I'd only seen him once and had no idea he was a fellow cacher.... wow.

That's the same guy....sad for everyone involved.

kymeejay
01-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Having been taken on my first geocache in 2002 with Aefuss I want you all to know how much he loved it. Over the years we found quite a few together. It was never as much fun to do it without him. It was always a bit of a competition to see who find the cache first. I was touched to read all the postings and I think it would have meant a lot to him. Any trip he took he managed to find a few caches. He made special trips to the Delorme store to buy the Eartha marbles as he wanted to place something that was unique. He got many other people involved in caching as it was something he truly enjoyed. Camera, cache, kayak...these are the things he truly enjoyed doing. He was truly a 'good person'. It makes me very sad to think he was touched by evil. He will be remembered and missed.

Kymeejay

Medawisla
01-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Having been taken on my first geocache in 2002 with Aefuss I want you all to know how much he loved it. Over the years we found quite a few together. It was never as much fun to do it without him. It was always a bit of a competition to see who find the cache first. I was touched to read all the postings and I think it would have meant a lot to him. Any trip he took he managed to find a few caches. He made special trips to the Delorme store to buy the Eartha marbles as he wanted to place something that was unique. He got many other people involved in caching as it was something he truly enjoyed. Camera, cache, kayak...these are the things he truly enjoyed doing. He was truly a 'good person'. It makes me very sad to think he was touched by evil. He will be remembered and missed.

Kymeejay

Thanks for posting Kymeejay. I hope you're able to remember the good times and continue caching. Here's to the people we meet and the places we go in the future!

al'Thor
01-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I did not know him either, but my heart goes out to his friends and family. It sounds like he was a great man and will be missed by many. I wish I had known him as we both were geocachers in public safety living in Washington County. He actually posted a note on my cache on January 11th. He tried to make it into the cache but there was to much snow.

The suspect involved in the shooting was caught only a few hundred yards away from my house in Machias and is currently being held in the jail in which I work. When I heard that Aaron was a involved in law enforcement and was a geocacher it really hit home. Very scary stuff!!

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

mipster
01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
My name is Mipster. Aaron was one of my very closest friends. I am now able to talk about him without falling apart. For anyone who did not have the pleasure of knowing Aefuss this is a straight forward explanation. He was an angel on Earth & is now an angel in heaven watching over us. Aaron was a helper. Not just at his job as a dispatcher but also outside of work. He would drop everything to help anyone. He even helped me when he was kayaking in the ocean (by cell phone), which he loved. He also loved geocaching, Jeeping & getting dirty, and camping. He was one of the best people I've ever met & now he is a great loss in many peoples lives. Please DO NOT believe everything that you read in the paper or hear on the news. His murderer is just trying to make people feel bad for him & get a lighter sentence. Aaron was in love with Eebee (a geocacher from St. John). They were planning their lives together with a wedding in the very near future. That no good of a human took all of that away from her. Her suffering is so great right now. We need to be the voice for Aaron since he can't speak for himself. That evil "man" needs to rot in hell for an action that should not have happened. Aaron WAS NOT having sex with that girl. He went to help her get out of a bad situation & got caught in one himself. I hope this pain we feel will fade in time because right now it's even hard to breathe. I beg you, please, when you hear someone talk about Aaron make sure they know that he was an angel on a mission to help someone in need. Thank you.

mipster
01-27-2008, 12:16 AM
This is Mipster again. I forgot to mention. WACO Wranglers, which is a Jeep group that Aefuss started, will be taking over the Nash's Lake cache in Calais. We also have plans to put out more in memory of our beautiful friend. It will just take us time to feel up to doing this, after we can greive. Thanks for understanding.

Mainiac1957
01-27-2008, 07:32 AM
This is Mipster again. I forgot to mention. WACO Wranglers, which is a Jeep group that Aefuss started, will be taking over the Nash's Lake cache in Calais. We also have plans to put out more in memory of our beautiful friend. It will just take us time to feel up to doing this, after we can greive. Thanks for understanding.

My name is Mipster. Aaron was one of my very closest friends. I am now able to talk about him without falling apart. For anyone who did not have the pleasure of knowing Aefuss this is a straight forward explanation. He was an angel on Earth & is now an angel in heaven watching over us. Aaron was a helper. Not just at his job as a dispatcher but also outside of work. He would drop everything to help anyone. He even helped me when he was kayaking in the ocean (by cell phone), which he loved. He also loved geocaching, Jeeping & getting dirty, and camping. He was one of the best people I've ever met & now he is a great loss in many peoples lives. Please DO NOT believe everything that you read in the paper or hear on the news. His murderer is just trying to make people feel bad for him & get a lighter sentence. Aaron was in love with Eebee (a geocacher from St. John). They were planning their lives together with a wedding in the very near future. That no good of a human took all of that away from her. Her suffering is so great right now. We need to be the voice for Aaron since he can't speak for himself. That evil "man" needs to rot in hell for an action that should not have happened. Aaron WAS NOT having sex with that girl. He went to help her get out of a bad situation & got caught in one himself. I hope this pain we feel will fade in time because right now it's even hard to breathe. I beg you, please, when you hear someone talk about Aaron make sure they know that he was an angel on a mission to help someone in need. Thank you.

You have re-enforced what most of us suspected. Glad you were able to talk about Aaron publicly. Sometimes that helps. I hope it did for you.

brdad
01-27-2008, 07:37 AM

It's great to hear that the cache will be maintained by people who knew him well. It's also great that the power of the web brought some of his friends who knew him well here to join us.

Welcome to Geocachingmaine.org, stay in touch. We can't replace Aefuss, but a few new friends never hurt.

Medawisla
01-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Gob-ler put together a nice tribute to Aefuss...:)I wonder if he can post the file he shared at Celebrate 2007 Event...?:confused:

d’76
01-27-2008, 09:01 PM
If I remember correctly it was here and you need to scroll down to the bottom, it was called the dash
http://www.walkthetalk.com/pages/inspirational-movies.htm

Thanks Gob-ler, I think you did a great job

shayshay
01-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I have been reading the comments on Aaron and the loss of his life. Having worked as a voluteer at the local Domestic Violence Project in Ellsworth for nine years before taking a break, I would like to say that domestic violence is the scourge of the state of Maine and other states. In Maine over 50% of the murders are related to domestic violence, this makes us one of the highest in the nation considering our population. The loss of a fellow cacher just brings this closer to home for all of us. I never knew him but I know the pain of this type of loss. The only way we can stop this scourge is to help in some way. Some of the ways you can help is attending fund raiser for your local Domestic Violence Project, donate diapers, small toys, toilet articles, phone cards, gas cards, gift certificates to McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King. I know that some make think that these aren't very healthy places to eat, but it is free to them and sometimes this may be the only food they have had to eat in several days. Many times the Mom and children have to leave in such a hurry all they have is the clothes on their backs. To stop this terrible terrible scourge we all have a responsibility to help. If any of you have any questions please feel free to contact Becket or myself. I met Becket when I was a volunteer at my local Domestic Violence Project. We feel very strongly about stopping DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, ( I put this in capital letters to indicate how large this problem is). This senseless loss of life caused by a selfish man whose thought and revenge were in his head and not in reality can never fully be explained. Reading about this and seeing this on the news has greatly angered me. Becket and I have heard many horror stories in our years of working in Domestic Violence, for me this was right up there with the worst. The loss of life in two families and children without a Mother and if Aaron was a father is so wrong. My thoughts and prayers are with those who knew these two people. Anything any of you do can be done in memory of Aefuss, a fellow cacher. Thank you for letting me voice how I feel about what happened and please do what you can to end this blight on our society.

Cache Maine
01-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Here is a direct link to the movie that was shown today at the event.....

http://www.dashpoemmovie.com/ (http://www.dashpoemmovie.com/)

hollora
01-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Here is a direct link to the movie that was shown today at the event.....

http://www.dashpoemmovie.com/ (http://www.dashpoemmovie.com/)

Thank you for adding that link. Also, TAT specifically went to, I think it was Spruce Run, and there were little purple ribbon pins and booklets on Domestic Violence for folks to take from the event. I saw people wearing the ribbons.

From a post in the National Forums, I believe the WaCoRanglers who were all firends are planning to keep Aaron's memory alive with his caches and TBs.

Shayshay & Becket you are so right - we must put an end to this horrid problem in our state and assist those who are caught on the merry-go-round of abuse. Aaron, it sounds like was trying to do just that.

Watch - The Dash - it says things well.

darterkitfox
01-28-2008, 09:58 AM
We feel very strongly about stopping DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, ( I put this in capital letters to indicate how large this problem is).

I can understand your position but I worked 7 years at the Oxford County Jail and saw some ridiculous stuff. One man was brought in on a domestic assault charge for splashing his wife with a glass of water. He gets a record, can't return to his house for maybe a month until court, has financial difficulties because he has no place to stay but a motel, possibly loses a job because of the record, and his wife has probably done the same thing to him in the past but he was mature enough not to report something so trivial. Domestic violence is bad, but gimmee a break. Petty is petty.

shayshay
01-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I am not getting into a big conversation with the last post cocerning DV, but this incident you talk about didn't result in the death of two people, children losing their parents. Unfortunately sometimes the innocent get treated badly. I find it rather strange that you didn't mention other forms of dv you might have seen in working in the jail. There is no comparing the two incidents. As I said I will not comment again on this type of post. Negativety towards DV doesn't do anything to stop senseless killings of the victims.

Gob-ler
01-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Some of what I said was not in my notes, but here is what was in my notes.

Why do bad things happen to good people? It is an age old question for which there really is no acceptable answer.

We have a little glimpse into the life of Aefuss by the logs he left as he geocached. Here is his first log:

July 1, 2002 by Aefuss – Gleasons Cove – GC67BA

First find with GPS. Was on my way to work and gave it a shot. One of my favorite spots, go there often. Was very foggy today, still took some pics though . I hope to stash some caches myself in the area
Just as I found the cache my batteries went dead, so I swapped my travel clock for some fresh batteries... Thanks.
Left the area around 3:30 pm...off to work
One of his last logs, his 400th find:

December 16, 2007 by Aefuss – Cobscook Reversing Falls – GC17X1G

Well I must confess, this turned into an adventure with eebee. We started off for this during the second good snow storm of the season! We figured we could get pretty close to the needed location with eebee's new Jeep Liberty. That was not the case, we got about .25 of a mile and the plowed road ended. So we pushed on only till we were just under .20 of a mile. From there we hiked. And what a hike it turned into... The wind was blowing pretty good, it looked like the snow was actually flying from in front of us. Using my new Xmas present (Delorme PN-20 GPS) we continued our trek down to the shore. Well, sadly, I had not realized that it was near high tide when we left for this one, so the picture of the falls is pretty boring. We arrived about (15:00 hrs) 30 minutes before high tide. You could make out the currents entering the bay, though nothing of the roaring waters or the wild confused rapids I have witnessed many times before. As the crow flies I live only 6 miles away. I have kayaked the northern side (Cobscook Bay) of this area many times. Though I have never been crazy enough to run the falls. This will be a special find for me, both for the hike in the snow storm, and the fact this is my 400th find! So the included pictures will show all, what the falls look like near full tide in a snow storm in December. Thanks for the adventure and lesson! Aefuss - Eastport, ME

Some verses to consider:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die;
A time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
A time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to seek, and a time to lose;
A time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew;
A time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to Love . . . . .Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Life is brief at its longest - As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field; for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more – Psalm 103:15-16

Teach us to number our days – Psalm 90:12

Quality of life is more important than quantity. “How” one lives is more important than “How Long”.

We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not breaths;
In feelings, not in figures on a dial.
We should count time by heart-throbs. He most lives
Who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best.

The best thing any one of us can do before this day is out is stop and think of those we cherish the most and determine that we will seek those people out and tell them how much we love them.

You never know which day might be your last so choose to live one day at a time as if it were the last day you would ever have.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Haffy
01-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Here in Lancaster my sister works closely with the local domestic violence shelter within the church that we attend. On a couple of occasions I have gone with her to deliver needed goods,furniture,etc,etc. We have to drive up to a private gate and it' s monitored so that no one can enter unless they know you and the gate is opened from the inside. She has many stories she has told me about the women and children she has befriended since she started donating her time to the cause. It is truely a shame that things like this happen but it's people like Becket ,ShayShay and my sister who make the lives of these unfortunate people a little easier to bear. Thanks to those who put in that extra effort to make their lives a little better.

mipster
01-28-2008, 09:56 PM
The Memorial Service for Aaron (Aefuss) will be Sunday Feb. 3rd at 2:00 Pm at the Second Baptist Church in Calais on Church St. Church St. is behind the post office between Washington St & Main St. For anyone close enough to come it would be great to have you. He loved this hobby so much & always looked forward to getting the next find. His goal was to reach 500 by July. If you see his name posted eebee will be keep up the count for Aefuss. His spirit will be with us as we continue in his memory. So don't be shocked when you see his name logged. We are going to help him reach his goal! Please join us in remembering Aaron on Sunday, even if you can not make it. Thanks for all your kind words during this tragic time.
Melissa (Mipster)

Davidson 7
01-30-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm the mom in the crew of Davidson 7, Mary. It has taken me a few days before I could stop in here and read and post. I know you all understand.

Mipster called me yesterday very happy that four of you are planning to attend the memorial on Sunday, and I am in complete agreement with her in that it will be so very wonderful to meet you and have you there! Aefuss had been after me to go geocaching with him for a long time before I actually went. It sounded great, but it was something I just didn't make time to do. I don't need to explain to any of you that feeling that hooks you after the very first cache, I'm sure! I have had such a great time doing this, and I'm so glad that Aefuss brought it to me, as he did for so many others as well. What I didn't realize though, was how fantastic and supportive you would all be with this loss of our dear friend. I can't tell you enough how much your caring and attention to this has meant. Thank you for touching our hearts! I've gotten emails from some of you, and I'm sorry that I haven't been able to write back to each of you. There are many circumstances surrounding arrangements that have been complicated, and it's been consuming us. Aefuss unfortunately died without a will, and while his closest family members (cousins) and friends know his wishes, he was very clear, we're not sure that they will be realized. The memorial service on Sunday is especially important because of this-we know he wanted one, and we know he would not want us to be miserable while we're there! We're so thankful for all of you too. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel, to speak at the caching event, for beginning this thread, and for planning the trip on Sunday. It means so much to us, and Aefuss is loving it!! :)

Team Ducky
01-30-2008, 12:40 PM
So sad, I just read through the 5 pages of posts and looked at the GC page and some logs. You can get a sense that he was great guy, so sad this happened to him.

Cache Maine
01-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for your note Mary....thanks for coming here and posting.

Just a quick update on the marble....it will be going to Calais on Sunday and will be given to a cacher by the name of eebee. She loved caching with Aefuss.

We are also working to find a green jeep geocoin that we can activate and send out into the world in Aaron's honor. I think it would be fitting for the coin to start it's journey this weekend...in Calais if possible.

hollora
02-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Just an update to this thread. Cache Maine, EMSDanel, Risteen and I traveled to Calais today to attend the Celebration of Aefuss' life. It was unbelievable the many unique individuals who were there. Family, friends, law enforcement, geocachers, children - all there for their own unique reasons and connections with this man. Lost, long before his time.

We were all honored and proud to attend and show Geocachers really care. I, for one, believe the Geocachers in Washington county were very happy we attended.

Cache Maine was able to give the Eartha Marble, passed around at Kayaking Karen's event, into eebee's hands with a hug and eebee will have it to do with as she wishes. She is a delightful young lady who we all need to support.

I had a green jeep coin and have activated it and named it Aefuss' Jeep - this will hopefully travel within Maine and New Brunswick Canada to caches - spreading the word about Domestic Abuse and Violence.

One thing we all brought home = No matter how young or old, no matter what your financial situation, no matter what your relationships, no matter what = make sure you have a written, notaried, will in place! Death does not wait for age, it usually gives you little to know warning, and without a will = not only do folks know know your wishes - even if some do - they can not be excercised if your legal next of kin has other ideas. Sad but true.

One thing I brought home - whenever I see a bonfire or campfire, I will always see the beautiful memories shared by so many people at this memorial. A bonfire or campfire is good for the soul..........and Geocachers - if you will, as this year goes on - think of Aefuss around that fire, how much life should be enjoyed and what friends and family should really mean.

Thanks to all for all the thoughts and prayers which I know were said. The group which traveled East today were all proud to represent the Geocaching group to those in Washington County. EMSDanel did speak and did a wonderful job.

Today is the present and present it to everyone you care about love and adore - tell them what they mean to you!

Cache Maine
02-04-2008, 03:54 PM
http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/data/500/thumbs/earth.jpg (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2397)

"See you on the beach."

EMSDanel
02-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I was fortunate enough to travel to Calais with Hollora, Cache Maine, and Risteen to yesterday's Memorial Celebration for Aefuss. We met a wonderful group of people who had shared life with Aefuss and who touchingly described the man that he was. The words and pictures left no doubt that Aaron loved the outdoors and he had the opportunity to share that with his friends and loved ones. I'm so glad we had the chance to meet. I now want to leave you all with a final thought:

As geocachers we set a goal to go out and find something special. When we find that cache we enjoy it for a few moments and then make a log entry...we make our mark...to let others know, and never forget, that we have been there. As I was standing in front of the group at the memorial service it occurred to me that Aaron had, indeed, enjoyed his life and had plotted in the ultimate waypoint...he has now found those exact coordinates...and the log he leaves behind are the people who were at that service. The friends and loved ones that he cared so much about are...and always will be...the proof that he has been here. Truly.

catmandu
02-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Hello,
I'm known as catmandu, mipster's husband. I must say that it was very nice and touching that some fellow geocachers were able to pay aaron(aefuss) respects yesterday. Very nice to have met you guys, I hope we will see each other at a cache. Aaron influenced mipster and I with the geocahing. For myself it was more for the ride in the jeeps to the spot and seeing the places that we normally wouldn't go see.
For anyone interested here is a link to Aaron's online photo album. I don't know how long it will be active, we are going to down load the pics to have and may put up our own. http://picasaweb.google.com/aefuss (http://picasaweb.google.com/aefuss)
As you can see so much of it is geocaching, jeeps, and kayaking(later pics w/eebee). Thanks again for all your kind words.
On a side note, the jeep coin that hollora was talking about is very close to what aarons jeep looked like. His was green, had stikers on the back and at times he put his rack on it and when he did there were lights on the rack just like the coin. Very appropriate. Thanks again.

catmandu
02-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh I forgot, does any one know how we can send a donation to geocaching maine in honor of aefuss? please email to gefmel@juno.com.
THANKS!

Team2hunt
02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks for posting and sharing your link to Aefuss's pics. You can see he loved being in the great outdoors. I will be visiting the area during the long Memorial Day weekend. I'll be sure to come and visit the caches so close to his home.

Medawisla
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh I forgot, does any one know how we can send a donation to geocaching maine in honor of aefuss? please email to gefmel@juno.com.
THANKS!

I also want to say thanks for geocaching friends and all friends we make during our lives. I hope we remember to tell others how much we care.

Catmandu, if you are not already a donating member, it may be easiest to use the donation box on the home page, top right. If you are, you don't see this box. Sometimes members of our board are a little slow in responding, but I hope they get back to you to honor your request, because I know we'd be honored! I hope you find this site to be a continual source of support and fun in the future!:)

catmandu
02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
There was a collection taken up at my work and they need to write a check. trying to find out how to make it out and who I could send it to.
Thanks for the response!

Cache Maine
02-04-2008, 10:06 PM
There was a collection taken up at my work and they need to write a check. trying to find out how to make it out and who I could send it to.
Thanks for the response!

I'll email you directly. Thanks!

mipster
02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
A million hugs to everyone! Your support throught one of the roughest times ever has made a huge difference to us. Thank you so very much!

eebee
02-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Hello, my name is eebee and I am Aaron's girlfriend. Although I read everyone's posts here in the days following his death and after his memorial service, it has taken me some time to get back here. I just wanted to say 'thank you' from the bottom of my heart for all of your kind words. It has made an unbearable time just a bit easier knowing that people know what a truly special person Aaron was.

EMSDanel, Risteen, Cache Maine and hollora, it was a great pleasure to meet you at the memorial service and thank you so much for making the trip. It was an unforgettable gesture and we all appreciated it so much. I am keeping the Eartha marble safe and haven't decided yet quite what I am going to do with it, but it will definitely be something to honour Aaron's memory.

Aaron brought geocaching into my life on the very first day we met. I think we found 8 caches that first day and I was hooked, and not just on him :D After that, we spent countless hours on the hunt. Aaron loved technology, so, unfortunately, I left most of the gadgetry and planning up to him. I am anxious to get back to the hunt but it is going to take me some time to get up to speed. I should have a new GPS very soon and will then be trying to figure everything else out!

Thank you all and God bless,

eebee

Cache Maine
02-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Welcome to geocachingmaine.org eebee....we are glad you are here. You guys are just wonderful and we can't wait to see you all again. :)

firefighterjake
02-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Hello, my name is eebee and I am Aaron's girlfriend. Although I read everyone's posts here in the days following his death and after his memorial service, it has taken me some time to get back here. I just wanted to say 'thank you' from the bottom of my heart for all of your kind words. It has made an unbearable time just a bit easier knowing that people know what a truly special person Aaron was.

EMSDanel, Risteen, Cache Maine and hollora, it was a great pleasure to meet you at the memorial service and thank you so much for making the trip. It was an unforgettable gesture and we all appreciated it so much. I am keeping the Eartha marble safe and haven't decided yet quite what I am going to do with it, but it will definitely be something to honour Aaron's memory.

Aaron brought geocaching into my life on the very first day we met. I think we found 8 caches that first day and I was hooked, and not just on him :D After that, we spent countless hours on the hunt. Aaron loved technology, so, unfortunately, I left most of the gadgetry and planning up to him. I am anxious to get back to the hunt but it is going to take me some time to get up to speed. I should have a new GPS very soon and will then be trying to figure everything else out!

Thank you all and God bless,

eebee

You're in my thoughts and prayers . . . seeing all the pics of you two at his gc.com site made it obvious that Aaron truly loved life and was deeply in love with you . . . I truly am sorry for your's . . . well actually, the world's . . . loss. Many of us will be thinking of you.

hollora
02-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Welcome to geocachingmaine.org eebee....we are glad you are here. You guys are just wonderful and we can't wait to see you all again. :)

Yes, glad you have joined us. Looking forward to meeting again as an echo to Cache Maine.:)

Medawisla
02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for posting! Hope to see you on the trail! Good luck in future adventures! :)