View Full Version : Celestial Event

Medawisla
01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Beautiful morning on Monday, February 4th. Venus and Jupiter will be unusally close together with a cresent moon hanging below creating a brilliant triangle in the southeastern sky.

"On the following morning, Monday, Feb. 4, the show will reach its peak when, about 45 minutes before sunrise, Venus, Jupiter and the moon — the three brightest objects of the night sky — will form a striking isosceles triangle, with the two planets 3 degrees apart and the moon marking the vertex of the triangle just over 5 degrees below the 'dynamic duo.'"

FuddsGirls
01-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Very cool, thanks. My 3rd grader is studying the planets and moon right now so I'll have to make sure she is up for that.

darterkitfox
01-28-2008, 09:46 AM
My experience has found that whenever something like this is mentioned in print, it ends up cloudy at the exact time it takes place. I'll check it out anyway. My wife and I like this type of stuff. A couple weeks ago we snowmobiled out to a pipeline and just laid in the trail watching stars.

Foxgloves
01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Beautiful morning on Monday, February 4th. ....

"On the following morning, Monday, Feb. 4, the show will reach its peak when, about 45 minutes before sunrise, Venus, Jupiter and the moon the three brightest objects of the night sky will form a striking isosceles triangle, with the two planets 3 degrees apart and the moon marking the vertex of the triangle just over 5 degrees below the 'dynamic duo.'"

Perfect timing...the morning after the Patriots win the Superbowl...;);)

Starzz
01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
My experience has found that whenever something like this is mentioned in print, it ends up cloudy at the exact time it takes place.

You got that right! LOL

Thanks for letting us know Steph! :D

Medawisla
01-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I might try to be at the 2-cent bridge in Waterville/Winslow to see it that morning.:cool: Feel free to join me, and get the cache (GCTHQ7) on the bridge if you haven't yet. :D

Starzz
01-31-2008, 07:00 PM
http://spaceweather.com/

MORNING SKY ALERT: Set your alarm for dawn. On Friday morning, February 1st, Venus and Jupiter converge in the southeastern sky less than 1 degree apart. It's a spectacular view worth waking up early to see.

Medawisla
01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
http://spaceweather.com/

MORNING SKY ALERT: Set your alarm for dawn. On Friday morning, February 1st, Venus and Jupiter converge in the southeastern sky less than 1 degree apart. It's a spectacular view worth waking up early to see.

This is not the same event, but on that preceeds it. February 1st will be a point when Venus and Jupiter are the closest together (just 1 degree apart) and then they will separate again until on February 4th they will be two corners of a triangle formed with the moon between the two planets.

Enjoy both events!! :D:cool:

Kaching Karen
02-04-2008, 08:01 AM
It was too cloudy in Augusta to see anything today. :confused:
I was up on time and off to the gym.

darterkitfox
02-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Same here in Norway but then I knew it would be cloudy. Everytime that the space shuttle goes over, a big meteor shower is predicted, or any celestial event happens, it is cloudy over Norway. If our sun exploded, I wouldn't see it until the blast hit our atmosphere and ripped the clouds away. Of course then I wouldn't really care.

kayakerinme
02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
I was up early on Saturday, 2/2, heading down the Maine Turnpike on the way to Cape Cod. I left before dawn. As I made my way towards Exit 19? (used to be 3, Kennebunk) the sun started to come up and the two planets were just sitting side by side low in the sky. The moon was off to the right and higher than the two planets. Venus was particularly large and brilliant. Jupiter was also brilliant, though not as large.

It would have been cool to see the moon above them instead... but today was too cloudy :(

I imagine the next time thse objects all line up like this will be sometime in our grandchildren's future?

Medawisla
02-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I was up early on Saturday, 2/2, heading down the Maine Turnpike on the way to Cape Cod. I left before dawn. As I made my way towards Exit 19? (used to be 3, Kennebunk) the sun started to come up and the two planets were just sitting side by side low in the sky. The moon was off to the right and higher than the two planets. Venus was particularly large and brilliant. Jupiter was also brilliant, though not as large.

It would have been cool to see the moon above them instead... but today was too cloudy :(

I imagine the next time thse objects all line up like this will be sometime in our grandchildren's future?

Cloudy it was:(, but it'll happen again in Fall I think, read the links that started this thread. Then it'll occur in Spring in 2012.:cool:

Medawisla
02-10-2008, 03:07 PM
On February 20th starting at 10pm, a full eclipse of the moon will occur, and a bright star and Saturn will also help create a beautiful night sky.:)

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/080207-lunar-eclipse.html

darterkitfox
02-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the weather report Medawisla. Now I know over a week in advance that it will be cloudy and snowy on the 20th and can make plans accordingly.

Starzz
02-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Don't forget the eclipse tonight!!

Here is some info on it:

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=6613

Starzz
02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
its been sunny all day here and just as soon as the sun set...... here comes the clouds!! :( :mad: I hope they are gone in a few hours!

hollora
02-20-2008, 10:37 PM
It's really pretty to watch here - I am trying to take photos. Tried to upload one too.

hollora
02-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Don't forget the eclipse tonight!!

Here is some info on it:

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=6613

Starzz - thanks for that link. I didn't know about finding Saturn - very cool!

Mainiac1957
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
It is fantastic here in Brewer as well. Last one for another two years.

Hiram357
02-20-2008, 11:21 PM
i can't feel my ears... shoulda worna hat... moon, red... cold...

Starzz
02-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Only thing got cold on me, was my face! I had fleece lined pants on, tshirt, hooded sweat shirt, a jacket, boots, 2 pairs of gloves and a hat! :)

Hiram357
02-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Only thing got cold on me, was my face! I had fleece lined pants on, tshirt, hooded sweat shirt, a jacket, boots, 2 pairs of gloves and a hat! :)

uhh... yeah... i had a shirt, a jacket, and a baseball cap, we were out for about 1/2hr (heh, it wasn't the cold, it was the wind!) :D

hollora
02-21-2008, 07:46 AM
It was a great time to enjoy the hot tub on the back deck.:D

Hiram357
02-21-2008, 08:47 AM
It was a great time to enjoy the hot tub on the back deck.:D

yeah! thanks for inviting us... :p:rolleyes:;):D

Starzz
02-21-2008, 09:23 AM
yeah.. what hiram said! :p

firefighterjake
02-21-2008, 11:24 AM
yeah! thanks for inviting us... :p:rolleyes:;):D

Well I've invited you guys in the past and you opted not to dive in . . . was it the "bathing suits are optional" statement! ;):D

Hiram357
02-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Well I've invited you guys in the past and you opted not to dive in . . . was it the "bathing suits are optional" statement! ;):D

lol yeah, the optional part is what turned us off... we almost called ya last night to see if ya wanted to do UHOP and then freeze your a... i mean watch the moon... but stef forgot her purse that had her phone in it, so as our travels around waterville ended around 9 she relized the phone was in her pocket... So we just walked down to the bridge to watch it. :D

Team Richards
02-21-2008, 08:51 PM
This was pretty cool I got a great picturefile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/David/Desktop/100_0425.jpg:D

Hiram357
02-21-2008, 11:24 PM
This was pretty cool I got a great picturefile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/David/Desktop/100_0425.jpg:D

DUDE!! YOU HAVE THE SAME CAMERA I DO!! I WOULD KNOW THAT LENS COVER ANYWHERE!!!! :D:p;)

hollora
02-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Here is a color photo before everything started to change again. The other photo was B&W. I, too, had my share of black photos.:)

Medawisla
02-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the picture posts Hollora!!:D It was great fun freezing and starring at the sky. The stars were so bright, I even saw the seven sisters! in Waterville!!:eek::D:cool:
Sorry, FFJ, we really shoulda planned better...maybe next time...;)

darterkitfox
02-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Well just like all the other celestial events, I knew the weather would ruin this one. At the exact time the eclipse was about to start, a crescent shaped cloud slowly crept over the moon. You could still see a reddish colored moon under the hazy cloud but it hung there for awhile. After awhile, the crescent shaped cloud slowly moved off the moon from the opposite side but wouldn't you know it, it was at the exact moment that the eclipse was supposed to end. I guess I'm just destined to not see these things.

firefighterjake
02-22-2008, 09:03 AM
lol yeah, the optional part is what turned us off... we almost called ya last night to see if ya wanted to do UHOP and then freeze your a... i mean watch the moon... but stef forgot her purse that had her phone in it, so as our travels around waterville ended around 9 she relized the phone was in her pocket... So we just walked down to the bridge to watch it. :D

Well if you had come over we could have shared some pizza with you . . . Heidi made her famous pepperoni stuffed crust pizza . . . and you could have watched a moon . . . just not the one that was being eclipsed. ;):D

Kaching Karen
02-22-2008, 08:00 PM
We had a total eclipse here in Guaetemala. Anne and I argued about whether or not there was a full moon or not. We were staring at it for a minute, went to our rooms... duh....
It will be nice to get in touch with the world again. See you all soon! Home on Sunday.

Team Richards
02-22-2008, 09:15 PM
See no matter where you are in the world you see the same moon...Well, as long as you are looking up.