View Full Version : 2008 Maine Pirate Quest

hollora
02-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Ahoy all ye readers:

Buchaneers Cache Maine and hollora are readyin the deck o’ their ship for another Quest her’a in Maine. The Jolly Rogers will be out an’ dubloons will be in the sacks. There will be fun for all at tha 2nd Annual Event here in Maine. Now some of the attendees will be Sprogs but surly seasoned mates wil’ be on hand and on the planks o’ the deck.

We be askin’ for help with trinkets to keep this crew appeased so they won’t be stealin’ the ship. Anythin’ in your bucket o’ booty ya might be sendin’ our way – would help keep these hoodlims in bay. They all be bringin’ their own food and the grog is already squeezed n’ seasonin’ (it bein’ family fare ya know).

We be needin’ th' goods before the Quest. The hol' o' the ship needs packin' befor' th' buckaneers arriv. If you be a matey to help, use tha new wire, shoot a line to ralphh(at)maine.edu . Aye, even the smallest, wee bit o’plundered loot will be a helpin’ pull this off.

Ya, all be blessed and not be seein’ Fiddler’s Green or visitin’ Davy Jones Locker soon.

Cache Maine and hollora
http://www.mainepiratequest.com

Hiram357
02-06-2008, 07:09 PM
ummm, ok,(had to read this post a few times over...) arg... so you be looking for doorprizes and arg things arg? :confused: why couldn't ya arg just arg say so arg??? :D

Mainiac1957
02-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Ahoy all ye readers:

Buchaneers Cache Maine and hollora are readyin the deck o’ their ship for another Quest her’a in Maine. The Jolly Rogers will be out an’ dubloons will be in the sacks. There will be fun for all at tha 2nd Annual Event here in Maine. Now some of the attendees will be Sprogs but surly seasoned mates wil’ be on hand and on the planks o’ the deck.

We be askin’ for help with trinkets to keep this crew appeased so they won’t be stealin’ the ship. Anythin’ in your bucket o’ booty ya might be sendin’ our way – would help keep these hoodlims in bay. They all be bringin’ their own food and the grog is already squeezed n’ seasonin’ (it bein’ family fare ya know).

We be needin’ th' goods before the Quest. The hol' o' the ship needs packin' befor' th' buckaneers arriv. If you be a matey to help, use tha new wire, shoot a line to ralphh(at)maine.edu . Aye, even the smallest, wee bit o’plundered loot will be a helpin’ pull this off.

Ya, all be blessed and not be seein’ Fiddler’s Green or visitin’ Davy Jones Locker soon.

Cache Maine and hollora
http://www.mainepiratequest.com

ummm, ok,(had to read this post a few times over...) arg... so you be looking for doorprizes and arg things arg? :confused: why couldn't ya arg just arg say so arg??? :D

Just what the heck did you two just say:D:p:rolleyes:

hollora
02-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Caus - it be a pirate thing arghhhh - ye' be righ' in wha' we be wantn' for th' unda the deck............

We be liftin' a grog for ya.......

hollora
02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Betcha get tha grog part LOL - only Parrot juice the day of the event - ther' be young'ins ya' know...........

Mainiac1957
02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Whose parrot do ye be squozin to get da parrot juice. :rolleyes::eek::p

hollora
02-06-2008, 08:12 PM
We be catchin' one between now n' then' ;):eek:;)

Medawisla
02-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Whose parrot do ye be squozin to get da parrot juice. :rolleyes::eek::p

If de parrot from de auction last year ain't dead yet, Hiram's got a black crow! arg!:p

Hiram357
02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Caus - it be a pirate thing arghhhh - ye' be righ' in wha' we be wantn' for th' unda the deck............

We be liftin' a grog for ya.......

I hope arg youre not arg be arg wanting somethin under the arg poop deck arg!! :eek::D

Hiram357
02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Just what the heck did you two just say:D:p:rolleyes:

Brad... THEY NEED STUFF FOR THE EVENT TO GIVE AWAY... arg... :D

hollora
02-06-2008, 10:03 PM
PM sent via a parrot to tha' landlubba'

Hiram357
02-06-2008, 10:30 PM
If de parrot from de auction last year ain't dead yet, Hiram's got a black crow! arg!:p

youre not givin away my crow! :mad:

Medawisla
02-07-2008, 07:47 AM

but ye bird looks so juicey!!! arg!:p

Medawisla
02-07-2008, 07:49 AM
but ye bird looks so juicey!!! arg!:p

My last post looks really scarey now, because of my avatar...:eek::rolleyes:
For the record, I don't eat baby loons!!!:p

firefighterjake
02-07-2008, 09:54 AM

That's not true . . . the last time we got together at the Unity House of Pizza I swear I heard Medawisla ask the folks at the counter if she could have a loon pizza . . . I'm pretty sure Hiram would back me up on this one. ;):D

firefighterjake
02-07-2008, 09:54 AM

If you're like me I often end up eating crow when I get into debates with my wife. . . . ;):D

firefighterjake
02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Firefighterjake's translation for the pirate-speaking impaired.
-------------------------------

Greetings and salutations to our loyal geocachingmaine.org members.

Cachemaine and Hollora are in the initial stages of preparing for their upcoming Pirate Quest Event to be held here in Maine. They have some small gifts of goodwill to give out at this event. They fully expect geocachers who come to this 2nd Annual Event to have a fantastic time as they share in the comraderie of geocachers from all over Maine. They expect to see both geocachers who did not attend this event last year as well as geocachers who were able to make it to last year's event, but they do not expect to see Firefighterjake since they realize he does not generally make it out to geocaching events.

They are soliciting help . . . specifically asking for various trinkets which might be given out at this event. Geocachers planning on attending this event should realize that they are being asked to bring various foodstuffs, but it appears as though non-alcoholic beverages will be provided by the hosts due to the fact that children . . . and Hiram . . . will most likely be at this event and as you are well aware there are some things that are bad to combine such as oil and water, bleach and ammonia, Hiram and beer.

Cachemaine and Hollora are requesting that geocachers who are willing to donate any items contact them before the event since they would like to pack these donated items before the geocachers arrive to this gala event. If you are willing to donate anything, please contact them at ralphh@maine.edu. Any donation is appreciated, even inexpensive items . . . but if for some reason you have a small yacht that you would like to donate for this or future events please feel free to contact them as well.

Thank you to all who are considering a donation to this event . . . in the meantime they would advise you to not walk around downtown Bangor with an oar over your shoulder less you risk being Blue Papered or to go swimming in the Penobscot River since it is quite frigid . . . although to be truthful swimming in the Penobscot near Bangor is probably unwise anytime of the year.

Cachemate and Hollora

Hope this helps. :D:D:D

Hiram357
02-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Firefighterjake's translation for the pirate-speaking impaired.
-------------------------------

Greetings and salutations to our loyal geocachingmaine.org members.

Cachemaine and Hollora are in the initial stages of preparing for their upcoming Pirate Quest Event to be held here in Maine. They have some small gifts of goodwill to give out at this event. They fully expect geocachers who come to this 2nd Annual Event to have a fantastic time as they share in the comraderie of geocachers from all over Maine. They expect to see both geocachers who did not attend this event last year as well as geocachers who were able to make it to last year's event, but they do not expect to see Firefighterjake since they realize he does not generally make it out to geocaching events.

They are soliciting help . . . specifically asking for various trinkets which might be given out at this event. Geocachers planning on attending this event should realize that they are being asked to bring various foodstuffs, but it appears as though non-alcoholic beverages will be provided by the hosts due to the fact that children . . . and Hiram . . . will most likely be at this event and as you are well aware there are some things that are bad to combine such as oil and water, bleach and ammonia, Hiram and beer.

Cachemaine and Hollora are requesting that geocachers who are willing to donate any items contact them before the event since they would like to pack these donated items before the geocachers arrive to this gala event. If you are willing to donate anything, please contact them at ralphh@maine.edu. Any donation is appreciated, even inexpensive items . . . but if for some reason you have a small yacht that you would like to donate for this or future events please feel free to contact them as well.

Thank you to all who are considering a donation to this event . . . in the meantime they would advise you to not walk around downtown Bangor with an oar over your shoulder less you risk being Blue Papered or to go swimming in the Penobscot River since it is quite frigid . . . although to be truthful swimming in the Penobscot near Bangor is probably unwise anytime of the year.

Cachemate and Hollora

Hope this helps. :D:D:D

Nice arg translation, there jake arg!

All your arg base our belong to arg us! :D

d’76
02-07-2008, 06:59 PM

Dont sweat it Step, Baby loon is not as good a baby redtailed hawk but is much better then baby eagle.

Hiram357
02-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Dont sweat it Step, Baby loon is not as good a baby redtailed hawk but is much better then baby eagle.

I agree, loons are pretty greasy, but giant pandas do have a lot of meat on them... or if ya want somethin to last a while humpback whales have a lot of fryin materials...:rolleyes::D;):p

d’76
02-07-2008, 08:14 PM
I agree, loons are pretty greasy, but giant pandas do have a lot of meat on them... or if ya want somethin to last a while humpback whales have a lot of fryin materials...:rolleyes::D;):p

Depends on how you cook them. I perfer on the grill with a lemon twist.

On a serious note. I caught a loon one time fishing live bait off the bottom out to Chemo Pond. It was a great fight. I wanted to have it mounted but the ex wife made me let it go.:o

Medawisla
02-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Depends on how you cook them. I perfer on the grill with a lemon twist.

On a serious note. I caught a loon one time fishing live bait off the bottom out to Chemo Pond. It was a great fight. I wanted to have it mounted but the ex wife made me let it go.:o

Wow, that's pretty amazing! :eek:
It reminds me that we should use lead sinkers, because the loons eat them and then die.:(

d’76
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow, that's pretty amazing! :eek:
It reminds me that we should use lead sinkers, because the loons eat them and then die.:(

We should use them???

I will go to wally world tomorrow and replace the tin ones with lead. Thanks Steph. I thought I had it all wrong:rolleyes:

Medawisla
02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
We should use them???

I will go to wally world tomorrow and replace the tin ones with lead. Thanks Steph. I thought I had it all wrong:rolleyes:

Oh don't be a poo head...I meant should NOT! sigh:rolleyes:

Cache Maine
02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Now back to what this thread is really about....

We need stuff for the Pirate Auction....only YOU can help us make this the best Pirate auction ever!!!

Mainiac1957
02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Let's see if we can find a place that serves Baby Loon Omelet of the day!! Made with Dodo eggs of course!!:rolleyes::D:p;)

Hiram357
02-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Let's see if we can find a place that serves Baby Loon Omelet of the day!! Made with Dodo eggs of course!!:rolleyes::D:p;)

BRAD!! ON TOPIC DARNIT!!! ARG PIRATE STUFF ARG!!! :p:p:p:D

hollora
02-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Thank you to Team Richards and kacky who were both able to successfully translate Pirate language. We appreciate your positive response!

Looking forward to seeing many folks there. Questions about the event - please PM either hollora or Cache Maine.

Medawisla
02-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Thank you to Team Richards and kacky who were both able to successfully translate Pirate language. We appreciate your positive response!

Looking forward to seeing many folks there. Questions about the event - please PM either hollora or Cache Maine.

I also liked FFJ's translation! :p
I hope we'll be able to help out, but we won't be able to get much until March, we'll keep you posted! :cool:

hollora
02-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Just make a delicious pot luck dish and hope to win the Galley contest - it's by popular vote and you can run around soliciting votes too. Or maybe a costume would be fun for you, too.

If ya' can't put in the load for the booty - it be ok - just come join the crew and have a wonderful time. We want ya' all to hav' a good ole' time!

EMSDanel
02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
An unactivated geocoin is coming your way to add to the loot.....!

hollora
02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Thank you Dan!

dubord207
02-18-2008, 02:47 PM
As Hollara noted, I placed Pirate#1, Piartes of Harriaman IV in GCYYM8, Hummingbird Family Photo Cache which is located in China Village. The cache is snow friendly but still a noteworthy challenge. Don't think I'll be a Big'G's next week so somebody ought to seek out this rather cool coin.

hollora
02-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi dubord207 - thanks for making note of your coin drop. We will see who travels what route to BigG's. You will be missing one great event. But - there will always be others - maybe you will sail the seas with us at the MPQ........til' then - don't walk any planks!

Cache Maine
03-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Things are coming together nicely for the Quest...we can not wait for event day!!!! If there is anyone that needs lodging in the Bangor area, let me know and I'll give you some options.

Ohhh....CM2 gave away the Parrot Gavel from last year...hopefully we can find a suitable replacement....Hey Hiram, you gonna bring your raven?

hollora
03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Heee Heee Hee - a raven? We shall see. I could get out my sword to retreive a suitable subsitute...............

Hiram357
03-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Things are coming together nicely for the Quest...we can not wait for event day!!!! If there is anyone that needs lodging in the Bangor area, let me know and I'll give you some options.

Ohhh....CM2 gave away the Parrot Gavel from last year...hopefully we can find a suitable replacement....Hey Hiram, you gonna bring your raven?

Arrrrg! Me crows' not fer sale!! (but he is extremely excited about the event) :D:D:D

Opalsns
03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
ARGGGG! Ya bag O' bird eaters. There be no crow eatin' If I be watchin' the deck...AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!

Opalsns
03-02-2008, 03:31 PM
I'll be winnin' the cook off as well Arg! And I be bringin' a ready to launch, pre-stuffed
cache with a wee bitty unactivated coin for some scurvy deck hand to be awinnin'. Pray he be a good hearted soul,AAAARRRRGGGGG! (cough) AAAARRRRRGGGGG!
I'll be stuffin a log and writing instrument in as well as some swag so be preparrin' to be prepared for preparrin to win said cache AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!

hollora
03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
We be Happy Pirates crew be a bringin' mor' for tha' load. Be sure ta' put ya' plans here if ya' be loadin' the deck with treasa........or send a' esailin' message We be thankin' ya!

Cache Maine
03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
We took some time to do inventory of the auction items today and counted over 50 geocoins!!!!

This is going to be one big huge auction this year... as I said last year.....things may or may not be as they seem....keep your eyes and ears wide open since we have a lot of great things to auction.

You never know what we might slip in there.

hollora
03-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Cache Maine must have robbed another ship comin' up tho' riva...............

Ahoy Matey's - ther' will be secrets and odd doin's..........I wouldn't be trustin' a soul.......

Already heard' there be a few folks comin' in disguise..........and folks lurkin' in the woods perhaps..........urghhhhhh

Mainiac1957
03-22-2008, 05:52 AM
LA your "pirate brough" make me laugh every time I read it.;)

vicbiker
03-22-2008, 08:25 AM
LA your "pirate brough" make me laugh every time I read it.;) I think she was a pirate in her last life.....don't she just have that pirate look about her. :rolleyes:

Opalsns
03-22-2008, 08:35 AM
She be a fair maiden kidnapped by pirates and forced to cook and clean and say ...
Argg, I mean, Urrrggggghhh!

hollora
03-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Truth is - put me on a ship and I'm happy ~ how could I have married a landlubber??

EMSDanel
03-23-2008, 11:33 PM
HIPPA violations be what they may...ask to see her wooden leg...!

Opalsns
03-24-2008, 04:13 AM
So I says to my wife with the wooden leg, I says " Peg, we need more firewood "

Kaching Karen
04-01-2008, 07:23 PM
September 19th should be the date forthe Pirate Quest! While browsing the internet I found this for all you land-lubbers. I thought it was kind of funny, considering I quote this guy each time I post something here. Too bad I can't make it to the event.... oh well, I'll practice being a pirate on September 19th.

http://www.miamiherald.com/283/story/100129.html

Haffy
04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey that's my birthday too!!!!

Medawisla
04-01-2008, 09:18 PM
September 19th should be the date forthe Pirate Quest! While browsing the internet I found this for all you land-lubbers. I thought it was kind of funny, considering I quote this guy each time I post something here. Too bad I can't make it to the event.... oh well, I'll practice being a pirate on September 19th.

http://www.miamiherald.com/283/story/100129.html

Aw! we're going to miss you, KK:(

Cache Maine
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
The sponsorship information for the Maine Pirate Quest will go to print soon. I just wanted to give anyone a chance to get on board as an event sponsor...for more details, just ask me or Hollora. Thanks in advance!

We have a lot going on for this event and hope that you all will make it....I can assure you that we will do our very best to ensure that you have a good time!!!

I'm gonna try not to stress too much about it though. :D (so much to do, so little time....I have this, and this, and that...ohhh...and that....and ohhh...man, I still have to do this....) Too late!

hollora
04-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Just to respond to a few inquiries with the rain tonight - the event will be a go. For new folks - this is an inside event. We should be all set on plates, napkins, utensils, cups and the like. Pot luck food (be creative - a variety is welcome - Chef contest but you do not have to participate), some folks are bringing soda & water to supplement the punch and there will be decaf coffee. Games, fun, socialization, caching talk, meeting people (please introduce yourself around), and of course lots of trackables to discover and some to move on.

Just a reminder - there will be a treasure hunt for Cache Maine and hollora's coins - follow the directions to discover them - all - cool icons. These are not to be taken.

The Trackables area is where to drop off, discover and pick up trackables to move on. If you take a trackable to move, please be mindful of the mission if it is available to read. There will not be a sign in/sign out sheet for trackables at this event. Everyone is on their honor to drop, retrieve, move on and log trackables. If you do not know how to do this - please ask - there are loads of folks who will be willing to help you.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

Hiram357
04-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Just to respond to a few inquiries with the rain tonight - the event will be a go. For new folks - this is an inside event. We should be all set on plates, napkins, utensils, cups and the like. Pot luck food (be creative - a variety is welcome - Chef contest but you do not have to participate), some folks are bringing soda & water to supplement the punch and there will be decaf coffee. Games, fun, socialization, caching talk, meeting people (please introduce yourself around), and of course lots of trackables to discover and some to move on.

Just a reminder - there will be a treasure hunt for Cache Maine and hollora's coins - follow the directions to discover them - all - cool icons. These are not to be taken.

The Trackables area is where to drop off, discover and pick up trackables to move on. If you take a trackable to move, please be mindful of the mission if it is available to read. There will not be a sign in/sign out sheet for trackables at this event. Everyone is on their honor to drop, retrieve, move on and log trackables. If you do not know how to do this - please ask - there are loads of folks who will be willing to help you.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!

arg, i be lookin arg foward arg to it arg!

and i be bringing Capt. Hirams Magic Fruit Cake!!! It's sure to put wind in yer sails! arg! :D:eek::eek::eek:

Kaching Karen
04-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Have fun everyone at the Pirate Quest. I'll be caching with my sister and parents (Mumsbee and the Old Drone) here in Nova Scotia!

attroll
04-12-2008, 12:33 AM
I was really bumming when I realized this was on the same date and the Maine Appalachian Trail annual meeting. I was so looking forward to this even since I missed it last year. There is no sense in saying have a good time because I know you all will but have a great time.

Opalsns
04-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Wake Up Cachers,It's Pirate Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See you all in a few hours !!!!!!!!
Opalsns

Cache Maine
04-12-2008, 06:15 AM
The day is finally here....we are all loaded and ready to head out soon. It's going to be a fun day. Even with the rain, the pirate spirits are high.... LOL :eek:

Starzz
04-12-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm headed out in about an hour!! See everyone this afternoon!!

Opalsns
04-12-2008, 07:21 AM
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGG.

translated ... WWUUUUUUU HHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUU

al'Thor
04-12-2008, 07:23 AM
I wish I could be there and meet you guys, but its my weekend to work.:(
Have fun and stay as dry as possible.:)

Hiram357
04-12-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm headed out in about an hour!! See everyone this afternoon!!

pick up karen on your way down!! :D:rolleyes:

Mainiac1957
04-12-2008, 08:39 AM
pick up karen on your way down!! :D:rolleyes:

Starzz is here eh?

CANADA Eh?

Karen is up here Eh?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hiram357
04-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Starzz is here eh?

CANADA Eh?

Karen is up here Eh?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wuts all dat ABOOT Brad??? Eh :D:D:D:D

Dave and Gail
04-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Had a great time at the event,,,Thanks for all your hard work. :)