View Full Version : Baby Loon el dante'

dí76
02-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Here we can post loon recipes that we have come to try and love.

I prefer mine wrapped in a thin slice of ham with dijion mustard.

This one works to:

PLANKED LOON (special request) Contributed by ^Sammy
Catch a Loon Duck. (Black Lake Loonís are best). Pluck and clean. Boil well. With sharp knife, split duck down the belly. Splay it on a well soaked hardwood plank. Nail it good and wire it securely. Place upright on plank in front of hot coals on outdoor fireplace. Cook well for about two hours. When done, throw that fishy duck away, and eat the plank!!!

Here is the web site it came from
http://www.native-american-online.org/food.htm#PLANKED%20LOON

vicbiker
02-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Dave, although the planked loon sounds really good I prefer boiling mine in a pot of water with a medium size rock for two hours. Throw out the loon...eat the rock.:D:D:D

Hiram357
02-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Here we can post loon recipes that we have come to try and love.

I prefer mine wrapped in a thin slice of ham with dijion mustard.

This one works to:

PLANKED LOON (special request) Contributed by ^Sammy
Catch a Loon Duck. (Black Lake Loonís are best). Pluck and clean. Boil well. With sharp knife, split duck down the belly. Splay it on a well soaked hardwood plank. Nail it good and wire it securely. Place upright on plank in front of hot coals on outdoor fireplace. Cook well for about two hours. When done, throw that fishy duck away, and eat the plank!!!

Here is the web site it came from
http://www.native-american-online.org/food.htm#PLANKED%20LOON

Ya know, there's a lot of animals that i eat, and i love duck, but i don't think i could bring myself to eat a loon. Squirrel, moose, bear, guinea pig even... but theres just somethin about loons, i kinda feel the same way about bear and moose, they're such majestic creatures...... but theyre just too tasty... I think a loon is where i would draw the line...

dí76
02-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Ya know, there's a lot of animals that i eat, and i love duck, but i don't think i could bring myself to eat a loon. Squirrel, moose, bear, guinea pig even... but theres just somethin about loons, i kinda feel the same way about bear and moose, they're such majestic creatures...... but theyre just too tasty... I think a loon is where i would draw the line...

Hirams being a sissy, Hirams being a sissy:p:p:p

Think of it as doing soceity a favor. They eat potential trophy fish. With out loons we would have an abundance of fish and we wouldnt have to listen to the erie niose they make at night after you have had to much to drink and you are camping at Omaha Beach and think those are ghost in the woods coming to steal your sole. I mean... so I have heard:D

Hiram357
02-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Hirams being a sissy, Hirams being a sissy:p:p:p

Think of it as doing soceity a favor. They eat potential trophy fish. With out loons we would have an abundance of fish and we wouldnt have to listen to the erie niose they make at night after you have had to much to drink and you are camping at Omaha Beach and think those are ghost in the woods coming to steal your sole. I mean... so I have heard:D

hmmmm.... well... I like the eeerie noise they make, but you have a point about the trophy fish...

ILL GRAB THE PLANK!!! :D

dí76
02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
hmmmm.... well... I like the eeerie noise they make, but you have a point about the trophy fish...

ILL GRAB THE PLANK!!! :D

We could probably grab a few out of the river next weekend

dubord207
02-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Loons are quite tasty, but rather chewy, like owl!

dubord207
02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Another Maine delicacy I've enjoyed over the years is seal. Seal Oscar and Seal parmesan are my two favaorites, yummy when served fresh!