View Full Version : winter campout update

vicbiker
02-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Tat, Lacydiesel and myself went to the campsite on Saturday. We got all the wood cut and stacked, dug out the fire pit and seating area. The Whetstone Mayor had dragged the trail and cut the brush that hung into the trail. All that is left to do is put the outhouse back up and we be ready for the event. Even if you don't want to stay over night come and enjoy the warmth of the fire and friendship for the day time events. The fire will be burning all day and someone will be cooking something good I'm sure. There is even a rumor of lobster omelets on Sunday morning.

Medawisla
02-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Tat, Lacydiesel and myself went to the campsite on Saturday. We got all the wood cut and stacked, dug out the fire pit and seating area. The Whetstone Mayor had dragged the trail and cut the brush that hung into the trail. All that is left to do is put the outhouse back up and we be ready for the event. Even if you don't want to stay over night come and enjoy the warmth of the fire and friendship for the day time events. The fire will be burning all day and someone will be cooking something good I'm sure. There is even a rumor of lobster omelets on Sunday morning.

Thanks guys for all your hard work!! We can't wait! :D:cool:

Medawisla
02-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Maine's Winter Camping Event 2008 is a great opportunity to get out and enjoy all this snow!

Event page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1d4bdddb-bd5e-42a0-921e-1a8af71bb7c1

The north has gotten a lot of snow! As Vic posted, over 3 feet! I remember last year's event was a big hit with the kids! They built igloos and ran trails throughout the frozen bog! The fire was huge! Hot chocolate was staying hot all day long. The organizers created these awesome sitting areas sheltered from the wind all around the big fire! It was a great place to get out of the house, but still be able to relax!

For many geocachers, last year's event was the first time they had ever been winter camping! It is a bit of a trek in, snowshoes or skis make it easy! There are plenty of folks who'll be experienced and can help you ease into winter camping!

Please check out the event page above. Personally, I'll be adding my "will attend" as soon as the WWWWWW4 event is over, to drop coins. If you have questions, feel free to post here! And I'm sure Vic will add updates. :cool:

WhereRWe?
02-19-2008, 08:15 AM
The north has gotten a lot of snow! As Vic posted, over 3 feet!

Actually, I think they've gotten about the same as we have so far, which is over 7 feet! :eek: It's just that the snow has settled a lot and there might be 3 feet on the ground now. :D

Since it's a Saturday, RULOST2? will be working, but I might try and show up.

Medawisla
02-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Reviving the thread to remind folks to post on the event page your intentions to come to the camping event, whether you're staying the night or just coming during the day for fun.:)

I'm going to contact Kaching Karen and see if she's coming, if so, she and I can put together some organized kids games for the day, but honestly there's plenty for kids to do. Last year, no organized games I can recall, but the kids built igloos, climbed mounds of snow, explored the woods and the bog, made tracks in fresh snow, joined in with the few caches that were placed, and all around seemed to have a great time. :cool:

I hope we can get a great turn out this year too, a lot of people have put a lot of really hard work into pulling the campsite together to make it inviting and enjoyable. :)

d’76
02-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Mrs.76 aka girlmate aka squirrelbait and I will be coming up for the day. How far is it from the parking to the campsite? I just want to make sure that she can make it in. You know with those short legs of hers.:D:p

Medawisla
02-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Mrs.76 aka girlmate aka squirrelbait and I will be coming up for the day. How far is it from the parking to the campsite? I just want to make sure that she can make it in. You know with those short legs of hers.:D:p

I'm pretty sure it's just a mile from the road/parking to the campsite. It's groomed too! Easy snowshoe, relatively easy walk considering it's in snow. Glad you're coming!!:D:D:cool:

tat
02-27-2008, 09:20 AM
It's 1 mile, 130 feet descending on the the way in. Snowshoes are your best bet, but the trail was packed well enough last time the we didn't even wear them. The trail is easy enough to ski, if you have 2 skis.

And, sherpa service is available, for a small fee, of course. :p

attroll
02-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Here's an update for me. I will not be able to attend this event on my Snowmobile like last year as I had hoped. We have schedule a group ride on my snowmobile web site in Rangeley this weekend. I am bummed. I knew about it but it never crossed my mind that they were both on the same weekend.

Hiram357
02-27-2008, 03:20 PM
It's 1 mile, 130 feet descending on the the way in. Snowshoes are your best bet, but the trail was packed well enough last time the we didn't even wear them. The trail is easy enough to ski, if you have 2 skis.

And, sherpa service is available, for a small fee, of course. :p

A sherpa service eh??? Maybe I will bring the dutch oven and buddy heater... :D:D:D

robt
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
A sherpa service eh??? Maybe I will bring the dutch oven and buddy heater... :D:D:D

Where do I sign up for the Sherpa service? I need to get my motorhome brought in. :D

Hiram357
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Here's an update for me. I will not be able to attend this event on my Snowmobile like last year as I had hoped. We have schedule a group ride on my snowmobile web site in Rangeley this weekend. I am bummed. I knew about it but it never crossed my mind that they were both on the same weekend.

I'm begining to think you just don't like us anymore rick.... :rolleyes:;):p

firefighterjake
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Rick . . . do you remember the route to get there via sled. I remember heading north on the "Interstate" (i.e. the rail bed) to Dover-Foxcroft, but then where . . . you don't happen to remember do you?

firefighterjake
02-27-2008, 03:53 PM

"Buddy heater" . . . isn't that what your spouse is there for . . . at least I know in my case I'm the "Buddy Heater" when my wife gets in bed and has cold feet . . . at least they're cold until she warms them up by putting them on me. ;):D

firefighterjake
02-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm begining to think you just don't like us anymore rick.... :rolleyes:;):p

I still like ya Hiram. ;):D

vicbiker
02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Rick . . . do you remember the route to get there via sled. I remember heading north on the "Interstate" (i.e. the rail bed) to Dover-Foxcroft, but then where . . . you don't happen to remember do you? Follow the I-95 north as if going to Greenville...go through Guildford staying on I-95 north till you cross rt.15 in Abbot...about five miles from there you see a sign saying Piper Pond, Whetsone Pond, this is a left turn, brings you down across the green bridge over the river at Barrows Falls....from there the trail goes right into the woods for a short distance and you'll come to the Barrows Falls road. Thats where all the vehicles will be parked. Just a mile from there to all the festivities!!!

Hiram357
02-27-2008, 07:52 PM
"Buddy heater" . . . isn't that what your spouse is there for . . . at least I know in my case I'm the "Buddy Heater" when my wife gets in bed and has cold feet . . . at least they're cold until she warms them up by putting them on me. ;):D

no jake, mine is propane powered, to generate "heat" not ice... :D:D:D

attroll
02-28-2008, 01:37 AM
Rick . . . do you remember the route to get there via sled. I remember heading north on the "Interstate" (i.e. the rail bed) to Dover-Foxcroft, but then where . . . you don't happen to remember do you?

Here are the directions to the Maine's Winter Camping Event from last years 2007 if going by snowmobile from ITS 85.

From ITS 85 at N45° 14.658' and W69° 32.236' take the turn off at this location. There should be a sign saying Balsam Woods Campground.
Follow the trail until you cross a metal bridge.
Once you cross the bridge there will be another trail leading to the right as soon as you cross the bridge, but do not take this trail. Keep going straight up the road.
The trail will go along side the road (barrow falls road) for about 0.4 miles then it will veer off from the road to the left back into the woods.
Then about 0.44 miles down this trail at coordinates N 45° 13.845 W 069° 32.270 there is a side trail leading to the final coordinates N 45° 14.008 W 069° 31.773 that will bring you to the camp fire pit.I used tracking on my GPS last year to get to the Winter Camping Site and I converted it to Google earth and attached it to this post. I only did it from the car parking coordinates to the Campfire.
Googel Earth KML file (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=177&d=1171478456)

Here is a GPX file from last year with the waypoints and the track file.
GPX file (http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=178&d=1171480611)

firefighterjake
02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks Vicbiker and Attroll . . . now that you gave the directions I can more or less remember the trip in . . . if I do make it hopefully I won't have a repeat performance like last year . . . although those biscuits of Mrs. Whetstone Mayor sure were good!

Hiram357
02-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks Vicbiker and Attroll . . . now that you gave the directions I can more or less remember the trip in . . . if I do make it hopefully I won't have a repeat performance like last year . . . although those biscuits of Mrs. Whetstone Mayor sure were good!

sooooooo.... are ya gunna camp out or wuss out??? ;):rolleyes::D

firefighterjake
02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
sooooooo.... are ya gunna camp out or wuss out??? ;):rolleyes::D

Wuss out . . . If I come I'll be on my sled with my brother-in-law in tow. Besides I don't have a "Stephi Heater." ;):D

Medawisla
02-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Wuss out . . . If I come I'll be on my sled with my brother-in-law in tow. Besides I don't have a "Stephi Heater." ;):D

Apparently I'm a Steffy Icer...but I know others who'd appreciate my cuddling abilities!!!:mad::p:rolleyes:;)

Medawisla
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
:(Also, Kaching Karen will not be attending...so I'll try to enthuse kids present, but I think they'll be much on their own...:p

d’76
02-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Apparently I'm a Steffy Icer...but I know others who'd appreciate my cuddling abilities!!!:mad::p:rolleyes:;)

I wish there was a smiley of a guy raising his hand;)

Medawisla
02-28-2008, 09:22 PM

SEE! I told you so...:D:p:o;)

Mainiac1957
02-28-2008, 09:27 PM

;););););););)Count in at least one old guy.;););););););)

Team Richards
02-28-2008, 09:50 PM
;););):):):):);););)

Hiram357
02-28-2008, 11:13 PM

;););););););)Count in at least one old guy.;););););););)

that's it... i'm bringing the assualt rifle collection to the event... :mad::rolleyes::p;)

d’76
02-28-2008, 11:35 PM
that's it... i'm bringing the assualt rifle collection to the event... :mad::rolleyes::p;)

Cool, now I know I'm safe. The question is can you hit what you are aiming at? I've shot with alot of guys that have cool toys but cant hit $**t with them.

And for the record...
Steph can snuggle with me any day

Mainiac1957
02-29-2008, 06:19 AM

Cool, now I know I'm safe. The question is can you hit what you are aiming at? I've shot with alot of guys that have cool toys but cant hit $**t with them.

And for the record...
Steph can snuggle with me any day

Seems to me I recall how the kids got to come recently, but the were never allowed to go out and play.:p:D:rolleyes::p:rolleyes:;)

d’76
02-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Seems to me I recall how the kids got to come recently, but the were never allowed to go out and play.:p:D:rolleyes::p:rolleyes:;)

By the time we where ready to go play with the kiddies we had to many beers in us to make sure they where safe. Next time.

Kacky
02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Where do I sign up for the Sherpa service? I need to get my motorhome brought in.

Mine's busy that day, but if you want to get a sherpa, wear your hair curly and put on a blue dress. It worked for me.:D

attroll
02-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Well after looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow it looks like I am going to cancel my trip to Rangeley for the group snowmobile ride. The driving is going to be to crappy to haul my sleds to Rangeley. It looks like were going to get anywhere between 6 to 16 inches of snow in the northern areas this weekend.

If the weather is not to back tomorrow around noon I may try to drive to Newport and unload my snowmobile there and snowmobile from there to the event if the weather is not to bad. However by the looks of it I don't think that is going to happen. I will keep my fingers crossed though.

Hiram357
02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
By the time we where ready to go play with the kiddies we had to many beers in us to make sure they where safe. Next time.

as i recall, there was the time in the afternoon that we didnt have any in us and you said you were "worried about the neighbors cuz they're from away" :p:p:p

Hiram357
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Well after looking at the weather forecast for tomorrow it looks like I am going to cancel my trip to Rangeley for the group snowmobile ride. The driving is going to be to crappy to haul my sleds to Rangeley. It looks like were going to get anywhere between 6 to 16 inches of snow in the northern areas this weekend.

If the weather is not to back tomorrow around noon I may try to drive to Newport and unload my snowmobile there and snowmobile from there to the event if the weather is not to bad. However by the looks of it I don't think that is going to happen. I will keep my fingers crossed though.

We'll be lookin for ya! :D

I'm not sure what time we'll be headin out, I still gotta find a place to stash my van so it won't get towed if they decide to plow while im gone... :(

attroll
02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
We'll be lookin for ya! :D

I'm not sure what time we'll be headin out, I still gotta find a place to stash my van so it won't get towed if they decide to plow while im gone... :(
You might want to get ahold of Vic and ask him about this because I am sure there going to be plowing off and on.

tat
02-29-2008, 01:57 PM
We are planning on holding the event as planned, however, we may need to shuttle some cars to keep the road clear for the plow trucks.

If you plan to come, please be careful driving and leave a little extra time.

Forecast for Saturday:
Snow. Snow may be heavy at times in the afternoon. Snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches. Highs in the upper 20s. East winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Hiram357
02-29-2008, 02:42 PM
You might want to get ahold of Vic and ask him about this because I am sure there going to be plowing off and on.

no, i mean my work van, that stays behind at the apartment, if they plow the parking lot while im gone theyll tow it...

but i gave my keys to a trusted neighbor and he's going to try and watch out for me :D

attroll
02-29-2008, 02:44 PM
no, i mean my work van, that stays behind at the apartment, if they plow the parking lot while im gone theyll tow it...

but i gave my keys to a trusted neighbor and he's going to try and watch out for me :D
Heck let them tow it and let you company pay for the tow. It's not your truck. Or just take it and park it at your employors.

Sudonim
02-29-2008, 05:52 PM

OK...now wait a minute. You are canceling a snowmobile trip due to TOO MUCH snow???
That would be like saying "I have a free three day weekend in the middle of summer in the sunshine, so I think I'll call off the caching":p:rolleyes:

Haffy
02-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Ironic isn't it?

robt
02-29-2008, 07:20 PM
I am planning on being up tommorrow. TAT, I will try to call you when I get up that way

attroll
03-01-2008, 02:23 AM
OK...now wait a minute. You are canceling a snowmobile trip due to TOO MUCH snow???
That would be like saying "I have a free three day weekend in the middle of summer in the sunshine, so I think I'll call off the caching":p:rolleyes:
Well maybe I should have worded it different. I am going to cancel driving up north hauling my sleds behind the truck in a snowstorm and just do my snowmobile trip locally instead.

Sabby
03-01-2008, 08:45 AM
When I was up there last week for WWWWWW4 I was disappointed with the small amount of snow I brought with me so I sent some more.

Has it arrived? :)

tat
03-01-2008, 11:08 AM
When I was up there last week for WWWWWW4 I was disappointed with the small amount of snow I brought with me so I sent some more.

It's just getting here now! Fresh snow!!!!! :D
:D

attroll
03-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I have over 5 inches of snow now and it is still snowing like crazy. I hope everyone has fun at the event. It looks like I will not make it. I am bumming.

hollora
03-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Hope you all are having a great time. Stay safe out there!

Hiram357
03-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Heck let them tow it and let you company pay for the tow. It's not your truck. Or just take it and park it at your employors.

Heh.. well, the nearest office is up in canada, and the nearest US office is over in Milwaukee... So if I drop it off I'll probably miss the event...

but it's still here, my neighbor took good care of it. :D

The event was awesome, good times had by all, snowshoein, bean eatin, and parachuting! Thanks vic and tom for another great winter campout! can't wait for the next one! :D

Medawisla
03-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Sorry so many of you missed out on a great event!!
We only got about 6inches of that snow Sat and we had a parachutte over the fire area to stay dry and warm!:cool: It was mild on Saturday around 30degrees. The food was out of this world! (TAT's omelette of the day and homemade baked beans!!):D Great poker ru...errr...cache run!:p Thanks Vic and TAT and everyone else who helped prepare the site and make it so hospitable!:cool:

firefighterjake
03-03-2008, 07:25 AM

Trust me . . . when it comes to snowmobiling there is such a thing as having too much of a good thing . . . especially if it comes all at once.

Yesterday there were five of us out sledding. We only did 70 or so miles and in all that time we had two crashes (nothing major . . . once my brother got caught in a drift and went into a haybale and then once he ran into an unmarked ditch which pitched him off the sled), two "fall offs" while attempting to go over a steep bank near the roads (again no physical injuries) and nine "stucks" (one of which was in chest deep snow . . . it was at this point that our group decided to turn around and abandon our attempt to ride to Dysarts for lunch seeing as it was already 1 p.m.)

That said . . . I'm still loving this snow . . . just gotta remember to let the young 16-20 year olds get out before me so they can break trail and get stuck . . . makes the going so much easier for me then! :) ;)

firefighterjake
03-03-2008, 07:27 AM

Oh yeah . . . it came . . . thanks for the gift . . . I don't think my wife or Becket appreciates it much though! :) ;)

Hiram357
03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Trust me . . . when it comes to snowmobiling there is such a thing as having too much of a good thing . . . especially if it comes all at once.

Yesterday there were five of us out sledding. We only did 70 or so miles and in all that time we had two crashes (nothing major . . . once my brother got caught in a drift and went into a haybale and then once he ran into an unmarked ditch which pitched him off the sled), two "fall offs" while attempting to go over a steep bank near the roads (again no physical injuries) and nine "stucks" (one of which was in chest deep snow . . . it was at this point that our group decided to turn around and abandon our attempt to ride to Dysarts for lunch seeing as it was already 1 p.m.)

That said . . . I'm still loving this snow . . . just gotta remember to let the young 16-20 year olds get out before me so they can break trail and get stuck . . . makes the going so much easier for me then! :) ;)

yeah, that chest deep stuff sucks, I went in up to my chest when we were setting up our tent... it was definitely an interesting veiw of the putting the stakes in the ground and almost being eye level with them... :D:D:D