View Full Version : The tale of two skis

vicbiker
02-23-2008, 09:51 PM
This story starts like that of so many other skis, or so I would imagine.Manufactured at the same time they were in fact identical twins in every sense of the word. They were eventually sold to a caring man who from what I've been told, and also witnessed myself, took good care of them for the past ten years or more. Never abusing them and always making sure that they remained together as twins should. That is until today. In what can only be described as a moment of carelessness one of the skis was dropped on the top of a gentle slope.Possibly for the first time the ski found itself alone and without the guidance of it's owner the ski was making the most of it's new found freedom. Gliding easily through the trees the ski make it's way down the slope easily keeping ahead of the owner, who by now was racing after it with little to no chance of catching the runaway ski. Those of us that witnessed this tragic event can attest to his heroic attempt to stop the skis escape. Not being a ski I can only imagine what the ski must have been thinking as it sped through the woods. At first this freedom must have seem wonderful, but as the gentle slope turn into a decline down a steep bank terminating into the deep dark waters of the Mesalonski Stream, the thoughts going through its mind must have been terrifying. The owner could only watch as the ski shot into the air, sailing out over the stream, and then disappearing into those dark waters. Unwilling to plunge into the water to rescue the ski, the owner has destined this ski to spend eternity in its watery grave.

I have no way of knowing what the rest of the group is thinking or how todays tragic event will affect them. Myself, I found that a wonderful day of geocaching was horribly sadden by the death of this ski and on my way home from Oakland I couldn't help but think of the remaining ski. What kind of life will it have now? Will the owner still want it?

Not being one to talk out of turn I'm not going to tell the owners name here. Those that were there know who he was. All I will say is that his initials are T.A.T.:D:D:D:D

team moxiepup
02-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Apparently they weren't water skis? :eek:

tat
02-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Hmmm, my water ski was orphaned at birth, it's a slalom ski.

The snow ski could tell some amazing tales, if it could only talk. That ski always did have a sense of adventure! Born in the Adirondacks, it has been to NY, VT, NH, MT and all over Maine. I've always been able to track it down after a short chase. I thought today would be no different. But, just as the ski was about to stop, it decided to take left turn and, well, I think Vic said it better than I can.

Time to learn to slalom xcski.

vicbiker
02-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Tom I've heard of one legged down hill skiers, but one legged cross country skiers must be rare.

Kacky
02-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Well told! I was riveted! Can we use it on the podcast? Can we huh can we?

vicbiker
02-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Well told! I was riveted! Can we use it on the podcast? Can we huh can we?I think that would be a wonderful idea, might even go towards preventing this from happening to some other poor ski.:D

dubord207
02-24-2008, 08:22 AM
I wish I had been there to see this. I think we need to use ski trail designations from this point forward. Was this a Double Diamond trail? Should TAT wear a helmet and a lifejacket from this point forward? How about ski brakes or long tong rawhide straps like in the good old days? Carry in, carry out, NOT! Should the DEP be notified? (some of these old cross country skis can become saturated with toxic wax and cheap wine) I saw a group of divers fishing a snowmobile out of China Lake a week ago. These guys are expensive but what's the emotional cost of loss of a good ski like this? My sympathy to TAT!http://geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

vicbiker
02-24-2008, 09:25 AM
I wish I had been there to see this. I think we need to use ski trail designations from this point forward. Was this a Double Diamond trail? Should TAT wear a helmet and a lifejacket from this point forward? How about ski brakes or long tong rawhide straps like in the good old days? Carry in, carry out, NOT! Should the DEP be notified? (some of these old cross country skis can become saturated with toxic wax and cheap wine) I saw a group of divers fishing a snowmobile out of China Lake a week ago. These guys are expensive but what's the emotional cost of loss of a good ski like this? My sympathy to TAT!http://geocachingmaine.org/forum/images/icons/icon10.gifyou bring up a lot of good points. The idea of Tat wearing a helmet may be a little sensitive though, I think he had to wear one all the time when he was young.:D Likewise the rawhide is also a good idea and I,ve noticed that he has yarn running through his jacket sleeves attached to his mittens.:D I think the DEP was notified as Stef witness the whole tragic event.;) Sympathy e-mails to Tat might be a way to help him a this time of lost.:D

Team Richards
02-24-2008, 09:38 AM
We echo Vicbikers comments, very well put.
Although we were on the trail with the group, we had moved ahead toward the next cache. I think this was good because no child should have to see such a tragic event.
It seems some what odd that this happened between caches "Don't take me for granite" and "Ouch".
I believe everything happens for a reason, bad karma perhaps, who knows. TAT maybe you are destined to design a automatically deployed flotation device for skis.:)

vicbiker
02-24-2008, 10:02 AM
You are so right about the children, especially the youngest. It's good that he won't have to keep reliving those tragic memories that the rest of us are unable to forget. I
hardly slept at all last night.I was the first person back to the spot where the now alone ski was waiting. How will I ever get over that memory? So sad.

tat
02-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Too bad it did not happen at the "Tight Squeeze" cache!

Lunch at Big G's: $6
12 year old skis: $15
Gas to get to Waterville: $20

Finding "Bridge the Gap": Priceless!!!

I don't think I had "bad" karma. Bad karma is when you loose the bail on your ski bindings, in the Adirondacks, 3 miles from the trial head while crossing a stream in -20F weather in the midst of the snowiest year in recent times.

The ski, on the other hand, clearly had bad karma! :)

vicbiker
02-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Finding "Bridge the Gap": Priceless!!![/quote] Stef sitting on" Bridge the Gap" puts a whole new meaning on the name.:D

Mainiac1957
02-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Too bad it did not happen at the "Tight Squeeze" cache!

Lunch at Big G's: $6
12 year old skis: $15
Gas to get to Waterville: $20

Finding "Bridge the Gap": Priceless!!!

I don't think I had "bad" karma. Bad karma is when you loose the bail on your ski bindings, in the Adirondacks, 3 miles from the trial head while crossing a stream in -20F weather in the midst of the snowiest year in recent times.

The ski, on the other hand, clearly had bad karma! :)

You all are way to funny. I know this all was just to pick on me for not coming along on the hike yesterday. And you are all welcome for the nudge in the right direction on "Bridging the Gap"

Team Richards
02-24-2008, 10:50 AM
I was just breaking the news to the boys. "J" had a good perspective. He said "TAT should have known not to ski on the Mess-a-lost-ski trail".

tat
02-24-2008, 11:52 AM
I noticed much the same thing when I was logging the cache just now. It could also be Mess-a-lone-ski. :)

The signs were everywhere. I just didn't see them.

Team2hunt
02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
I just happened to have my camera out taking a picture of the group heading down the trail...when. What's that! Oh it's just TAT. We made our assumptions, and it just happened that I snapped a picture, of something running through the woods. Great day to out grabbing some really nice caches with some of the best people around.

Foxgloves
02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
TAT I still feel bad about you losing your ski...but you have such a great spirit about the whole thing. Don't sweat the small stuff right?

There is only one TAT and we are all richer for knowing you!

We all love you to pieces! :)

d’76
02-24-2008, 08:58 PM
TAT I still feel bad about you losing your ski...but you have such a great spirit about the whole thing. Don't sweat the small stuff right?

There is only one TAT and we are all richer for knowing you!

We all love you to pieces! :)

Awwwww..... group hug:p:D

Team Richards
02-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm glad we still have an old monitor those new flat screen aren't as hugable.

Sabby
02-24-2008, 11:48 PM
TAT all is not lost yet! When I got back to the house and told the story of you losing your ski my son in law was greatly moved. He has assured me that as soon as the ice goes out he will put his boat into the water and search diligently for the missing ski. He is also a fisherman and to my knowledge has not come up with any fish in this part of the stream but has "hooked" several pails, logs, pieces of clothing, and tires. We have a good chance that he will get your ski.

Haffy
02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
. He has assured me that as soon as the ice goes out he will put his boat into the water and search diligently for the missing ski.

The ice was out that's why he couldn't get the ski, it went into the water....lol :D

Hiram357
02-25-2008, 06:47 PM
yeah, we go on a cache run... and what does the cache run king not do... sign the log for us! :p:p:p;):D

Team2hunt
02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
yeah, we go on a cache run... and what does the cache run king not do... sign the log for us! :p:p:p;):D

Some of us chose to stop and search one last time for the find. You could have stopped and looked too. I sure was glad to have found and logged it. I can't imagine ever coming back to the area for just that one cache. I'm sure you will find the time to log it. Good luck!

Cache run King? :confused: must be thinking of TAT. :rolleyes:

Hiram357
02-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Some of us chose to stop and search one last time for the find. You could have stopped and looked too. I sure was glad to have found and logged it. I can't imagine ever coming back to the area for just that one cache. I'm sure you will find the time to log it. Good luck!

Cache run King? :confused: must be thinking of TAT. :rolleyes:

actually we did stop and look one last time, but i was looking at the other end of the bridge where it wasnt fully investigated... :(

Team Richards
02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Well having gone back to the area for no caches, I can tell you that it is a very nice walk and a pretty area. I may even go back again and explore the hut more or look for things. A guy I know says never do all the caches close to your house just in case you want to do a cache that you don't have to drive a long ways for.

Medawisla
02-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Well having gone back to the area for no caches, I can tell you that it is a very nice walk and a pretty area. I may even go back again and explore the hut more or look for things. A guy I know says never do all the caches close to your house just in case you want to do a cache that you don't have to drive a long ways for.

I like your philosophy Team Richards! Thanks again for tagging along with us and getting us digging in the right areas! It was a lot of fun!:D

hollora
02-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Team Richards has echoed something I wished I had been told or read early on - leave some of those at home - for when you just need a cache fix.......and driving miles won't do. I have a few left close but they are all significant hike - body, don't fail me when I attempt them!

Mapachi
02-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Well, I was with TAT when all this happened and I must say I was terrified! I thought he had gone over with the ski! You all can't imagine how it looked, seeing him speeding over the edge of the abyss in chase of the ski! He's a regular TARZAN and grabbed a tree at the last moment. PHEW!

dubord207
02-26-2008, 06:45 AM
I went out yesterday, 2/25/08 to do the Messalonski series. Di and I had done 1 and 2 and with all the "tracks" I figured the group of you left I guessed it would be farily easy hiking and somwhat helpful. Found 3 thru six without too much effort ( I did have helpful clues from Rich and Carol on 3 and 4. After doing 6 I decided to head back to the "squeeze" cache before loading the coords for #7. I figured Early fences meant something located close to the chain link fences where the trail starts! NOT! So by this time it was starting to get dark so now I"ve got to go back and get the last @#$#$% cache. Not realy a problem as the trail system is spectacular, plus I want to check on my loon that Steph placed there.

vicbiker
02-26-2008, 09:17 AM
I went out yesterday, 2/25/08 to do the Messalonski series. Di and I had done 1 and 2 and with all the "tracks" I figured the group of you left I guessed it would be farily easy hiking and somwhat helpful. Found 3 thru six without too much effort ( I did have helpful clues from Rich and Carol on 3 and 4. After doing 6 I decided to head back to the "squeeze" cache before loading the coords for #7. I figured Early fences meant something located close to the chain link fences where the trail starts! NOT! So by this time it was starting to get dark so now I"ve got to go back and get the last @#$#$% cache. Not realy a problem as the trail system is spectacular, plus I want to check on my loon that Steph placed there. Yeah...I remember in my American history class about the pilgrims clearing the land and building CHAIN LINK FENCES. :D:D:D

firefighterjake
02-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah...I remember in my American history class about the pilgrims clearing the land and building CHAIN LINK FENCES. :D:D:D

Wasn't it a year or two after that when Pilgrim Standish McDonald erected America's First Fastfood Restaurant featuring McVenison and McTurkey Nuggets available with a side order of squash or mashed potatoes?

Team Richards
02-26-2008, 06:30 PM
OK I was just laughing so hard my boys came over to see what I was reading.

Now a short history lesson on wire fences

Did you know~
J. Wallace Page (1843-1916) was a dairy farmer near Adrian, Michigan after the Civil War.
Legend has it that he was frustrated over the shortage of quality wood for building the type of rail fence popular for farms. As a result he began experimenting with the use of steel wire in fabricating fences to contain cattle and other livestock. At that time, barbed wire was the only wire product used in fencing and while it was effective, it still depended on wood posts for support.
Wallace decided that the best solution was to design a completely new fence system made entirely from steel and this resulted in his invention of the first woven wire fence in 1883.

WOW I didn't know that.

Medawisla
02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I went out yesterday, 2/25/08 to do the Messalonski series. Di and I had done 1 and 2 and with all the "tracks" I figured the group of you left I guessed it would be farily easy hiking and somwhat helpful. Found 3 thru six without too much effort ( I did have helpful clues from Rich and Carol on 3 and 4. After doing 6 I decided to head back to the "squeeze" cache before loading the coords for #7. I figured Early fences meant something located close to the chain link fences where the trail starts! NOT! So by this time it was starting to get dark so now I"ve got to go back and get the last @#$#$% cache. Not realy a problem as the trail system is spectacular, plus I want to check on my loon that Steph placed there.

Sorry Dubord, both that you missed out on #7 and that the loon was snatched as it touched the cache by Foxgloves who also fell in love with it! She's taken it to Vermont (there are loons out there too). :D:cool: Happy caching!:D

Foxgloves
02-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Now a short history lesson on wire fences

Did you know~
J. Wallace Page (1843-1916) was a dairy farmer near Adrian, Michigan after the Civil War.
Legend has it that he was frustrated over the shortage of quality wood for building the type of rail fence popular for farms. As a result he began experimenting with the use of steel wire in fabricating fences to contain cattle and other livestock. At that time, barbed wire was the only wire product used in fencing .............

Apparently someone is a history buff! :)
Interesting Stuff !

Kaching Karen
02-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Steph and I were snowshoeing at the arboretum the other day and TAT was joining us. I thought he was walking in to meet us. We came down the hill and saw him with ski poles. I asked Steph, "You don't think he's on one ski, do you?" Don't worry gang. He was on two.

hollora
03-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Apparently someone is a history buff! :)
Interesting Stuff !

You should read some of TR discoveries on coins. He should be a teacher. I have learned loads and love to let the Team Richards family discover my coins. :D

Team Richards
03-01-2008, 09:35 PM
You should read some of TR discoveries on coins. He should be a teacher. I have learned loads and love to let the Team Richards family discover my coins. :D

Thank you we do have fun.
It started as a way to involve the boys, we love to see what we can learn.
Off topic but~
I learned today that if you are looking at a statue in the park of a person on a horse, and the horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle;
if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle;
if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

I just thought that was cool, so now you know.

hollora
03-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow - TR - that is cool about the horse statue information. You should be an educator - you are probably better than any home schooler who is now registered with the State of Maine. LOL

Now, if your boys have learned, from the logging of discovery coins, even 1/2 what I have learned they are much wiser than many young men I know of their age. I bet a lot of young folks would have never observed off my laynard what, William did to discover pins. One sharp observor I say!

May your learning journeys as a family never end! How very cool! The joy of discovery is a fun wonder to be shared. Cache on, cache happy and maximize the discoveries to include adventure and learning to take you to another dimension!

Happy to be a partner in friendship - LA

Team Richards
03-02-2008, 07:53 AM
[quote=hollora;39832]
May your learning journeys as a family never end! How very cool! The joy of discovery is a fun wonder to be shared. Cache on, cache happy and maximize the discoveries to include adventure and learning to take you to another dimension!

Very well said
It is hard at times to keep their interest up, you really have to make it fun.

The boys like the state coins the best. we have been looking up very odd laws that are still on the books. You have to wonder why some where ever made into laws. I think there favorite is in Arizona "it is against the law to wash your donkey in your bathtub." I'd love to know the story be hide that law.

We are also working on our introverteness. I have challenged them to learn at least one persons name when we go to a social event. It has been funny to hear what they talked to people about.
I should be so bold.

As for being a teacher, I'm flattered, but Teachers work way to hard, I'm not sure I could keep up

Medawisla
03-02-2008, 05:13 PM
What Hollora says holds truth with many of us! Thanks a lot to all members of Team Richards for your continued enthusiasm with geocaching; you all are a joy to meet at events, fun on the trail, and impressive with logs. We appreciate the effort that you put into this sport and recognize that you are not a bunch of lazy cachers! We hope you always have so much fun and learn so much, and thanks for including us too!:D:cool:

firefighterjake
03-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Thank you we do have fun.
It started as a way to involve the boys, we love to see what we can learn.
Off topic but~
I learned today that if you are looking at a statue in the park of a person on a horse, and the horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle;
if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle;
if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

I just thought that was cool, so now you know.

Actually the statement about the horse hoof placement on a statue is incorrect and is in fact an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/military/statue.asp

Medawisla
03-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Actually the statement about the horse hoof placement on a statue is incorrect and is in fact an urban legend.

Uh oh! That happens to me all the time. Just can't believe everything you read on the internet...:(:p

Sudonim
03-03-2008, 10:48 AM
I love snopes!

darterkitfox
03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
So then it's an urban legend that if the horse in the statue is lying down he's just sleeping?

Team Richards
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM

That's a great site thank you for sharing it.

Mapachi
03-03-2008, 11:34 PM
What does it mean if all four hooves are off the ground?

Team Richards
03-04-2008, 05:01 AM
You need glasses

firefighterjake
03-04-2008, 07:16 AM
:D

Well if all four hooves are off the ground and the horse is upright it means the horse is jumping something . . . if all four hooves are off the ground and the horse is on it's back it means the horse is dead. ;):D

Sudonim
03-04-2008, 12:14 PM
It means that you are looking at a horsefly :p