View Full Version : 1000 Reasons Why We Love Geocaching

Cache Maine
03-03-2008, 08:39 PM
In honor of Team Richards' 1000th cache find, I thought we could compile a list of reasons why we all love this game. Feel free to post as many times and reasons as you wish and please stay on topic. No need to number, just keep those reasons coming!

Geocaching Friends like Team Richards!
Maine Delorme Challenge

Kacky
03-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Code Names!

Cache Maine
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Signature Items

tat
03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
The adventure

Medawisla
03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
friends we meet that we never would have otherwise met:D

Mainiac1957
03-03-2008, 09:11 PM
Having some of the best food imaginable whether your at a restaurant down south, or freezing cold out on a bog somewhere near Abbot. :cool::cool:

dí76
03-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I can call connie squirrel bait

dí76
03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I got shot at

Haffy
03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Places you will see that you probably wouldn't have ever seen were it not for geocaching.
All the great new people and friends that you will make and hopefully last a lifetime.

dí76
03-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Medaweewee

dubord207
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Beautiful natural areas right in our back yards that we would never had known about but for this fun-filled sport!

Medawisla
03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Beautiful natural areas right in our back yards that we would never had known about but for this fun-filled sport!

Places you will see that you probably wouldn't have ever seen were it not for geocaching.
All the great new people and friends that you will make and hopefully last a lifetime.

You guys had my top two reasons :cool: Third for me is getting to spead quality time with Hiram :p

Medaweewee

You deserve the bullet

Cache Maine
03-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Creating travel bug and geocoin missions

hollora
03-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Friends I never would have met without this sport!

Pushing me to get off the couch!

Laughing at myself even if my nose is bleeding!

Mapachi
03-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Geocoin collection

Mapachi
03-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Making and hiding caches! Re-learning how to be a boyscout!

firefighterjake
03-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Friends that I never would have met anywhere else . . . true friends that you know you can count on whether it's easting pizza at the UHOP or bailing you out when your beater car dies in middle of the Benton/Bermuda Triangle

Scenic locations that you'll never find listed in any tourist brochures . . . but are incredibly beautiful

Being an inaugral member of ORCA . . . and getting to wear the foam rubber ORCA costume while driving to the event

Doing the Fitz Cache . . . and not being asked out even once

Meeting another geocacher in middle of the woods . . . and playing that little game where you try to find out if he/she is a geocacher or a muggle that just happens to be walking near the cache

Finding a hidden gem of place, designing a clever hide and then reading about folk's adventures in finding that cache . . . especially if someone like poor Upsalquitch ends up having his dog roll around in freshly spread cow manure

Finding that little knicknack that you know your wife would love (or you would love) . . . after checking out a half bazillion caches full of rocks, McToys and other trash

Being able to combine geocaching with camping . . . and four wheeling

Medawisla
03-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Friends that I never would have met anywhere else . . . true friends that you know you can count on whether it's easting pizza at the UHOP or bailing you out when your beater car dies in middle of the Benton/Bermuda Triangle

Scenic locations that you'll never find listed in any tourist brochures . . . but are incredibly beautiful

Being an inaugral member of ORCA . . . and getting to wear the foam rubber ORCA costume while driving to the event

Meeting another geocacher in middle of the woods . . . and playing that little game where you try to find out if he/she is a geocacher or a muggle that just happens to be walking near the cache

Finding a hidden gem of place, designing a clever hide and then reading about folk's adventures in finding that cache . . . especially if someone like poor Upsalquitch ends up having his dog roll around in freshly spread cow manure

Finding that little knicknack that you know your wife would love (or you would love) . . . after checking out a half bazillion caches full of rocks, McToys and other trash

Being able to combine geocaching with camping . . . and four wheeling

That's great FFJ, but you forgot to leave something for Hiram to post...:D:p;)

WhereRWe?
03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Watching your Travel Bugs travel the world! (And seeing the pictures of them in exotic places!) :D:D

hollora
03-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Enjoying the state with your children and grandchildren.

Ditto - to those who have said see beautiful places you would have never visited.

Receiving a canoe, caching trip for Mother's Day gift.

Learning that mud isn't always used for a facial but really cushions your fall.

vicbiker
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I have often been asked what was the best part of my cross country bicycle trip? The answer is always the same. The people I met on the journey. This is true of all life's journeys. Geocaching has given me the chance to meet some awesome people. No other sport has such a diversified group of people. Maybe the best part is we can all do this for the rest of our lives.

Cache Maine
03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
geocoin trading

pathtags

roadtrips to far away places just to geocache

Kacky
03-04-2008, 11:26 AM

OUCH! That hurts. :o

Cache Maine
03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
reaffirming your love of nature

hollora
03-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Doing something fun with your son-in-law and making him laugh

Having a reason to get out of your pajamas to run for an FTF

It has honed my pot-luck skills and challenged me to do trail cooking

I have learned to love tenting again with my kids

Team Richards
03-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Being with my boys
Teaching them what I know about the outdoors
Going for a FTF in your Pajamas
Meeting all the people I would never have met.
Seeing all kinds of cool places
Seeing Geocoins
Snowshoeing
It's a lot more fun than shoveling

Kaching Karen
03-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Caching with four generations in your family.

Caching with new friends. Caching with old friends (a few of hit the big "5-0" last year).

Banging up your body... (hey, did I motivate someone to take his Wilderness First Aid course?)

Exercise

Just plain fun....

Team2hunt
03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
discovering New England and the beautiful places you won't find on any map ;)

the exercise and new ways to enjoy the great outdoors :p

the thrill of the find :D

stories that will last forever :cool:

Foxgloves.....those cute little mittens that the fox wear in the Winter :rolleyes:

All of you.......:)

Cache Maine
03-04-2008, 08:00 PM
GW5 and the crew that made the trek

larger than life travel bugs

the "filter"

being introduced to "garlic sauce" during hospitality night at the BW in NC

hollora
03-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Showing my 80+ year old Aunt about Geocaching while she yelled from the car - It's got to e right behind the leaf on that sign

Having a cousin take time out of a roadtrip on New Years day so I could find a cache in TN

I think I mentioned but in case I didn't - and hey, they deserve it again - the special friends in my life

Taking on a kayak trip (borrowing a kayak) and actually kayaking in the ocean for a camping trip (thanks everyone for believing in me!)

Enjoying nature in a new and different way.......ah, the views

Hiking with my son, with me huffing and puffing, and him saying - "Mom, you're doing great - take your time - we have all the time in the World!"

Enjoying the First cache for a Granddaughter and a co-FTF!

Kacky
03-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Muggle evasion techniques.

Opalsns
03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Getting close to my big brother again!

Learning about geocaching from him!!

Having him sneak up from RI on the day of the WWWWWW4, surprise me to tears and make my first placed cache ... his 100th find!!!!!!!

FuddsGirls
03-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Getting close to my big brother again!

Learning about geocaching from him!!

Having him sneak up from RI on the day of the WWWWWW4, surprise me to tears and make my first placed cache ... his 100th find!!!!!!!
THAT is very cool!!

cache finds by boat with the kids
long motorcycle trips with the husband

pjpreb
03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Reconnecting with my very best friend and better half...

Great threads like this...

Great people like you!

Mapachi
03-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Oh yes! That feeling I got on my very first cache find! Most things I do in life never feel as good the second time as the first. Finding my second cache was just as exciting as the first! As was the third!

"Oh what a glorious sport this be; that would give me repeated rapture with each new endeavor to uncover that which is hidden!"

But alas, I wax poetic.

chibongo
03-06-2008, 03:40 PM
All the really cool places I have seen.

we3beans
03-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Renewd sense that I can do it (climb a mountain, traipse through a swamp).
seeing the J-dude 'find' a treasure & his love for having his own gps.
great friends.

EMSDanel
03-07-2008, 11:52 PM
I can't begin to tell you how geocaching has improved my health

EMSDanel
03-07-2008, 11:55 PM
When I can snowshoe in to a mountaintop cache with a headlamp.....watch the sun come up over the horizon....then come back out in time to go to work.. believe me, life is good....!

EMSDanel
03-08-2008, 12:09 AM
A brand new cache is published, and I travel many miles to it at 5:00am, only to arrive at the exact moment that my headlights reveal a very good geocaching friend placing his hands on the FTF. We share coffee and I then tell him of a specific place that I was going to place a cache but that he might be more interested in (he's interested in wetlands/bird habitat). Three weeks later he placed a cache there. These are the kind of geostories that make this all worthwhile.

kayaking loon
03-08-2008, 08:39 AM
The memories of being out in the woods, especially very early in the morning, the beautiful scenery. Finding that cache in Jackman, under the bridge, and having Becket's moose come out to help. Sunrise from the Height of Land. Hoping (and getting) a great new signature item for my collection. The happiness I feel when someone finds (and likes) my caches and the places that I put them. AND, the new friends I am making along the way....

Cache Maine
03-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Boy, 1000 is a lot of reasons, but we are getting there!

Can mud be a reason? It's fun to get dirty some times....especially if you are in search of a cache!

hollora
03-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Boy, 1000 is a lot of reasons, but we are getting there!

Can mud be a reason? It's fun to get dirty some times....especially if you are in search of a cache!

Let's not mention the mud - I am usually sprawled in it LOL:eek: And in that case I am thankful when the cache is by a lake so I can wash off before getting in the car!;)

Medawisla
03-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Lasting memories, like geocaching on the last two wedding anniversaries, the first of which we flipped the jeep!!:eek::o

hollora
03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks Steph - that reminds me - of the kids saying, "Mom, what do you want for Mother's day?" Answer was, "You to take me in your canoe to the Island on Field's Pond so I can get the cache over there!" Result - We did it together and had a fun day. A Mother's Day and cache I will never forget! Ya, just gotta love it!

Team2hunt
03-13-2008, 06:00 PM
CACHE RUN! and caching after dark on Red Bull. :)